[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The VMU

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: Sega-Dreamcast-VMU.jpg (6KB, 200x262px) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Dreamcast-VMU.jpg
6KB, 200x262px
Can we talk about the VMU?

There's a lot of discussion about how fast it eats up battieres, but most of the people who talk about that are basing this off of like, watch batteries from 2000 and 2010. We have much better battery technology now, and I was wondering how long these last with current generation lithium batteries?

This fucking thing is ingenious, by the way, and pretty powerful as a portable console in it's own right, especially for the size and year it was released.
>>
>>3281425
Who in their right mind would play games on a VMU over a fucking Gameboy?
>>
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
>>
>>3281474
Segafags and hipsters would, I think, at least I've seen some anons talking about how much they love playing shit on it.
>>
>>3281481
aaaaaaaaaAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>3281474
The VMU and Game Boy aren't even remotely comparable things. VMU "games" are just extensions of DC games. There aren't really any standalone VMU games.

If you're into that Chao thing in the Sonic Adventure games, the VMU functionality is pretty important.
>>
>>3281474
What does this have to do with OP's post?
>>
>>3281425
So no one has any experiences about batteries for this thing?
>>
>>3281425
Most recently, my VMU's batteries lasted about 2 weeks, and that was while playing the Chao mini-game thing everyday for about 15 mins. I've heard that if you leave them outside of the controller the batteries last longer, but frankly that defeats the purpose of the whole thing.
>>
>>3281671
I have 3, so I figured I can use one fo rthe mini-game and one for saves.

Pinta's Quest I'll probably be playing more than 15 minutes, though.
>>
I remember when I was a kid, I thought this could play full Dreamcast games on the go.
>>
>>3281736
I forgot about Pinta's Quest...
The VMU had some interesting games. I seem to remember Time Stalkers had like 10 mini-games in it.
>>
>>3281770
Yeah, Pinta's Quest is fucking awesome. The coolest thing is going on vacation and leaving my Dreamcast here, knowing I can get loot and gold and gear and transfer it back to my main game when I return.
>>
File: FtDaXfq.jpg (200KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
FtDaXfq.jpg
200KB, 1280x960px
>>3281743
That's what I was hoping from my Wii U.

The joke is, the VMU does more than the Wii U's tablet.
>>
I love the VMU.
>>
>>3281671
Do you remember what batteries those were?
>>
>>3282059
They were regular Duracell CR2032s.
>>
File: 2016-06-10 20_34_51-VMU.pdf.jpg (47KB, 656x523px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-10 20_34_51-VMU.pdf.jpg
47KB, 656x523px
This is the official sega VMU documentation
why are you not programming for it or making a better direct power supply mod?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2r8mhxjl01tai8/VMU.pdf
>>
I never knew what the fuck these did as a kid so I just liked to connect two and leave them like that.
>>
>>3282075
Okay. I think Duracell is best but I may get stuck with Energizers.
>>
>>3283851
I haven't tried Energizers but I'm sure it'll work the same. Unfortunately these things are really not built for great battery life.
>>
>>3281474
I think it was designed to be more like a Tamagotchi than a Game Boy.
>>
>>3283969
That's basically what it is. With how big Tamagotchi was in the late 90s it makes sense.
>>
>>3281425
Battery life is still shit with the best batteries you can find.

>>3281474
Who in their right mind thinks OP said anything of the sort?

>>3281532
There are quite a few VMU games that you play stand alone and really have no interaction with a console game.

>>3283412
Nice doc. But I have programmed for it and made a power supply for it without that.
>>
>>3284256
>>3283412
A power supply for anything you know the current draw and voltage of is trivial.
>>
Just got my DC out of storage after about 7 years, probably should see what's on my VMUs...
>>
>>3281425
The problem is that the VMU drains batteries if you leave it in the controller. Take it out and experience longer battery life.
>>
>>3283412
where's the sdk
>>
>>3283412
This game programming manual might as well be written in Chinese. Can someone make me a game?
>>
>>3284492
I want some of what you're smoking bro.

>>3284719
Why would anyone do that?
>>
>>3285479
>I want some of what you're smoking bro.

what are you accusing him of being high for?
the batteries lasting longer?
>>
>>3285519
He's obviously contesting the idea that the batteries drain faster in the controller. Actually, neither posted any proof so maybe both are high.
>>
>>3285802
The batteries only drain faster in the controller when the system turns off, because the VMU stays on for a few minutes afterwards.
>>
>>3285519
I'm accusing him of being high because he thinks the batteries last longer out of the controller. In fact, if you leave the VMU in the console and the console powered on it won't use use the battery at all. That's how my power supply works. It powers the VMU just like the controller.

>>3285802
You're high if you think I have to prove Santa Clause doesn't exist. Have a look at the system block diagram in the document poster earlier >>3283412.
>>
The official games are incredibly limited.

The VMU was underutilized, but Chao Adventure in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 as well as Pinta's Quest were great.

My main issue with Pinta's Quest is that you build up all your stuff on your ship and nothing happens until you transfer it back to the main game. So when I was younger and went on vacation I'd take my VMU and rack up gold and items on Pinta's Quest but I couldn't level up Pinta and if I started fucking up I'd lose a lot of gold so I would just end up not playing it unless I was going to be home a lot.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.