[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ports

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: kombat ports.jpg (146KB, 651x765px) Image search: [Google]
kombat ports.jpg
146KB, 651x765px
>Japanese devs
"We will only port the game if it makes sense, and we will port it to the best of our abilities."

>American devs
"POOOOOORTS. PORT IT TO EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN. PORT IT TO THE AMIGA, C64, SNES, GENESIS, NES, GAMEBOY, ATARI LYNX, JAGUAR, DOS, etc"

Why was this the mentality of the 90's?
>>
$$$$
>>
File: Castlevania_-_Box_scan_2.jpg (173KB, 640x899px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_-_Box_scan_2.jpg
173KB, 640x899px
A lot of the ports could have been done so much better if only they cared a little bit more.
Instead we got shit like Castlevania on Amiga that has weird visual glitches and input lag so you can't even jump and whip properly.
It's like some shit was coded by a 13 year old who was using that project to teach himself 68000 asm.
Even the DOS EGA port turned out more smooth and playable, that's how retarded this shit was.
>>
>>3334692
>amigavania
inb4 australia-kun
>>
>>3334692
>complaining about the controls in Amigavania
Git gud scrub.
>>
Gameboy mortal kombat was the bomb
>>
When you make a game everyone wants regardless o f platform then you make a version for everything, even kiddy MK for the game boy. Btw a "cute" MK in gb format would be dope af
>>
>>3334741
There are a ton of bootleg HK ports of mortal kombat games on famicom, I bet an SD mortal kombat could actually be good
>>
File: SNES_US_front.jpg (61KB, 640x474px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_US_front.jpg
61KB, 640x474px
>"We will only port the game if it makes sense, and we will port it to the best of our abilities."

Funny part is that there are other ports so horrible that SNES version is actually pretty good in comparison
>>
>>3334738
Finally, someone that agrees with me. So many people love to shit on this port because they're bad at games.
>>
File: mkdagba.jpg (37KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
mkdagba.jpg
37KB, 498x500px
Sometimes ports are better than the regular version of the game.

Pic related.
>>
>>3337393
Nintendo wanted a launch title and fast tracked that one
>>
>>3334630
But no MK on Turbographx-16
>>
>>3334630
>Why was this the mentality of the 90's?

Money.

And it's not like the jap devs did not port to all systems if they could - name one system released after 1996 that does not have a Puyo Puyo game for example.
>>
>>3334630

Japanese arcade games were also ported to literally everything in the 80's/early 90's.
>>
>>3334630
Yeah because SF2 wasn't totally ported to fucking everything
>>
>>3339639
Originally just ported to SNES.
>>
>>3339651

No, it was "originally" released in arcades and ported to the SNES first, though other ports also came out in the same year.
>>
>>3334692
ever seen amiga sf2? its an atrocity
>>
>>3339682
No, wasn't really into fighting games those days. A friend had Body Blows and I guess it was alright. It just wasn't my favorite kind of game.
Wish I had kept my A500 all these years though. I'd gladly play Caslevania all the way through if that was the price to not have to suffer all this PC shit. Computers suck now.
>>
>>3334692
If you read development stories about certain ports to home computers it's no wonder they suck so much.

Basically it went like this:

>Anon, we need an Amiga version of this game
>Here is the game
>We don't have any source code from other platforms
>Rip the art yourself
>And it should be done yesterday
>Good luck!
>>
>>3334692
The title screen though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsAwiMx-IFw
>>
>>3340420
Sometimes they didn't even get the game: they had to go to an arcade that had the game, play it, take notes, and mostly remake the game from memory.
>>
File: Mario_Bros._-_1984_-_Atari.jpg (152KB, 964x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mario_Bros._-_1984_-_Atari.jpg
152KB, 964x1080px
>>3334630
You were saying?
>>
>>3342289
Mario Bros is maybe one of the simplest games to port to anything. Shit doesn't even have screen scrolling transitions
>>
>>3334692
Amiga Castlevania was actually made by a Hungarian dev IIRC.
>>
>Japanese arcade port (eg. anything on the NES)
>made by professional coders/graphics artists/musicians with up to a year to work on it
>game had to be certified by a review board before it could be deemed fit for release

>US/Yuropoor arcade port
>made by like one guy with a machine language monitor
>in a couple of weeks

Some of the very few good quality computer ports were done on the MSX because Konami were porting their own arcade games so of course they knew how everything worked and had access to the original source code of the arcade game. Plus it helped that back then, Konami's arcade PCBs all used Z80s and so did the MSX which meant they could reuse a lot of code.
>>
>>3342462
Yeh but none of the ports except the Apple II got the falling icicles.
>>
>>3344825
>Konami's arcade PCBs
they mostly used motorola processors iirc

the z80 only handled sound
>>
>>3344825
It's common knowlegde that the best Euro ports are inofficial or never released.
>>
>>3344954
Not pre-1986 they didn't. The early 80s stuff like Frogger all used Z80s.
>>
>>3344971
>inofficial
>>
>>3334630
im proud to see a saturn game.
>>
>>3344971
>The best Euro ports were never released.
>>
>>3345878
Snow Bros on Amiga is quite good
>>
>>3339659
So what he said then?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.