[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good laptop for playing DOS games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: stunts_14.png (7KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
stunts_14.png
7KB, 320x200px
Suggest me a good laptop for playing Dos games?

It needs to have a nice quality 640x480 backlit TFT that can play 320x200 games 2x without ugly scaling.

Good Sound Blaster Pro emulation.

Preferably Pentium 1.
>>
get an old ass thinkpad
>>
>90s laptops
>TFT
Color laptops all used PVA back then, they switched to TFT in the 2000s for cost reasons.

>good SB Pro emulation
>laptop

In fact just wanting a laptop from that era is asking for a lot because very few working examples are left so good luck finding one. Laptops lead a harder life than desktops...
>>
Easy. You can install DOSBox on any current laptop and play all the games you want without the horror of adjusting CONFIG.SYS files. ;)
>>
>>3329471

There are good PVA-displays.

Passive matrix displays of that era were terrible.
>>
>>3329493
By the late 90s (which is what OP is talking about) they didn't have passive matrix laptop displays anymore. That had disappeared by 1994.
>>
I guess find the most recent laptop that has working drivers for Win98, since you can boot to DOS in Win9x. Maybe WinME laptop will work too.
With Thinkpad laptops it's pretty easy to tell because they still have drivers for old laptops on their website. At least last time I went there they did, but that was a few years ago (sadly don't have a Thinkpad anymore).
>>
OP is probably under the age of 20 judging by his post.
>>
I'm not kidding. If he actually knew the sheer headache of trying to set up a DOS game on real iron instead of DOSBox, he wouldn't want to try it. I've done it and it's not pretty.
>>
>>3329564

Yeah it's so fucking hard.

You can download a bootdisk that has mouse and sb drivers and enough EMS available to play any pre dos4gw game.

>>3329518

The problem is to find a laptop with decent 640x480 display. By the end of 90s most laptops had 800x600 screens. 320x200 games look terrible scaled to 800x600.

>>3329475
>>3329564

What are you even doing on this board? There are people who want to play old games on a real hardware.
>>
>>3329627
Have you read OP post? The moment where he thought a 90s laptop has good SB Pro emulation is the point where he lost any ability to be taken seriously.
>>
>>3329627
>There are people who want to play old games on a real hardware
Putting a cartridge in a Gameboy isn't _quite_ the same thing as this. No human being alive today would have the patience to put with what PC gamers in 1994 did.
>>
I actually have a genuine Thinkpad 380D with Windows 95 OSRB and I'm not selling it, so don't ask.
>>
>>3329928
Incidentally, I tried installing Ultimate Football '95 on it and after trying and trying and trying, I could not free enough conventional memory without losing the necessary sound and CD drivers. I finally ragequit and just installed it on DOSBox on my new PC.

Now you see why OP doesn't know what he's in for.
>>
Seriously though, just use DOSBox. It's perfectly fine and indistinguishable from the real hardware for 80% of DOS games.
>>
>>3329627
fuck that, playing dos games in dosbox kicks ass. would never go back.
>>
>>3329709
And a P1 is hardly the original hardware for most games.
>>
>>3330209
A Pentium 1 can run pretty much all VGA-era DOS games, which is the only stuff most people care about anyway (go on Vogons and it's about 80% discussion of 1991-96 era games)
>>
File: suicide frog.jpg (18KB, 300x330px) Image search: [Google]
suicide frog.jpg
18KB, 300x330px
>>3329471
>In fact just wanting a laptop from that era is asking for a lot because very few working examples are left so good luck finding one. Laptops lead a harder life than desktops...

>tfw you remember as a child going to a computer show at the fairgrounds with your dad
>tfw the laptops with Windows 95 running on them, all new and shiny with the vendors proudly showing them off
>tfw almost all of them now are buried in the bottom of a landfill or have been shipped to China to be ground up to make iPhones
>>
>>3330331
The least you could have done was crop out the vgmemes.com logo.
>>
>>3330321
And the Pentium came out in 1993. A 386 or 486 is way more authentic.
>>
>>3330331
*clears throat* Yes well, I do happen to have a genuine Windows 95 laptop and no, I'm not selling it and you can't have it and neither can the Foxconn factory in Shenzhen.
>>
>>3329627
>The problem is to find a laptop with decent 640x480 display
>320x200 games look terrible scaled to 800x600
they look even worse scaled to 640x480. What you want is insanely high resolution of a modern laptop, so you can integer scale most things.

>play old games on a real hardware
laptop's not the way to go then. In the (late) DOS days they were workhorses, not suitable for playing, really
>>
>>3330350
1993 was right during the DOS game era although of course no Pentiums except servers existed at that time.

But I mean, hey, who cares, right? I had a Pentium with Windows 98 SE and it ran every DOS game I threw at it except for some of the really old stuff that needs an 8088/CGA combo to run.
>>
>>3330352
1920x1200 is perfect for 320x200. You can either scale both axis by 6 or you scale x by 5 and y by 6 to change the aspect ratio to 4:3.

Scaling is hardly the biggest problems of ancient LCD. Ghosting is a huge problem and refresh rate can also cause issues.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.