[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is /vr/ a dadgaming board? The reason this thought was brought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Z0048524.jpg (130KB, 1023x797px) Image search: [Google]
Z0048524.jpg
130KB, 1023x797px
Is /vr/ a dadgaming board?

The reason this thought was brought to my head is because so many people prefer the older entries in /vr/ franchises to more recent ones, people prefer the old Castlevania games to SOTN, people prefer the classic Puyo Puyo games to Fever, early FF games to the later entries, classic Gradius trilogy to Gaiden, heck oldschool shmups to later shmups in general, etc. etc. This is all beside the fact /vr/ shits on non-retro games, but this thread is not about that.

How much of this is justified, how much of it is teenage hipsters being edgy, how much is old men being nostalgic?
>>
As gaming stopped being niche, it grew more popular, budgets increased and companies needed more people buying, which meant games stopped being good overall
>>
>>3317773
>How much of this is justified
Taste can be justified?
>>
>>3317773
This is an interesting thing to think about. I love both retro and modern games, but many series that have been around for a long time have changed into different kinds of games that may not appeal to people used to what the series used to be.

But even though I hate what's happened to Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider and Castlevania specifically there are still other games that now scratch those itches. Or new itches I never knew about.
>>
>>3317773

Are you implying retro games have zero redeeming qualities compared to modern games? Exactly what is there to justify?

Remember that these games are often re-released through Steam, Virtual Console, whatever. If there weren't some realistic demand for them, I don't think these types of services would continue to acknowledge retro games in the first place.

>nostalgia

Maybe. I am 31, so I did grow up with third- and fourth-generation games.

We had a thread awhile back along the lines of, "Why do you prefer retro games?" It may still be in the archive.
>>
I think a lot of it more depends on how the games in the series themselves have changed. Take Final Fantasy. I prefer the turn-based battle modes of the older ones and MUCH prefer the open-ended exploration of the game universes. The modern ones feel far too linear and on-rails. The storylines are still good and I still play them, but they've lost the fun element that attracted me to the series in the first place.

It's a common trend too, generally shoving you into a linear story with big-budget cinematics tossed at you. I'm just not a fan of that noise.

The indie scene still has a lot of games that are damn good, and fun, and buck the trend.

I think it's less nostalgia-goggles and more that the current mainstream trends just aren't as fun IMO.
>>
>>3317773
Well, I'm 39 and still play new stuff. I prefer SotN over any other entry in the series.

I actually have a hard time enjoying most 8-bit games over the later sequels. If I was to nostalgia too hard, I'd be stuck playing old Sears dedicated pong units, and the 2600. There's a few gems there, but not that many. I think it just depends on what your situation was. I spent a lot of time in arcades in my youth, and it wasn't until the 16-bit era that we really started to enjoy games that were close to arcade quality. I mean, yeah, the NES had Gradius, and decent ports of some older arcade games, but as a youngster depending on the kindness of parents and relatives buying random games for me, I played a lot of shitty NES titles. You have to remember that there were 750ish games on the NES in North America, and maybe 3 dozen that people still hold in high regard. Unless you had the luxury of choosing every game you had access to, you were going to get handed some shitty titles, anyone that denies it is a hipster or unable to live in the now.

By the 16-bit era, most dedicated gamers had access to a few gaming magazines, even if it was just picking one up at the grocery store. At least then you could read reviews and ask for the right games. The only thing most of us got in the 8-bit era was Nintendo Power, and that mag would make every game sound awesome. I mean, they hyped the shit out of fucking Hydlide...

By 5th gen, my group was pretty well informed. We read reviews. Had jobs. We got to really focus on the games worth playing. But then, we also had less time to play them.
I think for me,the golden age of gaming was between '95 when I graduated, and 2002, when people started getting successful in their careers and raising families.

I think that on the big game series, you'll find that people prefer the one they spent the most time on as a kid. Once you've mastered a title, other entries just never feel right.
>>
>>3318102
>I actually have a hard time enjoying most 8-bit games over the later sequels. If I was to nostalgia too hard, I'd be stuck playing old Sears dedicated pong units, and the 2600
that's a reductio ad absurdum and even a non sequitur. The rest of your comment is pretty good, so I have no idea why you put that thing in there.
>>
>>3318109
It's probably because I'm stoned. It was just to point out where gaming started for me.

