[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Running old PC games without giving AI an edge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: amuletsandarmor_resized.png (319KB, 600x376px) Image search: [Google]
amuletsandarmor_resized.png
319KB, 600x376px
I've noticed in some strategy games especially, that when playing with dosbox (or without), the games AI becomes kinda hard?? It's as if it's benefiting from the extra CPU power of modern CPU. Some games I've noticed Death Rally (especially on hardest difficulty), Dungeon Keeper 1 (last mission) and Fragile Allegiance.

Is there some workaround for this, so the AI wouldn't gain extra actions/extra calculations?

Picture unrelated
>>
>>3313158
In DOSBox I guess you could throttle the emulation (with CTRL-F11 and CTRL-F12) and see if that makes a difference
>>
>>3313158
>It's as if it's benefiting from the extra CPU power of modern CPU

Anon

You do know that video game AIs aren't literally AIs right

They don't get "smarter" if they're on better machines, they behave the same way in any machine you run the game.
>>
File: existence is absurd.jpg (10KB, 262x270px) Image search: [Google]
existence is absurd.jpg
10KB, 262x270px
>>
File: 1389913133039.gif (566KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1389913133039.gif
566KB, 300x300px
Anon... I- what. No. That isn't how it works.
>>
>>3313158
>I've noticed in some strategy games especially, that when playing with dosbox (or without), the games AI becomes kinda hard
>Is there some workaround for this, so the AI wouldn't gain extra actions/extra calculations?
OP, listen up for a second.
the "AI" runs a set of scripted routines and instructions, it doesn't get magically smarter or hax if you have MOAR RAM or something, the routines are the same, the only thing that might change with a better PC is making the game run more smoothly in some cases.
>>
>>3313190
That's what the AIs want you to think.
>>
So how do I prevent it from happening? Do I try to limit the ammount of cores running the game or dosbox? This is certainly happening, because I don't remember having troubles with some of the games where this is happening now.
>>
>>3313329
That's because you're an old rusty fucker now.
>>
>>3313246
It might be that in some games, the AI's script runs based on clock speed while the rest of the game doesn't. So the AI checks conditions much more regularly and quickly, and is therefore able to respond to things quicker.

I don't know if any games are actually like that.
>>
>>3313246
>>3313358
The AI could also be performing some form of repeating estimation and is forced to simply accept the best choice after a certain amount of real time. Improved calculation speed would certainly help with this.
But aren't most games frame-limited anyway? Pretty sure dosbox is.
>>
>>3313352
but i'm turning 25 this year
>>
>>3313401
Exactly.
>>
>>3313358
>It might be that in some games, the AI's script runs based on clock speed while the rest of the game doesn't.
Never heard about games working as such though, I might be wrong of course.
>>3313386
>But aren't most games frame-limited anyway
This.
>>
>>3313190
>>3313246
No need to be condescending here, but tell me please, could this be a sort of electronic placebo? Game sees more RAM than it thinks is even possible and boosts processing speed, which makes it possible for it to calculate more moves ahead?

I'm just not that great at strategies.
>>
>>3313425
No
>>
File: git gud fgt.jpg (56KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
git gud fgt.jpg
56KB, 500x312px
>dis game 2 hard pls nerf
>>
>>3313425
There's a game called something like "The thirteenth guest" (my googlefu is failing me) where one of the puzzles is kind of like Go, in that you try to occupy more space than your opponent, but you can only move one or two spaces from your previous position. It is now unbeatable on the highest difficulty because the AI was given a set amount of time to calculate the optimal move. With modern hardware this results in it playing a perfect game. It's on the old Let's Play archive if that site still exists.
>>
>>3313739
Unbeatable for plebs. We call that big boy difficulty.
>>
>>3313425
The programme doesn't see ram. It reads and writes data to addresses. The os is responsible for keeping those addresses in ram rather than disk so that it runs smooth/fast. This is called memory management.
>>
>>3313758
Maybe so, but then I guarantee you that ram sees the program.
>>
>>3313782
RAM doesn't "see" anything. It's a storage medium.
>>
>>3313739
Seventh Guest?

That is quite an interesting story though.
>>
$10 says all these 'git gud' /v/edditors are super save-scummers.

Get fucked.
>>
>>3314036
What's wrong with not replaying moments you honestly beat?
>>
>>3314057
Because the challenge presented is not "beat this frame", it's "beat this level". Or in the case of games with limited resources and per-level saves/checkpoints, "beat this level with enough resources remaining to beat the rest". Or for most shoot-em-ups it's just straight "beat this game".
By treating the challenge as non-atomic and creating arbitrary subdivisions in time that you decide to be external-utility checkpoints, you compromise the original flow and progress pattern of the game. In a game without saves, the only time you "honestly beat" any moment of it is when you beat the game.
>>
>>3313386
>The AI could also be performing some form of repeating estimation and is forced to simply accept the best choice after a certain amount of real time. Improved calculation speed would certainly help with this.
This is correct. Chess and Go AIs for example do evaluations of positions and play when they've either evaluated a position as good, or they've run out of processing time so they pick the best move they've already estimated.
>>
>>3313158

>>3313329
>because I don't remember having troubles

so that's your entire basis for making this allegation? c'mon now son

sure a late 90's chess algorithm could benetif from more Hz,

lets say you took deepblue's routines and had it decide on a move in no longer than 10 seconds in real life, and lets say its algorithm was adaptible enough;

and back in 1996 it could not fill the RAM in 10 seconds and its architechture allows for even more RAM now that you're emulating deepblue, your desktop computer is now 4x faster than deepblue, so yes it will play a litle better

but, that's not really how it works in the case of non-board and non-turnbased videogames with gagilions of possibilities and pseudo random numbers being generated constantly... that is.. if videogames AI where even programmed in an analogous manner to board games AI, which they most likely are not 99.99999999%
>>
>>3314057
Hard to believe anyone could be this dumb.
>>
>>3316909
One could say the same about your autism.
>>
>>3313739
>>3313752
No, it really is unbeatable. The only way to get around that part is to cheat.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.