[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CRT/ Thread : MEGA edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 528
Thread images: 114

File: CRT Mega edition.jpg (1MB, 2139x2430px) Image search: [Google]
CRT Mega edition.jpg
1MB, 2139x2430px
Previous thread: >>3309078
This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
An Anon's Guide to CRT Hunting: http://pastebin.com/H9H9L2LQ
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
BKM-10R Protocol Information: http://pastebin.com/aTUWf33J
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 1024x912px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 1024x912px
Toot toot...anti-PVM train rolling through. Friendly reminder that retro games were meant to be played on retro consumer grade sets and you can find them for $0-$50 easily...toot toot
>>
>go to garage sale
>a fucking pioneer laseractive

boys
how do i get RGB out of this thing?
>>
>>3328687
you don't
>>
>>3328687
with what card(s)
>>
>>3328743
No "cards" (assuming you mean NEC games). Came with the sega module, 2 sega cd games, and 2 MLD games. Also picked up some LD movies.

>>3328719
I hear that RGB can be gotten from the PACs. It doesn't seem well documented, which is understandable considering the rarity.
>>
>>3328845
was talking about the PAC module(s), yeah.

only info I found is here
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/laseractivergb.htm

alternatively, follow rgb traces comming from the FC1004 to see where they end.
>>
File: NO_SCART.png (64KB, 1262x1262px) Image search: [Google]
NO_SCART.png
64KB, 1262x1262px
Threadly reminder not to fall for the SCART meme.
>>
So larger CRTs have worse geometry, convergence, and focus?

What is the sweet spot where you get the best balance of screen size and picture quality for CRTs?

Is this sweet spot different for flat, semiflat(trinitron), and curved CRTs?
>>
>>3328958
large tubes can have perfect geo.
it's flat and/or short tubes that exhibit more problems.
>>
>>3328687
Laserdiscs are composite only so the games may be composite only as well.
>>3328894
use a trip so i can filter you
after getting btfo last thread you really should shut up.
>>
>>3328958
Take what you can get the rules arent set in stone, some flatscreens have ok geometry (besides you can just bump up the overscan provided the geometry isnt extremely noticeable.) etc

dont listen to that anon talking about 'artifacts' on 20" screens, hes a fucking retard.
>>
File: 1334013469195.jpg (39KB, 649x536px) Image search: [Google]
1334013469195.jpg
39KB, 649x536px
>>3328981
>after getting btfo last thread you really should shut up.
>>
If you hook up a PC to a CRT TV and use a scanline filter, can you get a sharp-looking image from 480i? Alternatively, what's the best way to hook up a PC to a CRT and play emulators in 240p?
>>
>>3328994
Im not doing this every single thread
dont have it in me to argue with you and 20cuck every thread to just have ad hominems thrown back because you cant think of anything else logical to say.
>>
>>3329030
I was more curious about what state of mind led you to believe you "btfo'd" anyone.
>>
>>3329035
When i refute every one of you and 20cuck's arguments and you cant say anything but ad hominems back and never reply again
:^)

daily reminder you two and the '20" has artifacts' guy are the biggest retards i've seen, but you should use a trip because ill actually filter you whereas 20cuck has a decent amount of knowledge just all the wrong opinions.
>>
File: 1354601172087.jpg (269KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1354601172087.jpg
269KB, 1280x720px
>>3329053
>When i refute every one of you and 20cuck's arguments
The delusion is strong on this one.
>>
>>3329053
I'd say your position is more one of rebuttal than refutation but nonetheless I stand by you.

SCART needs a few more informed defenders around here.
>>
Off to a great start already, I see.
>>
File: logh95a[1].png (419KB, 629x480px) Image search: [Google]
logh95a[1].png
419KB, 629x480px
>>3329060
>he thinks hes right after being proven wrong
>he has these weaboo pictures saved on his pc
This is too good
>>
File: 1404432553687.jpg (10KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1404432553687.jpg
10KB, 224x225px
>>3329067
>Thinks that him being unskilled is somehow an argument
>complaints about mongolian cave drawings in a mongolian website
>>
File: stfu you two.jpg (132KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
stfu you two.jpg
132KB, 450x338px
At some point, one of you needs to pretend to be the adult and let it fucking drop.
>>
File: willsmith240.jpg (31KB, 212x240px) Image search: [Google]
willsmith240.jpg
31KB, 212x240px
>>3329070
>thinks i want to solder mangled cables or use RGB at all
>>
File: 1347700416705.jpg (21KB, 240x410px) Image search: [Google]
1347700416705.jpg
21KB, 240x410px
>>3329078
>>thinks i want to solder mangled cables or use RGB at all
>>
>>3328981
>Laserdiscs are composite only so the games may be composite only as well.
Yeah I plan to leave the laseractive unmodded for that reason. However, I want RGB for the Sega and Sega CD functionality. I'll look into modding in RGB when I recap the Sega module.
>>
>>3328580
>50 Hz
>>
>>3329147
>implying I didn't 60hz mod the thing
you can even see the switches
>>
>>3329147
>>
Do PC CRT monitors have the same problems with geometry, convergence and focus that CRT Televisions do?

Does it make a difference if the PC CRT is flat or curved?

What are the best and worst brands in PC CRTs?

What is the largest commonly available (findable on craigslist) screen size of PC CRT?

What do you think is the smallest tolerable size of PC CRT to use for retrogaming?

What do you think is the smallest tolerable size of CRT Television to use for retrogaming?

What are the best and worst brands of CRT Television?
>>
>>3329225
>Do PC CRT monitors have the same problems with geometry, convergence and focus that CRT Televisions do?
Usually less, because of available geo adjustments and deeper tube relative to screen size

>Does it make a difference if the PC CRT is flat or curved?
not really IMO

That captcha when you select in succession NEVER FUCKING WORKS

>What are the best and worst brands in PC CRTs?
Sony, Mitsubishi, NEC...

>What is the largest commonly available (findable on craigslist) screen size of PC CRT?
no idea

>What do you think is the smallest tolerable size of PC CRT to use for retrogaming?
17", 15" maybe

>What do you think is the smallest tolerable size of CRT Television to use for retrogaming?
14" I guess

>What are the best and worst brands of CRT Television?
I dunno about worst, but Sony have the unique aperture grille.
>>
File: stalfos.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
stalfos.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>3328104
>how many times have you done that?
Personally? Once. One for a friend who runs a game store. I want to do it to my Toshiba 27" set, but RGB modding this N64 will take priority over that. The service manual makes it very clearly possible.
Service manuals and jungle IC datasheets indicate that a LOT of consumer US sets have normal line-level RGB inputs in the form of an OSD.

IIRC this is a cellphone pic. Just looking at the thumbnail.
>>
>>3329280
ah, nope, nevermind.

>>3328627
toot toot... It's alright to say it once but once it's copypasta people will stop listening even if you're right.
>>
>>3328845
Take pics of the inside; it's possible the Sega module at least could get RGB.
>>
>>3329030
I don't throw ad hominems unless you claim that your personal opinion is a universal truth. Then and only then will I call you fucking retarded.
>>
>>3329225
PC CRTs are typically made to a higher standard than a consumer TV. Convergence is a MUCH smaller issue. I've yet to own a PC CRT with noticeable convergence defects, although they do exist at the bottom of the barrel.

Broadcast monitors typically are made to similar standards as PC monitors but operate at lower frequencies. They often even use PC monitor tubes.
>>
>>3329247
You missed matsushita (panasonic, JVC).

Also in the mid 2000s there were non-sony aperture grilles for a brief time.

Okay, I'll stop quintuple-posting for a while and check back later.
>>
On an earlier CRT thread I heard rumours about this CRT collecting blogger from Europe who dislikes Sony CRTs and aperture grilles and says they're overrated.

How could he hold such an opinion? Is there any reason to believe that?
>>
>>3329372
Sony was pretty much the only company offering AG displays for most of the life of crts. It could be argued that since Sony was only one brand (although popular), a majority of people worldwide didn't use Sony crts and the look of most games weren't 'intended' for AG or designed specifically to be played on them. This is especially true for the broadcast stuff that consumers would never have had access to our be able to afford.

Some visual effects in games simply look better on shadowmask (although this is subjective and the reverse could be said for AG).
>>
sometimes even if i know i had my PC CRT finely tuned, i turn it on and it moved slightly to the right
why does this happen?

its a NEC FE990
I have it in the same room as my guitar amp, dunno if that could cause some magnetic field or something (my guitar for example picks up a bit of static noise if im in front of my CRT)
>>
>>3328894
American detected.
>>3329027
>can you get a sharp-looking image from 480i
Not really, it'll be really flickery.
>Alternatively
CRT Emudriver, windows 7, VGA->Component transcoder.
>>3329372
I have a sony crt but i prefer shadow mask screens. Sony's are too sharp.
>>
>>3329674
It might just need to warm up. Geometry on my PC CRT is odd for the first 20 minutes.
>>
>>3328967
Don't say that flats have bad geometry :/ I love my trini 27fs120
>>
>>3329880
(put on your peril-sensitive sunglasses if you can't handle tough truths.)
Ignore facts and they'll go away.

Decent flatscreens exist, but the best flatscreen will still be lesser than the best rounded screen.
>>
>>3329720
480i can look sharp and only marginally more flickery. Flicker depends a lot on the decay time of the phosphors in use. Lightbulbs work on a 60hz (50 in europe) cycle too, but you don't notice those flickering.

Sharpness depends a lot on how much the odd and even fields overlap, too.
>>
>>3329648
Non-sony broadcast monitors exist, remember?
Ikegami, Conrac, Asaca/Shibasoku, Matsushita (JVC and Panasonic), for instance. I only know of two non-sony aperture grille broadcast monitors, and those are from Matsushita.
>>
File: LTTP-New.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
LTTP-New.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>3329372
>On an earlier CRT thread I heard rumours about this CRT collecting blogger from Europe who dislikes Sony CRTs and aperture grilles and says they're overrated.

>How could he hold such an opinion? Is there any reason to believe that?

Let me flip this on it's head.

>The youtubers all like Sony PVMs, and this guy on Shmups (Fudoh) wrote a manifesto about how they were the best. He says all other technologies pale in comparison to the one true monitor (tm), the BVM-20F1U.

>How could he hold such an opinion? Is there any reason to believe that?
Nothing you hear should be taken for truth without thinking critically.

A flaw on the surface with aperture grilles is the dampening wire (or wires) that prevent vibrations of the wires and also cause thin horizontal dark lines on the screen.

I personally prefer the softer image that a 'tri-dot' shadow mask makes, and prefer my Panasonic BT-H1390YN to both my 20" PVMs (1944Q and 20L5). Everything is subjective; there is no reason to think an aperture grille is universally better OR worse. Try both and draw your own conclusions.
>>
File: rINL2yI.jpg (2MB, 1893x1420px) Image search: [Google]
rINL2yI.jpg
2MB, 1893x1420px
Oh dear, quintuple post again.

Compare to >>3330048 - this is the 20L5.
>>
File: YbvKUiY.jpg (32KB, 639x475px) Image search: [Google]
YbvKUiY.jpg
32KB, 639x475px
>people who buy SCART cables and add unnecessary complexity and adaptors when they already have the RGB capable console and a non-SCART RGB monitor
>needing a sync stripper from a console that outputs csync and defending buying SCART because you can fit a sync stripper in the massive plug
>>
>>3330009
I guess I'll not be getting a 36 inch. Not until I find a Nec XP plus.
>>
>>3330113
I'm not getting a 36" because 27" is already huge as it is.

To each his own, I guess.
>>
>>3330013
>Sharpness depends a lot on how much the odd and even fields overlap, too.
is this a problem or high or low tvl TVs?
>>
>>3330113
If ebay is any judge of current CRT pricing on the XM29 (and presumably XP), I'd imagine that an XP37 would sell for over $1k.
>>
>>3330013
>Flicker depends a lot on the decay time of the phosphors in use.
In this case, he's right though. If the person is using a scanline filter and outputting at 480i, it's just going to look like flickery dog-shit.

>>3330048
I'd also like to point out that this oft repeated, stupid quote is one that should be attributed to the author of that tested article and not to Fudoh himself.

>>3330141
TVL is horizontal, not vertical, and that(vertical) is the spacing that comes into play in this situation.
>>
>>3330141
Higher TVL will have less overlap typically.
That's one thing my 20L5 does well - I used it as a TV for months. At or above ~450TVL it's pretty sharp in my experience; 600TVL is probably a point of diminishing returns from my experience, and you start getting black areas between 480i fields.
>>
>>3330153
True, but TVL has a large role in dot pitch and beam size, which impacts horizontal and vertical spacing.
>>
>>3330165
"After a crash course in the intricacies of CRT tech and the image processors used to upscale old consoles for modern displays (which Fudoh believes are an even better than the Sony BVM-20F1U) you too may be itching to drop a few hundred bucks on some of the best video gear ever made."
>>
>>3330153
Oh, he had a scanline filter AND 480i? sorry, didnt read again. Yeah, that'd be shit.

