[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /vr/'s thoughts on emulation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 1463858386643.png (1MB, 1411x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463858386643.png
1MB, 1411x1080px
What are /vr/'s thoughts on emulation?
>>
It's something that exists and has varying degrees of functionality depending on the system and game. A lot of people are benefited from it, being able to play games without owning them or the systems in different other devices.

Filters are silly as what really matters is the physical screen you're using.
>>
Great. Not as good as the real hardware, but being able to play games is always a great thing.
>>
>easy access to 60hz games when living in 50hz territories
>online play
>translations, romhacks
>easy access to expensive games, games unavailable in your region, or simply just insanely rare or expensive (for these last two points, you can do the same on console but only by buying a 100 bucks flashcart.. per system)
>Play with any pad you want. Don't like the squareness of the NES pad? Use a PS1 pad instead.
>Have to leave quickly? Can just save on the fly and come back to it later, no need to leave the console turned on

These are facts.
>>
It's a great way to get around overpaying reseller scum for retro games. Although all the politics surrounding the emulation and ROM-hacking scene - and the emulation shills that spam /vr/ on a frequent basis - are pretty retarded. I just steer clear of that drama and pick emulators based on my own compatibility and performance tests.

I do invest in real hardware when it's affordable. PS1 seems to be really inexpensive at the moment, aside from a select few games. You can easily find a PSOne for under or around $20. Anything else, I'll probably emulate. Rather than dropping $100+ on some eBay reseller's beat up console, it would be cheaper to invest in an old computer that you could rig to your TV via a VGA cable, and use it exclusively as an emulation device.
>>
>>3291823
>have the high quality picture via emulation
>still chooses to put a scanline filter on it

i dont get this. It's like someone taking a DVD and recording it onto a VHS to watch it
>>
File: 1463958809442.png (228KB, 1550x816px) Image search: [Google]
1463958809442.png
228KB, 1550x816px
Inaccuracies
>>
>>3291914
>Inaccuracies

In what? Palettes? Emulators generally do allow you to define custom palettes.
>>
>>3291823
I'm happy that emulation exists so that poor black people can experience things that cost money.
>>
>>3291930
FOOOOOOOOOOOR YOU
>>
File: 1465873818218.png (2MB, 1172x896px) Image search: [Google]
1465873818218.png
2MB, 1172x896px
>>3291914
You don't like it blood red?
>>
>>3291823
>What are /vr/'s thoughts on emulation
Just as stupid as any /vr/'s thoughts
>>
>>3291823
All day every day.

I've still got my NES and SNES, but they stay boxed up.
>>
it's really good in the long run. Allows a lot of video games to be archived in a way.

Even if there are no more cartridges out in the wild there's still emulation.
>>
>>3291835
This. Originals are the best, emulation is still great though.

Clone consoles are the only shit option - you either go full hardware or full emulation, none of this middle shit.
>>
Emulation is great. Most consoles save for ones like the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 are emulated very accurately. I love emulation because you don't have to deal with getting jewed on high prices for games and consoles. Even better is ROM hacks for extra content like more levels.
>>
File: Retron is....png (128KB, 648x4800px) Image search: [Google]
Retron is....png
128KB, 648x4800px
>>
>>3293340
This. The Raspeberry Pi has been a godsend to me as far as emulation. Being able to effectively have access to an entire system's library with a couple clicks means I am able to live out my childhood dream of owning every game there is. If they had something like this available when I was a kid, I never would have left my bedroom! LOL
>>
>>3293459
>Actually being OK with outrageous prices that reseller jews went you to pay for
>>
>>3293467
It's ridiculous how much people charge for games that aren't worth as much as they think it is. But people are buying them still.
Thats why I just decided fuck it and I started to buy the Japanese carts. Almost always cheaper.
>>
>>3293459
Do you even realize how much the prices go up from year to year?

