[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Definitive Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

Nintendo (and media in general) love to repackage their older games and update for newer hardware, sometimes altering the game for better or worse.

What do you think is the superior version of a game? Personal examples would be great.

For instance I think Metroid: Zero Mission is only option if you want to play the "original' Metroid. If nothing else, then because of the in-game map.
>>
>>3318331
>If nothing else, then because of the in-game map.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1974/
>>
File: 20160128_171006000.jpg (156KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20160128_171006000.jpg
156KB, 720x1280px
To go the opposite direction, I think the Famicom version of MOTHER/Earth Bound, is way better than the GBA version. Same for MOTHER 2/EarthBound as well. You can't just take a tile based game and remove the tile-based movement. It's like Ninten is ice-skating around the entire world. That and the soundtrack is truly a mess, considering how fantastic the Famicom one is.
>>
What's the point of mashing everything in one thread/image? I'd rather post it in threads dedicated to the series or at least the genre.
>>
>>3318350
Those are awfully tempting.
>>
>>3318376
So... a summary thread?
>>
>>3318350
Can these be combined into a super ROM?
>>
Sega Master System version of Sonic 1 feels like a pretty good "Nintendo Hard" platformer. I'd actually put it in my top 5 Sonics.

Why every single re-release outside of the Wii Shop Channel is the shitty, screen crunched Game Gear Version I will never know.
>>
>>3318350
neat, im gonna check this out.
>>
>>3318331
Usually Kirby's Adventure is preferred over Nightmare in Dreamland because of tower rotation.
All-Stars versions of SMB and SMB2 are often criticized because of broken mechanics.
Punch-Out didn't have ports or remakes IIRC.
SNES versions are often preferred over GBA ports because of lower-quality sound and lower resolution on GBA.
>>
>>3318576
The GameGear/SMS problem truly is a nightmare. You basically have to manually check every shared game, and some of them (like the later Mickey games) are tough calls.
>>
>>3318387
Yeah, probably.
>>
>>3319020
How is Deluxe compared with SMB1/2 and All-Stars? I hear that they incorporated All-Stars changes into Deluxe, but not sure if they are the ones that people hate or not. I know the lower resolution makes it hart to tell where you're going sometimes, but Deluxe is the way I played SMB initially, and I hate the physics in the original as a result. I never beat the entire game without warping, so I'm trying to decide which one to go for to replay it.
>>
>>3320495
Just stick with the originals
>>
>>3320495
Deluxe doesn't contain 9-D Worlds for SMB2jp and difficulty is reduced a bit.
>>
>>3320495
Deluxe has Screen Crunch, making it practically unplayable.
>>
File: 1421032444913-1.jpg (380KB, 1280x975px) Image search: [Google]
1421032444913-1.jpg
380KB, 1280x975px
>>3318374
No person thinks the gba port, mother 1+2, is better. On top of the movement and sound problem you mentioned it also has new glitches and fucked up color. Before the gba mother 1 side was thought to be the best version as it was the only version that used tomato's superior translation. Today there is actually a hack that puts tomato's translation on the NES version and decensors it meaning you have accurate script, music, color, movement, and sprites. The only flaw is some of the lines of tomato's translation exceeded the space limitation of the NES version. For example the redneck is still Wally.

As for earthbound/mother 2 only the snes version can be played by English speakers, which is fine as that version is perfectly fine.
>>
>>3320495
Deluxe would be a pretty good port if it wasn't assfucked by the screen crunch dilemna. Comes with being a console-to-handheld port back then.
>>
>>3319020
>All-Stars versions of SMB and SMB2 are often criticized because of broken mechanics.
What broken mechanics?
>>
>>3318331
There is no such thing as a 'Definitive Edition'. Its purely subjective. Don't let others tell you what is "definitive". You can see for yourself with your own tastes and preferences.
>>
>>3321610
t. someone whose favorite game has a superior port or remake
>>
>>3321639
Nice projecting
>>
>>3321605
SMB and TLL has a physics bug that would probably be missed by anyone who hasn't already been told about it or is a speed runner.

Essentially, when Mario hits a brick, he's supposed to be bumped downward, even if he breaks them.

But in the All Stars Version, if Mario breaks a brick with his head, he's actually pulled upward slightly, and isn't bounced downward at all.
>>
File: OoTComp01--article_image.jpg (30KB, 620x184px) Image search: [Google]
OoTComp01--article_image.jpg
30KB, 620x184px
I guess this would be the place to ask? I want to play Ocarina of Time for the first time and I was debating between the N64 and 3DS version
>>
>>3323079
Ocarina of Time 3D is the definitive edition in every category, except for some exclusive glitches and uncensored content that was present in the N64 v1.0.
>>
Many SNES games such as A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, etc. are better on the GBA due to new content, improved gameplay, portability, sharper graphics and displaying the correct aspect ratio.
>>
>>3323119
I seem to recall the Link to the Past GBA version sucking, though I couldn't tell you why right now
>>
>>3323079
>I want to play Ocarina of Time for the first time and I was debating between the N64 and 3DS version

The 3DS version reimagines all the character designs in a way that makes everybody look like something out of a Disney film. The environments are also much brighter, despite the game having an otherwise stark setting. Nothing about the 3DS version feels consistent with Nintendo's original vision of OoT. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time.