I believe Fudoh made the 20F1U claim that the Tested article took as gospel.
>>
>>3330170
However, he did say the 20F1U was the best CRT, even if he preferred a plasma and a scaler.
>>
>>3330107
Some monitors won't accept some consoles csync.
Also, resistors and caps.
>>
>>3330160
so seeing the black areas=flicker or what are you getting at.
>>
>>3330191
>some monitors don't accept csync
If they accept composite video they accept csync. If you have a genesis put a buffer in the console.
>Also, resistors and caps.
Resistors are typically unecessary outside europe. Caps can be added internally on the SNES and are unnecessary on the genesis.
>>
How much of an improvement is VGA over S-video for Dreamcast?
Is it night and day or do you have to stare hard to notice it?
>>
>>3330201
technically if you aren't daisy chaining caps aren't necessary on the SNES either.
>>
>>3330201
see
>>3310005
>>
File: ttl-to-1vpp.jpg (68KB, 836x397px) Image search: [Google]
ttl-to-1vpp.jpg
68KB, 836x397px
>>3330207
First off, SCART is not a requirement to use a sync stripper.
Second,
>However, once an LM1881 is on the way, it'll happily display anything...
He's not actually got a LM1881, he's expecting it to fix his problem.

He doesn't have to derive sync from composite video, though; he could buffer his sync signals and use a transistor-resistor configuration to get 1Vpp if he has one of those picky monitors (which are pretty rare).
>>
>>3330193
no, black areas are like the spaces between 240p lines, onl6 at a certain point you can see space between even 480i fields on high-resolution tubes.
>>
>>3330240
this.

Thank you for not calling the empty space 'scan lines'. I appreciate your accuracy.
>>
>>3330234
dude, wtf are you talking about.
*I* tested all this
*I* *actually* *used* an LM1881

I fuken used my home-made splitter that has one of the outputs with clean sync.
one works, the other don't.
>>
>>3330234
What is the benefit of that over an LM1881?

>>3330246
What would you rather they be called?
>>
>>3330191
dont reply to bait
>>
>>3330182
I'm not seeing this anywhere in the article, and in the "review" he did on the first page of the shmups thread, he calls it he best he's seen, not "the best, bar none".

>>3330207
Beat me to it.

>>3330204
VGA is a higher and progressive resolution than the interlaced one you'll be getting with S-Video. Some game will look better at the lower resolution however, be that over RGB or S-Video, due to either being designed for it or otherwise.

Most people opt for VGA for the DC though.

>>3330234
The post they linked to was, presumably, to a post they had made themselves and applied to their own situation. An LM1881 is the most simple solution to the issue in his case. They're just pointing out a case when accepting and displaying composite video DOESN'T mean it'll take CVid for sync.

And there's no need to bring SCART up yet again.
>>
>>3330254
sounded like you'd just ordered an LM1881 and it was in the mail.

That transistor-resistor circuit should absolutely work.
>>
>>3330258
>What is the benefit of that over an LM1881?
nothing, the fucker doesn't even know what this circuit is for.
>>
>>3330270
So, is that just a contrarian post?
>>
>>3330261
"best he's seen" = "I like unnaturally tiny lines of video with vast tracts of emptiness between" and "the best", since he can't claim something's better if he's never used it. I'm not aware of any TV monitors higher than 1000TVL.

He likes scalers and LCDs for retro games; therefore I don't respect his views on the matter as my tastes vary wildly from his.

the LM1881 would be a simple choice if he were talking about using composite video as sync, but it reads like he's referring to running pure csync into the monitor, or SCART style composite video input with the csync line swapped in. Theoretically, csync is just a pure black System M television signal.

You all should know my opinion on SCART, so I'll stay out of that.
>>
>3330291
>Theoretically
theorically every crt monitor is free (ツ)
>>
>>3330258
>what would you rather they be called?
The space between scan lines.

>What is the benefit of that over an LM1881?
Not him, but for me it'd be that I already have the parts at home and don't have to wait for mail. also I'm mad at TI for selling graphing calculators based on TRS-80 technology for $120 in 2016
>>
>>3330304
No, every CRT is not theoretically free.
Where the theory behind NTSC video is well understood and a composite of vertical and horizontal sync pulses with no additional changes in signal amplitude should result in a proper receiver displaying a pure black 525 line signal.
>>
>>3330291
>I don't respect his views on the matter as my tastes vary wildly from his.
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>3330314
he's free of respect (ツ)
>>
>>3330291
>He says all other technologies pale in comparison to the one true monitor (tm), the BVM-20F1U.
Those are your words, not mine; I'm simply calling you on your shit in repeating and attributing a quote to someone who never said it just because they have a different opinion to your own and that you don't care for them personally.
The post you were replying to seemed like an honest question: "Is there any reason to believe Trinitrons are over rated" and another anon managed to answer it perfectly fine without feeling to the need delve into such hyperbole.
>>
>>3330314
I also don't respect donald trump because his opinions are different from my own.

I mean no real offense to fudoh, but I don't consider his opinions on displays to be anything for me to take seriously, based on my experiences with what he'd call some of the best CRTs ever made. For 480i? maybe. Not for 240p.
>>
>>3330323
I used to believe Fudoh's shit, then I got the 20L5 and discovered that for me it wasn't really "all that".

My point was "draw your own conclusions".

I'll quote Fudoh directly, you can split hairs with the 'that I've ever seen' clause later.
>The BVM-20F1E is the very best CRT I've ever seen.

In my experience, while youncan claim to respect someone else's view while violently disagreeing with it, it really just comes down to NOT respecting their opinion but not wanting to fight over it, so yoy say "I respect your opinion but disagree." I speak directly most of the time for better or worse,
>>
>>3330314
I'd say that he meant something like "Sine fudoh's general display tastes differ from my own, I don't really put much stock in his tastes when forming my own preferences," but >>3330324 makes it sound like no, he means that if he disagrees with you he has no respect for you.
>>
>>3330347
That's a more 'correct' way of putting it. I don't put stock in his opinions, but I don't actually disrespect him as a person. Just his opinions on CRTs.
>>
>>3330324
>>3330346
You have something wrong with you.
>>
File: no-respect.jpg (28KB, 449x460px) Image search: [Google]
no-respect.jpg
28KB, 449x460px
>>3330356
Yes, it's called high functioning autism.
>>
>you like aperture grilles?
>youre a fucking idiot and nothing you say has any worth or legitimacy
>fuck off with your 'knowledge'
only a sith deals in absolutes
>>
>>3330375
I do not personally like aperture grilles, and my philosophy on CRTs is definitely aimed towards the kinds that people actually might have had. I have no huge beef with aperture grilles as a whole, I just don't like the super-high-TVL ones very much and like the aesthetic of some of the shadowmask sets. I don't put stock in fudoh's opinions, a.k.a. "not respecting them", after coming to that conclusion while trying to talk myself into liking the 20L5 more for months.

As one can have friends with weird religious practices and like them while not respecting their religious beliefs (in that they disagree with them), so I can differ in opinion on other topics. It was a mistake to use the word "respect" to begin with, now it's being used as cannon fodder.
>>
>3330387
>I do not personally like aperture grilles, and my philosophy on CRTs is definitely aimed towards the kinds that people actually might have had.

Give your L5 then.
Or is your """philosophy""" as solid as marshmallow (ツ)
>>
>>3330387
Obviously theres no room for others opinions and your ego.
No one is misunderstanding your use of the word respect.
>>
>>3330387
You arent just saying you dont like 1000TVL aperture grilles and scalers.

Youre saying that because someone else does that you cant ever think that anything else they think has even an ounce of worth or legitimacy.

Ie you only think in absolutes and it makes everyone sick.
>>
>Free20L5 guy's personal blog
>>
>>3330395
I use my 20L5 for non-240p content.
Also you're being a dick so I see no reason to help you right now. I should have said I *prefer* shadow masks. But I don't use the Sony monitors for my old games anymore.
>>
>>3330414
I don't like scalers.
I don't like high-TVL aperture grilles.

Fudoh likes:
*scalers
*high-TVL aperture grilles.
No shit I don't agree with him.
>>
>3330554
I didn't ask for your help dood, nor I want your L5.
just put your acts and your words together.
or be the marshmallow you've always been (ツ)
>>
>>3330397
of course they aren't misunderstanding it, they are understanding it properly.
I used the wrong word and they interpreted the wrong word in the way that would be expected. Especially by someone with a bias against me from the get-go.
>>
>3330563
Remember that guy with "no marked decrease in quality","could barely tell any differences" when he used his switch ?
you clearly understood him too, yet you went by the "shitty switch" approach.

so, yeah. Understanding. Works both ways (ツ)
>>
I need help /CRT/
My JVC D-TV1710CG just died on me.
I left it in my car because I travel for events a lot and when I tried to power it on, it turns itself off with a "Self-Check" code. The first two input lights are lit up.
I tried turning on after removing the input card and no luck
JVC still services it but it's gonna cost me a fuckton.
Maybe you guys know something or can point me in the right direction.
I just want my glorious 480p GameCube games Back
>>
>>3330574
>Download service manual
>Check code
>Follow manual's guide for diagnosing problem
>Follow manual's guide for fixing problem
>>
>>3330574
at best, temp changes made a connector(s) loose
at worst it cracked glass...
>>
Battlestation thread is the new crt thread
pack up
>>
>>3330586
tell us where to find it anon.
>>
>>3330605
yup these crt threads are officially shit because of the same 2-3 assidiots up there
>>
>>3330593
Anyway I could check that? No experience repairing crts/PVMs

>>3330586
I couldn't find anything that detailed the service codes
>>
>>3330608
>>3330638
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0y46xffxdbvm33e/AAD-w5dhpJUR4i4s0HNaoK0Xa?dl=0

There's the service manual, parts list, and schematic diagrams. Page 73 has LED self check information.
>>
File: IMG_20160702_114627.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_114627.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
>>3330573
Is this the translucent SCART switch?
It might be okay. But it still is using SCART which leaves a lot to be desired.
>still doing quotes with a single bracket because you think that's effectual

Looks like there's a CRT backstage on the Late Show, if anyone happens to know anyone at CBS. (shrug)

Yes, this is a picture from a 52" panasonic LCD. Apologies.
>>
>>3330414
I've only seen his opinions on displays, amd I disagree with what he considers makes a display "good" for retrogaming. I don't ignore his views, but of his views that I've seen I've disagreed with him every time, so I don't have a reason to put stock in his beliefs as of now. I don't filter him out of threads or ignore him, but my opinions differ.
>Youre saying that because someone else does that you cant ever think that anything else they think has even an ounce of worth or legitimacy.
I am saying that my personal conclusions disagree with his conclusions. I do not doubt that he knows what he's talking about or that he has legitimately different opinions, but I personally disagree with him and thus I have personally chosen a different path to retro vidya enlightenment than he has.
I am not saying everyone should simply _ignore_ Fudoh's opinions and information, but you should remember when reading it that it's an opinion and take it with a grain of salt.
I repeat: draw your own conclusions. Don't take my word for it, but don't take someone else's either.
>>
File: DSC_0877.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0877.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Forgive me for being retarded but what are these inputs? S-Video on the right and ??
>>
>>3331295
That's coax RF on the left and 5-pin DIN on the right. You have to consult the manual of that device as to what exactly is the pinout of the DIN plug.
>>
>>3330556
Fudoh also likes shoving 10 megabyte of text on a single page in a layout that makes it impossible to read his site.
>>
>>3331314
Thanks
>tfw no manual
>>
>>3331295
>>3331314
>>3331358
This may help:
http://pinouts.ru/Home/DinAudio_pinout.shtml

Is it a German tv by any chance?
>>
Hi. I've recently purchased my CRT, haven't used it for long, but today, it has started to have a problem: It starts doing a clicking sound in a semi-regular basis and whenever I'm playing with it, the image "jumps" a little and goes black and white during that jump.

What could the problem be?
>>
>>3331314
Are VHF plugs like that in europe?

We got the horrible tethering F-connector (75 ohm) kind (also the antenna screw terminal 300 ohm twin-lead kind. Wish we'd have used BNC's.
>>
>>3331567
Playing with it how?

And the click might mean you need to lower the 'screen' (grid 2) potentiometer on the flyback transformer - something could be arcing in the tube itself.

There are other causes, but that's a generic guess.
>>
>>3331572
Playing with a Gamecube, nothing technical.
>>
>>3331576
oh, I thought you meant playing with controls on the TV.

Can we have pics? what kind of TV is it?
The loss-of-color probably indicates a dried up capacitor near an oscillator in the set. But I think a pic would be useful.
>>
>>3331617
More info:
Your TV is probably losing track of the color burst from a composite signal. This activates the "color killer" temporarily, forcing the TV into monochrome mode. A second later I suspect the TV latches to the subcarrier again, causing colors to be temporarily restored.
>>
>>3331446
Belgian
>>
>>3331685
>>3331617
It is quite hard to do so, since it's just for a second and suddenly, after a few hours of not using it, it stopped happening! It's a Beovision MX4000, and I'll come again with pictures if it happens again. Thanks, though!
>>
File: pvm.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
pvm.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Could someone tell me what's wrong with my set and how I fix it please?
>>
>>3331965
are the artifacts and shit it rolling or is it stuck like that constantly?
Does it do that with s-vid or composite instead and other consoles?
>>
>>3329158
monster
>>
>>3331992
I have 5 MDs
No one cares about euro MDs because 50hz
No one cares about RGB MDs because no composite

Only thing I would change is using a single DPDT on-on-on instead of 2 SPDT
>>
>>3332003
pal games can't be played in 60hz
can they?
>>
>>3332007
old ones can
newer, region protected ones can be hot switched. Some rare ones that are 50hz optimized can exhibit glitches.
>>
>>3331990
I only have the one console. The artifacts are mostly stuck, shift position once in a while and come back.
I only have the one game and console so I can't do further testing, but I get the same shit with composite.
>>
>>3332003
also adding that in recent years
literaly no one cares about MDs or SMSs because not Nintendo.
>>
>>3332003
Contradiction: I care about the PAL model 1 because it looks sexy and it is INCREDIBLY EASY to mod for 60hz.

