[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody...ANYBODY enjoy under water stages in video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: 1452744739065.gif (354KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452744739065.gif
354KB, 500x300px
Does anybody...ANYBODY enjoy under water stages in video games?
>>
I do.
>>
DKC had GOAT underwater stages. What are some other games that did it right?
>>
Although I find the game "meh", Vectormans 2nd stage which was mostly underwater was pritty gud.
>>
>>3293247
I do, but I prefer sewer stages.
>>
>>3293247
dumb meme
>>
>>3293256
Sonic 2 & 3&K
>>
What's wrong with underwater stages again?
>>
They're great if it's a platformer and suddenly you can jump way higher, like Mega Man or (post-Gravity Suit) Metroid. Not as much when they completely change the dynamic and feel of the game with a whole new control scheme and hazards everywhere, like most games, though Mario and DK usually do it pretty well in that way at least.
>>
>>3293306
Slow, and hard. If you think about it some of the hardest levels are underwater levels.
>>
File: 1409105328988.gif (753KB, 269x507px) Image search: [Google]
1409105328988.gif
753KB, 269x507px
>>3293306
Aquas in starfox 64 slows the pace of the game by quite a bit.

Or maybe it's not that. Maybe it's because of how the missles work that I dislike the level.
>>
>>3293306
Some youtuber who sucks at video games complained about them and so underages who had never played any old games thought that that was how they were supposed to feel about them.
>>
>>3293316
People have ALWAYS hated water levels. I remember Nintendo Power always making jokes about it in the late 90's/early 00's. Perhaps you're the one who's underage?
>>
>>3293339
Not him, but I never hated underwater levels I did always found them annoying, but not enough to hate them.
>>
>>3293316
You're the real underage
>>
Labyrinth Zone is one of my favourite Sonic stages.
>>
>>3293342
Fair, I don't necessarily hate them either, it's all based on execution. Hydrocity in Sonic 3 is actually one of my favorite vidya levels of all time, it's extremely fast paced but still a legit "water level."
>>
Aesthetically yes, mechanically no.
>>
>>3293316
I never knew any kid who liked underwater levels....what's fun about going slow as fuck or being in like 90 percent more risk of dying at times because of lack of offensive capability

Me and my friends used to flip a coin to decide who had to play through them, or strategically die on purpose to force turns
>>
Yeah, I do.
>>
File: s3-hz-summaryimg.png (10KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
s3-hz-summaryimg.png
10KB, 320x224px
GOAT water level coming through, don't mind me gotta go fast.
>>
The spyro games had the best underwater segments; they were actually my favorite parts of the game.

They were very fast and had really tight controls compared to any other game's swimming.
>>
File: smwsoda.jpg (120KB, 899x673px) Image search: [Google]
smwsoda.jpg
120KB, 899x673px
Super Mario World has great underwater controls, I never minded underwater stages in it.
>>
>>3293256
Poison Pipeline from DKC3 was awful.

>how can we make swimming more cumbersome?
>reverse the controls!
>>
>>3293503
Seriously this.
I dare anyone to find a game with better 3D underwater controls. Non-retro included. I would love to hear it.
>>
>>3293247
I enjoy them 2bh

cuz im not a casual lil bitchass homo lmao
>>
>>3293642
Maybe that level is a clunker, but I appreciate the variety some of those gimmicks brought to DKC3 all the same. Anyway, I was primarily talking about the first game.
>>
I like em in most games. In Sonic games water can really change up the dynamic and your play style, so they're refreshing if not overdone. Even Water Temple is pretty cool the first time you play it.
>>
Not retro but I really liked Vash'jir in WoW, being able to move very fast improves water levels.
>>
>>3293527
I like the 3 degrees of swim strength - while holding down, while holding up and just normal swimming. Very nimble if mastered.
>>
2D water level = ok
3DPD water level = no gooood
>>
>>3293247
Bubble man stage from MM2 is good
>>
>>3293491
Worst level in the game.
>>
I really liked the one in Dino Crisis 2, but that's about it.
>>
More importantly, when did this meme of "ice levels are shit" come from? I always loved ice levels but I only ever hear bitching about ice levels. I never had any problem adjusting to the higher momentum, but apparently it's too much for people now?
>>
>>3293278
This.

It's just a Youtube meme that's become "common knowledge" among people who love retro games but don't actually play them.
>>
>>3294224
No, you're just a contrarian retard special snowflake.

I LIKE CRAP GAME MECHANICS CUZ IM A REAL GAMER
Get fucked, autism attention whore
>>
>>3294237
>le autism meme

Epic win, my /b/rother
>>
>>3294197
Ice physics is different from ice levels though.
>>
>>3294197
Shitty ice momentum physics make them more annoying than difficult, but that's pretty much only in 3d games.

Crash 2 is a really good example for this. Ice in 3D areas is an absolute cunt to move around on unless you're crawling because you skid around uncontrollably.
In the 2D areas is way better though, 2D is much more conducive to slipping on ice at sanic speeds
>>
>>3293827
That's not Sandopolis.
>>
underwater levels are the best
reminds me of the days I spent underwater as a kid.
>>
>>3293247
The ones in SMB are my favourite part of the game.
>>
>>3293247
I love the world 3 in smb 3
>>
Water stages tend to also be coupled with instant death mechanics, which I think is the true source of their frustration. Water level design over all across your mario and megaman like games are pretty unoriginal and bland and never brought anything new to the table until games went 3D.
>>
Fuck Clanker's Cavern.
>>
>>3293247
Dire dire docks is p good
>>
>>3293247
No but because they're unpopular that means some retard here will claim they were always good and everyone loved them until an eceleb expressed their hatred towards them.
>>
World of Illusion had a great underwater stage.
>>
>>3293247
OP i fully understand you.

Water Levels sucks so hard.

Everytime i play a new game and i have to go underwater i think: "Please, no!"
Underwater sucked in:
Super Metroid
Duke Nukem 3D
System Shock 2
WoW
Every other game.

I found especially in 3d games it very confusing. I think that is also a reason that i fucking hated descent.
>>
>>3293247
Mario is pretty much the only series that ever did it right. Donkey Kong Country came closest.
>>
File: 1465268618526.jpg (217KB, 615x407px) Image search: [Google]
1465268618526.jpg
217KB, 615x407px
As long as the threat of drowning is manageable or voided and the controls aren't too slow, then it's alright.

Really though, some great music comes from water levels:

https://youtu.be/VE5rbPpQvUQ
https://youtu.be/3AkX3I41TOY
https://youtu.be/g5ZA905tHZE
https://youtu.be/dK4KwDKRiIA
>>
I actually enjoyed the dam stage in TMNT. I still think it's the most fun stage on the game and yes, I was quite surprised to find out that everyone seems to have trouble with it.
>>
File: 1441358234894.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1441358234894.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>3293247
They terrify me especially on the NES
All that harsh monotone blue and spooky creepy music.
>>
>>3297603
Underwater in Super Metroid isn't supposed to be fun to highlight the gravity suit.
>>
it's not entirely underwater but bubble mans stage in mega man 2 is one of the comfiest stages in all of vidya for me.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.