[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who had the better library pre-merger?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: Square_Soft_logo.png (39KB, 1024x564px) Image search: [Google]
Square_Soft_logo.png
39KB, 1024x564px
Who had the better library pre-merger?
>>
File: Mischiefmakers-titleJP.png (35KB, 320x237px) Image search: [Google]
Mischiefmakers-titleJP.png
35KB, 320x237px
I always liked Enix more.

Square did some of the best and most polished JRPGs, but Enix had more variety and experimental stuff, apart from classic series like Dragon Quest.
Enix was more of a publisher though, Square had more in-house development, but fewer variety as a whole.
>>
My vote goes to Squaresoft. They didn't want to leave any stone unturned when it came to experimenting with different genres, especially RPGs. Every FF game basically had its own gimmick or character development system, whereas DQ games were nearly carbon copies in terms of gameplay mechanics. Although Square could take innovation only so far before they started churning out a lot of weird B-class games like Chocobo Racing.

I like some class Enix games, but the company's localization got progressively worse, especially during the fifth generation. Shortly after Square and Enix merged, Square's IPs suffered the same fate. I can't go anywhere near the more recent FF ports and remakes for this reason. (Partly. SE remakes are just shit in general.)
>>
Square.
>>
Square tried to be epic while Enix tried to be novel. Choose your flavor.
>>
>>3303194
I miss old Squaresoft.
>>
Enix. Squaresoft stuff doesn't appeal to me.
>>
>>3303217
This is bait.
>>
>>3303270
We all know that feel.

I miss old Enix as well.
>>
Enix because they published Quintet's games which shit all over anything Squeersoft developed.
>>
Square for RPGs
Enix as Publisher and for ARPGs
>>
JRPGs are the most boring neckbearded games in existence, so I'm gonna say Enix, because they had the best non-JRPG games.
>>
>>3303194
Square, by a long shot, and Enix was 90% a publisher instead of a true software house, so even if you want to put games like Valkyrie Profile those were done by Tri-Ace, so they're technically speaking, not Enix, would you say that Riven or Tomb Raider 3 are Enix's games? I hope not.

Anyway, let's take FF and DQ out of the picture for a second and consider most of the "well known" titles and a handful of not so niche ones, published or in-house developed.

>Square
Seiken Densetsu series
SaGa series
Front Mission series
Vagrant Story
Chocobo Racing
Chocobo Dungeon
Brave Fencer Musashi
Parasite Eve I/II
Ehrgeiz
Bushido Blade I/II
Einhander
Alcahest
Live A Live
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Bahamut Lagoon
Tobal No.1/No.2
Xenogears
Thexder
Cruise Chaser Blassty
Racing Lagoon
Threads of Fate
Internal Section
Rudra no Hihou
Treasure Hunter G

>Enix
Ark series(7nth Saga, Brain Lord, Mystic Ark, Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijou)
Torneko's Mistery Dungeon
Actraiser I/II
"Soul Blazer" series(Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)
Itadaki Streets series
Bust-a-Groove 1/2
Star Ocean I/II
Valkyrie Profile
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
Robotrek
Rakugaki Showtime
Mischief Makers
Blade Arts
Nanatsu Kae no Shima Monogatari
Lennus/Lennus II
Violinist of Hamelin
Mahoujin Guru Guru I/II
Just Breed

Square had a game for almost any genre, most of which are decent to really good and strived to fuse genres or innovate old ones, not all of them succeded obviously, so you have games with really good ideas ruined by terrible meta balance, like Rudra no Hihou or Treasure Hunter G.

Enix mostly did RPGs, most of which follow the same exact DQ formula(Lots of them were done by Chunsoft for the records) to the point it kind of ruined some imho, like Mystic Ark, then you have a few oddballs that are however Treasure games, a handful of Tri-Ace games and a few licensed games that are not so bad at the end of the day, but not impressive either.

Bust a Groove is really good tho.
>>
>>3303194
im a jrpg guy so i always loved squaresoft. but in retrospect i think enix may have had better games all around. of course i only found out about most of them afterwards from the internet and emulation. so my vote is squaresoft, if only because that was what i grew up with. cant mess with 'stalgia
>>
>>3303323
I don't really see how. What he said seems pretty reasonable.
>>
>>3304463
All of those Square games are trash besides Einhander and Bushido Blade.
>>
>>3303205
Man Mischief Makers was so good. Really underrated.
>>
>>3305332
>SaGa series
>shit

Nigger I will fucking cut you.
>>
>>3305332
>saga
>shit
0/10
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 465x498px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 465x498px
>>3305828
>>3305831
>actually liking cookie-cutter JRPG's
Please, stay in your SaGa containment general.
>>
>>3305837
>saga
>cookie cutter
gud one
>>
>>3305837
>saga frontier
>cookie cutter
lol
>>
>>3305843
>>3305852
Phantasy Star: End of the Millennium is superior to any of your Square RPG's.
>>
>>3305861
It is pretty good.
>>
>>3305861
Fuck off, Australia-kun. Nobody cares about your shitty Final Fantasy ripoff.
>>
>>3305861
O
K
>>
>implying that anything Enix made before the merger can compete with this
>>
File: 1459815423529.png (98KB, 318x319px) Image search: [Google]
1459815423529.png
98KB, 318x319px
>>3305837
>>
Is there a reason Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma haven't been released on any of Nintendo's Virtual Consoles?
>>
>>3306351
I could've sworn they put IoG on VC at some point
>>
>>3305923
>Final Fantasy ripoff

Phantasy Star 1 came out the same week as Final Fantasy 1, dumbass.
>>
File: 1422988863527.jpg (28KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
1422988863527.jpg
28KB, 220x330px
>>3305837
>SaGa
>Cookie cutter
>>
>>3306704
What's so good about the SaGa games? Never played any of them before.
>>
>>3305837
lmao
>>
>>3305315
Preferring Square over Enix is like preferring British microcomputers over Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>3306728
>What's so good about the SaGa games?

They're experimental RPGs with unusual mechanics, they're not for everyone though as they have a lot of stuff you need to learn, most of which is pretty complicated and a lot of that is hidden, they're literally the complete opposite of cookie cutter RPGs. They're good if you want deep gameplay and have enough time to dedicate in learning the mechanics, loopholes and exploits by yourself since the games hardly explain anything.
>>
File: 1458214424782.png (191KB, 419x398px) Image search: [Google]
1458214424782.png
191KB, 419x398px
>>3305837
>SaGa series
>Cookie cutter JRPG
Here is your complimentary (You).
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.