[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AD&D Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: por.png (396KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
por.png
396KB, 640x400px
I want to start playing the old AD&D games, I mean the Gold Box ones and their contemporaries. Basically anything pre-Baldur's Gate goes. Which games should I play? Which ones should I avoid? Are they difficult to get into?
>>
Eye of the Beholder for the SNES, and Warriors of the Sun for the Genesis. The first one is your classic dungeon crawler, while the second one is an open world, Ultima type game.
>>
>>3331478
Didn't those games originally release for PC? Why go for console ports?
>>
Just play the Forgotten Realms gold box series in order:

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness

Make sure to get the adventurers journals and read them as you play.
>>
>>3331517
Are those like a manual? Also what about the games from other settings like Al-Qadim or Ravenloft? Are they worth playing?
>>
>>3331526
For each game there is a manual, adventurer's journal and a cluebook. The journals are essential because in addition to providing bacstory and world lore they will have entries that will be referred to in the game. So for example if you find a map or there's a long piece of dialogue the game will tell you to read journal entry so and so.

I've only played the FR ones so far but the others are probably nice too.
>>
>>3331517
>Just
Dragonlance is a lot better imho. DQoK is the best-written, best-executed gold box game.
>>
>>3331517
>>3331585
All of the Gold Box games are damn well worth playing. This includes the Savage Frontier series (in which Treasures is probably the most technically advanced and non-linear of all). I wouldn't miss on a single one of them.
>>
I like pretty much all the ssi d&d games even the more action oriented ones like hillsfar
>>
File: hillsfar_01.jpg (299KB, 713x1052px) Image search: [Google]
hillsfar_01.jpg
299KB, 713x1052px
>>3331643
The ad says you can transfer PoR character. Does that mean you can also transfer him back?
>>
>>3331669
You can transfer Hillsfar characters to Curse of Azure Bonds, but from Hillsfar to PoR I don't think so.
>>
Do the GoG versions come with the journals and shit? How do you get around the copy protection in them I wonder.
>>
>>3331761
They do come with the journals, manuals, cluebooks and all that stuff, at least it says so on the store page. Haven't bought the games yet so I don't know about the copy protection.
>>
>>3331947
GOG versions have copy protection disabled. Additionally they've included a little rune translator app that replaces the codewheel that came with the games that was used for copy protection because sometimes you need it during play as well.
>>
Ok. Get UAE and play the Amiga versions. Have fun.
>>
File: alqadim.jpg (308KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
alqadim.jpg
308KB, 1200x750px
How about Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse? I heard it's a mix of Zelda and D&D. Anyone played it?
>>
>>3332319
I like it, its more like an adventure game than zelda but its really fun. I like most the ssi games eotb, dark sun, dungeon hack is pretty fun randomly generated dungeon crawler
>>
I wish gog would release the damn heroes of the lance games I have like every other SSI game on there. I just need the heroes of the lance games :(
>>
File: spelljammer2.png (229KB, 300x383px) Image search: [Google]
spelljammer2.png
229KB, 300x383px
>>3334792
I know the pain, I'm waiting for Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace. Would be amazing if they managed to make it not crash on modern systems every 5 minutes.
>>
>>3335541
>Would be amazing if they managed to make it not crash on modern systems every 5 minutes

Given that the only way you're running that thing on a modern system is in DOSBox, I doubt you have to worry much about crashes.
>>
>>3331526
I played a bit of Dark Sun 2 (I think it was 2), wasn't bad.
>>
A shame wizards of the coast abandoned almost every classic setting except for Forgotten Realms pretty much. Lots of awesome games took place in those worlds, much more interesting than just medieval fantasy.
>>
>>3338573
Mystara is a huge shame. :(
>>
>>3338573
All the information still exists though. You can run a Spelljammer or Placescape campaign just fine with the new rules.
>>
These AD&D games were some of the worst games ever made. Can't believe I wasted so much time playing them as a kid.
>>
>>3338654
What's bad about them?
>>
>>3338636
Well you can run pen & paper (although spelljammer would require some serious thought with ship to ship combat, unless there already are such rules for 5e, I don't follow it). What I meant is that we will never see any kind of new product in those settings, including video games. We still have the classics, but you can only beat them so many times.
>>
>>3338729

Nothing, that anon is a liar
>>
>>3338797
Well, they recently released an adventure set in Castle Ravenloft.
Also, late Dragon Magazine supported Ravenloft and Dark Sun a bit, but... oh, yeah. Freakin' morons killed off the damn magazine. Sitting on a pile of gold, and they just nearly killed off the hobby.

There was also Shadow of the Spider Moon for 3.5, it was a conversion of Spelljammer of sorts.

>>3338573
Well D&D IS basically medieval, sword-and-sorcery fantasy, to be fair.
Personally I got bored of Forgotten Realms because of the setting specific stuff. And the fact they kept pushing it like there's no tomorrow.
>>
>>3339167
Also, the Dark Sun and Ravenloft support were for 4th edition, forgot to mention.
>>
>>3338797
Just play 2nd edition and ignore the endless splatbooks. You can even add a simple skill system if you really want to (I mean, instead of the nonweapon proficiencies thing).
>>
File: hillsfarbouttogetenriched.png (93KB, 1285x985px) Image search: [Google]
hillsfarbouttogetenriched.png
93KB, 1285x985px
Got some manowar playing bout to ride to hillsfar to fuck shit up.
>>
>>3340329
I never managed to complete this game. I rolled a mage and was put off by the complete lack of magic in this game (due to it being outlawed in Hillsfar as far as the lore goes). But the storyline was decent. Maybe I should try again.
>>
>>3340359
just make a dindu and when you get sick of picking locks just smash the chests open. Although that gets expensive if you get hit by lots of traps
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.