[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good DOS games for a shitty laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14

File: ms-dos.jpg (48KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
ms-dos.jpg
48KB, 2000x1125px
I'm going to a trip and will only have my shitty laptop to pass time, recommend some good DOS games or anything that runs on a toaster of toasters.
>>
File: 515.jpg (177KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
515.jpg
177KB, 640x480px
Kroz and ZZT series
And most other text mode games.
>>
File: mount.png (5KB, 428x151px) Image search: [Google]
mount.png
5KB, 428x151px
>>3328370
I'm having trouble with dosbox, it doesnt let me change the directory to my game folders, it keeps saying that c:\ already is the directory.
>>
>>3328387
maybe it's already set to mount local C:\ as drive c: in dosbox.conf?
>>
File: arena.png (4KB, 504x145px) Image search: [Google]
arena.png
4KB, 504x145px
>>3328392
>>3328387
yea I just figured that out myself, changed it to d:\ instead. Now this seems to be my problem, the game was running OK earlier with this command. Any idea what might be the problem?
>>
>>3328387
You mounted that folder as your c drive. That means that folder is c inside dos box. You dont need to change directories or anything you got it right mostly
>>
File: fuckme.png (825B, 159x88px) Image search: [Google]
fuckme.png
825B, 159x88px
>>3328394
ok im a dumbass. Now that this works, keep recommending.
>>
>>3328396
Dungeon hack is awesome
>>
>>3328403
looks sweet, downloading now. I'm assuming that it plays similarly to Legend of Grimrock.
>>
File: dagger.png (73KB, 642x425px)
dagger.png
73KB, 642x425px
I'm downloading daggerfall atm and having trouble installing it. I'm at the installation screen and chose the huge installation option and this came up. Any way to increase the dosbox size or what's the problem?
>>
File: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.gif (16KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.gif
16KB, 320x200px
>>3328328
Prince of Persia, Lemmings, old LucasArts adventure games
>>
>>3328438
will definitely get prince of persia, been wanting to play it after seeing it in Game Center CX.
>>
Princess Maker
>>
>>3328406
Dungeon hack is randomly generated, so all of the puzzles will be kinda bad. For this reason I prefer Eye of the beholder 1 & 2.

I also recommend Master of Magic (needs an unofficial patch though), Skyroads, Archimedean dynasty, Abuse and D-generation
>>
>>3328328
Might & Magic 3
World of Xeen
>>
>>3328458
>Abuse

fuuuuck yeeeessss
>>
>>3328387
If you're on a toaster of all toasters, DOSBox is a really bad idea. If you got an actual DOS, use that. Otherwise you're better off with old Windows shit
>>
>>3328426
RTFM. That issue is described in the setup procedure that Bethesda distributes with the game
>>
File: Champions of Krynn.png (84KB, 653x411px) Image search: [Google]
Champions of Krynn.png
84KB, 653x411px
>>3328328
Just finished pic-related. It's quite convenient if you feel like going on an adventure and have some free time.
>>
Check out all the classic Apogee titles. Things like Crystal Caves and Secret Agent come to mind.

Also, the Commander Keen series.
>>
>>3328465
Yes please.
Was my favorite game at the time
>>
File: godofthunder3.png (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
godofthunder3.png
11KB, 320x240px
God of Thunder is pretty entertaining, kind of Zelda and kind of puzzles with funny dialogue. Also it's officially freeware now.

https://adeptsoftware.com/got/
>>
>>3328426
Ah, I miss mode 0x13. There was something homely about it.
>>
Lands of Lore 2: Guardians of Destiny.
I'm playing it now, it's pretty comfy.
>>
>>3329140
prove it, with an upclose screenshot of her
>>
u should play Secret of monkey island or the first 2 games,the third one i dont think is dos and the fourth one obviously isnt
>>
Here's a short list of good strategy games

Civ I
Medieval Lords: Soldier Kings of Europe
Crisis in the Kremlin
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
>>
File: caction1.jpg (55KB, 620x391px) Image search: [Google]
caction1.jpg
55KB, 620x391px
Covert Action would be a great recommendation if it didn't require the use of numpad keys. Fucking love this game, I don't know why Sid Meier shits on it so hard, it's my favorite of his games.
>>
I highly suggest playing the Ultima series, System Shock, XCOM UFO Defence, or Daggerfall.
>>
File: Linux.Debian.ZED.0.1.jpg (72KB, 648x426px) Image search: [Google]
Linux.Debian.ZED.0.1.jpg
72KB, 648x426px
zed was my favourite
>>
>>3333176
Z, and it's one of the best RTS ever. The idea to skip the whole base building and unit building thing was brilliant. It makes the game so brutally fast and aggressive, especially in multiplayer. Hell, the campaign is pretty much unashamed multiplayer with bots.
Also, the execution is flawless. Hilarious intro and cutscenes, very pretty spritework and an awesomely sarcastic computer voice "supporting" you
>>
Quest for Glory. Sierra Adventure RPG that has you pick between one of three classes and play the same character through the entire series. Works marvelously well on any toaster, and to date is my favorite game series bar none.
>>
>>3328328
>shitty laptop
how much shitty? a 500MHz 128 MB RAM laptop from 1999 ?

>3328828
>If you're on a toaster of all toasters, DOSBox is a really bad idea
totally, dosbos is emulation, not virtualization

most likely your laptop isnt that old, there are tons more good 90s windows games than old monachrome dos shit

unless you're going for not games that arent speed dependent like Sim Farm, that is still DOS only.
>>
>>3333783
im in a decent enough laptop that it runs most if not all dos games, so no worries, just keep recommending.
>>
>>3333176
Brings back good memories. I remember this being hectic as fuck at times.
>>
>>3335649
Name a RTS that isn't hectic.
>>
>>3328328
Liero
>>
>>3335654
Z dials the hectic to 11, because the unit building mechanics require constant pushing
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (142KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault[1].jpg
142KB, 1280x720px
What about Pizza Tycoon?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.