[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you played the closest retro videogame to Dark Souls yet, /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: draconus.jpg (153KB, 1023x899px) Image search: [Google]
draconus.jpg
153KB, 1023x899px
Have you played the closest retro videogame to Dark Souls yet, /vr/?
>>
>tfw no dreamcast
God I want to. I want to play all the DC games.
>>
>>3297176
I thought the creator of Dark Souls said he was inspired by the Kings Field series?
>>
>>3297184
Only in theme. The KF games play nothing like Dark Souls.
>>
>>3297182
>>2016 and no dreamcast
I was late to the dreamcast party too... in 2003, you have no excuse.
>>
Summer is real
>>
>>3297176
That's not Nightmare Creatures.
>>
>>3298291
Seriously?
>>
>>3297176
Whenever I think I've played all the dreamcast games worth playing something pops up that I've never seen, so great.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severance:_Blade_of_Darkness
>>
>>3299041
Not retro.
>>
>>3297190
Uh, King's Fields games were even made by From? Dark Souls is basically King's Fields with third-person perspective and much more polished combat and atmosphere - wasn't Demon's Souls supposed to be originally a new King's Fields game before Miyazaki took over?
>>
>>3298291
Nightmare Creatures is a horror beatemup. It might look similar to DS on screenshots, but it plays completely differently.
>>
>>3299042
And draconus is 2000
>>
>>3299892
Yeah, but it's a Dreamcast game. Retro hardware means a game can come out in 2016 for it and still be retro, unlike computers.
>>
>yet

how can there be more games coming out that were release before 2000
>>
1.) Crave is a shit developer
2.) There are much better contenders for retro Dark Souls, such as Ghost 'n Goblins or King's Field
>>
>>3297190

Dark Souls is just King's Field with additional character development mechanics tacked on. They were both designed by the same studio, and were it not for the studio developing KF in the first place, they wouldn't have any basis for the Dark Souls engine.

From also based the Shadow Tower series and Eternal Ring on the same style of gameplay, if not reusing the KF engine for those games outright.
>>
>>3299042
You idiot. That is fucking retro. 15 years old. A few years ago when the "rules" of /vr/ were made, 15 years ago would have been N64. Which was considered retro when those very rules were made.

Go cry about it.
>>
>>3300063
You miss-spelled Demons Souls a few times there.
>>
>>3300064
Post-1999 computer games are NOT RETRO according to the rules.

Deal with it.
>>
>>3300054
>Ghost 'n Goblins
Not really. You rarely have to platform in Souls games.
>>
I've watched a Let's play of Draconus Cult of the Wyrm and besides the generic fantasy, it has almost nothing common with Dark Souls.
Draconus is actually more "modern" than the Souls games due to having a clear story told in in-game cutscenes and less straightforward gameplay.

Still, the whole >muh darksouls is just people whose first vidya game with a generic fantasy setting was Dark Souls.
>>
>>3297176
sage report hide and move on please not retro
>>
>>3303192
>sage
>bumps thread
>>
>>3303192
you've posted this in every dreamcast-related thread currently up, which I take it means you neither understand the things you're saying nor did you read this board's sticky.
>>
Ocarina of Time, if it were a bit more challenging, would be the Dark Souls of retro games.
>>
>>3298291
This. Nightmare Creatures may be horror-themed, but combat and atmosphere are very similar.
>>
>>3303885
This. I got a massive Zelda vibe the first time I played through Dark Souls (which was totally blind). Just a lot nastier in terms of tone and difficulty.
>>
>>3303885
Adventure of Link is the Dark Souls of Zelda
>>
>>3304036
>no rolling
>no lock-on camera
>can't upgrade your gear
>jump button, unlike OoT/Souls

Nope, it's not.
>>
>>3303885

Pretty much.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npbOTsz_pnc

Wow! Ultra impressed with the quality of the soundtrack, voice acting, and SFX.
>>
>>3304048

Castlevania is the Dark Souls of Zelda 2
>>
>>3306836
>>No motion capture, animation looks cruddy
>>Token alpha layer background elements
>>weird camera
dissonance between the blocky level design and high resolution textures

Yep, this sure is a dreamcast game.
>>
Shadow tower abyss is enjoyable but it's ps2 and only available with a fan translation but it's neato
>>
What about Mount & Blade?
>>
>>3307003
Since when do you ride horses in Dark Souls?
>>
File: 1466293150611.jpg (143KB, 777x728px) Image search: [Google]
1466293150611.jpg
143KB, 777x728px
>>3297176

for some reason this game makes my dreamcast go nuts. like it has to constantly read the disk(im NOT using a burned copy btw)

is this normal?
>>
>>3308045
maybe your dc laser is going out
>>
>>3306863

not disagreeing with that lol

sound is HQ tho
>>
>>3297176
This was the first Dream cast game I bought.

I hated it.
>>
>>3297192
the mother fuckers are loud and kinda crappy pieces of hardware. good games but god damn that thing is finicky
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.