[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chorno Trigger is really that good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork3.jpg (109KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork3.jpg
109KB, 700x420px
I'm playing this on NDS and I think I'm almost at the end, but I can't seem to figure out why the game is so overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a lot of fun and I really think it is a really good game, but I think it's rating is way above of what it should be.

Am I missing something? Because I can't really think about anything other than nostalgia as the reason for why people love it so much.

Also, recommend some good JRPGs or Western RPG if you want.
>>
>>3298358
You're being pretty vague, what don't you like about it exactly? If your at the end I imagine you like it fine. Also what do you want in a jrpg? Its hard to recommend specific games to you when you didn't leave any reasons you didn't like chrono trigger.
>>
I didn't get a chance to play it until the Chronicles port, and I found it to be pretty overrated. It's a solid game on its own merits, but just not the kind of game that encourages you to revisit it, despite the existence of a New Game+ mode.

For starters, all the characters are forced into specific class roles, so you don't get to customize their skills or equipment, aside from some liberties with armor and accessories. I think Chrono Cross took things in the right direction with the element grid, since you could customize character abilities however you saw fit. All that variety makes NG+ playthroughs slightly less boring.
>>
>>3298394
Well, there's not something in particular I didn't like, I just didn't feel like it's that good. The story is really good, but not quite 10/10. Same goes for the music, graphics, etc. You got what I mean? It's not that it has something bad to ruin it's 10/10 score, it's just that it does not have anything so special to make it 10/10. Maybe my only real complaint is that I found the game to be pretty easy. I didn't die until now and I have about 20 hours of gameplay.

What I want in a jrpg is what I want in any other game I play. I like games that are also kind of an experience. Like they make you feel something, care about the game. Take Super Metroid as an example. It does not have text or anything, but you feel everything without the need to read anything. Of course I'm not asking for some textless RPG (that would be stupid as fuck), but I like when a game makes me care and provides feelings as I play. Was I clear or that sounded like straight bullshit? I also like shorter games. I also know RPGs are normally long, but something as long os Chrono Trigger is totally fine. Difficulty must be precise too (not to hard, not too easy) since I care a lot about that.
>>
File: 1434319087190.png (28KB, 161x130px) Image search: [Google]
1434319087190.png
28KB, 161x130px
>>3298409
It's unique because it has time travel, live action battles, multiple endings and combination techs depending on what characters you have out. You have to think about it from the perspective of a child/teenager when this game was released. Your complaints are similar to a millennial asking "what's so great about pong, it's literally just bouncing a ball on one screen" but they are taking it out of context.
>>
>>3298453
Yeah, but people are still regarding it as the best RPG ever made. If we consider what you said, everybody would have to agree that Tennis for Two (the first video game) is the best game ever made because it was revolutionary at the time. Fun is timeless. Storytelling is timeless. Music is timeless. And that is why it is still a good as fuck game, but not quite the best RPG ever made.

I also think Earthbound is going to be better when I play it
>>
>>3298453
A good game can stand on its own outside of context of its own time. That's a fucking lousy defence and you know it. If it's only good because it blew the minds of kids 20 years ago, that doesn't mean it still holds up today. The Arrival of a Train has historical significance, but no defensible entertainment value today.

>>3298409
Try Live-A-Live.
>>
>>3298464
I never heard of it, but I'm really interested in it now. I probably never heard of it because it was never released outside JP (correct me if I'm wrong). It really looks awesome. I'm more into turn based RPGs than Tatics, but it still seems like a great deal.
>>
>>3298471
It's not tactical in the same vein as FFT and the like are, the characters move around on a grid and skills depend on positioning but it's quite fluid and feels more like a classic turn-based JRPG.

