[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just curious, how many of you on this board play consoles and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 13

Just curious, how many of you on this board play consoles and games from before your time? Why do they appeal to you? Also, what was your first console?
>>
First console was SNES.
Enjoy NES and Atari.
>Why do they appeal to you?
Good games
>>
I don't play games before my time because I was born at the perfect time, 1977. Video games (console anyway) have always been largely targeted directly for me and consumers my age.
>>
>>3279029
Pretty much this except I'm '74. I like games from all eras though.
>>
I don't seem able to get into anything before gen 2, but that's probably because the older system I played with as a kid was my brothers old CPC.
>>
File: alone_120[1].png (6KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
alone_120[1].png
6KB, 320x200px
>>3279036
Me too. I readily admit nostalgia plays a part in a lot of games but I also find it intensely interesting to go back and re-examine the games on those old consoles that were made for older gamers. I've built a retro PC and playing DOS RPGs is a trip. It's a weird nostalgia fantasy about if i'd been grown up then like I wished I was.

That's about as close to "before my time" as I get. For example, OP, pic related is a pretty shitty game but it probably would have scared me. Personal Nightmare or Waxworks might have actually caused me psychological damage.
>>
>>3279007
>first console
NES

>the appeal
Because 2D games are more pure.
>>
>>3279007
Born 90. I dont fuck with anything older than genesis
>>
>>3279065
91 here and somehow was able to experience the 8-bit > 16-bit > 32/64-bit > 128bit progression since my family was behind the times when it came to game consoles. I appreciate every era from NES and up but I won't touch an Atari.
>>
I was born in 1988 so I would say I play a lot of games from before my time. I play a lot of games from my childhood as well. I guess I was born right at the halfway point of retro games since it is twelve years to 1976 and twelve years to 2000.
>>
>>3279059
I have a pretty low opinion of nostalgia. It's an interesting sensation, but not something I seek out. I do like trying out games I either overlooked or found unappealing when I was younger. The older games that I replay still are mostly because I think they're still really good.
>>
born in the late 90's here, but I was set when I was born because I have a mom and older brother with older consoles. I grew up on N64 and Sega master system until I got a gamecube. I don't go back any further than the NES
>>
For the most part no, though I do love some arcade games and pinball machines that predate both my birth and, more so, when I first started getting into video games. I can't really stand most Gen2 consoles or PC games earlier than the second half of the 80's; even if they were my first introduction to games, I dan't get much value from them anymore.
>>
>>3279092
Nostalgia can enhance the experience of playing a game though. I don't understand why people are so against it and have yet to hear a credible argument against playing it.
>>
>>3279118
>Nostalgia can enhance the experience of playing a game though.

If it works for you fine, but I disagree with that. I think nostalgia is the misguided notion that things were better before and seeking it out is an attempt to feel like a child again. Personally I just don't see anything good about that. To each their own though.
>>
>>3279123
>misguided notion that things were better before
>misguided
Anon...
>>
>>3279118
Agreed. Like an idiot I had sold many of my games to Funcoland back in the day because I had convinced myself I had outgrown them. Flash forward 15 and I finally buy back a copy of Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers. I played that bitch from start to finish in one sitting and I had a massive fucking grin on my face the entire time too.
>>
Atari 2600 was first console.
Only here because v is shit and most modern games aren't even games anymore. Goddamn no one left behind mentality.
>>
>>3279143
Like I say, to each their own. I 100% think things are better now and have no desire at all to be a child or to return to the 70's again. But enjoy whatever you want. If nostalgia does it for you, have a blast.
>>
File: robotron_(12).png (6KB, 600x505px) Image search: [Google]
robotron_(12).png
6KB, 600x505px
My first console is the Genesis. There are a lot of games older than me that are awesome.
>>
File: 1451756322269.jpg (9KB, 369x226px) Image search: [Google]
1451756322269.jpg
9KB, 369x226px
>>3279007
Damn, that angel has a nice body.