It's not like a lot of other consoles where it's actually difficult or impossible to do. You just cut some traces between 8 clearly marked solder points.
>>
File: oDq9Vt5.jpg (641KB, 3038x2014px) Image search: [Google]
oDq9Vt5.jpg
641KB, 3038x2014px
>>3332036
Other than people who grew up on sega hardware, people like me still enjoy it because of games like Phantasy Star, which are classics of the RPG genre. Just because you're a nintendo zealot doesn't mean 'no one' cares. Just say that you don't personally care. Speak for yourself.

Coexistance is possible.
>>
File: 0Ko67B8.jpg (697KB, 3039x2015px) Image search: [Google]
0Ko67B8.jpg
697KB, 3039x2015px
>>3332003
>No one cares about RGB MDs because no composite
Forgot that one.
People here obviously care about RGB, because Mega Drive composite is absolute shit.
Modding for s-video also gives a substantial improvement.
>>
>>3332023
I'm expecting you don't have composite sync, but a short video clip would be necessary for me to be sure. It looks like you're not syncing, though.
>>
File: IMG_20160702_200405.jpg (796KB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_200405.jpg
796KB, 4160x3120px
Oh hey, a NES speedrunner using a non-PVM with composite video on the nightly show.

I don't think this is the same CRT I mentioned earlier, it looks different.
>>
>>3332242
>using a non-PVM with composite video
good for him, he didnt fall for the RGB meme
>>3332224
>Coexistance is possible.
that coming from you? holy shit
>>
>>3332236
Thanks for the help. I'll post it later tonight.
>>
>>3332236
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmHMg-rdt6mTlY5F9T9JRuEN1Lmdyg
The parts where it goes really crazy are where I turn off the external sync.
>>
File: IMG_20160702_215526.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_215526.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>3328580
I recently picked up a Sony Trinitron from a garage sale for 5 whole smackaroos, and have been playing SNES games on my homebrewed Wii with it. I want to buy component cables so I can output 480p, but after looking up my TV's model number (kvfs24100) I realize it only does 480i. Will I still get a significant difference in quality with component cables? Also, is there a way to prevent a small part of the left side of my screen from being cut off?
>>
>>3332367
You don't have composite sync, or if it's plugged in you need to hit 'external sync' on the control panel.
>>
>>3332396
I bought a csync cable. And as the video shows the picture goes away completely when I turn off external sync. Since the colors are there I don't think the cable is wired wrong. And my snes serial number says I shouldn't have the one chip model.

I'm at a loss.
>>
>>3332383
Yes, component even at 480i is SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner than composite at 480i.
>>
>>3332407
Your 'sync cable' is faulty, most likely. I'm assuming you fell for the SCART meme?

Try connecting composite video to the csync connector.

You shouldn't need to use a special cable with a sync stripper if you're doing it right. My guess is that if this is a cable with a LM1881 hidden inside the SCART connector, either a wire's loose or the IC is fried.
>>
>>3332418
Thank you for your help. I realized I must have the wrong scart to bnc cable.
>>
>>3332560
Using SCART is wrong by itself.
>>
>>3332564
>more contrarian shitposting
use. a. trip. use. a. trip.
>>
>>3332564
fuck off
>>
>>3330305
>The space between scan lines.
That's stupid. There should be a term for it. No one wants to repeat that entire phrase just refer to non-scanlines.
>>
>>3332591
Shh he feels superior when he calls them that.
>>
>>3332418
p.s. as a solution, if you are using SCART, crack open the SNES's AV connector, desolder the composite video line, and solder it to the csync pin (pinouts are all over the web). Then, in the cable with the LM1881 (the SVART -> BNC one, if I remember right, but I only have used a SCART cable for a very brief period while RGB modding someone's SNES mini), desolder the composite video (aka csync) wire from the LM1881 and connect it straight to the csync output, bypassing the chip.
>>
>>3332593
I don't feel superior, I feel accurate.
You're calling scan lines everything on the screen that ISN'T a scan line.
>>
>>3332591
>wanting a term for the absence of a thing.
Okay. Call it black space dark space or some bullshit like that.
>>
>>3332560
To clarify for you, the only SCART cable I ever used had a sync stripper in it and it worked fine. You might have bought the right thing (as far as SCART goes), but just gotten a defective product.
>>
File: 20141119_172847.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20141119_172847.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>3332224
>I have 5 MDs
>I'm a Nintendo zealot
(ツ)

>3332229
>not knowing what an RGB MD is
(ツ)
>>
>>3332675
>using katakana 'n' because it sort of looks like a face smirking
>an RGB MD isn't a mega drive with RGB video
Tell me more, senpai. Because that's the only google result I get.
シ ツ ン
>>
>>3332657
>desolder the composite video line, and solder it to the csync pin (pinouts are all over the web). Then, in the cable with the LM1881 (the SVART -> BNC one
No
>>
>>3332685
p.s. sorry for not living in france and not being an expert about everything under the sun.
> ツ
>>
>3332685
why should I tell you, I'm a 任天堂 zealot (ツ)

And it's tsu (ッ)
>>
>>3332690
okay, remind me how the bullshit cables are wired then, is the stripper in the console cable or something?
That just drives up the price for each cable though, as opposed to one time if you have a monitor with BNC inputs. Yet another reason SCART is dumb to use outside europe.
>>
>>3332703
whoops, you're right. it is tsu.
I was typing it on a japanese IME, I should know this. Thought i only saw the one line (ン).
>>
>>3332703
>why should I tell you
because it won't hurt to actually contribute meaningfully to the thread instead of bitching for once in your life.
>>
>3332712
>instead of bitching for once in your life
way to ask nicely.
also comming from bitcher in command, kinda ironic.
>>
>>3332672
Looking at it now. I bought it from a different place than where I got the snes Av cable, and I must have rgb h then v, when i thought I was getting rgb h+v then mono.
>>
File: 1348585015786.jpg (55KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
1348585015786.jpg
55KB, 704x528px
Can't spell パンツ without ツ.
>>
>>3332708
What are you on about now?
Ive explained to you before that no one wants to use a mangled home soldered mess of cable for their console.
No one wants to cut up their consoles to add component ports.
No one wants to de-solder things.

No one, but you and your anti-scart crony that is.

It's barely more cost efficient (if at all) to solder your own cable and having to buy multiple cables to cut up, de-solder, and re-solder.

Also think about this, you think everyone of these anons that bought their 100s of dollar overpriced overrated PVMs on ebay owns a soldering iron or knows how to use one? You're sorely mistaken.
>>
>>3332685
>using katakana 'n' because it sort of looks like a face smirking

It's a "tsu" you double baka
>>
>>3332703
>>3332720
who are you replying to? you give me cancer.
>>
>>3332739
>your anti-scart crony
There's plenty of us that see the SCART meme for the scam it is.
>>
>>3332757
>20Lcunt and his brother
>plenty
>>
File: ee5[1].png (295KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ee5[1].png
295KB, 500x375px
>>3332757
>>
File: IMG_20160703_015518.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_015518.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
I have a big ol' sanyo made in December 2003 (model number DS32920) and a Trinitron. Right now I'm using the Trinitron, but it only does 480i. I want to get the best quality out of my 6th gen consoles but need to know if the sanyo does 480p before lugging out of my basement. Pic related is TV in question's info sticker. I have tried looking this up, of course, but can't find anything.
>>
>>3332846

>I have tried looking this up

Not very well. It's literally on the first page of google results, I was going to spoonfeed you but decided against it
>>
>>3332846
Looks to be 480i

Don't throw it out anon
>>
File: IMG_20160703_021907.jpg (110KB, 720x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_021907.jpg
110KB, 720x503px
>>3332863
Where did ya find that information anon? The specifications page in the user manual doesn't tell me anything regarding that (unless it's written using terminology I don't understand)
>>
>>3332874
no mention of HD anything, anything digital, If I'm not mistaken not many HD CRTs have s-video ports. The picture shows hooking a DVD player to the component ports, and im almost positive all DVDs then were 480i-576i then.
>>
File: 480i.png (3KB, 167x19px) Image search: [Google]
480i.png
3KB, 167x19px
>>3332846
>>
File: Screenshot_25.png (3KB, 186x15px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_25.png
3KB, 186x15px
>>3332892
Nice detective work, anon. I didn't know that about HD CRTs and S-Video input. Also, don't worry about me throwing it away. I'll find someone who will actually play games on it before I let it go.
>>3332907
The manual I posted didn't include "480i" but thank you.
>>
>>3332383

WII component cables look great, and the third party ones work just fine (~$5). Composite < S-video < Component.

There's a massive step up between composite and s-video (separation of luma and chroma), the difference between s-video and component isn't much for 480i. The main thing though is that S-video cables are very difficult to find good ones while basically any old component ones will do.

(component really comes into its own with the 480p and above, which s-vid can't do)
>>
>>3332373
>>3332387

Someone please report him

the javascript for the report captcha doesn't work for me (plays funny with uMatrix)
>>
File: DSC03176s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03176s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>
>>3332383
component will be best even at 240p, just set the resolution to 256x224 for snes.

you gotta get in the service menu and play with hpos and hsize
>>
>>3328958
Larger tube screens all seem to have a moire pattern that you can't really get rid of tho...
>>
>>3332739
I was offering a solution for someone who fell for the SCART meme to keep using his existing cable. My suggestion would only change things inside the plugs, the cable would appear visually intact when done.
>>
File: GLy8iLP.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
GLy8iLP.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>3333045
For comparison. Also I already had this pic on my phone.
>>
>>3332728
If you snap some decent pics of it, we can probably find out. If there are 5 BNC's, then yeah, its meant for RGBHV, but it's pretty unusual to have a SCART on one end of a RGBHV cable.
>>
>>3333594
p.s. if you ARE willing to solder and it is currently a RGBHV cable, we could turn it into a RGB cable with a stereo breakout.
>>
You nerds might be able to figure this out.
My laseractive has an issue with its composite video output. The picture looks like I'm watching it slightly cross-eyed. There's a nice looking image, then the there's a faded image shifted slightly to the right of it.
What usually causes this? Is there a name for it? I've seen in in some poor video rips before.
>>
Any recommended s-video cables for the n64? All I know is to avoid the ones that also have a composite cable with it.
>>
>>3333995
Ghosting. I'd check my cables and try a shorter and/or thicker shielded one for video.
>>
File: IMG_1935.jpg (107KB, 422x367px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1935.jpg
107KB, 422x367px
>>3334285
I took a picture. You can see the outline of the numbers showing up to their right.
The cables I'm using are pretty beast, and it's showed up on 2 different setups.
Might it just be a ntsc composite thing?
>>
>>3334297
velocity modulation ?
>>
>>3333580
>>3333586
>>3333617
>>3334285

Get the fuck out you cancer fag, go to /b/

and return my 20L5 back you thief
>>
File: gamestopSVideoMadCatz.jpg (110KB, 800x821px) Image search: [Google]
gamestopSVideoMadCatz.jpg
110KB, 800x821px
>>3334174
My N64 with both composite and s-video on one cable looks fine (though for whatever reason I get checkerboarding in luma unless I plug both the composite and s-video cables in).

Mine's just an new-ish (maybe 2011?) gamestop cable, the same one I use for audio from my SNES (which is RGB modded).

It's a cable that had plugs for multiple systems - the original xbox & 360, the PSX and PS2, and the Gamecube/N64 (it doesn't mention the SNES, but that works too). I clipped off the fucking massive M$ console plugs because they looked ugly and huge and left the PSX and nintendo ones.
It actually is a good cable, but I don't think GameStop sells it anymore. There's probably a generic Chinese equivalent. I think gamestop rebadged Mad Catz cables.

It's not a fully populated connector (useless for RGB cable making), but it works well with those qualifiers.
>>
>>3334297
It's ghosting, it's typically caused by poor shielding or impedance mismatches. It's not inherent to composite video.
>>
>>3334303
Oh, yeah, it could be that, too. I'd try to disable scan velocity modulation before messing with cables, if your service menu has it.
>>
File: component.jpg (310KB, 592x700px) Image search: [Google]
component.jpg
310KB, 592x700px
>>3334316
Fun fact, if you get the component version of this cable, you can hook up a PS1 Via RGB if you use composite as sync.
>>
>>3334332
What about the coupling caps?
>>
>>3334328
>>3334318
All other systems I have used with these cables has not had this problem.
I saw nothing that looks like velocity modulation in the service menu of my PVM (1954q).
>>
>>3332383
And after that, murican still believe their RCA is good ??
Look Actraiser on SNES PAL with RGB.

[url=http://www.noelshack.com/2016-27-1467584097-snesrgb.jpg][img]http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/27/1467584097-snesrgb.png[/img][/url]
>>
File: 1466742832996.jpg (4KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
1466742832996.jpg
4KB, 192x192px
>>3334363
>>
>>3334363
http://www.noelshack.com/2016-27-1467585015-snesrgb.jpg
>>
File: 461[1].gif (105KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
461[1].gif
105KB, 600x450px
>>3334363
>[url=http://www.noelshack.com/2016-27-1467584097-snesrgb.jpg][img]http://image.noelshack.com/minis/2016/27/1467584097-snesrgb.png[/img][/url]
>>
I just picked up a little crt and am wondering what's the best way to connect my laptop to it. I have HDMI and VGA out, the TV only has RCA in.