Yeah, it was never released outside of Japan, though fan translations exist.
>>
>>3298358
yes
>>
>>3298478
That sounds really interesting. I might play it after Earthbound on my Nintendo DS's Snes emulator.
>>
>>3298358
>Don't get me wrong, I'm having a lot of fun and I really think it is a really good game

Then it succeeded at it's purpose as a video game. Stop trying to be a pseudo intellectual, it's okay to like children's toys.
>>
File: Lavos_1st_Form.png (256KB, 628x263px) Image search: [Google]
Lavos_1st_Form.png
256KB, 628x263px
>>3298358
Hey guys I'm curious, there's any chance to beat Lavos, not in a new game+ but the first run at ocean palace?
>>
>>3298560
Yeah.

Its unlikely since you don't have the best gear, but it's totally possible if you sat and grinded to high enough levels.
>>
>>3298358
it's because it's flawless, not because any particular part of it is so amazing

actually the graphics and music are amazing, especially at the time they came out, and the pacing of the narrative and mise en scene is spot on

like how many games can you say there's literally nothing that's wrong with it?
>>
>>3298560
>>3298593
you need Robo to have around 800 HP in order to survive and use heal beam every turn, and your other characters are gonna be Lucca and Chrono, because nobody else can survive his attacks without an insane amount of leveling. I think this also requires that you double charm a prism helm for Robo off of one of the bosses, but that might be inaccurate. I'm pretty sure he needs to get all the magic tabs you can give him in order to heal enough damage to survive, and you might have to drop a Lapis every turn as well.

The funny thing is that if you beat him there, even if it's your first game, you'll actually get the developer room ending.
>>
CT only starts getting really good after beating Magus, with Zeal and the side quests being the best part of the game. If you like a dragged out and dull fetch quest that makes up like a third of the game, go ahead!
>>
>>3298632
You're really grasping at straws here, the "fetch quest" to repair the Masamune doesn't even start until you meet Frog again, and nothing before that could be described as a fetch quest.
>>
>>3298560
>>3298593
Fuck you guys! I just entered Ocean Palace and did not know I would fight Lavos in there.
>>
>>3298548
Wtf are you talking about? I made it clear that I'm liking the game, I just don't think it's a masterpiece. Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>3298665
then you probably should not have looked at the internet before you finished your playthrough
>>
>>3298669
what do you think is then? Planeshit Torment?
>>
>>3298670
Fair enough
>>
>>3298660

It was still dull and boring.
>>
>>3298675
Isn't everything dull and boring to you though? Can you even function anymore without taking drugs to manage your emotions?
>>
>>3298612
I don't feel like there's actually anything special with graphics or music, they're just good. Take Donkey Kong Country for example (any of them). Their OST stands out, it has a personality for itself and it matches with the overrall game personality. Chrono Trigger has some really good music (Forest Theme is probably my favorite) but it lacks personality imo. The same goes for the graphics (the character design is really good though). I have to agree with you about the pacing and all though. Story and narrative is probably this game's best aspect. The combat is also really cool. But I still feel a bit empty, like the game lacks something.
>>
>>3298358
>I think I'm almost at the end
So you just started the game?
>>
>>3298691
Maybe you're the one whose lacking somebody else to enjoy it with.

Like seriously you're saying Chrono Trigger's sound track lacks personality? are you literally autistic?

I guess there's no accounting for shit taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ypnJaDkN4&list=PLA7456D04969ACEE7
>>
>>3298691
>like the game lacks something
The gameplay is simple, really its biggest flaw. Jrpgs unfortunately have terrible balance in most cases, either being stupidly easy or asking for hour of your life to grind just so you will be able to get through one dungeon. Personally I preffer the former which is what CT is, a really simple and easy game. I disagree on the personality aspect, I feel CT is definitely unique and has character. The game is riddled with cliques but the way it uses so many and how they are incorporated is really interesting.
>>
I'm guessing if you're dissatisfied with your life and use videogames as an escape or a means to manage your ever looming anxiety, distracting your mind with complex numerical or spacial interactions or filling your thoughts of the near future with plans for customizing and optimizing character builds, just so that you can temporarily calm the emotional maelstrom of insecurity and existential dread that hangs over every part of your life, then no, you probably won't enjoy Chrono Trigger very much.

