[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do adventure game fans hate Myst?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: myst.jpg (125KB, 640x737px) Image search: [Google]
myst.jpg
125KB, 640x737px
Why do adventure game fans hate Myst?
>>
I wouldn't hold the opinion of adventure game fans in high regard as they're the type of autists that don't like Grim Fandango based on the way it controls (completely forgetting the brilliant writing, setting, graphics, style, music, etc)

Myst however commercialized the genre in a way that hadn't been seen before, and I assume for an adventure game fan popular=bad
>>
>>3317797
Pretty sure you meant to say
"Why do adventure game fans love Myst?"
For maximum trolling potential
>>
the game lacks a visible protagonist and a clear narrative (it has one, but it's told more indirectly). Most of the puzzles are isolated and not natural aspects of the game world
>>
>>3317797
It lacked the utterly bizarre and nonsensical puzzles of traditional adventure games.

>cat hair mustache
>>
>>3317797
I ain't tryin to solve no puzzles
I'm just tryin to shoot some niggaz
>>
Prolly because it was one of the factors in reviving the "casual" computer market that had been dormant almost a decade at that point. Lots of non-technically inclined people started buying PCs again because they saw CD-ROM multimedia demos running in a store display or something.
>>
>>3317797
I wasn't aware that they do.
Riven is the greatest adventure game of all time
>>
>>3318419
I fucking hate that Riven gets ignored from the many treatments the first game goes through in regards to rereleases and remakes.
>>
>>3317797
Myst is one of the few adventure games I can stand. i normally like first person point in clicks more than the "graphical adventure" ones like kings quest and such. Myst never felt boring to me unlike graphical adventures. it was an intriguing story and world, and i just fell in love with it.
>>
>>3317797
>hate Myst
Please tell me such subhuman waste-of-air don't really exist.
>>
>>3318342
So basically, FUCKING CASUALS that only bought games for their graphics, right?
>>
>>3318581
Kind of. The personal computer boom of the early 80s brought about a lot of people who didn't know how one worked but bought them because it was a fad.

After the video game crash, the casual market kind of dried up for years and didn't really resurface until the mid-90s when multimedia and the Internet happened.
>>
>>3318342
You spelled "probably" wrong. You sound like an 8yo. Oh wait....
>>
>>3317797
I actually love Myst, I watched my grandfather play it as a kid, but I can't tell if I love it because of nostalgia or if it's because of its unique gameplay where you're thrown in without knowledge on anything.

It's a classic in my book.
>>
>>3318547
No need to remake what's already perfect.
Though, that's true for Myst as well - realMyst looks like ass and I will never touch it.
>>
File: myst.png (319KB, 282x721px) Image search: [Google]
myst.png
319KB, 282x721px
>>3318547
Popularity contest. Myst still sold more than Riven, so that's where the smart money is for remakes and re-releases. Of course there is that one group "working" on making a realRiven, but I remember them taking about 6-9 months working on the skybox at one point so god only knows if we will ever see results on that.

>>3318625
>realMyst looks like ass
I'll agree with you on the realMyst Masterpiece looking like ass, but the original realMyst is fucking pretty and atmospheric as fuck, moreso than Myst ever was. Pic related.
>>
>>3317804
I've never seen anyone dislike Grim Fandango, and anyway the remastered edition fixes the control issues.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1271x680px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1271x680px
>>3318658
>the original realMyst is fucking pretty and atmospheric as fuck, moreso than Myst ever was.
No, just no...
There's no way I could agree with such a ludicrous statement. It's beautiful pre-rendered images vs meh-tier 3D graphix.
Furthermore, the free-roaming didn't add shit to the gameplay, making it little more than a sad gimmick.

Here, have some shitty grass-textures and perfectly flat planks with perfectly sharp edges.
>>
Probably because it had the worst parts of adventure games without the redeeming qualities. Obtuse puzzles, a lack of charming characters and little notable music.
>>
File: 1246215484572.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1246215484572.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>3318717
>Obtuse puzzles
>little notable music
>>
>>3318734
I still hear the fucking Monkey Island orchestrated theme being played on radio stations today. Can't say the same for Myst.
>>
>>3318747
>It's good because it's on the radio
By that logic modern pop music is the fucking pinnacle of music, get fucked.
>>
>>3318764
>By that logic modern pop music is the fucking pinnacle of music
Fallacy. Those songs are pushed hard by big record companies, there's no comparison to playing a decades-old vidya song which is still popular because it's that good. Fuck off and stop being a dumb fanboy.
>>
>>3318260
The latter point is "fixed" in Riven.
>>
>>3320674
no1 cur. OP asked why Myst gets flak
>>
>>3318713
Realmyst was released back in 2000. Even then the level of detail was greater than in other games. One thing it does lack is animations, the places feel very stiff/dead.

