[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: FVKF5FZGOZIPENA.MEDIUM.jpg (48KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FVKF5FZGOZIPENA.MEDIUM.jpg
48KB, 620x465px
Do you guys ever mod old games?
>>
Mostly just bug fixes or improvements from romhacking.net

Also the smooth day to night castlevania 2 patch is worth its weight in gold.
>>
>>3321913
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCfnehhRBsk

This one.
>>
>>3321862
im the only one who loves the FFVII big head models ? i think they where really charming and part of what made the game special
>>
File: Final-Fantasy-VII1.jpg (68KB, 977x645px) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-VII1.jpg
68KB, 977x645px
>>3321937
It's not the big heads, I just don't like my characters to have dumbbell/bleach bottle arms.
>>
>>3321937
Nope. I dig them too.
They were going for that chibi-look they had in previous, 2D FF games. Partly because the PS1 and 3D tech was still so new and hard to figure out, and partly because the pixelated 240p visuals projected on the old tube-TVs via shitty cables of the yesteryears made the image already hard to follow, so exaggerated shapes helped follow the game.
>>
>>3322294
Except they're not chibi in the FMVs, or in battle.
>>
>>3321917
Wow that's gorgeous!
>>
>>3322301
Yeah inconsistent character models gave that whole game a very strange feel.
>>
>>3321862
No, not really, especially not graphically.

Your OP image is a perfect example of why: PS2 era models for the main characters against a prerendered backdrop and legoman soldiers. It clashes.

At least having everyone be legomen is consistent. Graphics never bothered me much anyway.
>>
>>3322471
>PS2 era models for the main characters against a prerendered backdrop
REmake called.
>>
>>3322471

There are mods already that transforms all legoman into people. This is the year our Lord of 2016 already people. Tifa's Final Heaven (google it faggot) is already done.

Stop talking about a non-issue, jesus christ.
>>
>>3322294

That post makes no sense.
>>
>>3321913

For some reason I can't get patched/hacked ROMs to work in my NES emulator (nestopia).
>>
I used to have a ton of fun modding Dungeon seige. Could have huge tough monsters, cool spells and unque characters.
Also, I did play System shock 2 with a mod for better graphics.
>>
>>3322493

Then you're definitely doing something wrong. I play a ton of ROM hacks and translations using Nestopia. You don't even have to patch the games manually since the emulator can soft-patch them for you.
>>
>>3321862
For FF7 specifically, the retranslation and not much else. The PS1 version comes with some bugfixes too but I'm still waiting on that to get better.

Near everything else I've used outside of Doom are bugfixes or objective improvements.
>>
I can't believe they can make all these mods yet no fucker has figured out how to make the battles run at anything beyond 15fps.
>>
Doom is an obvious answer.
>>
Is there a single visual mod for FF7 that isn't total eye cancer?
>>
File: 1439015005557.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1439015005557.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>3322482
>takes the time to explain reasons for thier opinion
>basically "the chibi style was chosen to make the characters more readable on older tvs" is a valid point

Looks like you just cant into reading comprehension
>>
>>3321862
No I don't typically polish my shit.
>>
>>3322480
that one puts Cloud in the fucking retarded Advent Children trenchcoat thing despite the fact that it's a literal plotpoint in the game that he's wearing a SOLDIER uniform
>>
>>3322301
in the mideel lifestream quake fmv there are prerendered chibi models. looks like ass
>>
So what does romhacking mostly consist of? Simply altering sprites or level data with bespoke tools? Or do you actually disassemble the game code and rework it from there?
>>
>>3323139
Long been dealt with in the fan translation's package, I think.
>>
>>3322294
>>3322062
Anyone who thinks the "chibi" models are how they are due to technical restrictions are retarded.

Explain to me why couldn't they have used the battle models in towns and other environments when those consist only of 2D pre-rendered backgrounds... Even though the battle models are used in full 3D environments, with often many models, many effects, and with backgrounds too anyway.

It's not like they didn't have the budget or ressources to build more models, considering the budget they did have.

It's called art direction, in the same manner that FF4 and 5 used different, more detailed, sprites in battles.
>>
I muck about in Hammer for HL1 just making rooms and corridors. It's so satisfying, kinda therapeutic.
>>
>>3324218
most are assets, sprites or translations, but more is possible, if you're patient and insane enough
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.