Nintendo 64 hardware and games are ridiculously overpriced at the moment, so I just ended up buying the GameCube OoT / Master Quest collection instead.
>>
>>3318331
>What do you think is the superior version of a game?

Usually the original version, unless there's a port with only minor aesthetic enhancements that doesn't take any liberties with content, and it also happens to fix any bugs or censorship issues that were present in the game. e.g. I'm most likely to say Final Fantasy Origins (or the WSC remake it's based upon) is the "definitive" version of FF1, since the Famicom / NES release is bugged to hell, and the NES version specifically was censored as a result of Nintendo's dumbshit policies. Of course, there are ROM hacks that can address those issues too.

Subsequent releases of the game water down the difficulty to casual levels, and shoehorn in all kinds of bonus content that feels completely out of place.
>>
>>3323161
>The 3DS version reimagines all the character designs in a way that makes everybody look like something out of a Disney film.

If you think the official Artwork for Ocarina of Time looks like Disney, then sure, I guess.
>>
>>3321587
>decensors it
So the original Japanese version is censored? And if I want to play it but don't need a translation I have to choose between censored and uncensored? Or is it the opposite and the original translation is based on the censored GBA version?
>>
>>3321587
Also "it's translated" isn't really an argument for it being better, so I'm not really convinced
>>
>>3321601
You can restart from the last stage even after a Game Over, right? IIRC it just clears your score. So, even if you end up dying once or twice because you can't see as much stuff on the screen, it's more forgiving than the original.

I definitely noticed stage 1-3 having a spot where you have to guess that you'll reach a platform if you jump forwards, but compared to restarting from the start of a world after a game over, and the physics of the original, I think I find it more tolerable. The bonus stuff like omikuji and challenges are fun too. I wish they remade it as an e-shop only release for 3DS to get the full screen size, though.
>>
>>3321587
A lot of people do though, you're speaking pretty broadly. Those ROM hacks of ROM hacks for the NES version are all garbage, especially that '20th anniversary' version. The untouched US ROM is the definitive way of playing the game.

>>3324546
The NES Prototype that was released on the Wii U eShop is mild censored, as much as all NES games from the time period. Crosses, cigarettes, and a tiny bit of cosmetic blood on sprites are removed. Otherwise, the US version is actually a major enhancement over the original Japanese version of MOTHER, so much so that the GBA version (which was also japan exclusive) kept all the changes from the US version, including the ability to run, the extended ending, and the censorship.
>>
File: 1449110838459.jpg (436KB, 691x565px) Image search: [Google]
1449110838459.jpg
436KB, 691x565px
>>3324546
The mother 1 seen in mother 1+2 is based on the unreleased US prototype of the game. Along with the pros of a extended ending and a run command unfortunately has censored content (sprites and dialouge). Another change of the US prototype is that some dungeons such as the magicant undergroud and duncan's factory were changed to become easier. This is more a personal opinion so I won't comment on it. I recommend getting the US rom and using the patch below. This version is uncensored, has the original color and music, and uses most of tomato's accurate script.

>>3325426
>The untouched US rom is the definitive way of playing the game
Couldn't dusagree more. The translation by Phil Sandhop is terrible with stupid changes he made for no reason. Lindbolm did a good job as he actually made sure the lines were as accurate as possible and censored only what nintendo made him. This is a case where censorship honestly hinders the game. I hate most people who complain about censorship as they only do it if it involves tits. The US rom is pretty terrible.
>>
>>3325470
I'll take an official translation over the video game equivalent of a fan-sub any day.
>>
>>3326843
You shouldn't pick either.
>>
>>3318350
Might play that shit after all... Lookin good
>>
File: 1433749071850.jpg (44KB, 465x620px) Image search: [Google]
1433749071850.jpg
44KB, 465x620px
>>3318331
I thought the addition of sound effects in the GBA Super Mario World titles was a little weird, don't know why it bothered me so much. Same with Link's shout being added to LttP on the GBA.
>>
I liked the 3D Classics line they put out.

Too bad they pulled the plug on it so quickly.

I assume it was because it didn't do as well as they hoped, but when they lead with Excite Bike and Urban Champion, they should have expected that.

At least Sega's still making them, I guess.
>>
>>3323079

Doesn't the 3D version come with the originals?

Either way you can play the original on anything. GC, Wii, WiiU or your toaster. I myself find the new animations super gay and really jarring.
>>
>>3327593
>Doesn't the 3D version come with the originals?
wat?
>>
File: tumblr_n9dlgzp7NS1r2qunro1_1280.jpg (625KB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9dlgzp7NS1r2qunro1_1280.jpg
625KB, 900x1300px
>>3326843
Well you sound really petty, whatever.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.