[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventure Island

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: adventure_island_4_11.png (34KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
adventure_island_4_11.png
34KB, 512x448px
Let's have a thread about one of the best platformer series ever, Adventure Island/Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Jima. Right up there with Super Mario Bros., IMO.

What are your favorite games in the series?
Any romhacks you know of?
Share memories, discuss, post art, etc.
>>
>>3282675
Loved the first game and still do, something about the sprite work combined with the music really sets the mood for me, its nothing impressive but its what makes it shine for me
>>
File: AdventureIslandII.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
AdventureIslandII.png
3KB, 256x224px
>>3282683

Yeah, it's really a timeless game.

Have you played the sequels?
>>
I remember playing Adventure Island 3 with my old Famicom replica (Micro Genius IQ-901). It was charming and challenging at the same time. Not the mention soundtrack was awesome.
>>
>>3282691

III might be my favorite in the series, good taste. And yes, these games could get pretty challenging.
>>
I liked Wonder Boy. From what I understand Adventure Island is a downgraded port for the Famicom, so it should be good like Wonder Boy. Though, that character sprite is unappealing.
>>
>>3282698

Not really a downgrade, what happened is that the company that game those games (Escape) went with Hudson after the first Wonder Boy game, Sega owned the rights to Wonder Boy's name and character, but Escape owned the code of the game, so they simply changed the character. If you liked Wonder Boy, you should play Adventure Island II, III and IV, as well as New Adventure Island on Turbografx.
>>
>>3282708
It's a downgrade, obviously, but that isn't knocking it. Of course the Famicom couldn't handle the original arcade. The Master System port was also a downgrade, albeit less so. That's just how arcade ports work. I've been trying to track down tge PC Engine game, but I'm yet to import a Famicom.
>>
File: wonder-higgins.png (19KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
wonder-higgins.png
19KB, 256x224px
>>3282720
All in all, the usual Master System music woes and early somewhat bland visuals made me think Adventure Island was cooler, even though I was a Sega kid. It was also nice they managed to make an entire series out of the original mechanics, up to Super AI (probably my favorite one, if only for the sheer eye candy), instead of constant reinvention a la Wonder Boy.

Then again, they suddenly attempted to bridge the series into the type of game Wonder Boy had become later with with Super Adventure Island II. That was pretty silly; the series deserved a better end
>>
>>3282720
Definitely a downgrade. Didn't even require all the trophies to get the true ending. Ezi modo.
>>
>>3282720
Famicoms are pretty cheap. If I were you I would get one fast, you may never now when the prices go up.
>>
File: wonderboyIII.gif (13KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
wonderboyIII.gif
13KB, 320x224px
>>3282720

New Adventure Island for the TG is like a 16-bit version of the first game, pretty simple but tons of fun.
I highly recommend the sequels on the Famicom/NES, they expand a lot of the game design with more variety in levels, more powerups, more boss variety, etc.

>>3282734
I have yet to play any of the SNES games, but I've been meaning to. I know that, like the Wonder Boy games, they went for a more exploration-based design, which is fine to me, but I prefer the straightforward platforming design of WB1/Adventure Island 1-4.
The only Wonder Boy game I really love besides the first one is Monster's Liar on Mega Drive, which is like a mix of Wonder Boy 1 with shmup segments.
>>
>>3282734
I love the Master System music. It gets stuck in my head all the time.
>>
>>3282745
Super Adventure Island 2 had those exploration based elements, but the first game did not. It's just like New Adventure Island in taking the original game and giving it a next gen polish. Plus, it has a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/WuvYG0PmgOc
>>
File: taka.jpg (115KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
taka.jpg
115KB, 640x480px
>>3283172

Sounds awesome, will play it asap.
>>
>>3282675
>Right up there with Super Mario Bros
Come on now. Adventure Island IV on NES is great though.
>>
>>3283172
>It's just like New Adventure Island in taking the original game and giving it a next gen polish.

except in Super AI for some inexplicable reason they took out the fucking run button, an essential part of AI's gameplay mechanics, and it feels really awkward an sluggish without it. the music is pretty amazing though.
>>
>>3284110
Not him, but I'd personally say this: while it doesn't have the same appeal and level of refined polish as Mario 3 as a platformer, I would say that in terms of an run-and-gun style game, it's definitely up there. It doesn't have the same raw-power+energy-rush feeling of contra, instead requiring you to be more careful and definitely PRECISE about your movements. However, getting good, and I mean -really- good at AI and just shooting and speeding your way through everything feels so damn good, because you can just flow through everything. Also, it had a neat yoshi-style system on the NES, which Nintendo said "was impossible" (and other hacks and projects have proven this wrong as well), along with an inventory system in 2 and 3, which, while not quite to that of Mario 3 (due to no overworld map), was still a great addition and really helped in some tight spots due to being able to choose your weapon or dino. Skateboarding is hard as fuck though.

New and Super are pretty good "revamps" of 1 (not quite remakes and not quite original entries either, but not as intricate as 2 and 3 due to lacking their additions, for better and worse as a result of doing so).

Monster Lair is definitely an odd mix, not quite successful, but not a failure either, I feel. It's worth a shot at least, even if you don't beat it.

The WiiWare game was, hmmm... I don't know what I would call it. It's definitely neat to see a sort of "RPG-element"-styled take on the run n' gun platformer formula without going so far as AI4 or SAI2, but some weapons and abilities flat out got overwritten at times, with no way to turn them off or revert them. I honestly had some trouble without the flutter jump, which seemed a bit cheap on the stage design side. I suppose being outsourced to the chinese, especially those not part of the original teams and projects, kind of hurt it overall in terms of being a new refined entry by limiting what it could have been. Being on WiiWare didn't help either.
>>
>>3286497
So yeah, that's my take. The gameboy games were slightly altered from the originals if I remember correctly (and not just the numbering aspect, I mean from some of the respective stage designs, if only slightly), but still pretty good ports, all things considered (shame about 2GB's soundtrack being tinny as fuck though, at least 3GB was better about this). It's a shame that AI is, at least seemingly, forever doomed to be stuck under Konami's foot, because I think it's the sort of game that, in terms of raw numbers, may only have a sort of niche appeal, isn't that hard to get into if you've got the guts, and if you do, odds are you'll probably like it. Hudson knew what they were doing with the series for the most part (save for those wonderboy reskins on older mobile dumbphones, seriously what the fuck) and I think they were in their right mind supporting it as long as they did. AI always came across to me as that sweet spot in platforming run and guns that nobody else really touched on.
Oh yeah, sadly, I never played the gamecube game. It was a retelling of AI1, but I don't know if the stage design was 1:1 or not.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.