On the other hand if you have a couple nerdy friends at school to talk to and you got all your homework done and nobody is bullying you constantly, and you started working out a bit and feel good about yourself and look toward the future with optimism after having overcome the darkness you experienced earlier in life, then spending an hour or two playing Chrono Trigger and thinking about how great it would be if someone made a game as cool as this with today's graphics and processing power will probably be quite enjoyable.

Then after you could play Xenogears and imagine what could have been, listening to Yasunori Mitsuda's god damn near fucking perfect compositions, closing your eyes and gazing into the aether of possibility.
>>
>>3298718
>>3298730

I really can't see much of this game's personality. I don't mean it does not have ANY of it. I guess the best I can feel is it's silyness. Like, some shit does not make sense, but they happen because the creators could do it and that's all. Very similar to the original Dragon Ball anime at that aspect. I don't know if you get what I mean, but it's hard to explain anyway. Other than that, it seems very much like any other jrpg. It's charm doesn't go too far beyond that.
>>
>>3298762
I think your mind is making arbitrary distinctions based on what you think is cool or not. I'm not sure how you can say that Magus' castle or the guardia prison isn't spooky, or that the boss fight with Azazel and the Tyrano or Magus isn't dramatic, or that the fair isn't cheerful. Mistuda also incorporates so many different influences together and executes them masterfully such that I can't believe anyone would say the game doesn't have it's own style or identity.

I hope you used headphones if you played the DS version as well, the DS speakers are shit.
>>
>>3298801
You're wrong. I don't think Magus's Castle isn't spooky or whatever. If that was the case, I wouldn't like the game as I am right now. I want it to be clear that I am indeed enjoying the game a lot. The whole point is that I don't think it is too great as most people say.

Normally, I just know why I don't agree with people like that, but this time it is different. That's why I wanted to discuss, because that way maybe it would click to me. I don't really see why I don't like this game as much, I just don't. It's like my rational self see why the game is good, but my emotional self does not feel it deeply enough. As I said, I feel like the game's missing something. Could it be the fact it is too easy? Could it be I'm relating too much to Dragon Ball (I really think both have a lot of similarities and that's not because of the art style)? I don't really know.

I'm using headphones and Secret of The Forest makes me want to glue the fucking thing to my ears
>>
Its a great game. Honestly though, i dont think its as mind blowing as some would have you believe. Chrono trigger is the opitome of jrpgs. Do i like other games more? Hell yeah. Ff9, terranigma, kotor, and persona 4. to give a few examples.

But if i wanted to sit down and play an incredibly well done jrpg with few frills, but a shit ton of charm and likeable characters, then chrono trigger is it.

As a matter fo fact, i think im gonna do another playthrough after i finish up grandia
>>
>>3299080
for me that game is either saga frontier or wild arms
>>
I think there's something about Chrono Trigger's aesthetic that makes certain people (like myself) unable to totally take it seriously—which it's not supposed to be, it's supposed to have a degree of whimsy—either something to do with the DBZ art, or the shallow characters, or the general goofiness of Reptites-et-cetera.

>>3298738
there's some BR who seems to be making a lot of gear renders for a presumed remake and they look pretty good actually
>>
>>3299087
Actually if you really want an jrpg that "has something special" you might enjoy the original Wild Arms on PSX a lot

just make sure you leave it on the title screen long enough to watch the hidden intro before getting started, and play up until the end of the Adlehyde scenario, it's got a lot of soul in all the right places
>>
>>3298358
>Am I missing something?

No, or well, you miss what the west missed back then, the good RPGs on the system.
CT is fine as an introduction to the genre, but it's hardly the masterpiece everyone say it is, all the claims about it being "flawless" are also stupid, the game has tons of flaws, just like your average RPG, it's just that the fanbase is very obnoxious and vocal.

