[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Sonic the Hedgehog look better than Super Mario World?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 28

File: SB.jpg (53KB, 645x308px) Image search: [Google]
SB.jpg
53KB, 645x308px
Does Sonic the Hedgehog look better than Super Mario World?
>>
>>3313779
They have very different art styles. Both look good.
>>
It's got way better parallax. Mario World has some pretty bland backgrounds.
>>
On a technical level I would say yes. Sonic 1 (and especially 2 and 3) not only had more detailed textures, but also psudo 3D effects like the palm trees in the first world. On an artistic level, they are very different and it gets kind of subjective.
>>
500 replies incoming
>>
The aesthetics support the themes. A finely detailed SMW would look pretty weird.
>>
File: sonic levels.png (115KB, 1324x1392px) Image search: [Google]
sonic levels.png
115KB, 1324x1392px
>>3313779
Yes. The art deco 90s revival aesthetic, the parallax scrolling, the minimalist yet detailed environments - all beautiful even today.
>>
>>3313813

What textures? We're talking about sprites and tiles, not 3D models. As for the pseudo-3D elements such as the palm trees, it's called prerendering. Any console can do this. The graphics designers first render an object in 3D, then convert one particular facing of the object into flat sprites that never change perspective. Donkey Kong was big on prerendered sprites and backgrounds.
>>
>>3313827

>sonic
>art deco

u wot
>>
>>3313827
>art deco
It doesnt mean what you think it means

t.painter
>>
>>3313830
>>3313834
I think he means symmetry
>>
>>3313830
>>3313834
Sonic was heavily art deco influenced in the first game, as well as CD, increasingly less so in the sequels.
The architecture, the typefaces, the geometric abstraction of natural forms, etc. Look at Marble Zone's columns and triglyphs, look at Labyrinth Zone's tile reliefs, look at the artifice of Green Hill's palm trees. All influenced by art deco's interpretation of classicism.
>>
>>3313854

Eh, I don't see it, honestly. It takes more than just abstraction and symmetry to make something art deco.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>3313779
Yes
>>
>>3313881
I literally don't get how someone can't see it. There was a huge deco revival in the late 80s and early 90s, and it's so painfully obvious in some places in the game.
>It takes more than just abstraction and symmetry to make something art deco.
Yes, but it's essentially the geometric abstraction of nature, a counter-movement to art noveau. Everything natural in Sonic looks as if it's artificial. Actually the superimposition of technology onto the organic is perfect for Sonic from a thematic standpoint as well.
>>
>>3313880
>cool
>snes game
Oxymoron.
>>
>>3313779
>>3313779
I think it does, but not 100 times (if you can quantify it). But Mario World is by far the better game. I love to dip my toe into Sonic now and then though, but I can't play it for very long before I get bored and yearn for something with more depth.
>>
>>3313901

I see it more as a product of 80s and 90s pop art aesthetics and digital art than influenced by actual Art Deco.

I mean, you could trace a parallel, since 90s aesthetics are kinda influenced on a very subtle level by Art Deco, but it's a pretty big leap in reasoning to just say "Sonic is Art Deco".
>>
>>3313946
Well I never said Sonic IS art deco, rather it uses an art deco aesthetic in the first few games, which is true. I didn't mean to imply it's like Bioshock or anything. But I think that's the difference - Sonic uses art deco as an influence in its own unique art direction, whereas Bioshock implements it as a backdrop in a very realistic, period-piece sort of way.
>>
>>3313901
>Yes, but it's essentially the geometric abstraction of nature,
that's not what art deco is

it's about humanism, the exaltation of human culture and creativity itself. The forms are only natural in the sense that they are naturally, mathematically balanced geometric forms that create a sense of space which is pleasing to the human mind.

this idea you have of machines into nature is not what it's about

the only parts of Sonic 1 that are convincingly art deco, I'd say, is the very large highly vertical sections I remember from metropolis zone, but I can't think of any other place where that's true
>>
File: 2363710-snescoolspot2-4602.jpg (587KB, 2100x1534px) Image search: [Google]
2363710-snescoolspot2-4602.jpg
587KB, 2100x1534px
>>3313917
hello??
>>
>>3313971
>it's about humanism, the exaltation of human culture and creativity itself.
That's a theme, that's not the design language. Art deco is more than a philosophical movement. It encroached on everything from graphic design to architecture to industrial design to fashion. You are confusing the original art deco movement of the 20s with the many, purely visual revival movements of later decades.
>>
>>3313974
Music is better in the Megadrive version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLiXUOUv7E
>>
>>3313974
Not an exclusive.
>>
>>3313980
>virgin games
huh that makes sense, i always wondered why cool spot felt similar to aladdin
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 320x224px
Better than Mario World!
>>
Sonic is better cause Blast Processing
>>
>>3313779
SMW has mode 7 so it wins.
>>
And? both are kiddy.

