[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it still worth getting a hold of the original cart?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: ocarinaoftime.jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ocarinaoftime.jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
Is it still worth getting a hold of the original cart?
>>
Yes, even more if you have the OG version with the monk chants and the islam moon.
Otherwise the Gamecube version is better than the censored N64 one. It also includes Master Quest.

But 3DS version is still worth having also. Lots of improvements and a mirrored Master Quest and the ability to refight bosses any time you want.
>>
It's not like Majora's Mask where the changes were actually drastic. They made the art style a bit more cartoony and brightened up the shadow temple and ganon fight.
>>
>>3295385

Those changes aren't a big deal to us but I'd never recommend OOT3D to someone that hasn't played it, they take so much atmosphere out of the game's final few hours.
>>
It's not worth the price resellers are asking, IMO, but the original version is nonetheless very playable. I happen to own the GC Master Quest collection. If you have a GC or a GC-compatible Wii, that may be the more affordable route.

>>3295385
>It's not like Majora's Mask where the changes were actually drastic.

Except they are drastic? The entire game got a makeover. It looks absolutely nothing like the original gritty style found in the N64 version. I couldn't stomach the 3DS changes at all. Every character looks like they stumbled out of a Disney film.
>>
>>3295356

Yes. I own 2 copies m8. Game is near perfect
>>
>>3295371
>monk chants
I always forget about this. The Fire Temple music went from being one of the greatest dungeon themes to the absolute worst.
>>
>>3295371
Only autists give a shit about the changes to the 3D version.

>>3295439
Case in point.
>>
>>3295429
Agreed, I keep hoping that hacking efforts on 3DS will someday soon produce a 'restoration' mod that returns original music+textures, blood color, lighting, etc. while still keeping the new assets, controls, and other niceties.
>>
>>3295479

The changes I actually liked on the 3DS version is stuff like higher framerate, easier inventory with the touch screen (plus equip boots as items, genius), gyro controls are actually a godsend IMO, Shiggy may have his fuckups nowadays with paper mario and what not, but gyro controls on OOT3D were a good idea. Horseback aiming is now a lot easier and more intuitive, same with pretty much every other part that requires first person aiming. Also, it's well done, you don't have to move around for it to work.

I didn't mind the new graphics and the new models look closer to the original art found in the game's manual and illustrations. Though I still can see the appeal of the more angular and darker look of the first.

I still think OOT3D can be creepy though, it's not like it got totally dollied-up and changed the tone drastically, it's still the same game, but some changes are annoying, like the lack of more visible blood on the bottom of the well dungeon mini-boss.

I'd say if possible play both versions. Making sure the one you play on N64 is the very first one, if you really care about the original, more gritty atmosphere, the OG 64 title has it all, including the creepiest dungeon music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blHw6C4Ax4
>>
>>3295496
why did they remove this track?
>>
>>3295526
The vocals in it are actual recordings of Muslim chanting. Pretty sure you can hear them say "Allah" at one point.
>>
>>3295526
It was based on stock footage of an Islamic chant and that violates a Nintendo policy about including real religious stuff. Nintendo removed it before any actual complaints were made.
>>
>>3295530
>>3295534
man why are Muslims so buttblasted

meanwhile Japs use tons of Christian stuff
>>
File: dTGZBmL.jpg (58KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
dTGZBmL.jpg
58KB, 531x471px
>>3295537
>>
>>3295537
It had nothing to do with it. It was Nintendo policy.

Although the NES Zelda games still have the crosses and stuff. I'm surprised they haven't changed that shit in the re-releases.
>>
>>3295356
I've got an everdrive for the N64. For twice the price of the OoT cart you can get a cart which plays every N64 game on the original hardware. I recommend it unless you just want the cart to put on a shelf and stare at like some collectorFag.
>>
>>3295537

Nobody complained about it. It was just Nintendo's retarded policies. They also enforced it against games with other Abrahamic elements, such as the crucifixes in Castlevania and Ghosts 'n Goblins.

And Nintendo itself has no interest in these politics. All of Nintendo's censorship policies are grossly miscalculated nonsense. They wouldn't even allow LGBT characters or themes on any of their platforms because that would be against the values of the "average" far-right American household.

As for Abrahamic censorship, it was a sweeping censorship of any and all religious elements to avoid offending Christians because 1.) Nintendo evidently believed that the mere existence of non-Christian characters or themes would have been perceived as Nintendo personally endorsing said beliefs... or attempting to indoctrinate children into Satanism, and 2.) if Abrahamic elements were allowed to be included, said elements could have been perceived as sacrilegious by some parents.

