[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing through RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: character_select.png (29KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
character_select.png
29KB, 768x672px
I have a really hard time playing through to the ending of RPGs. I've started so many and failed to complete them. I could probably count the number of /vr/ RPGs I've completed on my two hands, and they're mostly pokemon games.

Which RPGs have grabbed your attention enough for you to complete it? Do you have the same problem I do? I was thinking of taking a stab at the first Final Fantasy because I've heard its relatively short, and that would probably help my efforts.

Thoughts?
>>
Final Fantasy is pretty short but there are shorter ones. Chrono Trigger and Panzer Dragoon Saga jump right to mind.
>>
>>3286394

What, specifically, do you find boring about JRPGs? Do you find that the traditional turn-based combat doesn't cut it for you and you need something more? Do you feel like sometimes they focus too much on story without much interesting stuff going on in terms of gameplay? Do the settings bore you?
>>
In my experience, RPGs in general get less and less appealing as you grow older because you neither have the patience nor the free time anymore. I'm on the same boat, tried to fight it and I couldn't so now I just accept I'm getting old.
>>
>>3286394
I find some harder to get into than others.

I'll never beat Xenogears because it's ungodly boring.

I can play most "casual" JRPG's though, because a lot of them are actually paced really well. Chrono Trigger, and FF7 come to mind, though FF7 is significantly longer than CT.
>>
>>3286412
Like >>3286434 mentioned, I think it may have to do with pacing. I feel like I get lost a lot. I don't enjoy not knowing where I should go next, I think that slows the game down considerably. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention?
>>
Maybe you just need more experimental JRPG's or the genre isn't for you, or just play even shorter ones. Final Fantasy Legend I and II are pretty short clocking in around 10~12 hours while taking on non-traditional mechanics.
>>
I have this problem too.

In my case, it isn't that I get bored or don't enjoy them. Rpgs are my favorite genre.

I tend to get about 90% of the way through and then don't finish.

I think part of that is that towards the end you have all your party members, most of the best weapons and armors, located all the towns. You no longer feel like a weakling taking on a daunting task.

The game isn't beaten. But the progression (new towns, characters, weapons) is basically done.

Sure you could do the bonus dungeon or go for uber weapons, summons (kotr) etc, but when you are already strong enough to beat any main enemy (not optional uber bosses) in the game It feels like the game has lost something.

I liken it to the end of the frieza saga of dbz, where Goku doesn't finish the job by killing frieza.

I like overcoming obstacles, but don't enjoy it when I finally am above all obstacles.
>>
>>3286441

Okay, gotcha. I would recommend playing Dragon Quest 5, either the SNES or DS version. The early part of the game is pretty straightforward, and then once you're more familiar with it it opens up. It's also one of the best JRPGs of all time, honestly.
>>
>>3286460
Thanks for the recommendation, do you prefer one of the two??
>>
>>3286460
was DQ5 SNES available in English?
Is it necessary to have played, or read the story of DQ 1 - 4?
>>
>>3286657
yes, as a fan translation
not at all
>>
>>3286394
I usually hate random encounters, unless they come in specific (mostly avoidable) spots on the map like in Pokemon, or they are triggered by visible characters like in Mario RPG or Earthbound. Walking through a big area with random encounters gets incredibly boring and frustrating quite easily. I specially hate when, in addition to that, the combat is so simplistic that in every single battle you end up just mashing the same frigging button till it's done. And then you don't earn any significant amount of experience. Fuck that.
>>
>>3286690
I've never touched fan translations of anything. Are they actually useful, or sloppy memeshit?
>>
>>3286450
This. Usually you can predict the ending anyway.
>>
>>3286394
>failing the punching bag of videogame genres
LITERALLY KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>3286450
These days you can just watch the ending on youtube anyway so I don't see the big deal.
>>
>>3286701
I remember DQ5 being acceptable.
>>
>>3286450
Semi-related to this, in my case I end up not finishing some RPGs because I enjoy them too much. That is, deep down inside I don't really want it to end not just because I like the game that much but also because it means the end of all the work and experiences I had with my characters. Because it's such a big deal, I want to save the end for a rainy day or the most perfect, comfortable day ever so I can have a fitting ending experience and not a "just another game" kind of feeling when completing it.