Play a real adult game, like Kirby
>>
>>3313779
Mario World is prettier stylistically while Sonic has better graphics techwise.
>>
The bonus levels are beautiful on sonic. I like Mario world better, just seems happier.
>>
Sonic looks way better than Mario World. Coloring errors on the bosses and Yoshi aside, it has a weird mushy fisher price look about it.

Super Mario All Stars on the other hand, everything on that except maybe Mario 2 look a lot better than Sonic.
>>
>>3314283
I love the look of SMB1,2 and 3 on Mario All Stars. Especially Mario 3, everything pops out so nicely. It's like it was meant for the SNES.
>>
>>3314283
>>3314297

I disagree, I think SMW looks really great (although I was still blown away by Sonic 1 when I first played it, it's awesome on its own right, still SMW is a perfectly fine, ageless art direction IMO).

From All-Stars, I thought SMB3 was the one that impressed me the least, I don't like how it's lacking the wierd onion-shaped clouds in some levels that were so characteristic on the original NES game. Among other things. It still looks fine on the remake, but I thought not as good as the original.
However, I thought SMB2 was the one that looked the best, way better than the NES original.
>>
>>3313779
Yes
It makes Mario World look like an 8-bit game by comparison not even close
>>
>>3314318

Nah, the difference between SMB3 and SMW was notable. I remember when I first played SMW at my friend's house, going back to SMB3 on my NES felt shitty.

Still, yes, Sonic 1 is more impressive, but it was also released a year later than SMW, and is significantly shorter.
>>
>>3313987
Definitely
3&K is just in a whole other level
>>
>>3314325
It was released about 8 months later m8
And we're not talking about length we're talking about graphics purely

Mario World looks like a 12-bit game while Sonic 1 looks a true 16-bit game
>>
>>3314338
But Mario World was a SNES launch title, whereas the Megadrive had been out for a while when Sonic came out.
>>
File: smb3.png (54KB, 512x672px) Image search: [Google]
smb3.png
54KB, 512x672px
>>3314297
I dunno, something in SMB3 was lost in the transition to the SMAS art direction. It did away with the sharp contrast, the dark shadows, the simple and distinctive palette.

I really loved how bold and crisp everything felt in the NES version. The SNES port had pleasing colors, but everything felt too smoothed out and overdecorated.
>>
I wonder if Pat the NES punk (pat contri) will do a guidebook for the super nintendo or sega genesis/megadrive. His NES guidebook is amazing...
>>
>>3314402
I prefer All Stars.
>>
>>3314402

The only thing of value lost the transition to All Stars was the original sound effects.

Fuck the Super Mario World SFX.
>>
File: 2.png (22KB, 512x240px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
22KB, 512x240px
SMB2 Mario: sleeps in the dark like a normal adult
SMAS Mario: sleeps with a night-light like a total puss
>>
Both look good, I think Sonic 1 visuals are a little better though. I've never liked the cartoony look of SMW as much as the others. As others have suggested I also think that the SMAS graphics look best of all.
>>
SMW: launch title, pretty much a test of the Super Nintendo capabilities, 1990
Sonic: game launched 2 years after the Genesis original launch, 1991

gee i wonder why it looks better
>>
>>3314580
It has nothing to do with technical capabilities and everything to do with art direction.
>>
>>3314584

