[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some retro games that use the same engine? I know DQ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Same engine.png (29KB, 512x463px) Image search: [Google]
Same engine.png
29KB, 512x463px
What are some retro games that use the same engine? I know DQ I-IV on the NES pretty much run on the same engine. Pic related are pretty well known examples of reused engines.
>>
Power Rangers Fighting Edition and Gundam Wing Endless Duel
>>
Did games really have 'engines' back then?
>>
>>3305034
yes. Stuff like map metadata, collision handling, loading strategies can be reused
>>
Game engines didn't exist back then. People just programed a game and then reused some of it's code for other games.
>>
>>3305034

Writing a new game in ASM (which is what retro developers had to work with) from the ground up in a shitload of work due to how precise the code has to be. You're feeding the CPU instructions on the barest level, so an operation as simple as putting a sprite on the screen required tons more code than a non-ASM language that might have more convenience-based features.

In a nutshell, ASM is like trying to design a game by rubbing sticks and stones together. So it wasn't uncommon for developers to recycle every scrap of code they could, if only for the sake of their own sanity.

Now developers can use more friendly languages like C++, and existing game engines are already ported to a number of platforms, which makes the fundamentals much less of a headache. Without using an existing engine, you'll first have to code routines just to do the most basic things, like display graphics and manage physics.
>>
>>3305072
have you coded in asm for a platform of that time?
>>
>>3305078

In a way. I've written ASM programs and games for similar processors. Some early console CPUs are slightly modified versions of those processor lines and / or have the convenience of accompanying graphics and sound chips. It's otherwise the same ordeal.
>>
>>3305098
asking because
>ASM is like trying to design a game by rubbing sticks and stones together
looks completely alien to me. I love to code in ASM, knowing that everything I tell the computer happens directly, no compiler is second guessing me. And the target platform is so stupidly simple, it's like you don't even want a more complicated tool, it only would get in the way.

Also,
>how precise the code has to be
I don't understand at all. Programming's always a zero tolerance job. The language does not change that.

And last but not least,
>an operation as simple as putting a sprite on the screen required tons more code than a non-ASM language
seems odd to me as well, because platforms like the NES were almost bliss in terms of coding their sprites and backdrops. The hardware was specifically made for that. A handful of bytes and you got something scrolling on screen. Would take a screen or two of ASM on DOS mode 13h
>>
mario and mario 2
>>
>>3305106

Then I commemorate you for being one hell of a programmer or having ungodly levels of sanity. When I said "precise," I meant botch one little detail and you may spend the next several weeks wading through turgid blobs of ASM trying to debug the problem. And when you do find the problem, you may end up having to rewrite every underlying routine that depends on whatever line(s) of interdependent code that you change.
>>
I have no idea if they have the same engine or not but Magical Doropie looks and plays exactly like an NES Mega Man game.
>>
>>3305106
>Programming's always a zero tolerance job
Modern meme languages have super syntax highlighting, automatic garbage collection, retard-proof code completion, super specific complier warnings and abstraction up the ass.

I mean you're still right - it's still a zero tolerance job, but these days it's really hard to fuck up and even if you do, you'll get plenty of help on how to fix it.
>>
File: nes_swampthing.jpg (3MB, 1534x2100px)
nes_swampthing.jpg
3MB, 1534x2100px
>>3305020

Swamp Thing on NES uses the same engine as Bart vs The Space Mutants and Bart vs The World.

also Darkwing Duck uses Mega Man 5 engine.
>>
File: NES_Super_Mario_Bros.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
NES_Super_Mario_Bros.png
3KB, 256x224px
>>3305072
>>3305106
This shit fascinates me, I have no understanding of it but I appreciate the work that goes into it.

Regarding sprites, I've always wondered how they were made with no additional software to work with. The actual process of getting to this screen with nothing but a NES and (I assume) a keyboard/display/etc boggles my mind. And the text on screen, would you type the equivalent of a word in assembly and it's placement to draw and place it on screen or is the font made up of individual "portions" like fonts on the PS1/N64?
>>
Links Awakening used the engine from Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru/For Frog the Bell Tolls
>>
>>3305901
same team too of course
>>
>>3305034
Yes.
>>
File: 240297_3.jpg (14KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
240297_3.jpg
14KB, 800x600px
I've always had this suspicion that just like Rambo/Zelda 2, Transformers was using a modified SMB1 engine.
>>
>>3305020
Nightshade for the NES and Shadowrun for the SNES use the same, although heavily updated, engine. I'm not quite sure how considering the two are so different from each other.
>>
>>3305952
You're not the only one who thought that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg72KamOZds
>>
>>3305989
They were both by Beam Software.
>>
>>3305880
you do get help in form of custom tools. The graphics were not entered with a keyboard. As for the text, you could type the equivalent and it would show up on the screen, at least after some upfront work (which you do exactly once). The font is still made of individual tiles for each letter, but they're in a lookup table, mapping regular ascii text into these tiles. Things only get interesting when you attempt proportional font, that won't stick to the grid
>>
How about Zelda II and The Battle of Olympus?
>>
Actual explanations of how games where made back then. Engines may not have been possible but it was essentially the same process without encapsulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU
>>
Shantae was based on a snes sport game engine.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.