[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Illbleed appreciation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: 073a2c40.gif (26KB, 418x196px) Image search: [Google]
073a2c40.gif
26KB, 418x196px
One of the coolest games lost to tide of time: Illbleed

Released in the spring of 2001 and Sega Dreamcast at death's door, Illbleed would sadly be relegated to obscurity. Despite the unfavorable reviews from critics, Illbleed has a horror survival experience which has yet to be matched by any other title. The atmosphere, identifiable characters, charming aesthete, campy tone and plot all culminate in producing what might be the first Horror-Comedy Survival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_DIymVrWvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ-EUxPceRQ#t=6m38s
>>
>>3284958
It's a pretty cool game. Far from perfect, but still quite fun.
>>
>>3284958
>obscurity
>Literally the goto game for DC hipsters
>>
File: illbleed-map.jpg (75KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
illbleed-map.jpg
75KB, 640x480px
How are the park staff so nonchalant about their jobs? They're like being paid(?) to maim people.
>>
So like, doesn't the game make item-glints all over the place and then like stab you in the face when you try to pick up half of them?

I don't understand, artificial difficulty??

aside from that and the shitty voice acting it seemed interesting but I don't know why its over $100
>>
>>3286926
The gameplay is just tedious, you have a sensor to detect if there will be a trap ahead, that would be alright if not for the tedious part that you are limited to detecting traps.
So you need to stop every 2 steps, look at the sensor if it's a trap or not, aim with your googles on 10 different things and hope you checked the trap.
That's the whole gameplay in this game except for enemies/boss encounters.
The reason why it's 50-100$ is because it got popular, same with Shenmue, before the hype for Shenmue 3 you could buy 1 and 2 easily for 10 to 40$ and now you will get lucky to get it for 100$ for the second game.
>>
>>3287004
>The reason why it's 50-100$ is because it got popular

That's only part of the reason why copies of Illbleed command such a high price, but even then, the game was never that popular. Those who've enjoyed playing it, including myself, are quite avid fans of the content. It's especially a treat for horror movie fans with each level referencing certain films.

In high school (during the Bush years), I used to be email a guy who wrote a walkthrough on GameFAQs. We'd festively speculate about certain plotpoints, characters and levels (particularly Killerman). Killerman often drove us to debate whether or not it was real or all-part-of-the-act. A good case can be made for the latter, but not without a few caveats.

On another note, my favorite levels are...
Homerun of Death: pitch perfect. The story, the characters, the atmosphere and, of course, the score are all pitch perfect. I especially like the brickshittingly tense music when you're trying to outrun Banbollow.

Woodpuppets: the story is much campier than Homerun of Death, but still manages to stay disturbing, especially when you discover the Woodpuppet assembly line. The score here is particularly strong once you're inside the warehouse. The only downside is when you become a Woodpuppet and have to outrun those goddamn Woodcutters.

Killerman: the storyline alone keeps players debating, and when you enter the morgue, the game gets much creepier, especially if you play the North American version with the music.

Revenge of Queen Worm: meeting David alone makes this level a keeper, and then there's the moment the Monkiller steals your horror monitor before hiding in the woods gawking at you. It's not as strong as the other levels, but nonetheless quite memorable.
>>
Hipster garbage.
>>
>>3284958
I love that game.
>>
>>3287673
Except it isn't.

Hipsters don't care about anything past the 32-bit era
>>
This game wasn't even fun.
>>
>tfw I bought this game new after DC was discontinued for dirt cheap and then sold it not long after for pennies

Feels bad man
>>
>>3288271
Dreamcast games are retro.
>>
>>3288323

>Dreamcast: native 640x480p, analog stick, analog triggers, BUILT-IN online is "retro" because SEGA mismanaged it into the ground and it features a certain weeb RPG

>a certain handheld at 240x160 will NEVER be retro
>>
>>3288271
Is it just me or did the sticky at one point say anything 15 years old was retro
>>
>>3288253
Maybe you're just a subclass of hipster who doesn't care about anything past the 32-bit era?
>>
>>3288253
Hipster faggot.
>>
>>3285451
Not Seaman or some rhythm game?
>>
>>3289541
The whole "ILLBLEED IS FOR HIPSTERS" mentality is just a lazy insult from bitter idiots upset their chosen favorite hasn't been discussed. These are also the same people who hurl shit at Illbleed because it's not a typical "retro" game.

Some complaints are valid like:
>>3288352

Beyond that, people who hate Illbleed are just humorless squares.
>>
>>3289549
Put down the PBR, you're obviously drunk.
>>
>>3289597
>implying I'd poison my body with that lowest common denominator prole shit

Pilsners, Stouts, Smoke Beers, Doppelbocks and almost anything Belgian for life.