yeah, thats why pretty much all the games with the best graphics in pretty much every retro system were all made in the end of the lifespam of the console
>>
>>3314589
Except SMW looks the way it does because they chose to depict it that way. The cartoony look doesn't even match previous Mario games, can't blame that on not knowing the hardware yet.
>>
Sonic looks better than Super Mario World, but Super Mario World is better than Sonic 1. Sonic got good with 2, 3, knuckles and CD, 1 is only a decent 7/10 game.
>>
File: s2-cnz-summaryimg.png (4KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
s2-cnz-summaryimg.png
4KB, 320x224px
deco, futurist, retro-futurism, Googie Americana kitsch, post-modernism to name a few styles that could be applied to Sonic.
The first 2 titles are oozing with style and Mario can't hold a candle to that variety teebeeaitch
>>
>>3313827
You stupid fuck. Literally nothing about that is art deco.
>>
>>3314834
You're a moron. It's been discussed to death.
>>
>>3314837
No it hasn't. How are a tropical island, temple ruins, scifi space base art deco again?
>>
>>3314402
I know what you mean about Bold and Crisp, but the levels and music just feel so much better in All Stars. I love Mario 3, I would never hesitate to play the NES version, and if someone asked which version to play I'd play the NES version over Mario All Stars. But you gotta admit, All Stars did a damn good job on it. It's a nice update (that's all it is)
>>
>>3314782
>Googie Americana kitsch
>teebeeaitch
Feel free to post never again
>>
File: s3nkkeend3.gif (10KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
s3nkkeend3.gif
10KB, 320x224px
maybe not sonic 1, but the rest definitely do
too bad sonic's gameplay is shitty
>>
>>3314849
The art direction is influenced by deco revival. That has nothing to do with the settings. Are you being serious?
>>
>>3314857
Show me something that is influenced by art deco.
>>
>>3314850
I agree, I mean All Stars looks really nice in general, way better than the style they gave SMW. I just wish it kept that pop the original had. Isn't SMB3 supposed to be referencing a stage? I feel like that's not quite so obvious in the SMAS version.
>>
>>3314864
Read the thread.
>>
File: s1-syz-appearanceimg1.png (6KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
s1-syz-appearanceimg1.png
6KB, 320x224px
>>3314853
Can't keep up with the conversation lad?
>>
>>3313779
Yes, Sonic is pleasing to look at

Mario World's visuals simply get the point across
>>
Do these textures look familiar?
>>
>>3314919
Yes.

I can agree with the guy in the thread who's saying Sonic took a page from Art Deco, to an extent anyway.
>>
>>3313779
No, it doesn't, Shane.
>>
>>3315052
yes it does, johntv
>>
File: smwyi4.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
smwyi4.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>3314919

Yeah
>>
File: 1460543124773.jpg (368KB, 1000x1409px) Image search: [Google]
1460543124773.jpg
368KB, 1000x1409px
>>3313827
>“Green Hill Zone was inspired by California,” Naka answers simply. “Also we were aiming to show the latest computer graphics at that time, which were using polygon and ray tracing, through pixel art to make it look very new. With regards to the colours, I believe they were inspired by a picture drawn by Eizin Suzuki.”

You are very wrong on this
>>
>>3313829
>What textures? We're talking about sprites and tiles, not 3D models
Textures do not require 3D models. In the context of tile + sprite engines the char data can be called texture

>it's called prerendering
and it wasn't done in super mario, simple as that
>>
File: nagai.jpg (57KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
nagai.jpg
57KB, 500x433px
>>3315190
>Eizin Suzuki
Love that guy. Hiroshi Nagai, too. Do you know any similar artists?
>>
>>3315190
>You are very wrong on this
sometimes the world is not black and white
>>
>>3315190
Very wrong on what? On saying Sonic had a big deco influence in its art direction?
And you're attempting to disprove what's staring you in the face with a quote about California being the inspired setting?
>>
>>3315209
a quote about the inspiration for the setting AND the colors. Take that!
>>
File: suzuki8.jpg (71KB, 321x600px) Image search: [Google]
suzuki8.jpg
71KB, 321x600px
>>3315209
Not him, but the quote says the art was inspired by Eizin Suzuki, who does not use the art deco style.
>>
>>3315216
>the quote says the art was inspired by Eizin Suzuki
>With regards to the colours, I believe they were inspired by a picture drawn by Eizin Suzuki
want to try again?
>>
File: UV07.jpg (169KB, 410x600px) Image search: [Google]
UV07.jpg
169KB, 410x600px
>>3315206
Those are literally the 2 artists with that style that I know of.

>>3315209
Anon I can understand the argument as a speculative nature, it can easily be possible it was their inspiration, but correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that as a de facto reality that the devs came out saying it was their actual inspiration, when if anything all we have to go by is Eizin Suzuki as far as I know and mimicking polygonal art into pixel.

