[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Races are classes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (519KB, 1280x826px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
519KB, 1280x826px
>Races are classes
>>
Yep. That's how the first edition of DnD worked.
>>
File: 1.jpg (306KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
306KB, 1920x1080px
>>3326452
Oddly enough Order of the Griffon is supposed to be based on 3.5 or something
>>
>>3326461
3.5 didn't exist in 1992
>>
>>3326468
well whaddya know a youtube reviewer lied to me again.
>>
>>3326452
Call it Basic D&D so it's not confused with AD&D 1st edition. BECMI wasn't exactly the first edition
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 360x492px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 360x492px
>>3326445
As it should be
>>
>Thief skills are useless
>Elves learn all the spells that mages do
>The intelligence and Charisma stats do nothing
>>
>>3326556
>Charisma stats do nothing
Sounds right for older crpgs
>>
>>3326445
That's intersectionality for you
>>
>>3326445
I love that game.
>>
>>3326556
>Thief skills are useless
False, they're just mostly useless at lower levels. But the Thief has fastest XP progression out of everyone. Also, he has other abilities like backstab.

>Elves learn all the spells that mages do
False, because they can't reach the higher spell levels that mages do. Also, Elf XP progression is the slowest of them all.

>The intelligence and Charisma stats do nothing
False. Charisma dictates how many henchment/hirelings you can have, and what their morale is. This is more important that you might think, since it was common in the 70's and 80's to have large dungeon expeditions (not just a small party like became common later on).
Also, Charisma directly affects encouter reactions, at least in cases where you can speak the other side's language (if the monsters are intelligent enough to have one, and all demihumans do). Needless to say, this stat is very useful in city-based adventures.
Intelligence dictates how many languages your character can learn, so it goes hand-in-hand with Charisma. The Basic D&D rules however don't limit spells by INT or any of that, since you're already limited by experience level. But a high enough INT gives an Elf or Magic-user a XP bonus of 5 or 10%, so they end up progressing faster.
Another thing with the Basic D&D edition is that the DM is free to make INT or CHA (or any other ability score) "checks" to resolve a situation, with or without a modifier.
>>
>>3329083
>in cases where you can speak the other side's language
How many characters speak Chaotic?
>>
>>3329346
I've always wondered what those old D&D "alignment" languages would be like. Or for that matter the elemental languages. I mean, in terms of grammar, vocabulary, etc..
>>
File: Moldvay_B11.png (2MB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Moldvay_B11.png
2MB, 1275x1650px
>>3329346
You don't really "speak" that, and you can't communicate as effectively as with a real language. At most you can communicate stuff like "I'm hungry", "It's dangerous here", and other very basic things. Useful in a pinch, but that's about it.
>>
>>3329423
>When a character changes alignment they forget their old alignment language and start using the new one immediately
D&D Basic is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>3329423
That's what I get from learning Basic D&D through Lodoss.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.