Life's far too short to drink shit beer.
>>
Illbleed is especially fun if you've played Blue Stinger (same developer). There's a shit-ton of in jokes and one of the protagonists from Blue Stinger even shows up as a corpse in the grocery store level.
>>
>>3289653
>a corpse in the grocery store level
Nope. It's the Killerman level, and you only encounter him if you trigger the trap.
>>
File: homefunofdeath.jpg (133KB, 635x305px) Image search: [Google]
homefunofdeath.jpg
133KB, 635x305px
>>3287232

I like the subtle homages to pre-existing horror movies. Home Run of Death for example: a bunch of teenagers were playing with fire and it resulted in the camp groundskeeper getting burned alive and vowing vengeance on anyone who got in his path. That's a direct reference to "The Burning" which is a great slasher movie in and of itself.
>>
>>3289679
Yep. The level also references "Don't Go In the House" vis-à-vis Gale Banbollow's modus operandi of burning people alive. It's a subtle combo of those two movies, and to a much lesser extent, Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho".

"Revenge of Queen Worm" is obviously a reference to Tremors.

No idea what "Woodpuppets" references, but the man-eating tree is possibly a reference to Evil Dead 2. Then again, man-eating trees is known folklore, so God only knows.

"Killer Department Store" has me completely stumped. No idea what movie or book that references.

"Killerman" is obviously Pepsiman.

"Toyhunter" is obviously Toy Story and Indiana Jones with an evil Sonic the Hedgehog (or perhaps Shadow) as the level boss
>>
ITT: hipsters trying to justify overpaying for a piece of junk, but hey at least it's quirky XD and full of references, right?
>>
>>3289732
It's fun you joyless faggot.

I miss when games had the sort of character and soul that IllBleed does.
>>
>>3289732
I only paid $3 for it with the manual at GameStop back in 2006.

Man, I feel fucking lucky.
>>
>>3289743
Totally dude. He doesn't get it at all. Enjoying a shit game is good and gitting gud at a good game is out. He's a total tool of the man
>>
>>3289720

If I had to guess, Killer Department Store is a reference to Messiah of Evil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI6TV1Tr7Ck

Or perhaps Intruder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViB7JAEb1YE
>>
>>3289890
It's also perhaps a reference to Chopping Mall.
>>
>>3289917

Good point. Chopping Mall is more of a horror-comedy, but watching that bimbo's head get blasted into hamburger is endlessly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_5FU5ikcE
>>
>>3289809
>$3

You overpaid.
>>
>>3289941

Considering it goes for the better part of $100 now, I'd disagree. You don't like the game, fine. Can't change the facts though.
>>
>>3289953
Meh, there are plenty of other boards for that flippant asshole to shitpost on.

In any case, I made out alright, and it looks like it won't be reissued anytime soon, so it'll still stay valuable.
>>
>>3286807
I need this in 1080 for wallpaper. Looks really cool
>>
>>3284958
Gotta admit I just played it to see the weird Sonic reference. But then I liked the original gameplay, the twisted plot and the occasional nudity.
>>
You got true ending?
>>
>>3291340
Not him, but I got the bad ending because I didn't solve the Killerman case correctly (fucking bullshit).

If I play through a second time, can I still get the true ending without getting the neutral ending (with you and everyone on the seashore) first? I don't want to play through the game TWO more times just to see the real credits/ending.
>>
>>3291436
You can. I, too, fucked up the first time because I couldn't find Jörg.

The Morgue is fucking frustrating because it's so huge, and if you make the wrong move, you'll never find him.

In any case, let all your friends die in new game plus, including Jörg. That'll get you the true ending.
>>
>>3287232
>Killerman often drove us to debate whether or not it was real or all-part-of-the-act.

I'd like to get in on this.

If the Killerman mystery was, indeed, all part of the act, then what does that make Jörg? Cunningham informs us that Jörg is a journalist running a story on Illbleed, but although he's eager to join your team after you rescue him, why would the park staff entertain the press with visitors running about trying to complete the level? Does that make him a legitimate journalist or is he a shill? If he's a shill, then it wouldn't behoove him to help you out since Illbleed would be paying a guy to aid and abet their bankruptcy.

I'll apply Occam's razor and just assume the park attendants, including the "dead bodies", are all just actors temporarily breaking character to answer a journalist's questions. If Killerman was real and actually going after park attendants, then Michael Reynolds better have arranged his employees sign their lives away via waivers or else he's going to face some serious litigation.
>>
>>3289625

you're so unique and different
>>
>>3291552
you're so witty and biting
>>
>>3291547
The Killerman level is full of plotholes, so don't expect a cogent answer.
>>
>>3292743
Yeah, so is a lot of Illbleed's plot.