Thanks
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-03-19-33-23.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-03-19-33-23.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
So I just got distracted into looking at spoof datasheets, but I've figured out how to disable scan velocity modulation on the game store owner's consumer set - the one I RGB modded (the jungle IC has a "SVM Out" pin - the datasheet's in japanese but since I'm in a scanlation group I think I'll be able to get someone to translate the description of the pin for me to make sure).
>>
>>3334482
>RCA is a video signal format
I'm assuming it's one jack for video (probably yellow?) and one or two for audio (probably red/white). If so it's composite - so you'll want to search for something like "VGA to composite".
If it's got three jacks for video (probably colored red green and blue) and an additional two for audio (red and white), it's got ypbpr component over RCA jacks, and I'd search for VGA to component 480i.

I can't recommend a brand or product as I've never done this downscaling myself, but there you have it.
>>
>>3334482

>only has composite in

Your only real choices are either an HDMI->composite converter box or a VGA->composite converter box. Both will probably add some lag, and are unlikely to support 240p ("scanlines"). Not really great options.

Pick up a wii for like $30. I recommend getting a GC-compatible one.
>>
>>3334556
>>3334559

Thank you, I appreciate it.
I'll look into a VGA converter. I used to have a Wii as a emulation box but I'd really like to play PS1 games. I don't have much space for a several systems right now.

Thanks again.
>>
>>3334568
No problem.
I don't have any MS consoles, but isn't a hacked Xbox 360 capable of emulating a PSX at full speed?
>>
>>3334571

Yeah I'm going to look into maybe a PS3 or original Xbox or something. I prefer to keep things as minimal as possible so we will see.

re the Wii: I honestly really hated having to use the WiiMote to get into the homebrew channel, is that still necessary?
>>
>>3334568

Do you care about "scanlines" ( I have to put it in quotes or >freecunt will get triggered ) ? Do they have to be 'authentic'?

If you're super space-limited, you might be better off returning/giving away/storing that TV set and picking up a ~13" PC monitor, they all take 640x480 VGA. If you fuss with the settings enough you can get the scanlines to look pretty close. Only downside is you lose the ability to run real hardware (without a converter).
>>
File: DSC03179s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03179s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>3334341
Caps are mainly there to remove excess voltage from the video lines, and isn't "explicitly" required in order for things to work properly. Not having them could cause some hiccups with certain sets.

I can say from experience that none of my PVMs or Megaview have give any problems when using a Component cable paired with a guncon breakout for RGBS.

These days, I've just been transcoding all of my YPbPr sources to RGB just to simplify things and get around a quirk my OEV203 currently has.
>>
>>3334583

Hmm, that's a good idea about the monitor, thanks, I might do that. This tv was only $5.
>>
>>3334575
Just looked into the 360 - apparently you have to solder a chip down to mod them. If you don't know how to do that, I'd look elsewhere. The wii has a PSX emulator, too - does it run too slow or something?
>>
>>3334629
Thanks you, I appreciate it. I do have some soldering experience. From what I've read, 360's can be softmodded. Techniques vary depending on the model of the console.

WiiSX isn't that good unfortunately.
>>
>>3334598
>excess voltage
ehh, technically I guess. I'd specify "DC offset" though, since video still looks fine without the caps - it's just not easy to daisy chain and is discouraged
>>
>>3334629
>The wii has a PSX emulator, too - does it run too slow or something?
Wii doesn't have anything that I'd call competent PSX emulation; Don't have any experience with it personally, but I'm pretty sure the HUEG would be the better place to look for Playstation emulation.
>>
>>3334631
I thought that retroarch had a few PSX emulation cores?
>>
>>3334575
>re the Wii: I honestly really hated having to use the WiiMote to get into the homebrew channel, is that still necessary?

no you can configure it to boot right to homebrew channel
>>
>>3334635
Semantics. It's still excess voltage compared to the standard expected video signal voltage that most TVs are expecting to receive. Some are more lenient than others, especially professional gear.
>>
>>3334631
I've never seen any methods for modding a 360 other than JTAG (requires soldering) and the reset hack (requires soldering).
I do know pre-february-2011 PS3's can be softmodded if they still are on the firmware of pre-february 2011.

Also, be sure to get your money from the PS3 linux user's class-action lawsuit. Fuck Sony so hard.
>>
>>3334639
you can also use a classic controller's left joystick.
>>
>>3334645
yours could be taken in a variety of ways; it could have meant greater-than-1vpp signals, for instance, which impacts luminosity. DC offset doesn't.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking though.
>>
>>3334639
That's amazing. I might just grab my Wii from back home and do that. I suppose I can afford the Wii with a slim PS2 on top. Those aren't that hard to mod if I recall correctly.
>>
>>3334674
I believe you use Bootmii if you want it to launch straight to the homebrew channel. I tried to make mine do this but never figured it out - selecting the homevrew channel made it boot to the system menu anyway.
>>
>>3334697
I suspect that's what happened with mine.

Also looking into a raspberry pi 3 as they're cheap, can do PSX well (even some DC games) and I think can output to 240p with some fussing.

Looks like the pi is actually useful now instead of just being hobby thing to setup.
>>
>>3334734
theres a VGA add-on for the pi if thats any help (otherwise you need to go from hdmi to vga to RGB)

as far as i know, no one has tried 240p on it
>>
>>3334638
None of them work on Wii

PCSX-ReARMed only runs well on ARM devices. Wii is PowerPC so it can't use the dynarec.
Beetle-PSX is far too slow for Wii since it's an accurate emulator that uses interpreters and software renderers.
>>
>>3334787
I'm pretty sure you can set the composite out to be work at 320x240 by changing the framebuffer.
>>
>>3334848
The interlace is set by firmware.
>>
>>3329027
>If you hook up a PC to a CRT TV and use a scanline filter, can you get a sharp-looking image from 480i?

A scanline filter wont work on 480i

>Alternatively, what's the best way to hook up a PC to a CRT and play emulators in 240p?

Software: groovymame, Hardware: old radeon cart supported by crt emudriver, connected by scart (Euro), or vga to component transcoder (US)
>>
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86658&start=175
this thread is relevant to our discussion
theres no way to get 240p out of the composite port
heres what the creator of the VGA port for rpi said:

>Im looking after Gerts website for a while, but im afraid im not an expert on his stuff. I did work on the broadcom chip though. Gerts vga board is just a simple resistor ladder A to D converter that turns the parallel digital outputs of the DPI block into analogue signals. So you have 3 colours and 2 syncs which should be enough to drive your display.

>I would think it is quite possible to change the DPI settings so that it runs at the required frame rate and X-Y size to drive
your monitor, although I havent checked to make sure it can go that low. It was supposed to drive small lcd displays though so i suspect that it can. However you would potentially have to set up other graphics components in the system to produce the required size of display (x by y pixels) if this isnt already supported.

>So as far as I know the V3D will be generating screen images of a fixed X-Y size in memory that contain the screen contents.
The Video scaler will be scaling and compositing several layers of these images into a screen resolution output stream that is sent to the DPI for outputting. Changing all of this is certainly possible but way outside my field of knowledge.

>It may be possible to simply reprogram the scaler to scale the images to the required size, and the DPI to output them. I think this would be a question for one of the video experts on the Pi forums as its mainly going to be a software issue.
>>
>>3331965
last time I had that happen my cable wasn't grounded very well.
>>
Ok someone has used the VGA666 adapter to get 240p out of a pi2

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148129.msg1545662.html#msg1545662

and another towards the bottom of this page

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86658&start=200

i may have to try this out
>>
Well, shit. Looks like to disable SVM on this TV I'm going to have to rig up an I2C interface. Fuck you Zenith.
>>
>>3334825
none of them work *well on the wii, but point taken. Damn.
>>
>>3334896
Thank you, I appreciate this.

>>3334941
Someone got it out from HDMI>VGA>Some JAMMA shit I'm only briefly familiar with.

Let us know how it works if you do try.

I think I'll just my Wii with a modded PS2 slim on top... maybe an original xbox...
>>
>>3335096
(sorry I have to ask, I was always a nintendo guy first and foremost)
Can't the PS2 play PSX games? or is that only the fat ones? I'm aware of a couple games with compatibility issues, but it's supposed to be something like 97% compatible I thought.
>>
>>3335112
No worries!
Yeah both PS2's can play PS1 games. I'm not aware of any compatibility issues
The original PS3 run had native PS2 backwards compatibility but that was cut pretty shortly after to make the system cheaper (Sony was losing stupid amounts of money per console).
>>
>>3335096
he used an HDMI to VGA adapter and then a GBS 8200

unfortunately that is expensive and laggy
getting the VGA port to work would be a lagless experience
>>
File: 640x400.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
640x400.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
So i got my shadow mask 17" PC CRT to sync down to 640x400 today using intel's standard resolution program

It was syncing down to 512x384 but suddenly stopped. I feel like someone could make a program to get 240p (at 120 or 144hz) out of intel drivers easily

anyway I love the look of shadow mask scanlines, why were the wider dark spaces of aperture grilles ever preferred in the first place?
>>
File: mirrorShield.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
mirrorShield.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Testing my Nexus 6's camera.
Seems alright. I think I'm gonna add a RAW shooting mode to OpenCamera though.
>>
>>3335129
Shadow masks are just as capable as trinitrons of having those 'anti-lines', though it'd be harder to make them that way beyond a point.
The main real technical advantage of the trinitron style tube is that you can light more of the surface area of the tube than with a tri-dot mask, so images appear brighter. Trinitrons got their reputation due to a bright color image - the early shadow mask tubes they competed against could not compete.
TV's moved to a 'slot mask' style from tri-dot because this gets very close to the luminance of an aperture grille, but the result is a drastically lower maximum resolution while retaining said brightness.

Tri-dot masks, with the improved phosphors of recent decades, can match the detail of an aperture grille - if they both used the same phosphors, the AG would still win on brightness, though.

Anyway, AGs were historically thought of as 'the best' because they initially had a huge improvement upon their contemporary competitors. They got a 'high end' idea attached to them. It stuck.

The only real disadvantages of AGs are weight and the dampening wires.

But anyway, not all trinitrons/AG tubes have vast black areas. Consumer TV ones are pretty similar to consumer TV slot shadow masks when viewed at the same distance; they simply have the 'trinitron' name, and the associated weight and dampening wires and a slightly higher luminance.

Sony did make a sturdy and reliable TV, though, usually, so you knew what you were getting.
>>
File: nejgFxN.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
nejgFxN.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>3335129
p.s. I agree, I absolutely love tri-dot shadowmasks. Though I like my PC trinitron monitor, too.

Old pic, tri-dot 15khz panasonic BT-H1390YN video monitor next to my sony CPD-100SF PC monitor (made circa 1996).
>>
File: dessertColossus.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
dessertColossus.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>
File: IMG_1936.jpg (163KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1936.jpg
163KB, 800x600px
What kinda RGB mod you want senpai?
>>
File: [email protected] (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
320x240@120.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>3335129
>>3335154
>>3335184
Ok I got it to sync down to 320x240@120Hz, and opened up BSNES and it looks a little different than I expected.

Almost looks like the intel drivers are pulling some kind of line doubling BS on me.
What do you guys think?
>>
File: dessertColossus2.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
dessertColossus2.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
This is definitely my favorite temple in OOT.
>>
>>3335190
Well first, you should be rotating your pics.
Second, is this linux?
Windows isn't exactly flexible with video modes.

Intel drivers under linux do work in your scenario.
>>
>>3335206
oh yeah, amd it does look like it's scaling.
>>
>>3335187
What the fuck is that IC for?
>>
>>3335217
(external) RGB amp! I know, it's beautiful.
>>
>>3335206
It was windows and yeah youre right it was doing some kind of super shitty line doubling

480p looks similar scaling wise but 10x sharper
>>
>>3335221
Why isn't RGB being amplified INSIDE your consoles (assuming you actually did that)?

I mean, cool, I guess, but I'd have drilled holes on the back of the TV and added some more jacks.
>>
File: dessertColossus4.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
dessertColossus4.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Still experimenting with exposure settings.
>>
>>3335187
Just jack my shit up.

>>3335190
>>3335248

Zoomed in so close, it's somewhat hard to tell, but it wouldn't be surprising if some line doubling was happening. The gaps between scan lines is almost non-existent there. Based on the sharpness comment, it wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't treating it as 320x200 and trying to double it to 640x400 rather than 480 which would result in a clean picture.

>>3335197
>>3335206
>>3335213
>>3335217
Ignoring your different stances on shit, you could (have) avoided a shit load of the heat you get by just pausing, reading through posts and condensing your usual 3-6 posts into single posts instead of feeling the need to shoot off 5 single sentence(if that) responses right up against the cooldown timer.
Seriously, you take up nearly 1/5th of all the posts from the last several threads. There's no need for any of it.

>>3335251
Laseractive has a metal case and a decent amount of various boards floating around inside. I don't see why they should damage the case when just testing to make sure everything is even working as it properly should.
>>
File: dessertColossus5.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
dessertColossus5.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>3335264
I post from my phone. I read everything and by the time I get done responding more has been posted. I don't check again before I hit send because that would repeat indefinitely. It's definitely less convenient than a desktop for that.
>>
>>3335283
That doesn't change anything, and even goes against what your just responded to in those last posts, skipping around between the PC anon and the laseractive anon.

You don't have to shoot off a post immediately after you've written it. You can go back and check a thread before submitting without losing what you've already written. Clover does that perfectly fine and it takes a literal instant to do so.
>>
File: dessertColossus6.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
dessertColossus6.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>3335304
I don't like flicking up through hundreds of post to type a reply and flick back down through hundreds of posts. It's fatiguing and slow without a proper scrollbar. I try to keep up to date, but it doesn't always happen.
>>
>>3335251
>>3335264
>Laseractive has a metal case and a decent amount of various boards floating around inside. I don't see why they should damage the case when just testing to make sure everything is even working as it properly should.

