[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has Nintendo been unable to surpass it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: zelda2.jpg (88KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
zelda2.jpg
88KB, 640x905px
Why has Nintendo been unable to surpass it?
>>
I dunno, OP. Skyward Sword is a pretty crappy game which came close, but you're right, Adventures of Link wasn't surpassed yet as the crappiest.
>>
>>3292032
Because Zelda 2 was made without the expectation of it following a certain railroad/mindset.

It's unironically my favorite Zelda game. ALttP and OOT are great games and deserve the praise they get, but AoL's is still my favorite.
>>
>>3292116
>Zelda 2
>shit
Cool bandwagon opinion, memelord.
>>
>>3292143
>Zelda 2
>Not shit
Cool bandwagon opinion, memelord.
>>
>>3292143
>>3292197
Now kiss
>>
>>3292197
Name 1 bad thing about Adventures of Link. Protip: being different from the other Zeldas is not a bad thing.
>>
>>3292240
poor graphics, terrible combat, badly thought out rpg elements. theres literally nothing good about it.
>>
>>3292246
>poor graphics
I actually agree with this

>terrible combat
I'm bad at games: the post
>>
>>3292246
>poor graphics
Only on the overworld. Looks good in the side-scrolling parts.

>terrible combat
More engaging combat than the top-down Zelda games.

>badly thought out rpg elements
Explain. You kill stuff, earn XP, and learn new skills from it. Standard RPG fair.
>>
>>3292032
the new zelda is going to dethrone it
>>
File: 1444578140467.gif (14KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1444578140467.gif
14KB, 500x596px
>>3294395
>summoning /vr/'s opinion on botw
I'm anxious to be honest
>>
>>3294416
you should check out the E3 thread here and see how bad it got
>>
>>3294416
i don't see why /vr/ would have a problem with it
apart from the obvious
>>
>>3294416
Here's a summary of /vr/-think:

Did it come out before 1995? It's good.

Did it come out between 1995-2005? It's overrated.

Did it come out after 2005? IT'S CASUAL BABBY MODE SHIT NOT-RETRO REEEE
>>
HOLOGRAMS DON'T BELONG IN ZELDA
BLUE AND ORANGE? WHAT THE FUCK. I'M TRYING TO PLAY ZELDA, NOT FUCKING PORTAL.

GOD DAMMIT FUCK THIS SHIT, RUINED FOREVER
>>
Zelda has been such a consistently good series

even Mario has had weak entries
>>
>>3294510
This is gonna be the FF7 of Zelda. The franchise is entering the tech age.
>>
>>3294526
Whether that's a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen
>>
>>3294526
there were already robots and shit in skyward sword though
>>
>>3292032

Super Metroid is a better Nintendo-produced non-linear 2D action-adventure game than Zelda 2 by miles. I like Zelda 2 but this isn't even debatable.
>>
>>3294416
Are you the guy that typed out an autistic rant on why that penguin reaction is a favorite to be used on here?
>>
It's funny how non-retro gamers pick up Zelda II and their first impression tends to be, "Wow, this is like the Dark Souls of older games!"

Maybe I should start by introducing them to Ghosts 'n Goblins instead.
>>
>>3298353
No.
But I'd eat popcorn to a /vr/ thread of people explaining why the new zelda is shit because it's not exactly like their favorite zelda game.
>>
>>3294515

Some of the recent stuff is pretty bad (in my opinion). Skyward Sword was a flaming turd, DS Zeldas are touch-only chodes (even the romhacks don't really fix them), and Twilight Princess feels like a bad, cheesy anime no matter what system you play it on. Minish Cap was sort of okay but again, felt super cheesy like a bad christmas movie due to all the cutesy elf bullshit.

Wind Waker's the only good original game, the 3DS ones are alright but two are ports and the other's basically a homage.

All the main /vr/ Zeldas are great though.

>inb4 philips cdi
>>
>>3298360
Zelda 2 is closer to Dark Souls because you're trying to gain levels before dying and losing your points.
>>
>>3298378
this is correct.
>>
>>3298369
Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks were fun.
Not my favorites, but like the guy you replied to said, even the so called "shitty" games are good.
>>
>>3298346
Super Metroid is too boring and easy though. At least Zelda II has some actually challenging moments.
>>
>>3292032
It's not the best Zelda game, but it doesn't deserve the hate

Also it has the best boss fight of the series with Dark Link
>>
>>3298369
Are those bs entries worse than some of the particularly lousy or at least uninspired Mario games?
>>
>>3294416
Skyward Sword single-handedly killed any faith or enthusiasm I had in the series, and that BotW trailer single-handedly revived it. If they wanted to mix the formula up, this seems like a great way to do it.

