[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOLY FUCK Why is this games interface so terrible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: system shock enhanced.jpg (53KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
system shock enhanced.jpg
53KB, 460x215px
HOLY FUCK

Why is this games interface so terrible?
>>
Early full-3D before everyone knew what they were doing. Before this there was Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 I think, other than that I can't think of any other full 3D FPS type games before this. Quake, Unreal, Duke3D, those all came out two years later or longer. Heretic is close, it came out the same year, but it was more of a direct FPS than FPS/RPG hybrid.
>>
Because back in the day good interfaces were not discovered yet.
>>
>>3304640
keep it to one thread faggot >>3300325
>>
>>3304640
>Why is this games interface so terrible?
didn't have a problem with it and i played it the first time last year

try gitting gud?
>>
>>3304640
Just use fullscreen mode.
>>
File: MFW.png (241KB, 329x321px) Image search: [Google]
MFW.png
241KB, 329x321px
>>3305120
>lol git gud
>>
>>3304640
It's not that bad it's just different which can throw you off the first time you play it.
>>
>>3304748
what's a "full-3D" fps to you? duke and heretic use raycasters, none of the games have roll and only some have crude jumping. two years before the duke was Descent (same year as system shock). Is that "full-3D"?
>>
>>3306379
I was just referring to the fact System Shock operated in 3D, whereas Wolf3D and even Doom were a faked 3D. And I was also referring to FPS as in the traditional guy-with-a-gun style gameplay, whereas Descent is more of a space shooter. The big difference I see is that Descent involves traveling in all directions, whereas FPS are more walking/running around levels. The travel in all direction style of gameplay had already been established, Wing Commander was built on it and that came out in what, 91? But FPS games with the ability to jump and the need to aim up or down weren't the norm yet.
>>
>>3306405
>whereas Wolf3D and even Doom were a faked 3D
just as real as all the rest, just using a few approximations. Also, Duke falls in the same category

>The big difference I see is that Descent involves traveling in all directions, whereas FPS are more walking/running around levels
Yeah, Descent has more movement options than an FPS, yet it has a sane controls configuration

>The travel in all direction style of gameplay had already been established, Wing Commander was built on it
Wing Commander is closer to a flight simulator, with a constant forward motion and primarily changing the yaw and pitch angles, making it closer to 2D controls. I deliberately left flight sims out because of that, or you could go back to SubLogic's Flight Simulator from 1980. Descent meanwhile exhibits FPS controls, with the player character standing still by default, motion happening on button presses (ignore the thrust levels, nobody used that anyway), and a shitload of freedoms of movement. Vertical movement ("jump" and "crouch") is included as well

>FPS games with the ability to jump and the need to aim up or down weren't the norm yet
sure, but games with plenty more movement options, and sane controls, were
>>
>>3304640
I've tried playing both System Shock 1 and 2, Deus Ex and Morrowind, but I just can't get into them.
A mix of the UI and the whole "traditional RPG mechanics from a first-person perspective" thing just makes these games completely unbearable to me.
>>
>>3306515
not /vr/, but does the same apply to Fallout 3/4, Oblivion or Skyrim? As in, is it consistent throughout the lifetime of the genre, or have more recent games "fixed" it?
>>
>>3306520
Nah, Oblivion onwards the genre kinda fixed it, but at the same time everything after Oblivion had some quite sub-par writing and began taking mechanics away.
Oblivion was the perfect point to stop IMHO but they just kept going and now F4 can't in all seriousness be considered an RPG anymore.
>>
>>3306515
>SS1
>traditional RPG mechanics

The fuck are you on about
>>
>>3306425
>arguing Wolf3D and Doom were actual 3D
Oh, I see. I thought you were serious, I didn't know you just wanted to argue.
>>
>>3307924
Yeah Wolfenstein is pretty much 2D, but I would argue that Doom actually IS a 3D game.
The maps may 2D, but the gameplay itself is 3D.
Projectiles are tracked on the X,Y, and Z axis. 3 Dimensions. Isn't that the very definition of 3D?
You can run under or over projectiles without getting hit. That alone makes it a 3D game
>>
>>3304640
I don't know, I genuinely like it more than SS2's interface.
>>
>>3304786
Kill yourself you wannabe janitor.
>>
>>3304640
Welcome to '94 when every second PC game had its own unique genre so nobody knew how to make things "conventional" way because there simply wasn't one.
>>
>>3308450
fuck off, I hate keeping track of a million different threads when 1 is enough. It's a fucking hassle

the doom thread guys were smart enough to figure this shit out, which is why they tell every new thread to fuck off back to the main thread
>>
>>3304640
the interface owns though. it's one of the best parts of the game.
>>
>>3308427
You can't go over or under enemies, and you can't have rooms on top of each other. It isn't 3D. That's why I said it was faked 3D.
>>
>>3308463
The maps are 2D. The enemies are mostly 2D (their height and Z position are tracked so cacodemons can float through windows). But the projectiles ARE 3D.
There's no semantics to be argued about here. If your game has a 3D mechanic that affects gameplay, your game is 3D
>>
>>3306515
SS1 is more like a metroidvania or an adventure game than an RPG
>>
>>3307924
>>3308427
the visuals are perspective 3D. The only approximation these engines use is that points in space sharing the same position but different elevation share the same column of pixels on screen, which simplifies the projection. The whole "the maps are 2D" bit is just the data model, and has little to do with the rendering process (it does help figuring out what bits not to render, I'll give it that)
>>
>>3304640
Because it released merely 10 months after doom. Compare that with a RPG FPS game with up down look, leaning and 3 levels of crouch. No surprise the interface was a casualty.

The original dev's actually talked about this in this LP.
https://youtu.be/lq83Yhllyog?t=318
>>
>>3308459
No birch YOU fuck off. You ain't a mod and you never will be cause you don't know JACK about what you talking bout.
>>
>>3310414
I didn't say I was a mod you fucking retard, I said having multiple threads about the same game is annoying
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.