It's a 7/10, 7.5/10 at best, there's much more enjoyable games on the system that beat CT in every single aspect, Dark Law does the no transition battle system better, Rudra no Hihou has better graphics, Romancing SaGa 3 has much better turn based gameplay and is actually non linear and so on, the thing CT has is that it has more or less everything besides gameplay on a good level, Mitsuda's music is good, the graphics are very good for its time and still remain pretty impressive for the system and there's a decent amount of content, but again, anything more than a 7.5 is being very generous.
>>
File: 1435329549249.png (166KB, 490x327px) Image search: [Google]
1435329549249.png
166KB, 490x327px
>>3299392
All that's really just a matter of personal taste, Dark Law is pretty much arcane in it's actual mechanics, and the funnest part of fighting is combining runes into OP spells that will roflstomp all encounters. Rudra no Hihou has nice graphics inside of battle, but some of the scenes outside of battle are just pitiful (I'm thinking of the butterflies specifically here). Romancing SaGa and SaGa games in general are hit and miss with everybody, as much as you might love their unforgiving randomized nature, other people think that's bullshit because they just want to play a game and go through the story and adventure.

As far as your claims of numerical objectivity go, I really hoped that people like you would have grown out of that shit by 2016 instead of soaking it in forever like so much brain rot.
>>
>>3299413
>Dark Law is pretty much arcane in it's actual mechanics
Not nearly as arcane as CT, especially with the fact that it mixes real time inputs with turn based strategy, something only a handful of games did at that point in time.
>and the funnest part of fighting is combining runes into OP spells that will roflstomp all encounters.
The best part of fighting is that mages rely on rune combinations while fighters can use other abilities that also require real time inputs and grant stuff like repositioning or better attacks, much better than anything Trigger has to offer, unless you like the same bland system that's been used since DQ.
>but some of the scenes outside of battle are just pitiful
Cheerypicking won't do you any good since Chrono Trigger suffer from the very same problem, and it doesn't change the fact that Rudra no Hihou looks vastly better than Trigger in its entirety, denying that would be pretty embarassing since it's one of the few RPGs that really pushed the machine to its limits.
>as much as you might love their unforgiving randomized nature
Scripted events triggered by multiple flags are now random events? Sounds new to me, maybe you should actually play games instead of just talking about them.

You sound more like a butthurt fanboy than anything else, here's your (You), come back when you cool off a bit, then we can talk like adults.
>>
>>3298358
>I can't seem to figure out why the game is so overrated

It isn't overrated, it really is that good.

>Am I missing something?

It depends on how many times you played it and what endings you get. There are a lot of things you can do in different ways.
>>
>>3298464
>A good game can stand on its own outside of context of its own time.

It does. Compared to modern games in 3D, are they better because they have 3D?

No they're not, you just think 3D high res is good because it's new. The artistic style in old 2D games are often better.

3D games play differently, they're inexact in ways that didn't exist back then.

Chrono Trigger is good because it's the peak of 2D RPGs. You can't take a modern game and say it's better when it isn't the same game type, then you're comparing what gametype/game design is better, not what game is better.

Chrono Trigger doesn't really compare to anything, it's unique.
>>
>>3299441
>Chrono Trigger is good because it's the peak of 2D RPGs

Not even, lots of game look much better than Chrono Trigger. Seiken Densetsu 3, Rudra no Hihou, Arc The Lad 2, you name it.