Acting as the devil's advocate though you can easily propose the argument that the tile-based nature of level design can easily be conflated with art deco, when in fact it's just the limitations of what the engine proposes.

Again, I don't oppose necessarily that i can be art deco, but there's no reason to propose it as de facto.
>>
>>3315221
>all we have to go by is Eizin Suzuki as far as I know
for the colors, indeed. That's about all the devs said. The rest is just your imagination.

>the tile-based nature of level design can easily be conflated with art deco, when in fact it's just the limitations of what the engine proposes.
look at the pics of green hill zone and tell me the regular patterns on the "dirt" are a tile limitation, I dare you
>>
>>3315227
Again Anon, I don't oppose the theory, it's obviously tiles that try to be more abstract than literal. Most games would just mimic a patch of dirt instead of going on abstract symbols (though in the context of this thread Super Mario World does it as well), the only issue I have with the claim is presenting it as absolutely factual, it could just as easily be just a product of other influences.

At least we can all agree it looks beautiful.
>>
>>3315216
>something can only be inspired by one thing at a time
>>3315221
They came out and flat out said it, but it isn't really necessary anyway. For example, Naka wouldn't need to tell us that Sonic's gloves are based on classic cartoon characters wearing them, because it's already understood and ingrained in the social consciousness. Anyone who knows how art deco design looks, especially in its revival periods, would be able to see the inspiration.

Also I wouldn't say it has much to do with the tile limit because once we get to Sonic 2 its aesthetic evidently lost most of its deco characteristics, though the title card fonts in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 are unapologetically art deco. In all honesty the artists probably chose to make use of the style because it was cool at the time and totally different from what Mario was doing.
>>
>>3315216
>not use the art deco style.

That fucking picture features a portrayal of ART DECO ARCHITECTURE
Those fucking cars are ART FUCKING DECO in their design
>>
>>3315234
>the only issue I have with the claim is presenting it as absolutely factual
it's an observation, not more, not less

>At least we can all agree
fuck off, memeshitter
>>
>>3315238
*They didn't come and flat out said it
whoops
>>
File: 1372545858338.gif (335KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1372545858338.gif
335KB, 500x364px
>>3315240
Fuck you too Anon, fuck you too
>>
>>3315238
>though the title card fonts in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 are unapologetically art deco
There you have a strong point way harder to dispute, but yeah in those games it lost most of the title aesthetic, though in mushroom hill in S&K it's still there alright, though they were probably trying to make comparisons with Green Hill Zone more than anything.
>>
>>3315234
By the 16 bit era, depicting realistic columns, trees, earth, etc was not a problem at all. Many games did it, but Sonic 1 chose not to.
There would be no problem rendering a proper classical Greek temple in Marble Zone, yet they chose to geometrically abstract it to the point of resembling Greco Deco.
>>
>>3315239
Not to derail this thread but that's way closer to modern architecture (not modern as in new, but modern as in bauhaus modernism)
>>
>>3315259
Bauhaus and Art Deco are roughly from the same period, if anything, Art Deco is a hint more modern
>>
>>3315260
Yeah, but roughly what sets them apart is the ornamental nature, which modernism almost rejects on principle.

VIDEO GAMES
>>
>>3313779
lmao no.
>>
>>3315264
yeah, and notice how the pic you commented on has quite a bit of decoration on the windows, and that stylish sign. I don't think Bauhaus would waste energy on that stuff

I think that drawing/painting style would have been perfect for an OutRun spin-off
>>
File: .png (121KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
.png
121KB, 680x497px
>>3315272
>I think that drawing/painting style would have been perfect for an OutRun spin-off

