[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me why Paladin's Quest is so highly praised

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: paladins-quest-02.png (297KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
paladins-quest-02.png
297KB, 640x480px
Can someone tell me why Paladin's Quest is so highly praised on the Internet? I mean, maybe I'm just a pleb, but I genuinely don't see what's so unbelievably amazing about this game.
>>
It probably was the first JRPG for a lot of people, which is usually the reason people overrate mediocre games like FFIV or Earthbound

I've never seen much praise for it though, as far as I am concerned people seem to agree it was mediocre at best
>>
>>3329301
I guess maybe it's just hipsters. But there are a weird amount of people and websites on the Internet that talk about how it's just so amazing and unique and such an underappreciated gem and the story and setting are so deceptively deep like omg.

Honestly I think the game seems, like you said, mediocre at best, and the story seems very generic.
>>
>>3329270
Contrary to what legitimate autists will say, people love different. This was "different" (read: new) to a lot of people as >>3329301 said.

When casuals played videogames in ye olden days, they weren't expecting deep stories or varying choices. You just jump/shoot on enemies and get points. The first "complex" game these people come across they will praise heavily as some huge milestone in gaming, which is why "timeless classics" like Earthbound become so overrated.

So yes, it's just people going "Look at this new toy! It's got more buttons than the older toys!" and thinking it's the best game ever.
>>
>>3329270
It gets praised? The mercernary system was pretty cool but aside from that I thought the game was pretty mediocre. It sure has a nice, colourful, whimsical graphical look but outside of that, not even the soundtrack was amazing IIRC.

Lennus 2 is supposed to be better but I've never tried it.
>>
>>3329270
Game was shit
>>
>>3329270
It looked pretty. That's about it.

It's pretty experimental otherwise but most of the different ideas aren't awesome. For example, you cast from hitpoints all the time and the main character's a mage.
>>
>>3329270
I didn't realise it got praised at all. User ratings and Critic reviews are all pretty mediocre.
>>
>>3329301
>>3329323
Golly gee willikers an anti earthbound circlejerk, never see those here.

Earthbound is a simple but interesting dragon quest clone, although not genre changing its a decewasgame that had some pretty interesting concepts for 1994. Don't berate it just because you personally don't enjoy it.
>>
>>3329385
This.

>crappy music that sounds like Crazy Bus
>stupid HP-based magic system
>ugly graphical designs
>>
>>3329270
I kinda like it for reasons I am not entirely sure about. I got it being an eurofag in the time when RPGs were a new thing for me (early 90s), this game never got released here so it was "exotic", and so played it through.
I liked some points of the battle system (notably the bottles and cast-from-HP mechanic) and had a few nice moments (the final fight was fun) and music (boss themes only, though). But it was admittedly rather mediocre, and the ending sucked infinite balls. The visual design gets points for originality, but that doesn't make it less ugly.
I gotta admit, thinking about it, this is one of the few games I exclusively like because "I played it back in the day", without any real merit to it.

Anyway, OP, you might be confusing HG101's opinion for "the internet", because I never heard anyone praising this game in two decades, before that article posted this week.
>>
>>3330884
I haven't read the HG101 article, but I have seen weird amounts of praise on other websites whenever the game comes up.
>>
If Earthbound or Paladin's Quest was your first RPG at least the bar was set really really low.
>>
>>3329270
>Paladin's Quest is so highly praised on the Internet

"no"
>>
>>3330884
I liked the ending, you got closure with everyone you met during your adventure, which is rather unusual.
Live forever, Chezni and Midia!
>>
>>3329270
I've played this game start to finish like 5 times first time when I was in middl school, and last time a few years ago, and honestly, I think it's okay but nothing special, although it's pretty original for what it does. The spell system where the combinations of the 8 elements create each spell is pretty cool, as is the fact that you cast from hp, and don't have any healing spell, makes the battles somewhat hectic as you're always running on limited heals from the bottles. Lacks a bit on sidequests and collectable shit, and it's got some pretty bullshit thing going on with the Gomutai, the super secret sword that the game silently rolls for at the beginning of the game. If it fails the 50% roll, it can never drop on that file. Other than that, it has lots of equipment, quirky characters, the right amount of feels without being outright depressing, and the mercenaries are well diversified and make for interesting party members, many of them with some unique gimmick (the cheap one that steals from you, the brothers you get together, one of which is weak but can become immensely strong if you train him enough, the robot who can't be healed, etc.)
Also it has battles with tons of enemies onscreen, quick and simple menus, weird architecture and nature, with a good use of colors, and some nice plot twists and scenarios.
Now if only the walking speed wasn't a fucking crawl and random encounters weren't so annoying...
>>
>>3330884
>HG101
Those cunts wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the balls.
>>
>>3334276
I think it only comes across that way because a lot of what the site is concerned with isn't normally viewed as good right away. An article doesn't always mean the game is good, just that it's a curiosity.

The article itself said from the get go that it straddled the line between bad and weird.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.