Do you?
>>
>>3293459
>being practical is a bad thing
>not having collector autism is a bad thing
>not being you is a bad thing
I want you to leave.
>>
>>3291823
Prevents retro from falling into oblivion.
>>
>>3295036
Did you mean "it's killing retro gaming"?
>>
>>3295049
Buttblasted collectorfag detected. Was paying $500 for your latest game worth it?
>>
>>3291832
First reply you got was the only one you needed, OP.

But of course, you just wanted people fighting over ebay prices and filters, didn't you?
>>
>>3295063
And why was it the only reply needed, because it makes your opinion feel validated?

Kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
>playing $200 games for free
>with infinte graphics options and full accuracy%

Nah, i want to pay $100 for a shitbound case in case i ever find the cartridge and manual, cuck. I mean kek.
>>
File: dino3d1.jpg (1MB, 1275x1665px) Image search: [Google]
dino3d1.jpg
1MB, 1275x1665px
>>3295401

>It's something that exists

How is that an opinion?
>>
>>3295050
Buttasted poorfag detected that can't even afford original hardware and a flash cart.
>>
File: 1229810518229.jpg (135KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1229810518229.jpg
135KB, 1200x1200px
>>3295457
>>
>>3294998
Collecting is better than emulation retard. You're disrespecting the creators and you're not playing the game properly. Games were meant to be played on hardware that only the ones who had the privilege to own a copy was allowed to be allowed to play, not filthy casuals like you. We got all these stupid /v/ kids ruining video games because of emulation. God you disgust me. If you're too poor to pay a few hundred for being allowed play these classic games, buy a flash cart. But if you emulate, go back to /v/.
>>
>>3296353
Chumming the water with shitty bait m8.
>>
>>3296360
It's not bait
>>
>>3296293
Cheap Chinese flashcarts are the jam, hombre. Get enlightened.
>>
>>3293459
>implying absurd prices is the only issue pointed by these posts

Try actually reading the posts you quote before showing your stupidity.
>>
>>3296378
Give me a break, they're only absurd if you're poor.
>>
>>3293118
What about full hardware + flashcarts?
>>
>>3296408
Still middle. Either emulate or use the original CDs or carts
>>
>>3291823
wtf is that scanline shit, gross
>>
>>3291823
I can't get MvC to work on MAME, it just keeps saying that I'm missing ROM or CHD images. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
>>
File: Black-wii_01.jpg (31KB, 730x654px) Image search: [Google]
Black-wii_01.jpg
31KB, 730x654px
I have a modest collection of retro vidya. But I straight up do all my playing via my Wii. I've never had any problems with any games I've played. And notice no differences from the physical games I own. Controller is perfect and all 2nd - 4th gen I play run smoothly. Also being able to play it on a CRT tv makes it more comfy. I would be doing flashcarts, but for the moment, this is the best option for me.
>>
>>3293393
Pretty much.

The Retron is just a hardware emulator that you paid money for, you still need the original cartridges, so what's the point? It has none of the benefits of the real deal (accuracy, graphics, tactile feel) and also none of the benefits of emulation (plugins, romhacks, save states, cheats).

Chances are you already have either; a desktop/laptop, an old PSP, a Wii, an Xbox, etc. so emulation is free and better than anything the Retron could do. Fuck the Retron.
>>
>>3296408
That guy, I don't have a problem with it. Who cares?
>>
>>3291914
For some reason, I've alwaysreally liked the way games looked on the Wii VC. I keep trying to find a way to make retroarch bnes look like it, but no success. Guess I'll have to keep the accurate look.
>>
>>3291823
Superior than hardware, especially for systems that are extremely well emulated.
>>
File: lanchitavicio.jpg (26KB, 403x437px) Image search: [Google]
lanchitavicio.jpg
26KB, 403x437px
>>3298656
>Superior than hardware

overclocked shenanigans and maximizing resolutions doesn't mean it's better than the actual hard, don't be retarded
>>
>>3298656
I like emulation because I hate the reseller jews and paying a lot of money for 20+ year old vidya doesn't feel worth it, but the original Hardware will always be a better experience than emulation. Thankfully most consoles are emulated very close with usually just little things here and there to complain about.
>>
>>3298668
Yes it does
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.