Don't even get me started on that
>>
File: deco zone act 1.jpg (326KB, 844x982px) Image search: [Google]
deco zone act 1.jpg
326KB, 844x982px
I don't even know how much more obvious it has to be.
I feel like I'm being rused at this point.
>>
>>3315275
AND that's just for fucking Marble Zone.
I'll be assed to waste another 90000000 hours in MS Paint to prove another obvious point for each zone.
Fuck you glaucoma victims ITT.
>>
>>3315275
DELETE THIS
>>
>>3313779
And yet SMW is still a 100x better game.
>>
>>3315317
if only we'd talk about game quality in this thread
>>
>>3315320
no thank you
>>
>>3314782
What a terrible shame the gameplay consists solely of holding right and occasionally down, then...
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4065x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4065x1024px
>>3315367
Look mom I posted it again XD
>>
>>3315414
I can never tell if these are posted to praise Sonic's level design or shit on it
>>
>>3315423
The point is that it's not "hold right to win", memebabby.
>>
>>3315427
the point is that these pics are perfect examples how complex the level design is. They're also perfect examples how convoluted the level design is
>>
>>3313779
If we're going on pure aesthetics I'd personally say that Sonic looks much better than SMW, yes.

SMW always looked way too simplistic, and I don't really mean that in a positive way.
>>
>>3314024
SMW didn't use Mode 7 for much besides bosses stretching and changing size, right? I can't recall it ever being used on anything else.
>>
>>3315463
What about that tilting platform used on 2 bosses (that you had to knock the boss off)?
>>
>>3315471
Ah, that thing. I forgot about that. That's probably using Mode 7, yeah. Thanks.
>>
>>3313813
I'm going to have to agree with this post.
>>
>>3315480
no, you don't, anon! There's always a way out. You can attack it on a technicality, or do an ad hominem, or just move the goalposts. Don't give up!
>>
>>3313813
>but also psudo 3D effects like the palm trees in the first world
Not really an effect, just a sprite of something polygonal. Looks good though, but a better example is surely the background in the Special Stage? You know, the fish that morphs into other things (I forget).

I used to think it was actual 3D as a kid. Regardless, it does look ace.
>>
>>3313986
David Perry worked on both.
>>
>>3313779
Yes. Not 100 times though. It's a bit better.

Didn't even own a Sega console and I can admit this.
>>
>>3315687
>Didn't even own a Sega console
How fucked up is this board if you must preface your opinion with a statement like that?

>I can admit this
How fucked up is this board if you "can admit" something, instead of just agreeing with a position?

fucking console wars are everywhere
>>
>>3315704
Hey, it's only a matter of time until it happens.
>>
>>3315709
until what happens? That whole comment was only worded like that because of the console wars. People are fucking censoring themselves because of it
>>
>>3315718
A console war.
>>
>>3315719
>A console war.
>That whole comment was only worded like that because of the console wars
we're in one, or that comment wouldn't exist
>>
>>3315725
Depending on how you look at it, I guess. But whether we are or not, we're about to be the second someone else posts.
>>
>>3315730
OP was bait. You know that, right?
>>
>>3315735
It still resulted in a fun topic. Nothing wrong with letting people talk.
>>
>>3315741
I fully agree with you. Good thread so far. Just making sure you're not under some illusion that we're somehow cloaking below visibility for the console wars. OP was specifically baiting them. People only knew better than to fall for it, and managed and actual exchange. That's why I jumped on >>3315687 so badly. They were tiptoeing around, and it just shouldn't be necessary. Console war idiots will always be around, and gaming fans can just appreciate the topic and talk about it.
>>
The thread is mostly not baited
good work everyone
>>
>>3315275
that's not art deco tho
>>
>>3314782
This is the most convincingly "art deco" sonic screenshot I've seen itt

Metropolis zone has too much abstract asymmetry and the colors are way off
>>
>>3315772
The Art Deco argument mostly just applies to Sonic 1 though, with some exceptions. Maybe Sonic CD as well.
Still I think it's just some elements.
>>
>>3315779
>Still I think it's just some elements.
as opposed to what?
>>
>>3315783
Was just being specific Anon, ease your follow up that I sense coming.

I'm not saying every element has to follow a specific style for the overall package to be excluded from that style.
>>
>>3315794
>ease your follow up that I sense coming
You know why though, right? I am kind of under the impression that half the agreement/disagreement on this thread revolves around what you're hinting at
>>
>>3315798
It's just 4chins' par for the course. For the most part the thread went pretty well, considering it's essentially a subtle console wars bait (a hot topic that will only die down when we're all in the grave).
>>
>>3315806
Also, our tendency to read entirely in black and white.