Prettymuch this
I tested the voltages while running the sega PAC, and the output seems pretty normal. But I have no way to connect it to a display device yet.
I'm trying to see what I can scavenge a connector from. VGA would be ideal. Maybe a bank of RCA jacks from somewhere.

It's entirely possible that I get lazy and just duct tape that mess to the back, use it as is, and never go back to clean it up.
>>
File: DSC03169s.jpg (4MB, 3648x5472px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03169s.jpg
4MB, 3648x5472px
>>3335316
Again, Clover keeps your spot right at the bottom of the thread, and has buttons to go to the reply box without needing to scroll to the top, bottom, or otherwise.

You're not going through and posting through just a regular browser, are you?

>>3335330
>But I have no way to connect it to a display device yet.
I've done something similar, though just ran into the AV port of a both a Genesis and Saturn before, just run directly to the openings of the female SCART connector on my breakout.

If I were in your situation, I'd use a bank of RCA connectors I scavenged from that trashed HDWEGA that'd work perfectly for such a thing.
>>
File: nes-abstartselect-reset.jpg (182KB, 1024x746px) Image search: [Google]
nes-abstartselect-reset.jpg
182KB, 1024x746px
>>3335330
>It's entirely possible that I get lazy and just duct tape that mess to the back, use it as is, and never go back to clean it up.
Heh, I'll admit I have several projects that now live permanently on solderless breadboards because I never cared enough to go past the prototyping stage once the circuit worked.

Ancient pic, still what it looks like.
A+B+Start+Select button combo to reset a NES without getting up.
>>
File: shiek1.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
shiek1.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>
>>3335338
>use yet another app
>You're not going through and posting through just a regular browser, are you?
>using a browser to access a HTML imageboard
>how terrible
I use a browser because I don't want an app for everything just acting as webpage parsers because a browser's somehow not good enough.

My choice of app, judge if you want. But I'm not about to use something like that and just waste storage space.
>>
File: DSC03072s.jpg (4MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03072s.jpg
4MB, 5472x3648px
>>3335350
>just acting as webpage parsers because a browser's somehow not good enough.
In this case, it's apparently not since you yourself recognize many short comings in comparison with desktop usage, and for how much you post it's not like it would be "just wasting storage space" since you'd sure as hell make heavy use out of it.
>>
File: shiek2.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
shiek2.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>3335368
I move pictures to a separate external hard disk periodically.
I don't need a specialized 'web browser' that only works on one site and takes up 60 megabytes or whatever.

I don't feel like arguing now, so I'm just gonna play zelda and stop looking for a bit.
>>
File: legend-of-galactic-heroes[1].jpg (89KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
legend-of-galactic-heroes[1].jpg
89KB, 500x395px
>>3335350
sir, you've truly outdone yourself this time
>>
>legit throwing a hiss about 60MB
>a whole SIXTY MILLION BYTES
>>
File: vpg7yg[1].jpg (26KB, 648x480px) Image search: [Google]
vpg7yg[1].jpg
26KB, 648x480px
>>3335379
>I move pictures to a separate external hard disk periodically.
what does that have to do with anything?
>I don't need a specialized 'web browser' that only works on one site and takes up 60 megabytes or whatever
You bug the fuck out of the thread with your 50 sentences a day.
60mb is fucking nothing retard unless your phone is /vr/

Oh and I like this 'im too good for it' act
frantic cover-up for being a contrarian shitposter?
>>
>>3335398
>60mb is fucking nothing retard unless your phone is /vr/
he is legit browsing on a Nokia 3310
>>
File: 1453979510382.jpg (44KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
1453979510382.jpg
44KB, 636x358px
>>3335187
status update: I cut a RCA cable in half and used the two halves for the 4 signals.
It doesn't seem to work.
When I have composite video displaying, if I connect csync to something, the composite video goes out.
When I connect csync to composite video, it seems to sync (blank picture)
When I connect csync to h/v, it doesn't sync.
When I have sync running from something else and I connect the colors from the laseractive, no colors show.

wakarimasen lol
>>
>>3335496

Testing with my PVM was more interesting. It seems to actually sync to the csync.
I ran the colors from a wii while the laseractive synced, and had a stable slow-scrolling image.
Colors still don't do anything.
>>
File: IMG_1937.jpg (216KB, 841x645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1937.jpg
216KB, 841x645px
>>3335496
>>3335545

lol jk bros it fucking works. No idea what was wrong before, I didn't touch it.
But it's really bright. Going to toss on some resistors tomorrow.
>>
>>3335304
Can you stop whining about the guy making lots of posts. Who cares.
>>
>>3335730
sup 20LCunt lil bro
or are you just samefagging without your trip
>>
>>3335576
Nice bro
>>
>>3335350
Ritbro, clover takes up less than 5Mb and its the only way to post on mobile. Quick replies, quoting, quoting text, downloading all images in threads, tons of useful shit.
>>
File: IMG_20160704_122509[1].jpg (335KB, 1040x780px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160704_122509[1].jpg
335KB, 1040x780px
Got an RCA set from a thrift store for 10 syrup dollars, good buy? I also ordered an S-video cable for my SNES.

Honestly, after playing on a shitty DLP TV, it's just nice to not have ridiculous input lag.
>>
>>3335392
When you've programmed for the VIC-20 (unexpanded VIC-20 has 3583 bytes free, 5120 total) 60 megabytes to parse a webpage is kind of ridiculous.
From a more modern standpoint, I've made a webpage parser in C that runs on windows, Linux, and OS X where the binary takes 700 kilobytes.
>>
>>3335742
Not me, cunt. But I'm kinda (pleasantly) suprised about it, too.
>>
>>3336379
see>>3335923
>Quick replies, quoting, quoting text, downloading all images in threads, tons of useful shit.

You have autism. Not even the meme kind. You have legitimate autism
>>
>>3335413
If by Nokia you mean a Nexus 6, then yes.
>>333557
Congrats! I'm pretty jealous - always thought the laserActive looked cool, and I've been needing a laserdisc player for a long time.
>>
>>3336390
whoops, >>3335576
>>
>>3336384
>you can't quote or quick reply in a modern browser
>you can't write a 2kb max. shell script to download all images in a thread
>>
>>3336421
Are you saying that you want me to write you a script?

Hey buddy hey dude bro

use whatever in all of fuck that you need to do to keep from bumping the thread 10 times in a row. How retarded can you be that you don't understand that?
Do you think were challenging you? do you think we care one single ounce about your pathetic skills and want to listen to you stroke your e-cock?

No, all we want is for you to not post 5 times in a row. get that through your thick autistic contrarian shitposting skull.
>>
>>3336440
>Falling for the not posting 5 times in a row meme
>>
File: marioworld_660.jpg (212KB, 660x485px) Image search: [Google]
marioworld_660.jpg
212KB, 660x485px
>>3336092
That's about how much most CRTs go for. I don't know about RCA or if you made the right choice, but 10 dollars is a small price to pay for lagless super mario. Enjoy, anon.
>>
>>3336421
Seriously, I understand that sometimes someone posts when you are composing a reply and you want to respond to them as well, but if you have to do more than the occasional double-post, delete one or two of your replies and condense them down into one or two posts.
>>
I posted yesterday about getting 240p into a standard CRT from various emulator boxes (Pi, Laptop, Wii, Xbox).

I decided I'll try running 480p from my laptop and see how it goes. My question is, would it be better to get a VGA to composite converter or HDMI to composite?

I would assume the VGA would have less latency as it's already analog but I'm really talking out of my ass... I work in audio and don't know shit about video. I'm concerned with latency above all else.

I'm fairly certain my card doesn't have TV out so I would need a converter and not just a VGA cable with composite cables on the end.

thanks again.
>>
Check this thing out. http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p520022204

Multimedia TV, has tuners, a bunch of composite inputs and RGB inputs in a bunch of different flavors including JP-21. It supports 15-31khz, likely because it was meant to be a monitor for a PC-98 (which I believe could output a 640x480 progressive signal, necessitating 31khz support).

From what little Japanese I know this one doesn't work, sadly. It's kind of interesting to think that Japan sort of got the best of both worlds when it came to consumer sets - they used NTSC and as a result didn't have games running slower and JP-21 (essentially SCART with different wiring) was fairly ubiquitous during the 90s. I'd be interested to know if CRTs are used in their retro games communities the same way they are in the west.
>>
>>3336832
The converter will likely output 480i instead of 240p unless its extron

and yes you should go analog to analog
>>
>>3336832
http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/
pick a downscaler
use this to combine sync
http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA:::15.html
>>
>>3336903
Thank you. Yeah I meant 480i. I'm going to order 1 HDMI and 1 VGA converter just in case the HDMI has better latency. Will return the worse one.
>>
>>3336924
240p is technically 480i, but you will very likely get an interlaced image from the converter (pretty sure these are for watching movies or whatever), not the 240p scanlined look that you want.
>>
>>3336937

Thank you. Yeah I know... I mostly just want to be able to play a bunch of games on something other than my laptop. I'm not sure how much I really care about scanlines to honest.
>>
>>3336973
https://www.amazon.com/Lenkeng-104724-Monoprice-VGA-RCA/dp/B001CJOLBW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467675546&sr=8-3&keywords=vga+to+composite
if thats the case get this thing
>>
>>3337053
Thanks! I was going to order this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PXFJ2O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A28128AMZ00PEQ

because the reviews are a bit better.
Also might try a CRT computer monitor. There's a cute 14" Compaq with attached speakers in my area for free.
>>
ITT: Even Kya calls 20L5guy out on his bullshit but HE'S STILL HERE

What a time to be alive /crt/.

Anyway I have some days off work coming up, I'm gonna geek out and finish perfecting my setup. Put in requests if you want delicious pixelly photos from a specific game.

USING SCART
>>
>>3335576
Status update: I broke it
Shortened the wires and added resistors. Started it up and it didn't entirely work.
Looks like I blew IC202 on the power board, and lost my 5v.
>>
File: DSC_0066.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0066.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>3334674

>Wii with a slim PS2 on top

This is the correct answer Anon. Covers literally every good console, barely takes up any room, and both consoles are super easy to get RGB out of.

PS2 fat are more receptive to modding in my experience, since the lasers on slim PS2s are incredibly easy to kill, I learned this the hard way. If you're going to play pirate PS1/2 games, best use POPSloader and HDLoader to be safe.
>>
>>3337125
Thanks anon. I'm very conflicted because I have to wait a month or so to get my Wii and PS2 but I just wanna play the vidya now.

I already have a slim PS2. I had done the paperclip mod to disc swap PS1 games but since then it had some trouble reading discs... We'll see. I'll try it again with freemcboot and if not I'll probably buy a fat one.

I also have a Dreamcast, Genesis, and a Saturn (free from a friend) back home. I don't really have space for them buy maybe I can figure something out.
>>
>>3337141

Yeah, the laser on that slim is probably already on it's way out. I had a killer time burning ISOs to play on mine back when I was using the swap-disc technique, but it only lasted about 2 weeks before it burnt out.

POPSloader works great though, just throw a ton of ISOs on a memory stick, convert them with the VCD utility, and you're good to go. The only let down is that it doesn't support light gun games.
>>
>>3337164
Yeah you're probably right. I bought mine used so who knows how much use it had before I bought it.

Cool. I didn't know Sony made POPS for PS2.
If I had a fat PS2 I could stack up the Wii, PS2, and Dreamcast or Saturn on top of the TV with something to secure them.
>>
>>3337125
YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME.
I never got tired of that.
>>
>>3336853
if it's true multiscan at that range and can handle 24khz, that's a real unicorn in the west. I only know of one commodore monitor that'll do it (my 20L5 can't and MY commodore monitor can't either).
The X68000 monitors were usually 24khz capable too.
>>
>>3337552
It isn't in the west, unfortunately. I was going to check to see just how much it would cost to get it shipped (the Yahoo auctions site has some banner for a service that'll buy them for you and ship them to you) but skimming through the description, apparently that one doesn't work.

Still, it'd be worth noting that there might be some really nice monitors floating around on that service. I have no idea how much it would cost to get even a small display shipped, or if the whole magnetic field issue would affect it.
>>
>>3337570
I think buyee has a 30kg weight limit or something around there
>>
>>3337601
That'd make sense, 30kg seems to be the limit for most international shipping services like that. That basically limits you to stuff smaller than 19 inches.
>>
If you are wanting something huge, you could always get in touch with a more personal deputy service and arrange freight shipping. That being said, I doubt it'd be worth the trouble and cost.
>>
Is there a way to get scanlines on a crt pc monitor? Would it look comparable to a pvm?
>>
>>3337705
set it to 640x480p and turn any emulators scanline filter
the result is comparable to a very high end BVM

or you can try 240p at 120-144Hz
again the end result is comparable to a very high end BVM

but you cant do the second option with intel's drivers
>>
>>3337705
Oh and if you want to run regular consoles on PC CRTs with scanlines you need a scaler (such as the GBS-8200) with a scanline generator (SLG-3000)
but that would introduce a fair bit of lag
other option would be framemeister
>>
>>3337714
>>3337719
thnx m8, I'm thinking of setting up an older desktop as a dedicated emulator machine to go with the monitor.
>>
>>3337705
>>3337728
What I did before my monitor died on me (this was a 1600x1200 monitor, it doesn't seem to scale as well at 1280x1024 resolutions) was use retroarch and the CRT-Geom shader. Turn off all the curvature bullshit in the shader, then set the scanline weight setting as low as possible - this will give you thick black scanlines of the sort you'd see with a 900+ TVL BVM. This will make the overall picture quite dark, so you'll need to boost up both gamma settings all the way up to 5 to compensate. If you have a monitor with a brightness boost that'll make colors brighter without affecting blacks that'd be even better.
>>
Hey /CRT/, total abject noob here.

