[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone else read this? What did you think of it? I thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 9781783522569.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
9781783522569.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
Has anyone else read this? What did you think of it?

I thought it was a pretty good quick look at a few dozen bad ZX spectrum games, but it was pretty short and the segments by different authors weren't very interesting. A good fifth of the book is taken up by listing the backers' names...
>>
>>3288143
Ashens is just an e-celeb with dumbass thoughts.
>>
>>3288165
DELETE THIS
>>
>>3288143

I enjoyed it
>>
Spectrum games are all literally the same, they're all clones of the same dozen Ultimate games.
>>
Too short, and I'd rather read about good home computer games that still hold up today. The book didn't change my perception that 99% of the Speccy library is crap.

In a few minutes, I'll upload a PDF of it.
>>
>>3288165
>dumbass thoughts
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>3288143
Ecelebs are garbage
>>
>>3288226

https://a.pomf.cat/gsajvo.epub

https://a.pomf.cat/gjtrwn.pdf
>>
>>3288262
Thanks anon.
>>
>>3288262
The formatting on this is horrible. Did they not check it over before they released the book?
>>
>>3288287

I used an automatic converter from Kindle's format, which probably messed with the format.

This is the original file, sans DRM: https://a.pomf.cat/ptzrgw.azw3
>>
It's low-hanging fruit. You can pick ANY console or home computer platform and pick 50 shovel-ware titles and have a book like this. Hell, you could probably pick 200. The book only serves to point out that the majority of titles on every system were shovel-ware, something pretty much every gamer already knows. What's the point?
>>
>>3289460
Not everything has 50 games.
>>
Oh nice. I didn't know Ashens wrote a book on that topic. I always liked his TOGYPNHO videos, but he didn't do a lot of them.
>>
>>3289578
This would have worked a lot better in video format desu. He could have made it a DVD if he wanted to make money from it.
>>
>>3288262
thank you, anon!
>>
Do you guys like the videos the book was based off of?
>>
It simply didn't work.
You can write "looks like shit" and "sounds terrible" as much as and in any way you want but without actual gameplay videos it means absolutely nothing.
If it was more along the lines of the short bursts of actual interesting stuff (like how he went into the code of that one game to show how godawful the programming is) it would've been much better.

Also, only like half of the book is actual content.
Dozens of pages in the back are just names of backers and the articles themselves are shorter than they appear due to the pictures often taking up entire pages and each page also getting cut down even more in size with some sprite borders.
If those articles in the book would've been turned into videos they would be only like one or two minutes long.
>>
>>3288143
>ZX spectrum games
Anyone and everyone was making games for it,from kids to adult people.
Calling them bad is stupid especially or the Spectrum,everyone tried to to their best and nobody put a gun at your head and told you to play them.
What a load of bulshit.
>>
>>3289727
>for*
>to do*
I am tired
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 310x238px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 310x238px
>1/4 of the book is listing the backers
>a literal quarter of the book is just listing names
>>
>>3291148
those are the sacrifices you have to make when you ask thousands of people to fund your projects for free
>>
>>3289460
>You can pick ANY console or home computer platform and pick 50 shovel-ware titles and have a book like this.
Go for it.
>>
desu I only bought it because it had a chapter by Ste Pickford and I was hoping he'd go into the development of Plok and Equinox.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.