[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fan Ports, Remakes, and Upgrades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: TUM.png (805KB, 1026x795px) Image search: [Google]
TUM.png
805KB, 1026x795px
I have a love for fanmade remakes of old PC games, as well as things that "upgrade" those games.

Some examples of remakes:
>Freeciv
>OpenTTD
>Ur-Quan Masters

And then there are things like Exult, which lets you play Ultima VII on Windows without an emulator, gives you lots of options and a few bugfixes, and so on.

Are there any others you can think of that are worth picking up? There's something about the combination of old school games and so-called "modern convenience" that I absolutely love.

Anyway, let's discuss.
>>
FreeOrion and lincity would both count, right?
>>
There's also the Streets of Rage Remake on PC too. I think they got C&D'ed, but you can find copies of it floating around.
>>
I'm not sure if it counts as a fan remake since I believe the project involved one or more of the original developers, but there was a remake of Star Soldier for Windows entitled SoldierForce. It's freeware, but the official site is no longer around, so you'll have to track it down somewhere else.

There's also an open-source implementation of the Arx Fatalis engine called Arx Libertatis. I believe the intention was to address some of the game's unpatched bugs, as well as to provide cross-platform support.

As for upgrades, the Ultima upgrade patches come to mind: http://exodus.voyd.net/ultima3.html

Hope that was helpful.
>>
Daggerfall Tools for Unity
>>
OpenXCOM

which is good by itself but there's this mod called xpiratez that I really recommend if you want a new experience.
>>
File: mycon.gif (61KB, 485x213px) Image search: [Google]
mycon.gif
61KB, 485x213px
Freaking love this game, and the Mycon's way of terraforming worlds into lava worlds.
>>
> GlDoom and all the other Doom source ports
> EDuke32 (Duke Nukem 3D)
> Nuvie (Ultima 6 & Worlds of Ultima)
> xu4 (Ultima 4)
> OpenTyrian
> SCUMMVM
>>
Freespace SCP, Descent Rebirth
>>
The nameless is a remake of exile.
https://archive.org/details/The_Nameless_game

The developer also made other remakes, eg of some Bruce Lee game.
>>
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 has OpenRCT now, it's coming along nicely

There's also the XL engine, but Lucius is more likely to get hit by a bus before he finishes the damn thing
>>
I'll just leave this here:
http://osgameclones.com/
>>
Quint's Revenge is pretty damn sweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHn3WpzQ8yI
Must have for a Mega Man fan.
>>
File: 1306701131001.jpg (100KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1306701131001.jpg
100KB, 418x455px
>>3308124

>tutorial level

A game cannot be more intuitive than Megaman. Seems a pretty good title though
>>
Abbey of Crime is free on steam if that counts?
>>
>>3308124

Jesus, a majority of that tutorial explanation could be accomplished without text and some solid level design.
>>
They did do a remake ( if you can call it that) of vigilante 8 but unfortunately it's only for the xbox.
>>
openRA
>>
>>3306131
>I think they got C&D'ed,
Yeah, that was literally like 2-3 days right after releasing the final version of it.

Thankfully I downloaded it straight away. Brilliant fucking remake and it's no wonder it took them 6 years to finish it, it's superbly well done.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.