Pic related(model is TX-S2783 best I can) is currently at my parents house ready to be thrown away. I don't currently have a retro setup, but I'm very interested in having one in the future, so I was considering saving it if it would make a good fit for that purpose. I'm mostly interested in playing PS1 and SNES games, maybe some Genesis too.

Little skeptical of it though. The Pastebin seems to suggest Samsung is dubious and later models CRTs aren't very good. This is both, as far as I'm aware. Is it even worth bothering with or should I just let it get trashed?
>>
>>3338706
I'd test it before getting rid of it but that TV has two things that will likely result in awful geometry issues: 1) it's a flatscreen, and 2) it's a slim tube. CRTs were not meant to have flat screens or thin tubes, so when they made them with flat screens and thin tubes, it caused problems. It might not be noticeable at first, but you'll have distorted corners, the picture will be warped both horizontally and vertically, and the convergence will be awful. Once you notice these problems it's hard to unnotice them.
>>
>>3338718
Sony FD Trinitrons seem to be alright, though. Mine has near-perfect convergence and the geometry issues are there but really slight and you have to be looking for them.
>>
>>3338759
Interesting, I also have a Wega/FD Trini (27FS100 to be exact) and it's got bad distortion and convergence issues. Seems to vary from set to set really.
>>
File: nes-cyan-comparison-01.png (8KB, 1024x480px) Image search: [Google]
nes-cyan-comparison-01.png
8KB, 1024x480px
Someone mentioned how the NESRGB mod was pointless due to inaccurate colors. Has this finally been fixed with this pallet update?

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html
>>
>>3338718
Appreciate the info man. I'll get down there and look for the things you mentioned.
>>
>>3338823

Most of us are playing on RGB monitors, but honestly anything is going to be better than playing it on an HD display.

Video Clarity Ladder from best to worst

Coax
Composite
S-Video
Component
RGB
VGA (Only really for dreamcast)

Just make sure it at least has a composite hookup. If it has S-Video you're in luck, & if it has component you may be really lucky.

RGB is basically religated to PVMs, BVMs, Ikegami's, & other high end video editing tubes from the 90s.
>>
>>3338814
It can never actually be fixed since the NES doesn't have a defined color palette.
>>
File: you know I wonder.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
you know I wonder.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>3338841
>the NES doesn't have a defined color palette.

Please explain. Is such a thing even possible?
>>
>>3338831
>RGB is basically religated to PVMs, BVMs, Ikegami's, & other high end video editing tubes from the 90s.
Don't forget the euro TVs and arcade monitors
>>
>>3338831
That was one of Samsung's last SD tubes so it's guaranteed to have component. Still, can't speak for him but I get more annoyed by geometry issues than anything. I'd choose an old composite only display with perfect geometry over a newer display with better inputs and features but poor geometry any day of the week.
>>
>>3338848
colors are generated in composite, and reproduction depends on tv decoder.
However problem was greatly overblown by 20Lcunt. Not only NESRGB original is close to regular NES, but the new flashable palettes make it even closer.

What made it even more stupid is that 20Lcunt was constantly sperging about Nestopia canonical being the holy grail, but turned out canonical isn't accurate either.
>>
>>3338883

So with the new pallet we're as close as we're ever going to be in RGB, but due to the nature of composite video's interaction with individual CRTs, it's impossible to be 100% color accurate?

Are there any specific examples of games I would notice this inaccuracy in? I know many of sunsoft's games made heavy HEAVY use of composite for blending and maybe color techniques. Blaster master in particular just looks like shit if you don't play it in composite.
>>
>>3338894
please don't use
http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html
as screencapcures as they were captured using a literal hack, and with a FC Titler which has another palette.
>>
>>3338883
>>3338894
I dont have the image but theres one specific palette that looks miles more accurate that everything else

one big graph comparing every palette

iirc the official NES wii emulated games, and this palette looked miles better
>>
File: 5NUrm6U[1].png (228KB, 1550x816px) Image search: [Google]
5NUrm6U[1].png
228KB, 1550x816px
>>3338883
>>3338894
>>3338927
found it.

Nes games are very dark, if youve ever played one over composite or RF

BMF Final 2 is legit.
>>
File: jh854.png (123KB, 300x348px) Image search: [Google]
jh854.png
123KB, 300x348px
How may hours is too many for a BVM? I found one & in the service menu it dsays it's been on for 067506 hours.
>>
>>3339142
>too many
when it breaks

but theres a chance it may have had a tube replacement in those 67k hours.
>>
>>3339142
I have two. One with 76k hours and the other with 4.5k.

The biggest difference by far is the flyback noise. Picture-wise you'd be hard pushed to tell one from the other.
>>
>>3338463
Not that anon but this is helpful, thanks.
>>
>>3337164

Is there lag from the USB? I think the PS2 has USB1.1 so I wonder if that slows down loadtimes compared to CD.
>>
File: IMAG0343_1.jpg (476KB, 2048x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0343_1.jpg
476KB, 2048x1520px
>>3339310
Yes it's pretty goddamn slow.

t. SCPH-30003 SATA master race.
>>
File: IMG_0095.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0095.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3339306
I might do an infograph on how to do it, or possibly post my shader preset I made of it so people can just pop it in their shader folder and load it through retroarch. Here's a close-up of how it looked on my monitor (some old Gateway unit from the 90s that used an aperture grille) before it shat the bed and died.
>>
>>3339339
I mean you can easily do this by setting it to 480p and running any scanline filter
>>
File: IMG_20160216_184656.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_184656.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>3338463
>>3339339
Fuck drawing lines on the screen, render it 3840x240 and get em scanlines for realsies
>>
>>3339450
oh yeah, there's that too. What kind of refresh rates do you get at that resolution? If it's 120hz+ you could use black frame insertion for a true 15khz feel.
>>
>>3339536
Yeah that's what I'm doing
>>
>>3339546
not him, but doesn't BFI look... wrong? Isn't it meant to darken the image? I've always wondered if it added flicker too.
>>
>>3336092
Looks nice, actually. S-Video should be awesome on it.
>>
>>3335264
>[20Lcunt,] you take up nearly 1/5th of all the posts from the last several threads
Is it really only a fifth?

Huh.
>>
File: 1393965182633.gif (1020KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1393965182633.gif
1020KB, 360x270px
>Amiga Monitor's rgb occasionally wigs out and requires me to smack the side of it to correct it
>Unplug and take apart carefully
>Check inside to see if there are any loose connections, tighten up a few gently on the side board, being careful to avoid the power supply and anode cap
>Put it back together
>It doesn't power on now

What the fuck did I even do?
>>
>>3339450
how do you have this setup? custom resolution utility? and do you use a graphics card?
>>
What is it with 4chan and being obsessed with tripfags?
>>
>>3339646
?
Not really, no one has a problem with kya
20L5 guy is just the biggest retard I think many of us have ever been exposed to.
:^)
>>
>>3339339
>Huh.
good looks
>>
>>3333294
>Larger tube screens all seem to have a moire pattern that you can't really get rid of tho...

Is this moire caused by the thickness of the glass screen giving a certain glossyness?
>>
>>3339581
>>3339696
>Huh.

gb2reddit
>>
>>3339208
>One with 76k hours and the other with 4.5k.
>The biggest difference by far is the flyback noise.

Do CRTs get louder as they wear out?
>>
Can someone brief me on super resolutions with crts?

I have a 20L5 which supports 15/31 kHz and a BVM 20F1U (15khz). I was also planning on picking up a PC crt like a lacie/NEC.

My plan was to use CRT emudriver and output everything at its native resolution with emulators. However, someone suggested I look into super resolutions as being an easier setup? How would this differ on 31khz vs 15khz?
>>
Curved CRTs are superior to flat CRTs in the following ways:
-Geometry, focus, convergence
-lesser weight
-more durable
-less worthless shit in the menus like parental controls, edge enhancement, auto setup(undoes all your tweaks), and "true" surround sound

Is there anything else to add?
>>
Theres something I would like to see done

someone with a PC and a multiformat CRT comparing 480p with a scanline filter vs genuine 240p
>>
>>3339749
Some light guns (the NES zapper, for example) only work on curved CRTs.

I'd say aside from geometry issues (which really are the number one reason to avoid flat screens), every issue you mentioned are due to other factors - flat panel displays were on the horizon, so why put a lot of effort into manufacturing something that would be obsolete and likely replaced in just a few years?
>>
>>3339840
>Some light guns (the NES zapper, for example) only work on curved CRTs.
I'm pretty sure this is false. I think it was just people trying to use it on HD CRT TVs (almost all flat).
>>
>>3339850
Well, great, now I know I've been telling people something blatantly false for years.
>>
>>3339850
HD CRTs should only be used for 480p (6th Gen) and newer.
>>
>>3339761
Once I've got my Thinkpad dock setup with the x600, I'll give it a shot with the Megaview.

>>3339738
As it gets older, the glue holding the transformer winding dries and weakens, allowing the wires to vibrate more and this creates a more audible whine than one which isn't as old/still held together completely.
>>
>>3340001
Does the thinkpad dock help you output 240p? or are you just using linux?
>>
File: scart-ermahgerd.jpg (129KB, 402x604px) Image search: [Google]
scart-ermahgerd.jpg
129KB, 402x604px
There are people in this very thread that use scart unironically.
>>
File: logh80a[1].jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
logh80a[1].jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>3340023
>using ermahgerd unironically

I hope this is a troll post
>>
File: 1398911054973.png (671KB, 505x473px) Image search: [Google]
1398911054973.png
671KB, 505x473px
There are people in this very thread that use memes unironically.
>>
File: Twitch cover.jpg (1MB, 3280x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Twitch cover.jpg
1MB, 3280x2100px
>there are people in this very thread

>>3340009
It lets me use a dedicated GPU with the laptop, which in this case is going to be an ATi x600. I'm likely to go the crt_emudriver route as my last attempt at getting xrandr to work properly with GMA950 makes me not want to go back to it at the moment, even with more appropriate hardware.
>>
File: scart-price.jpg (158KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
scart-price.jpg
158KB, 500x307px
>>3340031
Keep falling for the meme.
>>
File: scart-easy.jpg (100KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
scart-easy.jpg
100KB, 400x400px
>>3340039
Why are you making life hard for yourself?
>>
>>3340001
>As it gets older, the glue holding the transformer winding dries and weakens, allowing the wires to vibrate more and this creates a more audible whine than one which isn't as old/still held together completely.

Is this fixable with a hot glue gun?
>>
>>3340053
No.

>>3340048
Are you actually trying to imagine people using SCART in cases where it isn't even the "easy" route now?

It's going to be straight 240p "VGA" from the dock, broken out to RGBHV for the monitor.
Hell, even the first time I tried this with the intel GPU, it was HD15->5BNC.
>>
>>3339704
I don't think that's the case.
I read an article online that says the moire pattern is actually a good thing and that it means the tv is calibrated correctly... im convinced the shadowmask is simply damaged though. I really don't know.

Tell me guys, if it was damage to the shadowmask, would adjusting the horizontal and vertical size of my monitor have an effect on the moire or is that something exclusive to the quirks of a shadowmask type monitor?

Regardless, I'm not convinced that this is how the monitor is "supposed" to look.
>>
>>3333294
My NEC XP29 definitely has a moire pattern that you can see sometimes.
>>
>>3340054
Wait is this an official thinkpad dock? im interested if it is, but not if its that new thing that requires an external power supply.
The Megaviews accept RGBHV?
>>
>>3340023
>>3340043
>>3340048
>Making shitty image macros complete with a watermark to prove your point
Is this some new kind of performance art?
>>
File: 100_9913.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
100_9913.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>3340065
>Wait is this an official thinkpad dock?
I have an older thinkpad and a low end one at that, an r60.
It's the "Thinkpad Advanced Dock", FRU 26R9061. Model number 2503-10U.

The dock itself requires an external power source to power the fans and presumably supply enough power for the GPU, but it's not any of that Thunderbolt/eGPU stuff. Haven't had a chance to take it(the dock) up to the attic and test it out yet, but I'm hopeful it lets me turn the laptop into quite a nice low-end, low res emulation machine.

>Megaviews accept RGBHV
RCA and BNC for Composite in, Mini-Din for S-Video, 5BNC for RGB in and out on RGB 1, and a DA-15 for RGB 2
Or, at least that's what mine has available to it.

>>3340061
>>3340063
Moire is caused from a repeating pattern, in this case, the slots in the mask. If anything a warped or damaged shadowmask would cause heavy purity issues rather than moire.

My 3730c has visible moire on large spans of flat colors, but it's usually only visible if they are quite large spans and very bright OR when it's doing higher resolutions, i.e 720p or 1080i.