>Chrono Trigger doesn't really compare to anything, it's unique.
>Unique

Something with Akira Toriyama's designs already stops being unique for this simple premise, let alone for its gameplay.
>>
File: 1462481039459.jpg (20KB, 170x170px) Image search: [Google]
1462481039459.jpg
20KB, 170x170px
>>3299429
>Not nearly as arcane as CT, especially with the fact that it mixes real time inputs with turn based strategy, something only a handful of games did at that point in time.
This statement is idiotic, Chrono Trigger is not complex, the most complex thing it does is that some enemies will automatically get a turn and counter when you attack.
>fighters can use other abilities that also require real time inputs
This is just blatantly false, Dark Law is 100% turn based with no active component.
>Cheerypicking won't do you any good since Chrono Trigger suffer from the very same problem
Except it doesn't. Try to find a single example faggot.
>Scripted events triggered by multiple flags are now random events? Sounds new to me, maybe you should actually play games instead of just talking about them.
It's sad that you can't even hold the correct context of the conversation. I was taking specifically about the turn based gameplay. When did I even mention the free scenario system or non-linear structure? It's a nonissue because there are plenty of good linear games and plenty of good non-linear games, linearity is completely irrelevant to quality and fun unless the games are being specifically compared on their ability to do one or the other. Comparing them across for no reason is like comparing steak to cake. They have different purposes and goals and meanings, regardless of there being any overlap, they're enjoyed by different people at different times for different reasons.

I pity you and your mental illness you antisocial cunt.
>>
>>3299429
>Scripted events triggered by multiple flags are now random events?
Something something battle system something something stat grinding
>>
Nothing Chrono Trigger does is Shakespearean or mind-blowing by any means but it does so many things so simply and effectively and has the best pacing in any JRPG I've ever played. It's just very competent in all aspects and aside from the combat being too easy, I'd call it a near perfect game honestly.

And this is coming from a 23 year old that just beat it about 2 months ago my first time, so no nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>3299429
>>3299473
get a room, faggots

It's refreshing though. You two are still far more intelligent than /v/. Wish I used this board sooner.
>>
>>3298409
>Like they make you feel something, care about the game

Weird that you wouldn't feel that while playing Chrono, I always personally did experience feels while playing it.

>That happy when you wake up and hear the bells, and get to go to the fair!

>oh so exciting, ooh a girl!

>omg the transporter made her disappear! what the hell!

>wow I've gone back in time..

That game is full of feels, I fucking loved it when I first played it when it came out.
but who knows.. maybe later 3D games changed what people consider impressive.

I lived Chrono, I was Chrono.
>>
>>3299473
>Chrono Trigger is not complex
Sorry, I meant archaic, slip of the tongue.
>Dark Law is 100% turn based with no active component.
Factually false, skills such as Hit and Away or Swordmaster REQUIRE you to do inputs to be used, again, play the games instead of just talking about them.
>Except it doesn't. Try to find a single example faggot.
Any and all dialogues or scenes outside of boss battles prologues? The best you could get is characters doing their "surprised" pose, hardly different from other RPGs like Final Fantasy or BoF.
>I was taking specifically about the turn based gameplay.
Literally the only "random" thing is sparking techs, and even that it's scripted as hell so that you can abuse it IF you know how the system works of course.
So, if you want to get X tech you need to know which character can get it and the BR and, depending on some titles, the enemy that has the best chances of letting you spark it, not to mention that 90% of techs are easily obtainable and are almost 100% guaranteed to spark IF you know the conditions.

So what's your point? Are you gonna tell me this is more random than the average RPG stat growth system that uses different growth tables for each character and item drops? Maybe you should read about how the games work instead of just playing for a few hours and talk nonsense.

>I pity you and your mental illness you antisocial cunt.

Better than being a tourettic thinskinned fanboy, Famicom.
>>3299480
>Something something battle system something something stat grinding

Come back when you can type like an adult son.
>>
I wonder if playing a ported version can change the main experience.

I remember playing a Final Fantasy 6 port on a GBA and the music was downgraded by a lot, and I'm not sure if Chrono Trigger's DS remake has been changed in any way.