If I wanted to be graded on my writing, I'd have my English degree toting wife edit my posts.
>>
>>3318117
>If I wanted to be graded on my writing, I'd have my English degree toting wife edit my posts.
if I had an English degree toting wife, editing posts would not be the first thing on my mind. Nice mental image though, thanks
>>
File: FFIXReview002.jpg (215KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FFIXReview002.jpg
215KB, 1280x720px
>>3317773
I think a lot of it is hipsterism and nostalgia. When I see remakes and remasters, I get excited because it makes me think of how I would've always wanted the game to be. Of course, there are exceptions, everyone likes to point at Square and their previously shitty remasters, but even they've gotten their act together. A few bad apples does not ruin the concept.

As for how this applies to different games rather than remasters, it's definitely all over the place in that case.
>>
>>3317773
>because so many people prefer the older entries in /vr/ franchises to more recent ones

That's simply because most of the games, especially the ones you've listed went through some titles, especially during the mid 90's, that changed the overall concept or balance, people who've grown with classicvania tend to prefer it to Metroidvania, even if they do like the concept, it's more common to have a stronger bond and preference for what you grew up with, same with Zelda games and so on, the contrary can also be true however, but it's not as common.
You don't need to justify tastes Anon, liking things isn't a crime here, at least, not yet.
>how much of it is teenage hipsters being edgy
The vast majority of regulars here are on their late twenties or mid thirties, so don't count teenagers in, they're not as common.
>how much is old men being nostalgic
Ehhh, depends really, but yes, there's a lot of nostalgia goggles in here.
>>3318117
>If I wanted to be graded on my writing, I'd have my English degree toting wife edit my posts.

Too bad she's too busy playing on your Retron V with her son to do that, oh well, that's a happy marriage for ya, brings a tear to my eye really.
>>
>>3318179
>Ehhh, depends really, but yes, there's a lot of nostalgia goggles in here.
this one always makes me chuckle a bit. I'm old enough to have played 3nd gen, but never had a console, with the exception of a PS2 long after it ended its own run, like 2009 or so, for a year or two. Been a mustard since day one. I've more or less been "discovering" 3rd, 4th and 5th gen over the last couple years, slowly learning what people have been playing, how these games functioned. It's like a whole different world. And it's not so much nostalgia for me, as it's discovering other forms of gaming
>>
>>3318193
>as it's discovering other forms of gaming
Same for me my brother, as I said, it depends, but to deny that there's a lot of nostalgia in here is a bit too much.

It's kinda funny when you're accused of defending a game due to nostalgia when you've just played it a few days ago for the first time though.
>>
>>3318209
yeah. Even better, when you do mention you're playing it for the first time, you're next accused of being underage.
In the end it just means the accusers can't imagine playing these games outside of nostalgia, which speaks more about them than anything else.
>>
>>3318217
>which speaks more about them than anything else.
Pretty much.
Well, those kind of people are usually here to just talk about games, not play them and then talk about them, worst case scenario they didn't even play the games to begin with and just parrot stuff they've heard here.
>>
>>3318109
>that's a reductio ad absurdum and even a non sequitur.

Go outside, talk to girls.
>>
>>3318109
You need to get laid pronto
>>
File: Cicero Statue.jpg (105KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cicero Statue.jpg
105KB, 600x800px
>>3318109
I have no idea why you put that thing in there. hehe

>non sequitur.
whats non sequitur in that? he most likely forgot to type a word, and the phrase is still inteligible

"If I was to nostalgia too hard" = probably = "If I was to be affected by nostalgia too much"

>reductio ad absurdum
he used some hyperbole alright, but in a thread arguing about opinions and with OP making allegation about consensus and demograph in an anonymous iumageboard, i dont see the issue