It also has a moire setting in the menu, which I assume based on it's effect on the OSD, introduces a slight bit of jitter into the video signal to reduce or make the moire pattern go away/less noticeable.
>>
File: 1378604894322.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1378604894322.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>3340086
>>Making shitty image macros complete with a watermark to prove your point
Nah. I just image searched "scart meme".
>>
>>3340093
In that case
>Using shitty image macros complete with a watermark that you found with google images just to prove your point
You fucking autist.
>>
>>3340023
>>3340032
>>3340043
>>3340048
>>3340086
>>3340093
>>3340124
Gratz you killed the thread. : >
>>
Need to figure out how to keep the R60's screen enabled at the same time as the X600's video output, but preliminary tests are showing promise.
Megaview doesn't have any issues taking 1080p from the X600, leaving me thinking that the issues with the Wii U/PS3/etc is either related to the transcoder or simply some difference between VGA(would "VESA" be appropriate here?) 1080p and YPbPr sync timings and the like.

Oh, 1920x1200 also works, though I can't read SHIT at any of these resolutions. Big shocker, I know.

1792x1344 is also available for whatever reason; That's pulling up right on the limit for this monitor, at 83khz.

Honestly. my go-to res for the dead dell and current Sony PC monitors(1152x864) really seems to be a sweet spot for decent resolution, and readability. And the Megaview's slower decaying phosphors allow it to be more comfortably usable at 60hz than the regular PC monitors.
>>
>>3340431
I do 1280x960@ 69Hz on mine
I cant tell a difference between 75Hz and 69

how many lines does the megaview have?
>>
hey guys, i got a problem with an old crt of mine (from my old pc), and i figured this thread is a way better place to ask than /g/
Its an old (1992 or so, it was written on the back) compaq pc color monitor, i think its 14" or so (small diagonal, max resolution is 800x600)
the monitor works, but after prolonged use (depending on the temperature) it overheats and starts switching off, so you have to turn it off, wait for some time and then turn it back on. Then it starts happening more and more often as it gets hotter, and eventually it becomes unusable so turning it off for a longer time is required
Its got those wheels that you turn to adjust brightness/horizontal/vertical position and when it starts overheating, before switching off for the first time, the image starts to wave around a bit and moves to the right, as if the wheel was turned (turning it left moves the image back but it moves too far right for you to be able to ajdust it like it was)
Anyone had the same problem/knows what it is? I would really like to save that monitor because its the only crt i got for my old tech
any help is much appreciated
>>
>>3340436
>1280x960@ 69Hz
Mine will do that at 85hz.

I've seen claims of 600TVL, but a bit of basic math of the display size given in the manual versus the dotpitch (.95mm averaged) gives you something in the range of 700-750 for the tube itself, depending on whether you're using the RGB measurement(presumably spec'd for displaying the full screen) and the "Video" measurement, likely expecting overscan.
How well the guns are actually able to make use of that available real estate is a different question entirely.
If I remember to tomorrow, I'll put the TVL pdf I have on my laptop and see what it says.
>>
>>3340426
It's just American poorfags who are insecure because they have to stick with the shitty composite cables that come packaged with the system, or worse, RF. They'll never see their games with razor sharp visuals and vibrant color
>>
>>3340449
Easiest thing to do for now would be to get some compressed air and try cleaning dust out of it. also try checking the vents where heat is normally supposed to escape to see if there's anything blocking them. Make sure the monitor is somewhere open with plenty of room, and maybe try cooling the room down.
>>
>>3339603
Yes I'm using CRU with HD6950 and RetroArch. Monitor that I'm using is a mid-to-high end Panasonic circa '96
>>
>>3340797
Can you post a screencap of the exact settings you have in CRU?
>>
File: Cru.png (46KB, 398x425px) Image search: [Google]
Cru.png
46KB, 398x425px
>>3340812
>>
>>3340825
Thanks.
>>
>>3340773
the monitor, along with all the retro hardware, is in the basement where its cool and its not covered/crowded etc.
I'll open it up next week when i come home for cleaning and post some pics
There's one more thing: back when i opened it years ago, i noticed some red, rust-like (iirc) coloring/leakage on the inside of the tube, in the area where the HV connector (dont know if i got that right, the rubber dome covered wires sticked on the side of the tube or whatever that you can short out and make boom) is located
Maybe that is the source of the problem?
>>
File: G14800.jpg (45KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
G14800.jpg
45KB, 400x287px
Got a weird audio problem. Whenever something is using scart or a scart block for audio, the audio won't properly work on the right channel. I've tested this with a test cartridge. It works good when audio is provided by RCA connectors. What might fix this?
>>
File: 1366239397915.png (102KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1366239397915.png
102KB, 250x250px
>>3340936
>Whenever something is using scart or a scart block for audio, the audio won't properly
>scart
That's right there is your problem.

>It works good when audio is provided by RCA connectors. What might fix this?
Not using scart.

Do not fall for the scart meme.
>>
File: oTymVCY_zps69b3bfd7.jpg (51KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
oTymVCY_zps69b3bfd7.jpg
51KB, 500x281px
>>3340987
Any fucking excuse I swear to God...
>>
So I bought a SNES Scart RGB cord and when i start up the system, the color is off and the screen sort of fades to black (it's all PAL by the way) is the cable busted?
>>
>>3340936
>>3341213
You're giving the anti-scart committee's newest member fap material.
>>
File: Stone-Castle-Unburned1.jpg (982KB, 2500x1875px) Image search: [Google]
Stone-Castle-Unburned1.jpg
982KB, 2500x1875px
>at value village
>notice huge ass TV
>must have been 500-1000 pounds
>16:9 & has RGB, S-Video, & Component

So is this one of those "HD" crts I've heard of that were made before the switch to digital? Said it was made by pioneer. I think it was a projection TV.
>>
>>3341262
I have a Sony KD-34XBR960. It's a 34" 16x9 HD CRT with multiple RF, Composite, S-Video, Component and HDMI inputs. Weighs less than 200lbs.
>>
File: FQrkJ.jpg (267KB, 1142x1570px) Image search: [Google]
FQrkJ.jpg
267KB, 1142x1570px
>>3341262
Sounds like one of their crt rear projectors from the early 2000s:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-pro-730hd-rear-projection-crt-tv#m397c51QdyDQDykX.97

Pretty cool but I wouldn't want to game on one, unlike my Kuro 428XD which is baller as fuck
>>
>>3341349

That's it exactly. I've never seen a TV here in the states with a dedicated RGB jack.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160706-211545.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160706-211545.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>3341360
Looks like it's *just* an HD-15 input. For some reason I was expecting BNCs.

Oh and it's a mere 300lbs so get back there and snap it up pronto...
>>
>>3341213
If it were NTSC I'd say that the crystal oscillator has drifted a bit off but I don't know how sensitive to changes in subcarrier frequency PAL is.
>>
File: 1466679264421.jpg (19KB, 462x579px) Image search: [Google]
1466679264421.jpg
19KB, 462x579px
>>3341397
RGB is not affected by PAL/NTSC/Subcarrier.

Just so you know.
>>
>>3341213
It's the wrong cable, it's intended for the NTSC SNES/SFC.
You need to solder 75 ohms resistors to ground before the 4 capacitors.
>>
File: 1349175544266.jpg (107KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1349175544266.jpg
107KB, 500x500px
>>3341213
>So I bought a SNES Scart RGB cord
>Scart
That right there is your problem: You fell for the scart meme.
>>
>>3341494
Shut your fucking face
>>
>>3339142
>>3339738
I have a BVM-20F1U with 86k hours and it's still going strong. The whine is pretty loud though so I suspect the age = noise thing is correct.
>>
Not a shitpost.

Are CRT monitors fine for emulation? Want to find one without overscan cause I hate that.
>>
>>3341585
CRT monitors usually have very good geometry since any issues would be much more noticeable with how close you're sitting to it, as well as easily accessible controls to adjust it. Read through this thread, there are posts about using Custom Resolution Utility and black frame insertion to get native 240p with real scanlines and a 15khz feel.
>>
>>3341585
Yeah theyre great, less geometry and convergence issues

set it to 480p and use a scanline filter or do it somewhat authentically using CRU and black frame insertion
>>
>>3341494
Most people likely "fall for the SCART meme" because it is easier to buy a premade cable than getting the appropriate connectors for each console's output, the BNC connectors, and wiring up your own cables from scratch. A quality breakout cable can also make due as a poor-man's switcher since it is easier to plug/unplug SCART cables from that than it is to go behind your monitor and undo/plug-in BNC connectors each and every time.
>>
>>3341476
Probably this.
>>
File: fucking mad as fuck fuck you.png (3MB, 2101x2022px) Image search: [Google]
fucking mad as fuck fuck you.png
3MB, 2101x2022px
>pay like 50 fucking dollars for an official n64/gc s-video cable from amazon
>got it today
>open up the box
>there's a fucking composite cable inside instead of s-video

Holy shit are you fucking kidding me, I avoided ebay because I thought this kind of shit wouldn't happen on amazon.
>>
>>3341937
Thats pretty funny.
>>
>>3341937
You fell for the SCART meme.
>>
>>3341937
>not making your own s-video cable at home

It's like you're not even trying to impress us baka
>>
>>3341937
And that's where you pull an immediate dispute over it.
>>
>>3341937
Kek. Any third-party cable without a composite jack would have done just as well.
>>
File: comfy-on-the-sea.jpg (73KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
comfy-on-the-sea.jpg
73KB, 601x601px
Is there any risk in getting a used CRT from something like the Salvation Army? Are they known to carry bugs or anything of the like?

I was going to look for something in the 19" range for a small desk setup.
>>
File: servesyouright.png (64KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
servesyouright.png
64KB, 500x297px
>>3341937
Serves you right for falling for the S-video meme.
>>
>>3341951

> Are they known to carry bugs or anything of the like?

Bugs? Like spiders and shit?
>>
>>3342075
I don't think LIVE bugs would be too commonplace in those old sets. But I guess cracking open an old set and cleaning it out wouldn't be a bad idea to begin with.
>>
File: 1462645398119.png (361KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
1462645398119.png
361KB, 600x404px
>>3342097

From what I understand, it is generally a bad idea to open a CRT display due to safety concerns.
>>
>>3342082
>S-Video meme
Alright this is getting too far.
>>
>>3342121
>using any cable
Good job falling for the cable meme
>>
>>3342121
We've just got contrarians who will shit on any method that isn't their own especially if said methods are popular.
>>
File: IMG_20160706_203008.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_203008.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Saw this at my local thrift store. Are these worth getting?
>>
>>3342178
>falling for the TV meme
Just use a rock.
>>
>>3342118
You dont understand anything
>>
>>3342178
yeah trinitrons are nice
>>
>>3341937
Fuck no holmes, stay away from Amazon for SNES s-video cables. Get it on ebay. There was an anon in here a while back who bought what was advertised as the Innovation brand s-video cable (that's what most of us have I think) on Amazon and got some generic shit with a composite lead too. stick to ebay
>>
>>3342178
If it has S-video connections. YES
>>
>>3339562
No, it's blanking out doubled frames that 120Hz gives you. Without it, you get doubled frames in motion, making it appear less smooth. The darkening is a side effect of adding black to 50% of the image, just like what happens when using black line filters.
>>
File: 480p.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
480p.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>3339761
>>
File: 240p.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
240p.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>3339761
>>
>>3342178
how do you take pictures if you are a plant?
>>
>>3342240
Thanks

It looks extremely similar from the pics

Could you notice much difference in person?
>>
>>3342253
Holy shit.
>>
File: DSC03185ARW.jpg (4MB, 5102x2870px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03185ARW.jpg
4MB, 5102x2870px
>>3342253
Photo Synthesis.
>>
File: zelda 3.png (3MB, 1322x744px) Image search: [Google]
zelda 3.png
3MB, 1322x744px
How does this look?
>>
>>3342292
Looks good to me anon
The black lines arent stupid wide
>>
>>3342267
There's very little difference in person.

Turning off black frame insertion makes the 240p one brighter, but that introduces frame doubling in motion and it almost becomes too bright since the CRT already has luminance maxed out to compensate the decreased brightness.

480p can display interlaced modes correctly, 240p has to downscale them.

Both modes are good to use if your monitor is bright enough to display them. If it's not, 240p 120Hz without black frame insertion or 480p line doubled is probably your best bet.
>>
>>3342292
You fell for the CRT meme. That game is optimized for the LCD screens of the gameboy.
>>
>>3342301
Ok thanks for the info, I'll probably stick to 480p

>480p can display interlaced modes correctly
I know you're meaning that it can display 480i (technically in 480p) whereas 240p turns it to well, 240p.

But, to be literal do you know of a filter that makes 480p look similar to 480i? or would I have to set that as 480i at 120Hz in CRU?
>>
File: 1465259403842.jpg (760KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
1465259403842.jpg
760KB, 1280x1656px
>>3342274
>>
>But, to be literal do you know of a filter that makes 480p look similar to 480i?

https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/blob/master/misc/interlacing.cg

Anything that outputs 400 lines or more vertically is displayed interlaced, otherwise display as 240p.

I've never had luck with interlaced modes in Windows. My old Nvidia GTX 460 would output them but occasionally caused the screen to corrupt, forcing a restart. GTX 970 will not output interlaced at all for some reason. Probably need a Radeon to do interlaced modes since their drivers seem to support legacy video modes better.
>>
>>3342218
I bought cheapo interact performance s-video cables (no cvbs) from the bay for my dc and ps1, no artifacts or crosshatching. now that I know they still work I will prob make some s-video cables for them like I did for the tendo's
>>3339850
its false, my lightguns work just as well on my fd trinitron and ds sanyo as they do on my old mitsu console. they should work on any 15khz tv/monitor

>>3342178
I always hook something up in the thrift shop to check it out. But it's a solid set I would pay 20 or so bucks for.
>>3338706
my circa 2006 samsung sd had the best color fidelity and the worst 240p geometry out of any consumer set I have ever had. late models are all shallow tube and are a pain to try and adjust correctly.
>>
>>3340987
>>3341225
Just help me out here.
>>
File: DSCN0293.jpg (472KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0293.jpg
472KB, 1600x1200px
>>3340936
poor grounding on the audio channel or a loose pin, could be the cable, whatever breakout you're using or a poor connection in the monitor/tv input if you live in scart land. I would ohm the pins in the cable and check for an open circuit or abnormal resistance value.