However, what often ends up happening is that ideal day never comes because once I stop playing, I quickly lose my momentum, forget about the game for a bit, and it becomes nearly impossible to get the motivation back to finish it. And if this goes on for too long, well, we all know what it's like when you try to start playing an RPG again after not playing it for a week or two.
>>
File: IMG_2523.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2523.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3286698
Almost every JRPG I play now I play with an arcade stick that has an auto-fire feature. The ASCII sticks are pretty good about this (NES Advantage, SNES advantage, fighter stick V for PS1 pictured). It just breaks up the tedium of random battles quite a bit, I just turn on the auto-fire and shitpost here or look something up or talk to friends on slack. It makes the experience a lot better.

JRPG's are just not very engaging for like 70% of the game.
>>
>>3286734
>Playing 50+ hour games that bore the shit out of you.
LITERALLY KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>3286787
Nobody never implied that.
>>
>>3286701
They vary. DQ5 has a fine fan translation. Certainly better than what Square-Enix shit out these days.

Sometimes meme translations do the job though, I can't imagine playing a FF4 without refrences to William Shatner's acting.
>>
File: balstothewall.jpg (183KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
balstothewall.jpg
183KB, 400x600px
>>3286394
>I was thinking of taking a stab at the first Final Fantasy

You know what party to choose.
>>
File: 1448903867975.jpg (3MB, 1920x1359px) Image search: [Google]
1448903867975.jpg
3MB, 1920x1359px
> I've started so many and failed to complete them.

This is an issue for me whenever I replay an RPG. I get like 75-90%, but then most of my characters are maxed and I remember everything that happens and then I pick up something new.

FF6 does a pretty good job at keeping me on from start to finish, because the last third or so of the game is mostly nonlinear and then culminates in one of the best final dungeons of ALL TIME.
>>
Does anyone know if that byond ff4 game is still around?
>>
>>3286734

Spotted the /v/ user!

Take your attitude elsewhere.
>>
>>3286427
Please don't die
>>3286441
>>3286450
This. In my case, it also happens that the last boss is too strong and i'm not motivated enough to grind until i can kill it. Besides, one can guess what is going to happen then.

It is funny how some games featured different endings, when the ending is the least interesting thing in games.
>>
>>3286441
I'm with you, OP.

I love Final Fantasy games and I play most entries but I couldn't ever finish a single one so far.

I'm not autistic enough for shit like that.
like I got pretty far in FF2 and I'm about venture into that hell setting where you fight the emperor again and all that but I can't be arsed to do it because the difficulty will spike like crazy once I go inside.

one time I played FF1 and was bummed out that I went down that earth passage straight away and then after all these trials you can't even beat any boss there in that labyrinth.
>>
>>3286734
>>>/v/

and stay there.
>>
>>3286427
This. So much. I used to love jrpg and I still try to go back and play my favorites but it is rare that I have enough free time to devote to a single game so I have tons of half finished save games. I can't even remember the last time I finished a jrpg.
>>
There's nothing wrong with playing casual RPGs. If you haven't already, give Mario RPG a shot.
>>
>>3286450
I feel this paradox so bad it pains me. Very related to what you've said.. There always comes this choice, you've been progressing the story from the onset, maybe doing somen sidequests along the way but never k posing momentum, then at the end game you either:
Continue that momentum and kill last boss without doing optional stuff,, or
completely kill momentum and do all exploration /side stuff.

If you continue on, you miss some of the best content in the game. Once I've beat the last boss I have zero desire to do the optional stuff.
If you do the side stuff you get so overpowered that you insta kill the final boss and at that point you've already becoke disconnected from the plot.

It sucks! And I don't know what the solution is.
>>
>>3286450
Well put

The only RPGs I can every remember having a particularly interesting endgame was Fallouts 1&2. For others, if felt like I'd seen it all, in terms of both gameplay and story progression, before the end.

But ya iktf
>>
>>3286450
I have this problem myself. I played Chrono Trigger the other year, finished all the sidequests then and just stopped. Couldn't motivate myself to bother with the final dungeon as I'd seen everything the game had to offer already. And that's just one example of many.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.