[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repro fuckery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 14

Is it worth it to pay out the ass for an original and rare game like earthbound if you are just a person who loves retro and wants to experience the game on original hardware? Why not a reproduction cart? These carts seem like a viable alternative.

Is there any objective difference to playing a repro vs the real thing?
>>
>>3318381
if you're getting a repro you may as well just get a flashcart.
>>
>>3318381

>>3318386 is right, a Chinese Super EverDrive is like $45~50 on AliExpress, and will run EarthBound. But if you ONLY want to play EarthBound, or just want a cartridge to have and to hold, a repro isn't a terrible idea.
>>
>>3318381
>>3318381

To follow up and answer your other question, there's literally no difference other than the actual build-quality of the cartridge (obviously they're cheaper plastic), but the ROM data and gameplay experience will be identical.
>>
File: 1456802674070.jpg (107KB, 1024x657px) Image search: [Google]
1456802674070.jpg
107KB, 1024x657px
I started collecting bootleg famicom multicarts and the like just because so many NES games are prohibitively expensive. I suppose I could just get a flash cart but I like these bootleg cartridges and how shamelessly fake they are.
>>
>>3318509
Bootleg Fami games are a ton of fun to collect, they're so cheap and you can get an enormous library with like, 2 multicarts.
>>
>>3318381
>rare game like earthbound
>earthbound
>rare

Eat it up hipster.
>>
File: 02-11-51-32.jpg (196KB, 1042x710px) Image search: [Google]
02-11-51-32.jpg
196KB, 1042x710px
>>3318582
I've gotten a lot of these multicarts from some guy in Thailand for like 5 bucks a pop, it's been pretty great being able to get stuff like turtles tournament fighters and recca for so cheap. The build quality on them is still cheap but not as bad as slav carts.
>>
>>3318381
That game stinks.
>>
>>3318602
I just got a knockoff Famicom EverDrive so I mostly stopped buying the bootlegs, but I was getting them on AliExpress for about $5 a piece, that place is a wonderland for Famiclone shit.
>>
>>3318381
Don't buy repos, ever. You're paying someone for some bullshit job that they don't deserve money for, even worse if its a fan translation and they don't give shit to the translation team. Buy a flash cart or emulate.

Also I say that as someone who bought earthbound for $200. I don't regret it as its my favorite game ever made but still.
>>
>>3318709
>be me
>been running roms on my consoles since early 90s
>seen all translations come out
>got them all on my multiple flashcards
>still buy Secret of Mana 2 repro from aliexpress
>feels good man
>>
>>3318386
/thread
>>
i keep saying this, get the clear carts! they look so cool! other than that repro is pointless i admit
>>
>>3318404
The "ROM" is the same but the way the ROM is stored isn't, the chips inside the cartridge may be completely different. Some cheaper repos use NAND or NOR flash which will eventually cause the actual ROM to "rot" away and become unplayable. Some games like earthbound are notorious for including copy protections that cause the game to become near unplayable or unbeatable if the copy was done poorly
>>
>>3318709
>Also I say that as someone who bought earthbound for $200. I don't regret it as its my favorite game ever made but still.
There's nothing wrong with that. The reseller scum are the problem here. It's a shame really.
>>
Unless you lie to people and tell them it's original when selling it, then there's nothing wrong with a repro.