People give me shit for being an autist but DIY is the way to go. hand made and bench tested before it ever gets finish assembly so you know it's perfect.

Y/C cable hacked out of an old SVHS cord, grounded to both pins in the multi out, heat shrink is bonded to the connector for strength. Total cost $7
>>
>>3342664
The thing is that it happens with anything scart related, even on other tv's
>>
>>3342685
dry/broken solder on scart socket, or female pin socket loose.
>>
>>3342730
On all of them?
>>
>>3342738
shouldn't buy bargain basement cables or you're false flagging. >>3342664 already explained how to diag cables. there's no mysterious gremlins in such a simple electrical connection.
>>
>>3342664
>heat shrink is bonded to the connector
bonded how, out of interest? As in, how do you do that?
>>
>>3342746
Not him, but junk shops sell top tier s-vid and coax cables cheap. That's where i get my materials, unless i see something on special.
>>
>>3342804
hot glue then snap the connector together when it's still "wet". Improves the pull strength considerably. I always pull from the connector but I still beef all the cables.
>>3342805
I also get materials from thrift stores and the like, you can remove pins from 2 cvbs cables and make 1 rgb or s-video populated multi out connector as well. some cheap cables connectors are glued which requires scoring with a blade and giving it a decent tap with a hammer to get them apart.
>>
sup /crt/

I was looking into getting a Raspberry Pi 3 to run retropie on my CRT. Seems you can do RCA out with it. Anyone here tried it? If so any recommendations or criticism?
>>
>>3343034
The RCA is 480i no way of getting around it

https://www.pi-supply.com/product/gert-vga-666-hardware-vga-raspberry-pi/
This can do 240p but its only for Pi Model B+, and you have to combine the sync with a T connector
>>
>>3343221
Shouldn't that still work on a Pi 3?
>>
>>3343271
Not sure but most likely
>>
File: trinitron.jpg (34KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
trinitron.jpg
34KB, 1024x768px
Going to scoop up these two boys tomorrow, anyone got any information on them? What cords will I need to hook up all my stuff?
>>
>>3343221
So there is no way to get "pixel perfect" with out 240p?
>>
>>3343356
>it's a bandwagon kid picking up PVMs before doing any kinda research whatsoever -episode
>>
>>3343356
Use the site 'retrorgb' for your questions
>>
>>3343428
a tardbabby liquid crystal display cuckold attempts to get into crt gaming vis a vis his old grandmaws black and white CRT from 1975 and makes fun of ppl who have pvm's lmao :D
>>
>>3343356
The most important thing is not to fall for the scart meme.
>>
>>3343437
This anon doesnt even know what rgb is

he doesnt know how to solder a cable

that being said i think s-video is better anyway
>>
>>3329280
I gotta see Yoshi's Story played on a CRT.
>>
>>3343434
Why are you shitting up this thread?
>>
>>3331965
I remember my Super Nintendo behaving like this when I had it sitting on top of a VCR. When I turned the game off and moved the VCR it was fine.
>>
Composite on a CRT is the superior way of viewing 4th gen+ video games from before HD consoles became the norm because the composite signal combined with the CRT's display style blurs the image and distorts colors just enough to make it look cleaner without making it look worse.
>>
>>3343470
This is bait but I had a 1985 Trinitron XBR at one point that was composite only, stuff still looked fucking good on it. It probably had some comb filtering going on though.
>>
>>3343430

Thanks mate
>>
>>3343470
It is bait like this that makes me come to 4chinz.
>>
>>3343437
/vg/ the only place on the internet where scart is viewed below component for 15khz.
>>
>>3343556
>/vg/
>>
>>3343034
Just use the Composite out. But like the other anon said, you won't get that true /vr/ scanline aesthetic because it outputs to 480i.
You could add scanlines in retroarch, or just enjoy games for their game design :)
>>
>>3343556
I'm pretty sure their argument is not that you should use component YPbPr output, but rather to get RGB by way of BNC terminal cables as opposed to through a SCART cable. Most of it is just contrarianism, though, since the aim seems to be more just insisting that you don't use SCART as opposed to defending that assertion or offering up easy alternatives. Most people use SCART because it is easy to find premade cables of both the official and homemade varieties without having to put in the time and effort to build their own cable for each RGB capable console that they own. The BNC breakout cable that most USA members have to use with SCART to interface with their pro monitors would be another point of contention since using BNC terminal RGB cables would negate the need for such a breakout.

At the end of the day, if the build quality is high for all parts, you are getting the same results.
>>
>>3342315
tbqh famicon the LCD optimizer Nintendo used was developed on a computer monitor so what did the devs REALLY intend???
>>
>because it outputs to 480i.
>You could add scanlines in retroarch
no you cannot
480i is not as simple as blanking every other line like retroarch does with 480p

You cant turn 480i into 240p without an extron unit

Ik its hard for this thread to stop spreading misonformation, but this was told to someone already in this thread, so either you didnt see that or you think youre right
>>
>>3343392
The VGA addon for the Pi should be able to do it. If you want to connect a PVM you'll need the extron VSC and RGB units. If you want to connect to a regular TV you need a VGA to component transcoder. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

I think it is possible to use a 1920x240 modeline for superwide
>>
>>3343034
>Raspberry Pi
Don't.
>>
>>3343634
He doesn't need extron boxes wtf is wrong with you?

VGA to 5BNC cable then combine the sync with a T connector (if you really want to get technical he could use an UMSA to turn RGBHV to scart)

If anyone gives a fuck about reading this thread they would see that we've already had an entire discussion about this and I've linked many forum threads on people who have done this
>>
File: 1442784499847.gif (1MB, 212x176px) Image search: [Google]
1442784499847.gif
1MB, 212x176px
>>3343654
*if you want to connect a 15khz-only PVM

There you go fuckface. Now pipe down and gobble another hot pocket
>>
>>3343654
>>3343664
Hey retard
You can output 15Khz through VGA

You have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>3343686
Yeah but you can't output 15khz through VGA from a fucking Raspberry Pi.

Try to keep up with the conversation before you start calling people retards.
>>
>>3343698
>Yeah but you can't output 15khz through VGA from a fucking Raspberry Pi.

YES YOU FUCKING CAN. WAS IT NOT OBVIOUS THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING?
>>
Fuck this thread.
I'll kindly fuck off like 20LDick did.
You bunch of fucking misinformation spewing fucktards.
Have a party with your stupidity.
>>
>>3343718
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
>>
>>3343715
>YES YOU FUCKING CAN. WAS IT NOT OBVIOUS THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING?
How? Without any extra equipment?
>>
>>3343743
I think he was referring to using Gert's VGA adaptor and a whole load of modeline fuckery. Someone managed to get a 16khz output onto some obscure Commodore monitor.

Not worth the hassle if you ask me.
>>
>>3343743
He was referring to this.

>>3334787
>>3334848
>>3334863
>>3334869
>>3334896
>>3334941
>>
>>3343768
The bottom 2 specifically.
>>
S-video mod or rgb>component. Which would get the best picture out of a genesis on a consumer CRT
>>
>>3343787
Genesis 2 BTW.
>>
>>3343718
>he thinks Free20L5Guy left

Nah. He'll be back. He ALWAYS comes back.
>>
>>3343798
he doesn't even leave. he just de-trips
>>
>>3343787
rgb to component. s-video mod a 32x if you're going that route.
>>
File: 1454903041985.jpg (7KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1454903041985.jpg
7KB, 240x240px
>>3343808
For all we know that could have been him
>>
>>3343757
>>3343757
>I think he was referring to using Gert's VGA adaptor and a whole load of modeline fuckery. Someone managed to get a 16khz output onto some obscure Commodore monitor.

>Not worth the hassle if you ask me.

Well if the frequency and resolutions are off then it isn't worth it. It might not work or it might look like shit. I'd rather just hook up the Pi to extron boxes knowing that it will work
>>
>>3343928
just use a toaster with a 5450, crt_emu and atom-15. miles better than a pi and costs less than the extron box
>>
File: PVM_2530.jpg (75KB, 512x770px) Image search: [Google]
PVM_2530.jpg
75KB, 512x770px
>>3328894
fuck off poorfag
>>
File: 1465003211132.gif (70KB, 411x589px) Image search: [Google]
1465003211132.gif
70KB, 411x589px
>>3329280
complete N64 retard here.....I want to buy an RGB modded 64 from ebay

Can I just run a standard AV > RGB SCART cable straight to my SCART > BNC cable on my PVM?
>>
>>3343718
Have you failed to recognise that amongst the pointless counter-memes, bizarre ad-hominems and atavistic showboating that /crt/ has been for a few months now, 20Lcunt is the furthest point on all three axes? This, despite his very occasionally tucking and giving reasonable advice that isn't self-evident, self-interested or baldly self-aggrandising.
>>
>>3339337
Can you do any SATA adapter or does only that model work?
>>
>>3343953
Well, it wouldn't be RGB unless you mod the N64 somehow. But you could in theory run AV to SCART and then SCART to BNC. You'd set the PVM Video A or B or whatever, not RGB or component.

Simpler might be to get some RCA-to-BNC adapters from ebay, leaving out a step. You can get like 10 of them for $3.
>>
>>3343946
This.

And i believe the guys were getting like 720x240p out of the Pi with Gert's... sure I read that somewhere. The crt_emudriver option is better, IMO.

>>3343952
Hey, I'm after a particular part for a PVM-2530. Any chance you'd have a spare sitting around for junk, or know of any others?

Gorgeous sets, btw. I have another working one, and the picture is better than muh BVM. So fricking bright and colourful. Nicest picture I've seen from a Sony.
>>
File: 1331497541472.jpg (82KB, 436x348px) Image search: [Google]
1331497541472.jpg
82KB, 436x348px
>>3343953
>AV > RGB SCART cable straight to my >SCART > BNC
>>
>>3343837
Approximately 1/5th of the posts in this thread are him, more if he actually de-trips and continues to post anonymously.
>>
Between Free20L5 and the SCART internet defense force these threads have gone to shit,
>>
>>3343972
No I only have a 13" JVC, I just posted the grails to piss off the poorfag

>>3343980
Sorry I meant Multi-out or whatever the standard Nintendo cable is
>>
File: IMG_2273.jpg (618KB, 1287x965px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2273.jpg
618KB, 1287x965px
Testing out my new phone camera.

N64 through S-Video.
>>
File: IMG_20160707_205725~01.jpg (1MB, 2890x3969px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160707_205725~01.jpg
1MB, 2890x3969px
>>3342178
It's A/V only. But it looks good and also has a remote.
>>
File: 20160707_194412.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160707_194412.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Got this new Sony pvm. My modest setup as it stands
>>
>>3344215
You do know that those multisystem consoles are just shitty emulators that boot from the cartridge instead of a rom, right? That thing probably outputs in 480i.
>>
>>3344231

Are you happy with the color and resolution? Was it difficult getting RBG to work correctly. I'm getting into this kinda stuff and I'm curious about the learning curve.
>>
>>3344282

I use s-video for my systems but yeah it looks really nice. Mine is 14 inches which I think is an ideal size. I had an 8 inch pvm before but I'd recommend a little more size. Worth the extra money
>>
>>3344235
It's all I got.
>>
>>3344360
I'd get a Wii at least, RetroArch for that runs really well now and is capable of outputting at 240p.
>>
>>3344395
Apparently the retro trio does 240p. I have a Genesis and NES. Just no SNES
>>
File: $_57.jpg (151KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
151KB, 1050x1050px
Hey I got this basic scart cable for NES but haven't been able to get the image working with BNCs on a PVM? Is it meant for use on European TVs only?
>>
File: superpac.png (1MB, 760x1242px) Image search: [Google]
superpac.png
1MB, 760x1242px
This might be kind of a dumb question but I got a 19 inch CRT monitor off of Craigslist yesterday (a Hitachi SuperScan Supreme 752) and I'm trying to set stuff up on it regarding Retroarch. For vertical games like Super Pac-Man, altho everything should fit on screen, I get cutoff on the sides (noticable here on the apple in the corner). It cuts off when it hits the letterboxing, and there's still room on the CRT for it to display there. Is there any way I can fix this so it displays everything on-screen with the correct pixel sizes and stuff?
>>
>>3345075
I cannot tell if I'm being trolled or not.
>>
>>3328580
Yo CRT question.

A while back I remember a bunch of /vr/ cats talking about some kind of RGB modded box from japan that was like $300? Does anyone remember what its called? I can't for the life of me find it anymore. It had RGB switches, Scart, and the works for LCD/LED flatscreens.

I figure you guys would know.
>>
>>3345181
xrgb
>>
>>3345192
Ah perfect, thanks.
>>
>>3345075
>57$.jpg

this was almost good bait
>>
new

>>3345295
>>3345295
>>3345295
>>
>>3345298
Since that one is botched and LCD fodder at that, anyone want me to make a new new thread?
>>
>>3345816
Let this general die. It was killed by spergs and autists.
>>
>>3337125
aspect ratio ;_;
Thread posts: 528
Thread images: 114

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.