I doubt Nintendo ever gave a shit about the Muslim community. It's all about appeasing their misconceptions of what "Western values" are.
>>
>>3295589
>It's all about appeasing their misconceptions of what "Western values" are.

sadly it's not too far off.
>>
>>3295356
If you're between buying an N64 cart or getting the remake, I'd recommend the original cart. There's plenty of ports though, including the GCN version with upscaled graphics and the OoT 1.0 version you can install on the Virtual Console if you have a modded Wii. Pick whatever suits you best.
>>
I have a v1.2 OOT that i bought used back in 2002 before i knew about the versions. I think i paid 20 for it. wish I knew then, probably couldve gotten the v1.0 for under 100
>>
>>3295634

I had a 1.1 version I guess (grey cart, red blood), but it got stolen along with mischief makers.
I bought MM back eventually, but never got the original OOT again, I have GC and 3DS versions anyway, but I miss the original, I remember the muslim moon symbol and the fire temple chants and it was disappointing not having them in later revisions.
>>
i gots this on n64 and never whooped the water temple then i done bought it on 3ds and never even whopped the denku tree, i need to whoop out the ol' walkmans and put on "blue monday" by orgy (lmao) and get out the ol' CRT and blip and bloop my way back thru that hunk a junk like it twere 1998! :D
>>
File: 134546544365.jpg (81KB, 999x749px) Image search: [Google]
134546544365.jpg
81KB, 999x749px
I just bought a loose cart, pic related, for $10. US carts are around $25 and I figured I cud use gameshark + code to play in English. Did I do good, anons?
>>
>>3296114

Do japanese carts also have different versions with green blood and changed fire temple music?
Would consider getting a JP OOT cart just for that, I already know all the dialogue and text.
>>
File: 187236842342.jpg (173KB, 799x236px) Image search: [Google]
187236842342.jpg
173KB, 799x236px
>>3296120
My understanding is V1.0, V1.1 and V1.2 are identical between US and JAP releases, bar one byte. The 4 character code that identifies the cart is slightly different and this is what the cart uses to determine default language.
>>
>>3296114
>Do japanese carts also have different versions with green blood and changed fire temple music?

I'm pretty sure they don't. If there were any revisions of the Japanese version, it would likely be limited to bugfixes or special editions.

The only time I remember censorship occurring in Japanese releases is when some subject matter in a game might seem insensitive to Japan-specific events. For instance, the ability to nuke Megaton in Fallout 3 was removed in the Japanese release due to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
>>
You want to get a gold cartridge to insure no changes have been made.
>>
I'm not 100% clear on all the censorship changes to OoT, but if I'm not mistaken, some of them didn't actually occur until the GC re-release, which is by far the most heavily censored version.

Curiously, there are still pools of red blood in areas like the Shadow Temple, or the Bottom of the Well. I'm quite sure they exist in all versions of the game, even the GC re-release. And then there are all the rather gruesome boss deaths, like Volvagia's flesh burning away and leaving behind skeletal remains. Those were complete untouched.
>>
The N64 version is worth owning, yeah. 3DS version makes the Water Temple less tedious due to showing you how to get to the water controls and making the iron boots a regular equippable item.

Really just comes down to how you'd rather play the game.
>>
>>3295371
but to be honest, islamic chants don't fit in a game that is set in a fictional world.

Same with how they're using Fahrenheit as a temperature scale in the new game. It just doesn't fit with Zelda's kind of mystique.
>>
How's the Wii VC version of OoT?
>>
>>3296469
It's pretty good with the gamecube controller. Haven't played the N64 in ages, but I had no problems with the Wii version

The Wii U version though... The analog deadzone is completely fucked. Plus with N64+Gamecube, the analog stick had physical cardinal directions (the octagon around the thumbstick). Wii U is all circular. So even trying to Z+run backwards often results in just moving sideways.
>>
>>3296526

The analog stick feels really off in the GC version. The archery mini game is a lot more bullshit than it should be. The crosshair either wants to jerk your aim way off the side of the screen, or just barely wants to creep along.
>>
>>3296539
I mean, I haven't played the N64 version in 15 years, but I always felt like it had some jank in the bow control. I thought the Wii VC was pretty accurate to what I remembered.