One time, I deliberately had Eriko and Michel killed off at the final level to see if male-only survivors would trigger a different ending, but much to my surprise, I still got the same bad ending with old Eriko. One of my pals joked the lone-surviving male later transitioned in life after losing his testicles to Oh No Man.
>>
File: QPeQjiq.jpg (22KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
QPeQjiq.jpg
22KB, 620x620px
How well does this one emulate?
>>
>>3293704
Haven't tested, so I can't say.
>>
Meh seems overrated to me, I struggled my way through the first stage, got caught in a load of bullshit traps, got to the bullshit boss and got fed up and turned it off.
>>
>>3293761
Illbleed tests your patience, but once you've finally gotten accustomed to the gameplay, it's a much more rewarding experience.

The first level throws a serious curveball your way, especially when you're trying to outrun Banbollow after you've just spent the first twenty minutes going through dank hallways defusing traps and fighting enemies, so I don't blame you for getting frustrated. Just don't give up.

Be sure to grab the speed ladder when you arrive at the urinals when Banbollow drags Kevin away. It'll help immensely should you get caught by Banbollow in the halls. When you finally get to fight Banbollow after outrunning him (save at the Dummyman booth before the fight begins), he's a piss easy boss. After you're done with him and have to outrun the giant Banbollow, use the dodge button anytime he goes to take a swipe at you. Be sure to fork to the left to get to the control room and go medieval on the operator. Once you kill him (it only takes two or three swipes), grab his ID card and rock 'n' roll out of there.
>>
File: jEUTbhQ.png (9KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
jEUTbhQ.png
9KB, 640x448px
>>3289653
>Blue Stinger
God I love this game. RIP Shinya Nishigaki, you were a visionary.
>>
>>3294267

It especially bums me out that was supposedly working on a new IP when he passed. Dude was one of the more unique developers out there. He even threw in cameos from that shitty Pen Pen TriIcelon racing game in Blue Stinger just for laughs.
>>
>>3294339
I remember an online rumor around the time of his passing it was a sequel called 'Red Stinger" that would take place on Mars. Again, "RUMOR" but the thought sounds great, Blue Stinger meets Total Recall makes me happy.
>>
File: ms_michel.jpg (169KB, 700x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ms_michel.jpg
169KB, 700x1200px
On another note, enjoy some Illbleed fanart.
>>
File: 20130914001656404.jpg (241KB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20130914001656404.jpg
241KB, 1280x1600px
>>
File: RandyMichelbloodbath.jpg (22KB, 333x400px) Image search: [Google]
RandyMichelbloodbath.jpg
22KB, 333x400px
>>
Has anyone figured out what Banbollow says when he rants and raves?
>>
>>3295153
JIMMY

JIMMYJIMMYJIMMYJIMMYJIMMYJIMMY
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>
File: Illillillia.png (949KB, 1422x990px) Image search: [Google]
Illillillia.png
949KB, 1422x990px
>>3296724
>>
>>3296740
hahahaha what?
>>
>>3296724
very interesting that is a huge ass.
>>3296740
even more interesting.
>>
>>3296740
Whatever happened to Ulillillia? Is he still making video games?
>>
>>3297308
Yeah, he left youtube because he didn't like the new comment system. I think he is still working on Platform Masters, he updates the facebook fan group from time to time.
>>
>>3291547
I thought all the employees were actually very convincing flesh covered robots?
>>
>>3285451
i've really never heard about it, and while i really don't play much anymore, i read alot about old games.
>>
>>3297419
>I thought all the employees were actually very convincing flesh covered robots?

It may be for Homerun of Death and Zodick the Hellhog's operators at the end of Toy Hunter, but the others might very well be human. I'm especially willing to believe the guy at the control panel of Killer Department Store was human.
>>
>>3297574
The attendants at the end of Woodpuppets are probably human, too.
>>
>>3298417
The park probably has a mix of employees who are human and others who are robotic
>>
>>3284958
sage report hide and move on please
>>
>>3291005
Here's a shitty upscale
>>
>>3284958
Legit one of the worst games on the console. Even Blue Stinger was more fun.
>>
>>3303927
Another annoying moron
>>
>>3289625
>almost anything Belgian

As a Belgian I need to inform you that a lot of our beer is actually shit.

A lot of it's really good too, but you do have to be a little selective.
>>
>>3304335
Rocheforts are great as are Flemish sours.

Gulden Draak is similarly good.
>>
>>3300108

There's at least a team of surgeons to get you back up and going.
>>
>>3307180
Dummyman surgeons, no less.
>>
>>3304315
>Illbleed hipster calling someone else annoying
>>
>>3308471
Want some fries with that salt?
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.