[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NES power supply

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 20160625_182322.jpg (585KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160625_182322.jpg
585KB, 2048x1152px
Hi /vr! My NES doesn't work anymore. I managed to find out that it comes from power supply. Do you guys know the value of winding resistance on both side and the wiring schema?
Thanks a lot
>>
>>3315770
What the fuck did you do?

Also, don't wind a new power supply.
Just buy a new one capable of handling the amperage needed.
>>
>>3316725
That's 9v at 1.3 amps, btw.
>>
>>3316725
>winding resistance
I'm guessing he's a non native English speaker who knows maybe a little bit about electrical work and next to nothing about electronics. Winding resistance is something you measure in power transformers, like those big things you see on poles or at substations.
If he's that desperate to save money not buying a $5 replacement PS he could replace the transformer with any old one with similar specs. I can't say exactly what those are because Brazil has a fucked up power system. The guy is no doubt from Brazil based on his language and electronics skills. Also his ability to check the catalog for a mod/repair thread.
>>
>>3317124
Yeah, I know what winding resistance is, I make HV transformers for hobby projects.

I recommended that OP just buy a replacement because it didn't look like he knows that much about electronics, not enough to redo the power brick correctly anyways.

If OP were to try and rewind the transformer I almost guarantee he'd forget any kind of regulatory circuitry and wind up further damaging his NES, hence the recommendation to just buy a new PS for like 8 bucks and save time.
>>
>>3317147
What kind of regulatory circuitry did they hide in those winds back in the day?
>>
>>3316730
And remember, the NES uses AC power and uses a bridge rectifier to internally convert it to DC current. This is not like the Famicom which takes DC directly.
>>
>>3316725
>>3317147
>>3317404
Just about every 3rd party power supply just feeds 10-12v DC.
>>
>>3317398
My bad, I forgot that the NES power brick was literally just a transformer.
Still, it much easier to pick up a new power brick.

>>3317404
I don't think DC would be a problem.
Rectifiers will take DC just fine, unless it can't take the 100 duty cycle and overheats.
>>
>>3317404
The main reason for this was because they could adapt the toaster NES to international sales; it was easier to switch out different power supplies depending on the country.

I don't think you'll blow anything up if you attach a DC adapter, it probably just won't power on whereas if you attached a NES power adapter to a Famicom, instant magic smoke.
>>
>>3317412
>The main reason for this was because they could adapt the toaster NES to international sales; it was easier to switch out different power supplies depending on the country.

Anything else you'd like to pull out your ass?
>>
>>3317416
Because they did the same thing with the Commodore 64, which also has an AC power supply with a bridge rectifier. This setup made it easier for international sales.
>>
>>3317420
Oh. Well nevermind. My bad.
>>
>>3317425
No offense taken, just avoid insulting people like >>3317416 if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
>>3317420
I could swear that third party Commodore 64 PSUs also just output DC?
>>
>>3317431
Yeh but with the C64 it's a little trickier since the power supply plug is a DIN connector and not a normal single lead one like the NES uses.

The C64 power brick is a horrible disaster anyway; they always overheat and malfunction, which damages stuff in the computer (most often the RAM).
>>
>>3317420
Completely different design there guy. The Famicom used DC.

Mitsumi would had designed the NES layout.

What makes far more sense is Nintendo attempting to apply their policy of selling power supplies separate to America. But backing out later and just leaving the AC power supply. Have the AC power supply would had limited option of replacements.

I've read the theory of Nintendo being afraid of new regulations for power supplies.

Both those are a lot more plausible than your bullshit theory. Which falls apart when you consider the SNES had DC and the PALShit SNES had AC.
>>
>>3317425
This isn't me btw.
>>
>>3317448
>The Famicom used DC
But that was before they gave any thought to selling the things outside of Japan.
>>
>>3317454
I'm these guys.

>>3317124
>>3317406
>>3317416
>>3317448
>>3317453
>>
>>3317453
See the Twin Famicom also. That was made at the same time as the Sharp NES TV.

Also the AV famicom.
>>
>>3317457
I'm not all of those people.

>>3317454
You. Quit using /b/ memes from 2008.
>>
>>3317454
>>3317457
Your overated general not getting enough posts?
>>
>>3317464
>>3317461
Wut.
>>
>>3317471
QUIT REPLYING TO SHITPOSTERS LIKE IT WAS ME, DUM-DUM. I'M ONLY ONE OF THE TWO PEOPLE YOU REPLIED TO.
>>
>>3317473
>>3317464
>>3317461
>>3317457
>>3317448
>>3317416
>>3317412
Jesus Christ, must you be this much of a /v/tard.
>>
Don't be retarded OP, just use another transformer. It's not exactly an uncommon one, and the NES isn't exactly picky. The one I use is a repurposed generic computer transformer from the 80s. Go check your bin-of-old-electronics and don't worry about making one from scratch.
>>
>>3317124
OP here. You're right i'm an non native english speaker. I don't want to built a new one but i would like to find wich winding has failled for personnal interest.
>>
>>3317587
Check each side for zero/infinite ohms. If that doesn't tell you unwind until you find the problem. You probably won't have to go further than the outer insulation. One side will most likely be visibly burnt.
>>
>>3317824
Better yet, just use simple math.

Find out if your wall socket has 127v or 220v.
Transformers work in ratios, so if the wall socket is 127v, then to get 9v on the transformer's output we need a 127:9 primary to secondary ratio.
I'd use 1,270 turns primary to 90 turns secondary.

Adjust the ratios if you have a 220v socket, and check your output before you plug it into the NES.
>>
>>3317889
Are you the crazy guy who winds regulatory circuitry in his transformers from before? For someone who advises not to wind one you sure are obsessed with having him do it. The guy already said he doesn't want to wind one. He just wants to figure out what happened. I guess you're feeling special by constantly trying to derail the thread with your winding shit but all it's doing is making you come off as a kook.
>>
>>3318979
Dumbass.
>>
>>3318987
Oh, damn. You got me. Slick burn sport. You sound mad.
>>
>>3315770

Try removing that disgustin SEGA sticker from it.
It has suffered too much, give It a break you moron.
>>
>>3317478
>just use another transformer. It's not exactly an uncommon one, and the NES isn't exactly picky.

The NES has an internal 7805 regulator with a good sized heat sink; This takes whatever your external supply voltage is and knocks it down to 5vdc inside the system. If you opened a nes and bypassed the power regulation you could run it off a 5vdc call charger or usb port..
V-drop across a 7805 is typically about 1.7 volts so as long as you are at about 7.2 - 15V your fine, don't overthink it.
Go ahead and take the transformer apart if you want, there will be a break in either the primary or secondary winding, Likely caused by the heat of being plugged in 24/7 for a decade.
Oh and if you want to be a real hero you can buy a 110 or 220 -> 10-12 transformer from mouser or digikey which could fit into the shell of your original powerpak.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.