The reason why it's among one of the best games is probably how it's among one of the first games to utilize a time travel mechanic in a very good, with the addition of turn-base RPG battles. The music is amazing and memorable.
>>
>>3299545
In a very good way*~
>>
File: 1095285.png (128KB, 430x1112px) Image search: [Google]
1095285.png
128KB, 430x1112px
>>3299520
>Sorry, I meant archaic, slip of the tongue.
You can admit that you didn't know what the word "arcane" meant.
>Factually false, skills such as Hit and Away or Swordmaster REQUIRE you to do inputs to be used, again, play the games instead of just talking about them.
It requires you to attack an enemy and hold a directional button after pressing confirm. It's a real stretch to call that active.
>Any and all dialogues or scenes outside of boss battles prologues? The best you could get is characters doing their "surprised" pose, hardly different from other RPGs like Final Fantasy or BoF.
gonna have to call bullshit on that one faggot, picture related
>Literally the only "random" thing is sparking techs, and even that it's scripted as hell so that you can abuse it IF you know how the system works of course.
So, if you want to get X tech you need to know which character can get it and the BR and, depending on some titles, the enemy that has the best chances of letting you spark it, not to mention that 90% of techs are easily obtainable and are almost 100% guaranteed to spark IF you know the conditions.
>So what's your point? Are you gonna tell me this is more random than the average RPG stat growth system that uses different growth tables for each character and item drops? Maybe you should read about how the games work instead of just playing for a few hours and talk nonsense.
All enemies in SaGa games that include sparking and stat gains are assigned a battle rank that loosely approximates their difficulty and increases the chance of sparking relative to the rank's magnitude, in addition to this the characters are grouped into several type categories or if not that, are assigned each their own set of waza for which they either have talent or do not, and these waza are in turn connected in in a tree showing which waza can spark which other waza, occasionally with differing probabilities depending on which waza one is attempting to use to spark new waza.

cont.
>>
>>3299547
In addition to this almost all SaGa games after I believe Romancing SaGa the first have a battle rank for the player, the base value for which increases by random intervals every time the player is involved in an encounter. The enemy formations are randomly selected from lists based on the monster type encountered on the field cross referenced with the player's battle rank and at times limited or amplified by the danger level of the area the monsters are encountered in. The increments of stats and/or weapon skills after battle is random, the enemy drops are random, what enemies you'll fight and how soon you'll fight stronger ones is random, whether or not the characters learn abilities is random, which abilities they learn is random. While these randomizations are statistically balanced and can be manipulated and guided by a skilled player, there is still not any guarantee of what outcome will occur, unless one dissects and manipulates the random number seeds on purpose with a hex editor, those random number seeds almost always being at least 4, those 4 being one that is updated each frame, one that is updated each battle, one that is updated each time you open or close a menu, and one that updates each time you enter or leave a map area. The design of the SaGa series was specifically directed by Akitoshi Kawazu such that he could play his own games and still encounter unexpected events that would surprise him. He literally said that. He literally said that he designed them to be random.

Do you know how many random number seeds the average Fire Emblem game uses?

Fucking one. One fucking seed that only updates each time it's used.
>>
>>3298358
It is good but most of the praise comes for it comes from how well time travel was executed in the storyline.
>>
File: 20160618_000618.jpg (824KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160618_000618.jpg
824KB, 2560x1440px
>>3298358
Reasons people like rpgs
>waifus
>.......
>secret shit
>much content
>beatable by any retard
>>
>>3299547
>You can admit that you didn't know what the word "arcane" meant.
Unfortunately for you I speak four languages, so I probably know what arcane means more than you do, not like this would help you in your efforts of making CT look better than what it is anyway.
>It's a real stretch to call that active.
Moving the goalpoast won't do you any good, it's either active or it isn't, and in this case it is active.
Sure, there are some games that have a more expanded active turn based system, Solid Runner, for instance, that doesn't make Dark Law's system any less of a hybrid of active and turn based system.
>the base value for which increases by random intervals every time the player is involved in an encounter.
Wrong, Romancing SaGa 2 has rank increase regularly with each battle, Romancing SaGa 3 has BR increasing with your HP pool, SaGa Frontier is slightly more complex as it uses a mix of factors I don't exactly recall right now, Frontier 2 has BR linked to locations and the rest isn't retro.
>The increments of stats and/or weapon skills after battle is random
Wrong, Stats and Weapon skills increases are based on two things:

