[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a better retro game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: mgs.jpg (66KB, 484x484px) Image search: [Google]
mgs.jpg
66KB, 484x484px
Name a better retro game.
>>
Mario Bros.
>>
>>3288236
PROTIP:

I can't.
>>
MGS is one of the games responsible for turning modern videogames into barely interactive movies so no.
>>
>>3288251
The balance of narrative vs gameplay has been contended since the days of text adventures and point and click.

MGS was successful in raising the narrative bar to cinematic ambitions while at the same time introducing an uncommon type of gameplay of well polished standards.
>>
File: MSX_Magazine_199106_029.jpg (1MB, 1496x1942px) Image search: [Google]
MSX_Magazine_199106_029.jpg
1MB, 1496x1942px
>>3288236
/thread
>>
File: BzrKNxQCUAI2tG0.jpg orig.jpg (208KB, 811x1024px) Image search: [Google]
BzrKNxQCUAI2tG0.jpg orig.jpg
208KB, 811x1024px
>>3288251
>>3288296
>The balance of narrative vs gameplay has been contended since the days of text adventures and point and click.
This. Snatcher was way more cinematic than MGS1 and that's even older.
>>
>>3288317
Snatcher wasn't all that popular compared to MGS.
>>
MGS truly was the beginning of what is generally considered to be the "modern cinematic game" so it's divisive as hell. That's probably OP's intention for this thread.

I personally never got that into MGS but it's easy to see how it was a natural progression for the franchise into the 3D space and the multimedia potential of CD - well conceived and well designed. The first stealth game I personally enjoyed was Tenchu though.

There are certainly many retro games that AS GAMES stand head and shoulders above any Metal Gear game.
>>
>>3288317
>>3288315
>the MSX hipster appears again to show us how superior his taste is for preferring 2D Metal Gear

Fuck off and kill yourself already.
>>
>>3288236
I think Metal Gear 2 and Ghost Babel are better on the whole.

MGS1 has a problem with emphasizing action sequences and boss fights too much. The second disc in particular is just a bunch of boss fights strung together. The core mechanics in terms of Snake's abilities and the enemy behavior are great (it solves most of MG2's balancing issues, like enemies being killed in one shot), but the game never takes off with them. Until you play the VR missions it doesn't feel like you've gotten to know the game. MG2 and GB both do a much better job with this. More time is spent sneaking and that time is both more demanding and more varied.
>>3288417
I don't know what his reasons are, but I definitely agree that MG2 is better.
>>
>>3288430
>I don't know what his reasons are, but I definitely agree that MG2 is better.

No it's not. MGS has deeper gameplay, better music, better boss fights, and more interactive A.I.
>>
>>3288437
>MGS has deeper gameplay, better music, better boss fights, and more interactive A.I.
>deeper gameplay
Yeah, I agreed with that. But the game sidelines it in favor of set pieces and boss fights. That's the issue.
>better music
Eh.
>better boss fights
Sure.
>more interactive A.I.
Also true.

I think MG2 is much more compelling on the whole, though for reasons already stated.
>>
>>3288251
Games were headed that way since the advent of gaming on CDs anyway though
>>
File: castlevania3jappromo2.jpg (313KB, 637x1651px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania3jappromo2.jpg
313KB, 637x1651px
>>3288417
>Fuck off and kill yourself already.
Triggered.
>Implying MGS1 wasn't a 2D game in polygons.
It was faux-3D at best.
>>
>>3288506
SD Snatcher was garbage.
>>
>>3288236
More like
>Name a more overrated game.
right?
>>
File: 228323442.jpg (98KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
228323442.jpg
98KB, 600x448px
>>3288510
It was okay for me. I didn't hate it, but I always wondered why they didn't just make Snatcher Act 3 into its own game. But if they had done that instead, we probably wouldn't had gotten Metal Gear 2.
>>
>>3288510
It was objectively better than the original game.
>>
>>3288518
>Snatcher
>game
Didn't know reading was gaming.
>>
File: sotn.jpg (55KB, 400x333px) Image search: [Google]
sotn.jpg
55KB, 400x333px
This.

MGS1, as stated earlier is a hybrid 2.5d game. Not to mention its other flaws, later improved by sequels and surpassed by other game in the military/stealth genre.

Sticking with the Konami theme, SOTN, on the other hand represents the pinnacle of 2D gaming and may be (unpopular opinion) the best game of alll time.
>>
File: Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jpg (25KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jpg
25KB, 392x500px
>>3288236
Well that wasn't hard.
>>
>>3288645
Exactly
>>
>>3288236
That's a retro interactive movie. 10 minutes of gameplay for 50 minutes of cutscene.

See>>3289247
>>
>>3288929
>the best game of alll time
>unpopular opinion
No you're right. Fuck the haters.
>>
>>3288929
I personally think Mega Man X is the real pinnacle of 2D gaming but SOTN is definitely a close second.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.