I can say that Wii VC version is without a doubt superior to the Wii U VC though. It's just a chore to move around in the game. When you're trying to carefully move to an edge, you either don't move at all or go full run. There's such a small sweet spot for regular walking, and it's incredibly awkward positioning
>>
>>3296464
>islamic chants don't fit in a game that is set in a fictional world
Doesn't it sound freakin' cool though?
>>
>>3295589
>It's all about appeasing their misconceptions of what "Western values" are.

It's because they dont want any world figures into their game
>>
>>3296757
Oh, fuck yeah. If I didn't know, I would've never assumed.

Which is why I'm very meh on the new zelda's temperature system. I know... /vr/ and all that. It's just a small thing that just doesn't need to be there.
>>
OoT v1.0 > OoT 3DS = OoT Master Quest (GCN) > Wii VC > Wii U VC
>>
>>3296526
Thanks anon. I have a GameCube controller and plan to use it. I know there are injected wads of different versions too, so I've got options.
>>
File: Christianity.png (151KB, 550x720px) Image search: [Google]
Christianity.png
151KB, 550x720px
>>3296778
The Zelda games have always had real-world religious references though. Pic related is from the Japanese manual for A Link to the Past.

The first game even has an item called the Bible, in Japan, at least. In English it's the Magic Book.
>>
>>3295475
Nah, the Fire Temple's music is still great. Less eerie, but still fitting for the tone of the dungeon.
>>
Call me autistic but I really like the increased framerate of the 3DS version. Feels like a new game.
>>
>>3296871
I did not know that, and my initial reaction is to be weirded out.

Why the fuck is Link praying to Jesus though? I just don't understand. I thought the furthest they went with religion was 'catholic style' temple of time and 'evil race of sand people'
>>
>>3297998
The first games were set in a pseudo-medieval European country, hence all the crosses in graveyards. Christianity got retconned out.
>>
>>3296464
>but to be honest, islamic chants don't fit in a game that is set in a fictional world

then I guess there shouldn't be any music in the game, because all the other music is based off of the western musical system.
>>
>>3298026
>western = religion
?

This is a series where people only vocalize through grunts. I'm not saying 'lol y do they speek english tho' -- I believe >>3298001 is the right response. I don't know enough of islam or how those chants equate to being islamic without googling it, but if they do, then yeah, remove them. I'd be more for altering them since they sound cool, but I just don't think real religion fits in Zelda.
>>
So I was emulating OOT I got almost to the end, maybe I have left an hour or two but I don't have a controller at the moment will I fuck up if I do it with the keyboard?
>>
>>3298239
Of course not. Difficulty is minimal. You might have a bit of trouble adapting to the keyboard after playing the whole game with a controller, but it's not hard at all.
>>
>>3298254
Okay because I'm bored as shit right now and might as well finish it.

I think I started in 2010 playing this game, I take my time I'm downloading NFS Hot Persuit 2 to kill time
>>
>>3297998
I think the best explanation is that in Japan, western religions like Christianity are seen as exotic and mystical, the same way many westerners view Buddhism and Shinto etc.
>>
>>3295356
Maybe
>>
>>3298001
>The first games were set in a pseudo-medieval European country, hence all the crosses in graveyards. Christianity got retconned out.
This

Zelda has always had religious undertones. Most prominent in Zelda 1, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>3295567
he's right you know
>>
File: oot-3.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
oot-3.webm
3MB, 640x360px
How did they get away with teaching Christian children about pagan false gods?
>>
>>3298267
>NFS Hot Persuit 2

Mate, just download NFS: High Stakes. Better gameplay, better modability, better vehicle selection and tracks. All it needs is a Win Vista/7/8/10 conversion or re-release.
>>
>>3299275
I really love these parts of OoT
>>
>>3295371
>Yes, even more if you have the OG version with the monk chants and the islam moon.

I like the original also better because master quest is so fucking botched. it's not even much more difficult but just strange.
>>
Does the 1.0 version of OoT really make that much of a difference? I feel like I've missed out on a lot as while I've played it so many times I've only ever played the 50hz PAL versions of games
>>
>>3302786
No, not at all. Just Google the differences.
>>
>>3296757
The shouting of "Allah" and similar phrases is more disturbing for me. The chants without lyrics are better fitting a game with a silent protagonist.
>>
>>3296114
For any interested anons, I was successful in playing the JP cart on US system in English with V3.3 Gameshark. My JP cart is V1.1. I used an alternate enabler (2400) and force English code. The codes I used are:

[code]F10004E4 2400
EE000000 0000
8011BB99 0001[/code]
>>
>>3301778
For some reason I enjoy the water temple a lot more in master quest. It's actually easier than the vanilla version.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.