But like others said, I think you may as well get a flash cart.
>>
File: DSCF0137.jpg (1MB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0137.jpg
1MB, 2848x2136px
>>3318829
if people keep buying, i'll keep selling. i'm not gonna turn down $600 because of someone elses mental illness
>>
File: JackNicholson.jpg (372KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
JackNicholson.jpg
372KB, 1280x800px
>tfw I got a used copy of EB for $20 in the year 2000
>>
>>3318381
An exhibit had that cartridge for sale at my last Comiccon about 2 years ago, $300 or so.
Worth it?
>>
>>3318874
You can buy it on ebay for ~$200. Why would you drive somewhere to pay more for a game?
>>
>>3318876
It's more convenient for people who see it on sale right off the bat when they never intended to buy it to their own accord in advance, mainly without expecting there woul be a cartridg, but yeah, I'd go for the $200 one for sure.
>>
File: 4892.jpg (50KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
4892.jpg
50KB, 660x440px
Are Chinese everdrive clones made with the same shit NAND that will experience data rot?
>>
>>3318919
Flash carts usually use SD cards these days which is NAND flash. NAND can retain its contents for a long time if you use decent quality chips and periodically plug them into something powered so they can refresh the contents of their cells. Chinese repo carts are made as cheaply as possible and the source for the chips are probably not most reliable so there's no guarantee that they'll last very long.
>>
Gotcha. I was gonna buy two snes everdrive china versions. Wanted to have a replacement for when the other wears out from use. Will the one I keep in storage degrade over time even though it is not being used?
>>
>>3319000
Unlikely, but you might as well just order another when it wears out. It's likely to last you at least a few years, and these things aren't going to go away (fortunately).
>>
>>3319000
Don't buy one with internal(non-removable) storage where you have to hook the cartridge up to your computer with a usb cable. Get one with an SD/microSD card slot and use your own flash memory. The cartridge itself should be okay for the most part.
>>
>>3319016
He specifically mentioned the Super EverDrive China Version which is SD based.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-16-bit-game-cartridge-retro-console-game-card-for-developer-for-snes/32616525297.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.74.MHLVOC
>>
Perfect. I'm going to get a few flash carts from ali express then. Also, would it make sense at all to use a scary cable for snes and genesis and then a scary to component for my TV or just say fuck it and do s video mods all round for the best picture?
>>
>>3319030
If you have SCART on your TV, which is what I assume you're talking about, and you're on your phone, then use SCART. SNES will do S-Video without a mod, and I think the Genesis/MD will too, you could just buy the S-Vid cables and call it a day as well. Both are good options.
>>
>>3319030
RGB SCART is better than s-video but the difference is very minor. If you don't have access to a TV with RGB scart inputs or a converter for RGB scart to component(YPbPr) you can just use s-video.
>>
This was the everdrive I was talking about. From ali express, takes an SD card
>>
Perfect. Might as well get some s video cables to go with my flash cart. I want to step away from the games as a kid and see what else is out there on the 16 bit systems. Had to get a cart for genesis too since I've started to recently discover how many solid games are on that thing
>>
File: IMG_4529.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4529.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>3319051
Not to mention the Genesis flashcarts are literally $35. You'll enjoy them, anon. I've always been a retro gamer, but I started 'taking it seriously' lately, and really playing and appreciating the games in a way I never have. Got EverDrives for my Famicom and PC Engine and a CRT and it's been a revelation.
>>
File: musha03.gif (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
musha03.gif
17KB, 320x240px
Flash carts are a godsend. I am playing through libraries of consoles I've never even played as a kid because I usually just stayed inside Nintendo's garden with donkey Kong country and the like.
>>
>>3318381
>Is it worth...loves retro...original hardware?
Possibly. Some people are autistic that way.

>Why not a repro?
Because the sole purpose of repros is to extract jew gold from hipster scum. It's fairly obvious your jew gold is limited and highly likely you're hipster scum. Why play into their hands?

>any objective difference?
Confirmed by use of objective. A bad repro can be different in many ways. From failing the copy protection tests and deleting your save to falling apart after a while. There are good and bad repros and you're not going to know the difference without some research. Spend that time flipping burgers and you now have enough for a flash cart.
>>
So repros are shitty lo quality bullshit but somehow the same Chinese flash carts are ok?
>>
>>3319217
Flash carts that allow you to use your own flash memory are fine, it's when they force you to use *their* flash memory that there's a problem. Flash carts are also capable of simulating the hardware inside the cartridges. Repo carts might skip out on some details and make the game unplayable or unbeatable.
>>
>>3319217
Yes. They are constructed in totally different ways, and a flash cart is likely to last much longer. The primary storage medium on a flash cart is infinitely replaceable, and the other components are of higher quality than a glop-top repro.
>>
Perfect. I'll be owning quite a few flash carts in that case
>>
>>3318936
>periodically plug them into something powered so they can refresh the contents of their cells

like gavin curtis reply in http://superuser.com/questions/17350/whats-the-life-expectancy-of-an-sd-card

but what is this refreshing, simply plug it in for a second, or actually re-write all contents on the sdcard again?
>>
>>3319428
Flash memory is basically an sandwich of an insulator a conductor and an insulator. The conductor gets charged up and the insulator layers keep the conductor from losing that charge. These are the individual "cells." The problem is no matter how good an insulator is the electrons will eventually slip through them and the cell will begin to lose its charge. The microcontroller embedded inside the SD card are what manage the cells and make sure they remain charged up so I think you can technically just plug them in and the microcontroller will recharge any cells that are beginning lose their charge. If you want to be thorough you can periodically rewrite the data back onto the SD card.
>>
>>3319456
Keep in mind that it takes like 5 years at least for flash memory to lose it charge enough for bit rot to occur. The process can be accelerated in abnormally high temperatures though.
>>
>>3319069
I know there are issues with them, but how are NES everdrives? Like, would going to the PowerPak or something like that be better, and in a case like this, would it be better to go for the "legit" version in vain hope for updates to fix mappers, or just go for the aliexpress alternative?
>>
File: 20160529_221131857.jpg (891KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20160529_221131857.jpg
891KB, 3024x4032px
>>3319503
I just got a Famicom EverDrive from AliExpress, they are still the most expensive at like $75, but I couldn't justify $120 for a Ukranian one. I've been extremely happy with it for the ~3 weeks I've had it, and it shipped with the newest OS, despite the listing saying it was locked on V9. Pic related. Jack DIY Store on AliExpress has a ton of good reviews and reasonably fast shipping. My single user experience has been very good, it plays almost everything I've thrown at it and the save states are pretty rad. The only issue I've had is with the expansion audio being super quiet (even on the HI setting) on my RF only original Famicom, but it works perfectly on my AV Famicom so I think it's my hardware not the flashcart.
>>
>>3319519
I'm pretty sure the mixing circuits on different Famicom revisions differs, which is the reason why the original Fami is quiet while the AV is fine.