1)What actions you took in battles, though HP always has a chance of increasing outside of your actions in battle, attacking with a sword adds chances of leveling up in Sword, WP and STR levels for instance, while using epees will not trigger STR growth, but DEX.

2)The difference between your current level and BR, that's why fighting weak enemies doesn't let you grow and always challenging stronger enemies will make you grow fast.

> whether or not the characters learn abilities is random, which abilities they learn is random.
False, learning waza changes with your character Type Tables, the BR, the difference of power between the character and the monster selected, skill trees and in some games factors such as low HP and the monster you're facing.
>>>
>>
>>3299547
>ywn fuck ayla
Why even live
>>
While the actual flag(s) is percentage based it's very easily controlled by knowing the previous rules, with the exception of really strong waza which have, naturally, low chances to be sparked.
>there is still not any guarantee of what outcome will occur
False, otherwise challenges such as single character runs wouldn't be possible and yet people do those all the times.
As I said, waza are easily obtainable if you know how to maximize your yields, see the Pyrix exploit, not to mention that you don't really need high tier ones anyway, again, IF you know how to use them in battle and chances are you'll get them by the endgame due to the natural game progression anyway.
>He literally said that he designed them to be random.
Stretching words here famicom, not like I'd expect anything else from someone who talks about games he didn't play. Roguelikes are randomized, SaGa has multiple rolls, which is considerably different, you can't manipulate a roguelike to spawn what you want or behave like you want to, but you can do that in SaGa, to a certain extent, if you're a knowledgeable player.

>Do you know how many random number seeds the average Fire Emblem game uses?

Sorry, I don't give care about garbage series like FE and four/five seeds that work together are, mathematically, still better than one, unless that single seed has success chances so high it almost stops being a roll.

Also, you're trying to explain SaGa's balance based on ONE aspect of the battle system alone, disjointed by everything else which is pointless, it's as if I tried to describe CT balance based on the fact that each character has its own growth tables, does that somehow explain anything about the game besides Ayla being more melee oriented than Lucca? I think not, and it's childish of you to think you could do so with a complex series such as SaGa and try to pass it out as a LOLRANDOM system when it's actually one of the most methodical turn based RPGs out there.
>>
>>3299586
>you can't manipulate a roguelike to spawn what you want or behave like you want to
I give up. I didn't know I was talking to Jon Snow.
>>
Nintenbabbies overrate another squareshit game. How surprising
>>
>>3299586
Though, I should mention anon; I never once said that anything was wrong with SaGa either. You jumped to that conclusion on your own. I merely said that it wasn't for everybody and implied that it was a poor choice for someone who was trying and failing to make objective comparisons.
>>
>>3299591
I could say the same really.
Glad we agree on at least one thing.
>>
Youre playing it 20 years after it came out. Some of the things that was so great about it seem common place now.
>>
>>3299601
Try and make sense of this then you actual retard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivwKgXHLz8U
>>
because triggerniggers
>>
>>3298535
Isn't SNES emulation on the DS pretty shitty? You're better off playing it on a desktop emulator.
>>
>>3298453
This. Also, don't forget that NG+ was invented by this game. And the number of endings and how to achieve them is way more than most games present. Except for maybe a Tri Ace game like Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile.
>>
>>3298625
So... no point of doing it then? Hmmm well I think I'm gonna try it for da lulz anyway.
>>
>>3299452

The games you mentioned are action adventure, not RPGs.