realMyst feels more natural than the original. The original oozes early 3d fakiness, all following games steered away from that.
>>
>>3318775
Your whole argument centers around some radio that no one else has heard of. Even more, if you think popular liking constitutes musical greatness, then it's just another fallacy.
>>
>>3320678
You do understand answers don't have to center around OP?
>>
>>3320692
notable does not mean good, it means people taking note. So popularity is indeed a useful metric
>>
>>3320695
you do understand you're an annoying "b-but my series!" poster? Nobody gives a damn about riven being good or bad, you can jerk to it for all I care. The question was why people don't like Myst. riven being better, worse, greener or louder does not say anything about Myst. Says a ton about the shitlord that had to bring it up though.
>>
>>3320697
However it's not an absolute objective metric.

Anyways, I believe the music in Myst helps it grow as an experience. The leitmotiv speaks to me of the unexplored and slightly dangerous.
>>
>>3320719
>However it's not an absolute objective metric.
nothing ever is, nobody claimed it is. That's all your windmill

>Anyways, I believe
and none of it contradicts what that anon said. You raised a stink over nothing. If anything, you annoyed people that might have had interest in the game. So, well done?
>>
>>3320708
Is this your first day on a discussion board? Are you coming from an open source mailing list background or bbs?
>>
>>3320724
If you don't like the soundtrack, okay we get it. No need to rationalize your opinion into something objective and prevailing.

Oh and you don't know you're replying to anymore because the few posts above are not me.
>>
>>3320732
>If you don't like the soundtrack
I couldn't care less about it. Never got the game to run, so I never really heard it. Just taking apart your desperate attempts to defend the soundtrack against attacks nobody is making
>>
I played this game a lot back in the 90s, only got to the Channelwood and Mechanical ages and I only got there because I used the dial-up America Online we had back then to look up the answers.

I beat it in under 5 hours a few weeks back.
>>
>>3318713
>It's beautiful pre-rendered images vs meh-tier 3D graphix.
Please, The Journeyman Project came out before Myst and it still had better pre-rendered images than Myst. Riven was beautiful, Myst was acceptable.

>Furthermore, the free-roaming didn't add shit to the gameplay, making it little more than a sad gimmick.
Yeah, being able to actually walk or run around in 3D didn't add shit compared to clicking on the corners of static images. Are you serious?

>>3320687
This guy gets it. Damned near everything in Myst felt artificial and looked out of place, whereas it all looks natural if a bit primitive 3D in realMyst.
>>
i thought the prerendered graphics looked like dogshit when it first came out and still do

it's got a barfy uncanny valley feel to it and the colors just look awful
>>
>>3318547

It'd be harder to remake it due to all of the live action Riven has as opposed to Myst.
>>
Is Myst a difficult puzzle game to get into?
>>
>>3322465
you double click the launcher and wait, fairly simple
>>
>>3322540
you probably laughed your ass off writing that
>>
>>3322592
I did, especially since I'm >>3320739. Fucking Quicktime 4
>>
>>3320725
Jumping in, Riven fag is a dumb ass, don't give flak for someone criticising Myst, learn about what 'going off tangent' means first.
>>
I remember when Must was bundled in so many things esp computer software. Definitely an interesting game for its time
>>
IMO:
-Myst 1 sucked; it might have been good when it was released but I didn't find it very fun at all
-Riven is god-tier, particularly when I don't have to switch disks for every island. Still fun to this day.
-Exile was neat. Voltaic reminds me of where I live, so I love it, and Amateria is a very fun age due to the music and overall theme. Edanna, no opinion.
-Revelation had Spire. I fucking love Spire.
-Just bought Uru, will see how it is but not optimistic about it from what I've heard.
-End of Ages is dead to me
>>
Grim Fandango was much more harmful to the genre, though.
>>
>>3324832
Why?
>>
>>3317797
It's a mediocre collection of boring puzzles in a dull environment which was overpraised upon release for successfully wowing a few of the right people with its shiny graphics. Also, the basic concept had already been done the right way. It was called the 7th Guest.
>>
Does anybody have any opinions about RHEM? Looks fairly similar, but I've heard almost nothing about it since I learned about it a few years ago.
>>
>>3324858
3D and tank controls vs. high-quality sprite art and point & click
>>
File: 100805_rhem2_02[1].jpg (141KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
100805_rhem2_02[1].jpg
141KB, 1024x683px
>>3324912
It lacks Myst's story or worldbuilding but the puzzles are great. In terms of interconnectedness of puzzles the series is second only to Riven. Also the four games in the series are more consistent in quality than the Myst series imo
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.