[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you log onto Starcraft Battle.net

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot 3.png (205KB, 641x482px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 3.png
205KB, 641x482px
>tfw you log onto Starcraft Battle.net
>>
File: Screenshot 2.png (2KB, 173x96px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2.png
2KB, 173x96px
literally a conversation i just had
>>
>>3325563
He's right. Based BABO4349.
>>
>>3325562
Is that language with all the fucked up A's and math signs real?

I've seen it used on bad vidya torrents and stuff but it can't possibly be readable, can it?

Is it just a result of my computer not being able to render whatever fucked up foreign letters are actually there?
>>
>>3325581
It's Korean maybe
>>
>>3325581
It's your PC not recognizing the language, though it also comes as a result of these old games not using Unicode and leaving it up to the O.S. to realize that's Korean and not someone having a stroke
>>
>>3325605
i figured that.

thanks pal
>>
File: UnicodeGrow2b.png (40KB, 734x492px) Image search: [Google]
UnicodeGrow2b.png
40KB, 734x492px
>>3325581

if every other character is "A" its unicode (uft-16, 2 bytes per character)

my pic is the standard 1 byte character,

and as you can see in positions 196 an 197 are the two weird As that you keep seeing

in UTF-8 the regular a-z 0-1 chars are 1byte and then my spanish/french/portuguese chars çñôàíü... are represented in 2 bytes, the fisrt byte is always one certain weird "A", that signals that the next byte will represent a 0-255 position on a totally different character table than the one in my picture.

and in UTF-16 every char even A-Z uses 2 bytes and i forget the details but...
very likely at least one or both of these bytes will NOT coincide with a position of a-z A-Z 0-1 (thats only 62 out of 255) in my pictured table so a program/computer/wtf interpreting the text as regular 1-byte-char text will spit out all these math symbols and diatrics and whatnot.

SO

if every other character is "A" its unicode (uft-16, 2 bytes per character), i think
or it might be UTF-8, but the user isn't typing a single latin character (that is a-z)

>>3325605
still i dont get how a game using single byte characters would show the text correctly just because the OS is using utf-8 or utf-16

PERHAPS east asian windowses have been using utf16 since... 80s because anything else it would be unusable ? the japanese still have a 60+60ish alphabet, what about korean/mandarin...?

and THEN starcrat 1 being from a time where western windowses still used extended-ascii charsets (1byte character for layman anons), blizzard chose to release korean/chinese starcraft that used utf-16 ("fixed" 2byte characters)

that would imply that user "june991101" could not evern send a "hi" in latin alphabet, and would explain his text having "A"s on everyother char position

but im just talking outta my ass really
>>
>>3325649
No, that's exactly why the game should use UTF. In korea it works because the ASCII table is modified to include moonrunes, but that excludes those weird characters that are shown otherwise.
>>
File: Table_ascii_extended.png (26KB, 480x792px) Image search: [Google]
Table_ascii_extended.png
26KB, 480x792px
>>3325649

ooops wrong pic

ISO8859 is just 1byte character, with some positions in the range 128-255 being used for the most common european languages

this graph is crazy, i dont know what they mean by ascii as even stardard northamerican windows install using the codepage windows-1252 with is almost identical to iso8859 and

ascii, windows1252, isso8859 are used as synonym in some contextsbut i digresssssssss
>>
>>3325562
anyone here on /vr/ want to play a match?
>>
>>3325652
>No,
to what exactly?

> that's exactly why the game should use UTF.

>In korea it works because the ASCII table

UTF, ASCII, pick one

--- u mean its in utf BUT even their 0-127 chars are modified?
in that case when transmitted to your american starcraft if should read as some a-z thrown in the middle

--- u mean its just 1bytechars like most 90s games but their entire 0-255 in modified ? (is that even enough for pictorial alphabets?)

>>3325662
no, this is now a character encoding thread!

go find some buddies to play starcraft with in >>>g you NERD!
>>
>>3325667
No to the second answer.

>UTF, ASCII, pick one
They SHOULD use UTF but they used heavily modified ASCII.
>>
>>3325675
>F but they used heavily modified ASCII.
in that case when transmitted to your american starcraft if should read as some a-z thrown in the middle

no?
still the repeating two kinds of weird As would suggest UTF is at play
>>
>>3325686
No, because standard ASCII covers some weird characters that aren't usually used. The koreans swapped them for their own characters in their version of it, and thus, when a korean says *insert korea character* it's interpreted as some number, then when it reaches you, it tries to interpret that number, but it's not the korea character, it's whatever it was originally, so 여보세요 ends up as ÁÈ+EA´FASDFASDÇCASDA_ÇAE
>>
>>3325601
it is korean.

>>3325581
he doesn't have the korean character set installed so it just shows up as gibberish
>>
>>3325662
I would but I have the pirate version :^) besides I suck
>>
>>3325562
>Comfy as fuck UI
>Cross-game support so that you could chat with people playing Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3
>Giant fucking chatrooms
>Trivia bots
>Having that secret channel that only you and your friends know about
>Constantly refreshing and updating games list
>Healthy rotation of custom games. Granted, you'd still see a lot of lobbies for the popular games, but even the less-popular games would pop up on the list
>Maps would download in seconds the first time you joined a custom game
>Custom ladders
>Could make a new account in seconds

Goddamn I fucking loved B.net. Thinking about how damn good it was just makes me realize how shitty Bnet "2.0" truly was
>>
>>3325963
Lost Vikings
Blackthorne
Warcraft
Warcraft II
Battle.net
Diablo
Lost Vikings 2
StarCraft
Diablo II
Warcraft III
World of Warcraft
Burning Legion
Wrath of the Litch King
-----------
Battle.net 2.0
StarCraft II
Cataclysm
Diablo III
Mists of Pandaria
Warlords of Draenor
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.