It's possible the OS was just edited to say V13 rather than the actual
V9.

I know it's the most expensive of the bunch, I just don't have much of an NES collection to begin with and it would honestly be the one that makes the most sense to me. Unrelated to any of this, but the flashcart and whether or not to try and get some sort of Famicom to replace my front loader are questions that cross my mind pretty often.

Modding either for RGB is another, but that's a whole different can of worms I'd rather not open at the moment.
>>
>>3319028
is there a Snes version? i could just replace the shell with one from some crappy game but i would like to have the label already printed so...
>>
>>3319169
>Because the sole purpose of repros is to extract jew gold from hipster scum

theres actually this thing called "physical copy" thats the reason i got my Seiken Densetsu repro, and a couple others tat were not released in English.
>>
>>3319652
That works in all regions
>>
>>3319660
>"physical copy"
>confirmed hipster scum
>>
>>3319169
>autistic
>jew gold
>hipster scum

You're the autist here.

>do exactly what I want or I'll call you names!!
>>
>>3318381
Na not worth it at all. For the same price just get an ever drive.
>>
>>3319652
I think there are SNES versions if you hunt around on AE.
>>
>>3319169
>Because the sole purpose of Flashcarts™ is extract jew gold from hipster scum.
>>
File: sd2snes.png (206KB, 490x372px) Image search: [Google]
sd2snes.png
206KB, 490x372px
Is the Chinese sd2snes copy any count?
>>
File: 1463132364810.jpg (68KB, 654x534px) Image search: [Google]
1463132364810.jpg
68KB, 654x534px
I'm tired of needing passwords to continue where I quit. So all of these Chink flashcarts have savestates right?
>>
>>3320348
Nope, I think only the Famicom/NES one does. But you don't need to worry about save batteries dying, since all your saves are written the SD card and easily backed up.
>>
>>3320180
You sound mad sport. Hit too close to the mark?

>>3320292
A few of us actually use flashcarts to test homebrew/hacks on original hardware. Granted that's one in a million less less but it does happen. Repros are 100% pure hipster scum.
>>
>>3320348
No, but many do. Just check before you buy. RTS doesn't work well, or at all, with some games though.

>>3320519
>i'm two dum two even read
>>
>>3322258
>You sound mad sport. Hit too close to the mark?

1. Insult people if they don't do exactly what you want.
2. if they tell you to stuff it, reply with "u mad?"

/vr/ is full of autistic little kids.
>>
Its entirely subjective.

However

If youre paying a premium based on the game that is on there, no, its never worth it.

Repro price should be cost of donor cart+ cost of any parts needed (wire/solder/ink/glue/paper) + small piece of any other parts needed that are reusable (like the shit used to write to the chips) + small fee for the dude making it.

If that price is $20 for a copy of earthbound but hes trying to sell a repro earthbound for half the price of a legit copy, tell him to go fuck off and die in a fire.
>>
>>3320342
seconding this does anyone here own one of these
>>
>>3318850
I have just the cart for e.v.o. bought it for like 23 bucks in 2000.
>>
>>3318403
>and will run EarthBound. But if you ONLY want to play EarthBound

Still the flashcart. You can disable the menu, and once you flash earthbound to the cart, it'll always be earthbound unless you hit reset and change the rom. There's no reason to buy reproductions.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
>>3318381
As long as you're not trying to sell it to some poor schmuck for $200 I don't see anything wrong. Some games are too rare and too expensive for buying legitimate carts to be viable.
>>
>>3324126
1. Be hipster scum
2. Go on /vr/

/vr/ is full of hipster scum
>>
File: 1457923758186.png (370KB, 508x359px) Image search: [Google]
1457923758186.png
370KB, 508x359px
>repro carts that try to be close to or indistinguishable from the genuine article to the point where they could easily be mistaken for the real deal or are trying to pass as legitimate
Bad

>repros which are either clearly marked as reproductions or are visually distinguished from the original in way that they couldn't be mistaken (different label art, cartridge shell color, etc)
Good

>bootleg carts like pic related that are so shamelessly fake they could never be mistaken for a legitimate copy or even mistaken for a licensed product
Best
>>
>>3318386

Came here to post this
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.