Say, anon says "something looks art deco", and intends it to mean that it strongly resembles the look in parts and these looks may or may not have been directly inspired by art deco

Someone else reads that and understands it to mean, clearly the entire project from the ground up was entirely based on the philosophical and artistic concepts of art deco, down to the choice of a hedgehog as playable character. Naturally, art deco does not require playable hedgehogs, so that anon is going to turn around and disagree with the other one, and call them names as a bonus

The first anon ends up clearly confused how the second anon can not see the resemblance, and in turn calls them a blind poop head. From there on it's a meme spiral of insults, with plenty of brand loyality thrown in just because.
>>
>sonic is better because of art deco and pseudo-3d effects
Almost been 30 years, and this is the best argument?
>>
File: smw_rc.png (46KB, 217x191px) Image search: [Google]
smw_rc.png
46KB, 217x191px
I really like the art direction on SMW, I think it has my favorite Mario sprite design, and I love the humor.
>>
>>3315806
>it's essentially a subtle console wars bait

God forbid we actually discuss aesthetic choices in retro video games.
>>
>>3315815
How dare you holding claims that aren't universal.
I'll have no nuance in my shitposting
>>
>>3313779
It doesn't matter, both have their appeal and are different art styles anyway.
>>
>>3315846
Ease your autism, I'm not saying it's not a valid topic.
It's a valid discussion to have regardless of OP's slippery intentions, which is how most successful threads go actually. Gotta light that fire.
>>
>>3315857
>Gotta light that fire
no, you really don't. Clickbait is insulting. It's sadly almost all we get around here
>>
>>3315868
Hey, whatever works, it's a slow board.

Try getting a well and thought out opening post with a reasonable and balanced opinnion and see how far that gets you. You'll be racing to the 10th page in no time. I don't like it either, but that's just how things work and I'm tired of rebelling about it.
>>
>>3315876
>whatever works
problem is, it doesn't.

>it's a slow board
you're /v/ermin? The board has a good pace. Couple days for an exchange are fine.

>Try getting
I did, and will again. Reason these threads drop so quickly is that the clickbait is exhausting and numbing. If all you're exposed to is constant emotional attacks, the normal posts don't even register. One more reason to not react to them.

>I don't like it either
You only have yourself to blame, for encouraging bait, and posting bait

>I'm tired of rebelling about it
No need to rebel. Just make good posts, and don't respond to bait. Also helps to filter bait memes
>>
File: urbana-art-deco-theatre.jpg (193KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
urbana-art-deco-theatre.jpg
193KB, 800x609px
>>3315815
Great post

>>3315772
As the poster of that pic it was more as a representation of the obvious "western" influence the designers had. Not so much art deco but post-modern americana influence.
Sonic was obviously styled to appeal to the USA and western audiences, it takes in so much influence from 20th century American design it's ridiculous.
From Walt Disney to MC fucking Escher it's a cavalcade of western design influence.
>>
>>3315889
>problem is, it doesn't.
Oh don't be silly, shit flinging brings in the mobs with the pitchforks, saying it works is not a recommendation, just an acknowledgement of a reality. I mean, even you conceded the point "It's sadly almost all we get around here". It's a balancing act though, if the bait is too obvious usually this board doesn't take the bait, other boards get it worse, so we're not that bad off.

>The board has a good pace. Couple days for an exchange are fine.
Not saying otherwise, again, just acknowledging it. If it didn't like the board I wouldn't be here.

> for encouraging bait, and posting bait
That's a weird assumption, where are you getting that I post bait? Or even encouraging it? I'm not saying you should post bait, just saying that's what people usually respond to, just an observation.

>No need to rebel. Just make good posts
Which I like to think I do. In fact all the threads I make are just dumping data, I don't even inject my opinions on the opening posts, I just dump news and shit like it. I usually post new fan translations and romhacks that appear. But again, I know for sure if I started the thread by posting bait and riling up faggotry the threads would last longer, so it's easy to understand why it's irresistible for Anons to do it. Hell I have observed it numerous times, sometimes I see someone making a similar thread that I made before but with added bait and it gets way more attention. And again that's not a recommendation, just an observation. I'm too boring to actually bait, not really my posting style, I just like getting into needlessly verbose arguments about really minutious disagreements.

