[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speculative History: Nintendo Playstation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: SNES-PlayStation.jpg (27KB, 616x347px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-PlayStation.jpg
27KB, 616x347px
Imagine if Nintendo stayed true to their deal with Sony (ie: didn't go to bed with Phillips to father the bastard child that was the CD-I) and the Playstation was produced as intended.

I speculate the console would've singlehandedly dominated the market and laid waste to the competition. Sega Saturn would've never seen the light of day, and it's possible the company would've been acquired by Sony or Nintendo.

Would the console have been too successful for its own good? Would Nintendo have to be forcibly broken up to prevent a monopoly?

I welcome your opinions, /vr/.
>>
How was the whole deal with Sony thing? Is there any actual documentation on the matter, or just stuff written by journalists?
I remember reading Nintendo signed first, didn't saw the small letter which said every CD game for the Nintendo PlayStation would go 100% profit to Sony, how true is that?

I don't know anyway, it's hard to imagine what would have happened, the Nintendo PS would have still been a Super Nintendo with CD capabilities, I think eventually Sega would release the Saturn to compete against it, since the Sony PS1 wouldn't exist yet.
>>
>>3291791
>cd media in the mid 90s

segacd with better marketing and less shitt FMV. probably more animu fmv instead
>>
>>3291802
>Is there any actual documentation on the matter, or just stuff written by journalists?
Almost all my information comes from articles on the matter. I've been unable to locate any primary sources or other direct links.
>>
>>3291791
It would've been a failed addon.
>>
>>3291886
How so?
>>
>>3291886
>>3291893
>>
>>3291893
Look how bad the Jaguar, CDI, and Sega CD flopped. Because of these poorly marketed consoles and bad games, Nintendo probably believed it was the CD concept that was turning people off, and went back to cartridges.
>>
>>3293594
And look how PC Engine CD didn't flop, in japan at least.
>>
>>3293605
Nintendo was beginning to learn how important the Western Market was.

I'm not saying I'm correct, just speculating.
>>
Practically it would have had the Playstation specs at least how I would see it. I mean the Sony version was exactly what was intended in the first place now without Nintendo. Imagine how the new Mario and Zelda would have been like on that system.
>>
>>3293594
snescd (probably) would have just been a cd drive plus ram to load stuff into, the segacd has that plus a cpu, a sound chip and a gfx chip. clearly a snes cd would have been a lot cheaper than the sega cd.

the sega cd has all that stuff in it to try and bring up its special features to that of a stock snes so there was some method to the madness.
arguably the snes would benefit less from a pile of chips in a cd addon, except for raw processing (superfx and friends) because it already has most of the good stuff. this also means pushing out a cd addon just for better music and video clips makes less sense - notice nintendo didnt adopt this for the n64, they didnt think it was worth it even for the next gen

the most important outcome from a sony+nintendo cd unit would be the saturn wouldn't have to fight against the playstation
>>
>>3293594
>Jag
Had a horrible reputation not to mention that the CD drive was very unreliabe and had about 14 games tops.

>CD-i
Did really try to be gaming console until later on.

>Sega CD
Actually didn't flop, but was full of FMV shit.
>>
>>3291791
It depends on how close it was to the real playstation.
>>
nintendo would still be seen as a man's console and not a wussy baby toys for tots goo goo ga ga ooga booga mashine and sega would be under a bridge drinkin moonshine and be crappin bloody stools in the woods lmao :D
>>
File: file.png (329KB, 420x463px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
329KB, 420x463px
The Yoshi jump is literally what Sony was planning on doing. The Play Station's games would have been compatible with Sony's new console, since Sony owned the rights to the game format, not Nintendo. So their own self-developed console was going to have an unfair advantage against Nintendo's console with all these prior games being able to work on them.

Ironically enough, Sony dominated the market in spite of this plan falling through.
>>
>>3291791
Nintendo rejected it as you could not use extra chips with it and game sizes were capped off at 256KB when carts could have extra hardware (Super FX) and can be much bigger (6MB).
>>
>>3293634
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Nintendo Playstation was just an SNES add-on. Akin to the Sega CD.
It would not have been a full new leap in console generation.

Not to mention, even if it would have replaced the PSX and N64 in history, it would not have been as powerful as either.
Especially the N64 which had years of delays.
>>
>>3293717
You realize that Nintendo has been seen as the kiddy system since the SNES/Genesis days? Arguably since the NES/Master System days.
>>
>>3295415

Actual normal people see any video game as a kiddy thing.
Besides, it's not like Sega doesn't have its share of cutesy kiddy games like Wonder boy in Monster Land, Fantasy Zone or Sonic (and they're all good games). Same as Nintendo having games like Metroid or F-Zero that aren't kiddy. Also from my own experience, N64 was kind of a popular console with many people including older guys because of the multiplayer.
When I was a kid, we had both N64 and PS1, my brother (older than me) and his friends always used the N64 more due to Goldeneye/Wrestling/Racing/etc games in 4-players, while I was playing anime games on PS1 (DBZ Legends, Macross VFX, etc).

Nintendo tries to be as neutral as possible when it comes to age appeal, they're more like Ghibli than Disney to me, but I guess NoA was a lot stricter with that kind of thing, in Japan they seem to have been more carefree with suggestive themes in games.
>>
>>3291791

Sony first proposed a joint console to Sega.

It could have been a Sega PlayStation vs Nintendo.
>>
>>3295079
>CD
>capped off at 256KB
What?
>>
>>3293594

I refused to buy a PS1 for years due to loading times (+ high cost).

Kiosks in stores were my main source of info c. 1997, and the PS1 games were always some shitty racing game that had 60-90 second loading times before you hit the track (at least they felt like they were that long). My mom would get bored and drag me away before I could even get to gameplay, whereas with N64 I could get in a few wall jumps, ground pounds etc in that same time frame.

I've gotten into PS1 lately, and I now realize the top-tier games (THPS, Spyro, Crash, FF7, MGS) aren't bad at all.
>>
>>3295607
Stop arguing semantics autist-chan.
Also, your experience with your small group of friends does not change the actual public consensus on perception from the time.
I was a huge Nintendo fanboy back in the day when I played video games, but to claim Nintendo hasn't been seen as the kiddy option for decades now is just ridiculous.
>>
>>3291802
I'm pretty sure huge corporations and their legal teams don't simply fail to notice some small print in a contract.
>>
>>3298384
>small group of friends

My small group of friends are all vidya junkies, they don't care about the general public opinion.

Actual people IRL outside of internet forums and "geek" communities online think video games as a whole are a waste of time and mostly for kids or teens. Get any random person on the street and tell them you take gaming seriously and they will roll their eyes.
Most older people's exposure to video games is playing chess or poker on their phones, anything else look silly to them.

I'm not saying the whole "nintendo is kiddie" thing doesn't exist, but it's something from within the vidya community.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.