>>3318274 >>3318326
fuck off sex studs, no discussion is silly enough to exercise ur oratory skills on the internet, have some fun faggots
>>
>>3318179
No kids for either of us. But she's a travel nurse, currently 6 hours from me. For all I know she's getting plowed by Dr. Johnson right now.
>>
>>3318358
>whats non sequitur in that?
Anon kind-of-equated enjoying 8-bit games and nostalgia

>he used some hyperbole alright
accepted

>i dont see the issue
4chan threads are constantly on the edge of an explosion, everybody's reading things black and white and blowing them out of proportion. In such an environment hyperbole is not helpful
>>
>>3318375
>4chan threads are constantly on the edge of an explosion, everybody's reading things black and white and blowing them out of proportion. In such an environment hyperbole is not helpful
Then people should stop being retarded. There's no reason to work around other people not getting things.
>>
>>3318274
>>3318326
Those are nice examples of simple appeal to probability and/or ad hominem.

I like that, clean, easy to whip out and usually effective, good stuff.
>>3318372
>But she's a travel nurse
Damn, that's tough, I hope she has at least a good shift, that kind of work is tremendously taxing, having kids would only be harder for the both of you.
>For all I know she's getting plowed by Dr. Johnson right now.
Eh, we all do as long as we need medicine, wish I could make some joke about this but sadly I can't come up with anything.
>>
For me, it's all about simpler times (I'm over 40 now) and sound chips and sprites. I don't care about new games at all, whatsoever, and haven't since like the mid 90's, when everything started going 3D.
The other factor is that I'm a programmer by trade, and I feel like computers have become too complicated for their own good. It's nice to go back to simpler machines that don't have dozens of useless layers of abtractions and overcomplicated interfaces.
>>
I'm 32. It's not that I don't like new games, I do too. The main reason why I gavitate to old ones is that I'm familiar with them and I know exactly what game to play to scratch a specific itch.

Modern games for me have way too much forced cutscenes, tutorials, and dialog. Starting from the beginning of a modern game is a fucking chore sometimes.

>boot game
>"Vrrrrooom *whisper nvidia* "
>Brought to you by HAVOK
>4 game publisher logo screens to crawl pass
>sometimes unskipable cutscene on first play
>"Please enter your name"
>You are forced to play a tutorial
>"To look up, move your mouse up"
>15 minutes later
>10 minute long cut scene with developer credits
>Tries to be hollywood and dramatic but all and all the you've seen the story done better somewheres else
>cut scene ends
>walk in straight line
>cut scene
>crappy voice actors screaming, doesn't matter if I'm playing a puzzle game or fps
>way to over the top
>asks for credit card number
>load times

modern games are shit for these reasons. I can play super meatboy for hours, even modern games that don't do this bullshit are fine too.
>>
>>3317773
>people prefer the old Castlevania games to SOTN
nostalgia & hipsters

>people prefer the classic Puyo Puyo games to Fever
nostalgia

>early FF games to the later entries
hipsters

>classic Gradius trilogy to Gaiden
nostalgia

>heck oldschool shmups to later shmups in general
hipsters
>>
>>3317780
Yes. But the op is a just a troll. He neither cares nor explores gaming. He's just come over to rile some people up with piss poor accusations and trying to imply that newer = better as a fact when that's simply not the case.

Are all new games shit, no. Are an overwhelming majority shit? Yes.
>>
>>3317773
>game boy
>GBC pic
>>
>>3317773
>Is /vr/ a dadgaming board?
Can you translate this from chanspeak into an actual question?
>>
>>3318695
I assume he is adapting the term dadrock to gaming.
>>
>>3318646
You sound insecure.
>>
>>3318109
<reductio ad absurdum

Wingardium Leviosa
>>
File: 1439859096648.jpg (146KB, 635x869px) Image search: [Google]
1439859096648.jpg
146KB, 635x869px
Have you ever thought that mayyyyyybe people like an older entry in a franchise because of various elements that factor into that preference such as the newer entry adding unnecessary elements or something similar in regard rather than because they're just old?
>>
>>3317773

I'm 22 and I just prefer retro games generally. Some of my favorite games are modern though.
>>
>people prefer old things over not-as-old-things on the board for old things
Who would have thought.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.