We're getting really off topic here Anon, so how about those chili dogs.
>>
>>3315936
>how about those chili dogs
I'm confused, are there dogs in Sonic or Mario? I suppose Sonic might have some among the freed animals
>>
File: Sonic_chili_dog.jpg (52KB, 707x563px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_chili_dog.jpg
52KB, 707x563px
>>3315943
Well not really, but it's sort of a in-joke inside the Sonic Universe. it's just a jab at that weird Sonic 90's Cartoon, for some reason they made it a character trait that for some reason Sonic is obsessed over chili dogs in the show, almost like how Scooby Doo was obsessed with scooby snacks, but to a lesser extent.

Referencing the bizarre nature of that decision is almost a joke in of itself.

Here have some autism about it:
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chili_dog
>>
>>3315843
It probably has my favorite music of any Mario game, at least
>>
>>3313779
It's a fact that Super mario World was really rushed though. That's why Romhacks look even better.

He should remember that Yoshi's island was released as it's direct successor for a reason.
>>
>>3314402
Aren't the physics fucked in all the All-Star versions.
>>
>>3315952
Only if you're a speedrunner or something. Yes they are different, but it hardly matters if you don't take the games that seriously. Either way I still prefer the original aesthetics.
>>
>>3315948
You gotta admit, chili dogs are both delicious and a compact, high in protein form of calories, pretty appropriate for an anthropomorphic hedgoehog with a super fast metabolism.
>>
>>3315952
>fucked
>All-Star versions
Peach looked fantastic in the tv ad
>>
>>3315952

Pretty sure it's just the SMB1 and TLL physics.

For whatever reason, big Mario is actually pulled up by blocks instead of being bounced down immediately when he breaks them.

There's a patch for that if you emulate.
>>
>>3315427
That's an old meme. Now it's just "DUHH YOU CAN'T HOLD RIGHT TO WIN THIS GAME SUCKS".
>>
>>3315704
Just demonstrating that, if anything, I ought to have an agenda to defend the SNES and rubbish the Megadrive, yet I'm doing the opposite because I'm not some fanboy.
>>
>>3316182
>I ought to have an agenda to defend the SNES
seriously? That's your thought process? Do you not see anything wrong with this? And if you do, why humor people thinking that way with a post aimed at them?
>>
>>3316193
If worship is the mark of ignorance, then iconoclasm is the mark of futility. You can only overcome the old ideas by rewriting over top of them with something new, its the surest way to erase their flaws. If you try to cast them down or hang a lampshade on their absurdity, their proponents will simply cling ever the more fiercely to them.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (14KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
14KB, 400x268px
>>3316201
>load of booklearning words
Wha mate?!
>>
>>3315843
what humor?
>>
>>3317467

In the screenshot he posted, Mario plants a bomb on the castle, nothing happens, then he gets close to see what happens and the castle blows up on his head, leaving him like that, looney tunes-style.
>>
>>3317467
Clowns are funny.
>>
File: 1438472538804.gif (293KB, 450x200px) Image search: [Google]
1438472538804.gif
293KB, 450x200px
>>3316204
>tfw people are never going to stop saying this to me
>>
File: bandage.png (16KB, 110x78px) Image search: [Google]
bandage.png
16KB, 110x78px
>>3315843
>>3317467
>>3317474

i liked when the castle hit the hill and it got a band aid

theres not really much humor in the early sonic games. though knuckles chuckles a lot
>>
>>3313779
>Sonic 1 is aesthetically better than SMW

Was this really ever a debate? It's Sonic by a mile.
>>
>>3318934
Stop talking like a douche then.
>>
>>3319091
>start talking like a normalfag
No, I just can't. Those are the correct, most efficiently exact and descriptive words.
>>
Shane Bettenhausen is such a Sony faggot.
>>
>>3319103
Maybe you should be more pragmatic and accept that it's not very efficient if people don't know what you mean - the purpose being communication and all...
>>
sonic is a better looking game but i'd rather actually play super mario world.
>>
>>3314402
It always bothered me that every airship level in SMAS was the same color.
>>
>>3319103
Do you identify with a character called Mojo Jojo by any chance?
>>
It makes more of an impression because the levels are much more distinct from eachother
>>
>>3320785

A problem that went on to affect the series on a game to game basis instead of just being contained to one game.
>>
>>3315423

Wouldn't it better if you could just hold down right and win?
>>
>>3319195
Well no, he's got something to prove. I don't need anything to be proven, I just want to remake the world in the shape of my ideals. I don't really care what others think about me.
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.