[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pros and Cons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: Raspberry-Pi-emulator.jpg (236KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry-Pi-emulator.jpg
236KB, 700x400px
So what are the Pros and Cons of Emulation?
>>
Being able to endlessly post bait threads about them on 4chan.
>>
>>3315961
pros: more options with games (savestates, speedup etc)
access to entire library for free
no hookup and space hassle

cons
not all emulators work well
not all games work well on emulators
getting proper controllers can be a hassle
not an authentic experience.
>>
>>3315970
</thread>
>>
>>3316024
but nobody has even been called a faggot or anything
>>
>>3316078
You're a faggot. kys, etc.

Now /thread.
>>
>>3315961
Pros:
Poorfag friendly
Casual friendly

Cons:
Everything else
>>
>>3316524
>Busyfag friendly
Plain convenience is a big factor that influences me using emulation.
>>
Might as well make it a general at this point "People that like emulation and people that like original hardware call eachother faggots general"
>>
>>3316540
>busy
>plays video games
>>
>>3316540
>turn on TV
>turn on console
>pick up controller
>play
How that isn't the most convenient way to play boggles the mind.
Maybe you'd be less busy if you weren't trying out every single ROM your downloaded, individually.
>>
>>3316867
Because a lot of your free time doesn't happen at home?
>>
>>3317061
If he meant that he could have said mobile/portable instead of busy. Fail apologist fails.
>>
How many of these threads do we need? Just bump the 3 other god damn "emulation vs original hardware" thread that exist already

Anyway the main pros and cons for me are:

pro:

incredibly convenient to set up

-
incredibly easy to set up good controls if you use the right usb controller
-
can take it with you anywhere if you have a laptop and can enjoy these customizations to fit your needs anywhere you go instead of using a 3DS or a PSP (unless you prefer it)
-

Roms are free and easy to get

-

translated Japanese games are awesome

-

Beautiful quality, and can customize anything, including tweaking your video quality settings all you like, instead of being stuck with an RF or composite

Cons:

Not the "authentic" experience having the actual game and console. I don't give a shit at this point but I understand
-

The temptation for easily using save states to make the game easier. Again, I don't give a shit at all but I understand
-

People complain about input lag but I do not ever notice any input lag whatsoever, unless the game runs like shit in general on my computer. So yeah it sucks when emulation isn't accurate for certain systems like for N64 or Dreamcast or others
>>
>>3317091
Another con:

Kind of sucks not using the right controller for certain systems, like the NES controller for some games, sometimes the lack of 6 button Sega controller sucks too. N64 is the worst offender of this though. It is hard to play certain games without a N64 controller
>>
>>3317095
Go to Aliexpress and order some USB retro controllers.
You can get great ones for less than 5 bucks.
>>
>>3316867
> convenient
> needing to own a copy of each game, or a flash cart
> needing to own the particular system and all the cables to run it

I own quite a few consoles myself, but obviously emulators are way more fucking convenient.

I can download literally thousands of games and the emulators to run them in minutes.
>>
>>3317513
>obviously
Only to kids who pretend to own quite a few consoles.
Needing to own carts isn't an inconvenience unless you're a poorfag.
Needing to own systems and cables isn't an inconvenience unless you're a poorfag.
I see a trend developing here. Do you?
>>
>>3316524
>>3317610
>muh poorfag
>muh carts

Buying software is for fucking idiot hipsters — poorfag or not. Also owning carts and hardware are both a huge inconvenience — poorfag or not. It's funny how you act if if the poster you replied to only owns a few consoles, yet you still say that these are only inconvenient if you're poor. Anyone that has owned a lot of carts and systems knows that maintaining and organizing them takes work (I'm sure since you're so rich you just get your maids to do this stuff), hooking up switches so you can play all your consoles takes work, repairing systems takes work, carts and consoles take up a lot of space as your library gets larger and larger, and both hardware and software are pricey. Although real hardware is way better, this is all extremely inconvenient compared to downloading a few executable files and rom packs on your PC. Inconvenience is worth it.

>>3315970
>>3317091
>muh authentic experience

Gayest fucking meme ever. I'm sure play on a shitty low-quality 15" crt with component cables in your parents house too? No, you don't because that fucking sucks. We have a lot better options on how to play nowadays. Just say emulators aren't as accurate as the real hardware, much better than muh feelings.
Anyways, emulators for the most part fucking suck. Real hardware + flashcart, rgb mod (if necessary), proper upscaler or nice CRT, is probably the best way to play old video games.
>>
>>3317828
It's funny how you act as if you can into reading comprehension.
I'm sorry you have trouble plugging in wires. It took me about 5 minutes per room to wire up the cables and switches. Must stuck to do PC gaming on a netbook because desktops have wires.
I understand the 1 CBM it takes to hold multiples of every console worth playing may be a lot to a youngling sharing a flat with a few other losers. For a grownup with a house it's nothing.
Hardware and software are only pricey because, due to either age or poor judgment, you're a bandwagon collector and didn't buy earlier. Even if you aren't old enough to have been able to buy stuff a few years ago, or read a Japanese website to import, prices aren't so high the average adult with a career can't buy anything he wants.

So thanks for your input it's been helpful. I now understand that it's more of an underage issue than a poorfag issue. Being poor, unable to comprehend wiring, not already having games, these are all just side effects of being too young when you jump on the retro bandwagon.

I don't let the maids touch my vidya.
>>
>>3319034
don't respond to bait
>>
>>3317828
>Anyways, emulators for the most part fucking suck.

Never had a problem with most emulators
>>
>>3321968
Just from the top of my head: can't play coop in battletoads from 11 on. Some retarded inbuilt mods which you have to bother to turn off, needing to actually figure about the whole fucking program. Like in SMB I accidentally found some "-1 level". Jesus fuck, DON'T FUCK WITH ORIGINAL GAMES, just make mods separate roms.
>>
>>3322008
0/10 Sheldon
>>
>>3322016
well memed
>>
Pros

>it's free
>you can use any controller you want for any system
>you can play arcade games which otherwise would be never attainable (too rare/never received a good port or a port at all like Outrunners or Scud Race)
>you can shitpost while playing your favourite game

Cons

>I-IT DOESN'T FEELS RIGHT -- I actually prefer playing on the tv as I don't have the right setup to plug the pc or notebook in my crt
>it's cool to play Daytona USA or Outrunners using my wheel but playing it in the cabinet is a way better experience
>N64 """"emulation""""
>>
>>3322158
>>N64 """"emulation""""
How is the Wii VC in that regard? Last time I tried, I felt like it had a low frame rate (might just be me). I guess the main issue is that you can't use a USB controller with it.
>>
>>3322158
You can use any controller you want on any system if you get adapters
>>
>>3322395
Wii VC is actually really good.
>>
>>3322395
>I felt like it had a low frame rate
If you are european and trying to put NTSC games in it, you have to boot the Wii on 480i/p. Other than that, Wii VC is a good selection and is good. A shame about Rare though.
>>
>>3315961
accuracy and compatibility are the big deal breakers for me when it comes to emulation. it's not /vr/ but dolphin 5.0 has really stepped up on what I wanted out of it, especially since gamecube game prices are shooting up real high for unknown reasons.
>>
>>3322158
Speaking of controllers, how can I get mednafen to recognize rumble on my controller? I have a dualshock 2 plugged in through one of those mayflash adapters and in all the other emulators and games I can get rumble just fine, but for some reason it doesn't recognize that my controller has vibration capablities at all.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.