I really, honestly hope that it will be a good game. On some level, I even believe that it will be a good game. I don't know why though. On another level, I know that Nintendo will simply disappoint me again. That's all they know how to do these days.
>>
>>3298416
It's hard to compare since they're different genres, but I would say
New Super Mario Bros Wii > Spirit Tracks > Phantom Hourglass >= New Super Mario Bros 2
>>
>>3292263
>I'm bad at games: the post
projection: the post
>>
>>3292032
Because Nintendo will probably never make a game that bad ever again.
>>
>>3294416

What is the penguin eating? Looks like one of those heart-shaped candies.
>>
>>3298434
Then let's see some actual reasons how the combat is designed poorly, or else we're going to jump to the obvious conclusion.
>>
>>3298494

You could argue that jump stabbing your way through the game being a nessecity is bad design. But then again you don't really have to engage with every enemy you encounter. I'm pretty sure you were meant to avoid certain situations. Like those blue knights that chuck lances
>>
File: z2towns_saria2.gif (20KB, 276x242px) Image search: [Google]
z2towns_saria2.gif
20KB, 276x242px
>>3292240

I got some:
>Finding Bagu in the forest is utter shit, there should have been more mentioning about that.

>Epilepsie trigger death

>Reuse of permaspam enemies in random events and castle

>random events (the 3 black enemies on the overworld) pretty repetitive and boring

>Mirror under table

>Using last spell for 2 stupid triggers and that is it

>glitched endboss; lots of glitches

>the extra life-system wasn't really well put together

>can't debuff faery spell - only when leaving screen (makes no sense)

I like the game, had it since it came out and played the heck out of it. But saying it is perfection is laughable. That said i would like to see a new sidescroll Zelda game, could be pretty neat.
>>
>>3298573
You forgot finding the lost child, figuring out that you can go through certain walls, and finding the hidden village.
>>
>>3298573

I do agree that the adventure elements sucked dick. Yet it's not because they're bad per se some of them were pretty cool in concept and were carried over and expanded upon in later Zelda games, the writing is what really let these elements down the most. Plus these elements do add some variety away from just battling in a way that wasn't really a thing on most NES games at the time. In fact all Zeldas have at least one part where you have no clue what to do next and barely any hints. Like with lord Jabu Jabu in OoT or defrosting Zoras in TP with a rock from death mountain. Zeldas are chuck full of these, gotta try everything in your inventory to procceed moments, the games teach it to you from the start. They also teach you that there are secrets everywhere especially in places that seem out of place.

When it comes to the fairy spell, some of the rooms were designed around the fairy spell not being debuffable and it prevented the player from abusing the spell too much, it is after all easy mode that lets you skip a big chunk of challenging rooms. So limits were put in place another one being the high magic cost.

The respawn enemies were there to give you magic jars, it was annoying as fuck having to grind for them, but devs were kinda lending you a hand there, so that you won't get completely screwed when you run out of magic in a dungeon.

The overworld enemies were there to help you grind up XP bags if you needed, they are easy enough to avoid engaging in combat. Also a chance to regen your health if you were patient enough to get a fairy to appear. The fairies are also a reason why extra lives are barely a thing and act more like a magic potion in Zelda 1. You also have infinit continues anyways.

Zelda 2 is actually a well thought out game. It just takes some time to take advantage of all of its mechanics. I'd never get through it without a guide, but i can still appreciate these elements.
>>
>>3298494
>or else we're going to jump to the obvious conclusion.
Like you being a retard?
>>
>>3298412
I think it is the creepiest and mystical the most out of all of them.
>>
>>3292032
It's too hard. You could make his sword 1.5x longer and the game would be a lot more manageable. As it is, even the first temple place has enemies that button read you and their weapons are exactly as long as yours.
>>
>>3292032
I think a lot of what came after had a focus on graphics. I remember this general couple of years as the turning point in console gaming, and, shortly after, on PC as well. When the expectations for graphics are relatively low they have to focus on mechanics, level design, etc, to bring the spice. They can't do just an OK job and let particle physics whitewash the remainder. It has to be excellent. Once it became easy to add fancy graphics the effort split into mechanics and design fell apart until, fast forward, you're basically just watching a movie in some modern games with the periodic option to run from one movie checkpoint to the other.
>>
>>3298947

Fighting enemies on equal terms is not a bad thing though.
>>
File: 940433-feu.jpg (111KB, 638x902px) Image search: [Google]
940433-feu.jpg
111KB, 638x902px
I got a better question. Why is Faxanadu such a better game even though they're basically the same?
>>
>>3301462
Faxanadu has a tiny world though
>>
>>3301374

>When the expectations for graphics are relatively low

graphicsfags have always existed. consoles were named after fucking bits. nowadays i'd say that people consider graphics less important than they ever did, considering how much attention indie games get.
>>
>>3292116
>>3292197
>>3292246
>>3298434
>>3298783

I want /v/ and underage to leave
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.