[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you improve it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

How would you improve it?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
I'd give it all new maps, seriously the vanilla maps in Doom 2 were terrible. Everything from the design to just how ugly the color scheme was, Doom 1 was interesting to look at, while Doom 2 just had a bunch of drab, brown places that all looked like sewers and factories.
>>
>>3324465
The guys there mainly discuss mods and the community.

I wanted to have a thread strictly dedicated to the vanilla game.
>>
>>3324452
Different setting, leading to new environment textures (less grey and brown) and enemies, and stronger emphasis on the dynamic light capabilities.
I'd add a new default input scheme that's closer to kb+m (with a dead vertical mouse axis) and controller support.
I would not change the resolution. 320x200, maybe 320x240, and 640x480 if I'm feeling really kinky. The sprites have a resolution designed for the old VGA mode.
I would not touch the arsenal, or pickups. Shit's quite balanced.
>>
Add single images between maps to elaborate a little bit more on the story, how the maps are connected. Add variants of the same map, with things changed according to the story, so the world feels more affected by the player's actions
>>
>>3324467
This. The best things about Doom 2 are the SSG and the new enemies. That's it. Level wise Doom was superior. Also the overworld map.

>>3324493
Fuck Sega/europoor PC cancer.
>>
File: Final_Doom_Coverart.png (241KB, 338x403px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Doom_Coverart.png
241KB, 338x403px
>>3324452
Already improved by this + Memento Mori, IMO.
>>
Xp unlocks
>>
>>3324452
By not improving it at all.
>>
>>3324452
Doom64
>>
Obviously add a bunch of stupid cinematic kills and have ammo and health show up everywhere. Oh and make the chainsaw instakill.
>>
It doesn't need fucking improvement. Why would anyone need neet scenery in a Doom game? I'm there to kill the fuck out of demons. It gives me the super shotgun as well and keeps it fresh with the enemies. Good enough for me.
>>
More weapons. Less chaingunners
>>
>>3324467
>complaining about ugliness in a doom game
>being this retarded
>>
>>3324467
IMO, The problem with Doom 2's maps wasn't the color scheme. It was the lack of thematic consistency.
>>
>>3324452
By loading up a megawad.
>>
Replace all Petersen and McGee maps with their D2TWID equivalents
>>
More textures, it is Hell on Earth and nothing looks like Earth. Possibly another boss/mid-boss since the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind were downgraded once more showing up many times through Doom 2.

Remove Chasm.
>>
>>3324452
More enemies
Actual boss fights
>>
>>3325992
McGee's maps were fine, though
>>
>>3326010
>Remove Chasm.

Overhated map
>>
>>3325897
you dont realize how striking and beautiful Doom was when all we had from FPS at the time was Wolf3d which was boring castle tiles and no celings floors or sky textures, Doom was a mix of drab military complexes, tech machinery with striking blues, green marble hell temples, red and white hell scapes, flesh walls, blood walls, green toxic sludges, bright red lava, dark red blood rivers...
>>
>>3326057
Most people don't enjoy walking on thin strips of land and inescapable pits.
>>
>>3326057
JUMP THA FUCKING CHASM
>>
>>3326063
>Most people don't enjoy walking on thin strips of land
I think it makes the map have an interesting challenge.

>inescapable pits.
The only case of this is in the room with the exit door, and its very easy to avoid falling in. I will agree that it shouldn't be inescapable to begin with, though
>>
Remove Petersen's levels.
>>
-HUD indication of when you have SSG
-make Megasphere crimson

that's about it
>>
>>3324467
Less abstract levels.
>>
>>3324452
I get that the subtitle is "Hell on earth" but the mid part of Doom 2, the city themed stages were almost all just weak to terrible. Game has a great start, and a great finish though.

>>3326010
>Remove Chasm.
It was only recently that I learned that people didn't like this level. I always thought it was a cool level since I was ~12. No idea why people have issues with the thin strips... its really fucking easy even when I was new to it. Just fucking take your time.
>>
>>3324452
Change the final boss. That is all.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.