The uniqueness lies in the game as a whole, including the character design, but not relying on it. It's the combination of design, story, music, battle system, party system, the time travel elements, multiple endings and side quests. It also has a philosophical aspect.

The only game that compares in quality is Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US).

I'm not saying anything negative about SD1-3 but that's a different game type.
>>
>>3299580

Reasons I play RPGs

>I like fantasy

>RPGs are usually long so I can play it for a long time even if I master it skill wise
>>
>>3298358

It's just a really fantastic beginner's RPG.
The music and graphics are excellent, no doubt about that.
The gameplay is very simplistic but it extracts as much depth as possible from that.
The plot is straightforward and simple to follow, but it's paced brilliantly and there are some good twists.
The time it came out was perfect too, as JRPGs were beginning to enter the mainstream.
>>
File: IMG_20160416_150136.jpg (633KB, 1630x1883px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_150136.jpg
633KB, 1630x1883px
Best game ever.
>>
>>3298358
>Don't get me wrong, I'm having a lot of fun and I really think it is a really good game, but I think it's rating is way above of what it should be.

You'll kind of get that with some of the classics, like, I love Earthbound, but it's talked up more than it can actually back up, for as amazing as it is.

I have kind of the same feeling about FF6, it's good, but I don't really see why it's so incredibly praised.
>>
>>3298453
>You have to think about it from the perspective of a child/teenager when this game was released. Your complaints are similar to a millennial asking "what's so great about pong, it's literally just bouncing a ball on one screen" but they are taking it out of context.
I think that's a good point too.
>>
>>3299650
>Also, don't forget that NG+ was invented by this game.
Blatantly false, NG+ was something that existed since the NES Legend of Zelda or Devil Summoner.
>>3299660
>The games you mentioned are action adventure, not RPGs.
Only SD3 is an action RPG in that list you fucking retard.

Jesus, so it's really true that people here talk about games they haven't played just out of butthurt.

And then you wonder why people here call you Triggerniggers, you're a fucking laughingstock.
>>
>>3298738
>First of all, bitch...

> You don't like the game I like so I will say you are insecure and have emotional problems

It's really funny when people argue here
>>
>>3298358
With CT there are a few nuanced expressions that, if you don't latch onto them, the overall experience may feel lacking compared to the hype. I missed them on my first playthrough back in the day because I was just going through the motions and wasn't used to a silent protagonist.

For now just appeciate that there's no filler in the whole game. Might just be top tier for you on a second playthrough someday
>>
>>3302074
I think if you're willing to spend a shit ton of time, like twenty hours, doing something you don't even enjoy that much, with no reward, then yeah, you probably have emotional problems.
>>
>>3302453
I think it's more of a personality quirk rather an emotional issue. OP's just trying to fit into /vr/.
>>
>>3298358
it's "overrated" in that people are selling carts for for money.

it was a damn good game though, singlehandedly sold me a copy of chrono cross, which I hated (best music though)
>>
>>3299650
>NG+ was invented by this game

"no"
>>
>>3301816
>NG+ was something that existed since the NES Legend of Zelda

Totally different. Zelda didn't let you carry over your powered-up character with all upgrades and equipment to the new game.
>>
File: 1456284284758.jpg (53KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1456284284758.jpg
53KB, 500x383px
>>3298691
>Chrono Trigger
>lacks personality
>>
>>3298762
>Like, some shit does not make sense, but they happen because the creators could do it and that's all. Very similar to the original Dragon Ball anime at that aspect.
Op, you should know that I feel nothing but sadness for you and your dull, miserable life.
>>
>>3299580
Thats why people like Final Fantasy
>>
>>3298358
>Chorno Trigger is really that good?
no. It is merely "pretty good", and this is only realized by people who didn't play it when they were 12.
>>
>>3299510
more like far more autistic
>>
FF and Dragonquest had a kid named Chronotrigger. It's the only merge of its kind, never to be done again. Personally the nostalgia is strong with this one
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.