[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comfy Game Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: alex kidd.gif (18KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
alex kidd.gif
18KB, 500x576px
Stupid question but what do you guys consider a "comfy" game? I mean I think I have a general idea of it but I'm not exactly to sure. also feel free to suggest any games that fit the category.
>>
>>3291860
Depends on my mood.

My ultimate comfy game is Final Fantasy Tactics.

But it can be anything if you're in the right mood. I find games like Resident Evil really comfy most of the time.

I think comfy is usually synonymous with "familiar" and "enjoyed it" kind of games. I can sit down and beat Mega Man X without thinking, so does that count as comfy? I guess.

If you're talking light hearted and easy games then theres a bunch.
>>
>>3291865
oh, well that makes sense, I mean in that case I'm pretty familiar with Yume Penguin Monogatari and can beat it quickly... also it's pretty easy as a whole so I guess that's a good one. Also, pic related I guess because Miracle world is decently comfy.
>>
Mega Man 7 always feels really comfy.

Playing it right now actually.
>>
>>3291915
That's like the worst megaman.
>>
>>3291916
TAKE YOUR UNCOMFY POSTS OUT OF THE COMFY THREAD
>>
>>3291916
7 was good but I always felt 2 was comfier... but 7 probably wins objectively
>>
File: 2838425-superpinballii002[1].png (79KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
2838425-superpinballii002[1].png
79KB, 768x672px
>>3291860
The concept I have of "comfy" is something I can play while being relaxed, let's say, while drinking some tea on my sofa or when in bed.

In my case, some examples are: Super mario RPG, Fallout (1,2,tactics), Ogre battle and a few more.

Not only turn based, but some "not hardcore" games as well, like pinballs or games like Kirby Superstar
>>
>>3291860
Not Alex Kidd in Miracle World that's for sure. Most of it is a chore.
>>
File: kirby.png (7KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
kirby.png
7KB, 512x448px
For me it's a game that let's me play at my own pace (kinda), doesn't involve fast reflexes and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. That's not to say an easy game, or non-game.

The way I see it, they're the kind of games that you enjoy on a lazy sunday in summer.

Pic related
>>
>>3291860
Shenmue when you're just walking around the town is extremely comfy.

Also, can comfy games include games with really good atmosphere?
>>
File: file.png (487KB, 610x349px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
487KB, 610x349px
It's just a vague term people use to mean games they enjoy.

>>3292109
That's about the same definition I use. It's games I don't really have to think about while playing, or button mash, and things that aren't very competitive too. It's like the difference between a movie you find exciting and a movie you can watch to completely zone out. Games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing do it for meespecially because they have no real goals, but Kirby is a very comfy series too. Most RPGs are so repetitive and relaxing for me too and well as Digimon World.

>>3292136
I think that's a big part of what can make games so relaxing/cozy/comfy/whatever, especially when the music is good. I love games set in fantasy forests, comfy small rural villages and beaches.
>>
>>3292153
I think it means a combination of engrossing and unexciting, with an aesthetic that tends to make one relaxed rather than tense.

I think of it as kind of a grid with two axes:
engrossing to unengrossing
exciting to unexciting

Exciting and unengrossing would be like Worms: Armageddon with friends.

Exciting and engrossing would be a really challenging FPS or platformer or any other game that gets your heart pumping or and makes you tune everything else out.

Engrossing but not exciting would be turn-based RPGs, games that are really easy or you've beaten a bunch of times, basically games that are good but don't have a high chance of failure due to relaxing too much or being inattentive. These would be games that are prime to be "comfy," but the aesthetic has to be one that is likely to make a person relaxed as well. So a horror game probably isn't comfy even if it has all the other elements.

Games that are neither engrossing nor exciting probably suck, or are just good for a few minutes of time-killing at once.
>>
For me it's a game I can buy 100 of at 50 cents each, and then sit wrapped in a blanket while they appreciate in price to at least $50 each. Long live retro gaming, "man"!
>>
Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening=Comfy

Harvest Moon= Comfy

For me comfy is retro pixel art. Small villages & weather. Also comfy used to be a term during a snowy winter or rainy day. Ultimate comfy for me is a cold snowy day in Colorado. Under a warm blanket with a warm mug of tea playing an old SNES game.Having my cat snuggled next to me.
>>
Some that's familiar and predictable.

Not too challenging but challenging enough that you will want to attempt something crazy and keep attempting it until you get it perfect.

A good 2D sidescroller like Yoshi's Island or Wonder Boy does it for me.
>>
For me, comfy is the kind of game I can play all afternoon and not care about anything.
Usually fairly easy, but challenging enough to make me feel good about myself.
Usually slow-paced or something I can complete in my sleep.

More often than not, it's just something I played as a kid and think back on how I'd keep my whole Sunday evening free (after my obligatory sunday bath) to play SNES, knowing this is the most videogames I'll get to play all week.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 472x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 472x640px
>>
>>3291860
Kirby's Adventure

Its relaxing and fun to play O.o
>>
>>3291860
Any game that has at least one area where you could stop and just take it in and think 'I could live here' qualifies as comfy, to me.
>>
>>3293825
sounds interesting, any examples?
>>
>>3293836
Gone Home. I wish I lived in a place where women were treated as human beings.
>>
>>3293838
what? are you living in the middle east or?
women are treated as human beings in the civilized parts of the world
>>
lmao pixelguy979
>>
Postal 2, very comfy game that makes me relaxed every time I play it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JddLqcEAbx0
>>
>>3293847
Dude American women are the most oppressed in the world
>>
Harvest Moon 64
Yoshi Story

>>3293873
Not that anon, and not to derail the thread, but you can actually have criticism of the way certain people are treated in one place while still acknowledging other things are far worse elsewhere.
>>
>>3291865
nah comfy: as in not contra or ikaruga I think of comfy as not too fast paced not too annoying and hell maybe even on the easy side so for that the ultimate comfy games are to me Pokemon/ Kirby/ Final fantasy/ >>3291865
one anon said Resident Evil and the music and tank controls kinda do in fact make it very comfy.
>>
File: Genaromov.jpg (41KB, 625x322px) Image search: [Google]
Genaromov.jpg
41KB, 625x322px
>>3293838
tipping me'ladies fedoras early today white knight?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.