Anyways, my first console was SNES and I just play retro games because they're good and my family introduced me to a lot of consoles they played back in the day. Cousins had NES, brothers had Genesis and so on.
>>
I'm 20 at the moment, the first gaming platform which I used with a regular basis was a notebook with Win98 (among with a Macintosh running Glider 3), my first console was a GBA.

I'm into retro gaming and older stuff for many reasons: historical interest, quality, lack of interest for many games released in those years, actual better mapping in older games, not having such an expensive hardware for new games and so on.
I don't like saying stuff like "omg new gamez suxx just look at those funtastic Doom mods from 1999!", but actually I find more games that appeal me in those years rather than nowaday's.
>>
File: 1455126922399.jpg (161KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1455126922399.jpg
161KB, 1200x900px
>>3279060
nothing's pure anon...
>>
File: 1396497190086.gif (938KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
1396497190086.gif
938KB, 500x339px
>>3279179
Hell yeah, friend. That is some awesome flat-chested delicious loli goodne- oh you're talking about the statue in the background.
>>
File: Sakura_dazed.png (892KB, 799x593px) Image search: [Google]
Sakura_dazed.png
892KB, 799x593px
>>3279365
Kek, Sakura was my first waifu though.
>>
>>3279007
I just can't get into games before my time. The game play is boring the controls are shit, and the library is worse. How much Tennis for Two and Space War could you play?
>>
>>3279007
'95er here, I shall explain my thoughts. First ever console was a PS1 in 2000 (family got PS2 in 2002). Feel free to shit on me.

Genesis era games I played a shit ton of on emulators. Yeah they were 'old' but kids don't give a shit, a game is a game. See now with children playing on their cell phones. I didn't give a shit either. Vectorman to me was godlike, Sonic 1 & 2, godlike. Being young and having nothing but free time I got to play a lot of classics and love them and it just sort of naturally stuck.

3rd Gen games, I had my parents NES for a while as a pre-teen (8-10, maybe 11) but tbqh there's so much good classic and timeless design on a lot of the popular NES games that it'd be dumb NOT to look into a library like that. I mean, fucking Mega Man, guys.

Good games are fucking eeeeverywhere. Even past nostalgia. INTERESTING games are everywhere, all over the place. If you actually like games beyond playing them to have fun, there's no reason NOT to play something older than yourself.
>>
Born in late 85. First system was an Atari my mom owned and a Nintendo.

I don't really look up how old games are, but I played pit fall and a few old games that are probably before my intended time. Some of the old roguelikes and adventure games seem interesting enough to pick up though, I guess.
>>
>>3279007
>Born in '94
NES and Master System are as far back as I go really.

My parents were cheap and I really only played video games on an NES until I was 5-6ish and got exposed to more games by going to other kid's houses.
>>
File: Nintendo-NES_360.jpg (36KB, 446x323px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-NES_360.jpg
36KB, 446x323px
>>3279007
Sakura is the cutest.

My first console was the SNES and I emulate the NES sometimes despite it being before my time. To me, it feels like the first time consoles really got it together and delivered an excellent product. I don't mind playing a bit of Pacman or Donkey Kong or something, but older games feel incredibly primitive by comparison either visually or in gameplay. Games like Punch-Out and Castlevania, however, felt as new and sharp when I first played them in my 20s as they likely did to people at the time. It was incredibly refreshing. That can't be said for practically any Atari game, at least to me.
>>
My first console was technically the NES, but really I grew up with the SNES. My older brother had an NES, so I played that in addition to the SNES.

I don't really play anything farther back than that because games become incredibly primitive before the NES, to the point that they're almost all very basic arcade games.

I mean, I've played my share of Joust, Lunar Lander, Galaga, Missile Command, Battlezone, and Tempest, but you can only play those games for so long before it's like... What the point?

The late 80s and early 90s you started getting actual games with content--storylines or goals--like Dragon Quest or Commander Keen.
>>
Born in '84
First console was the NES.
I've played Atari 2600 and 5200 games, but that's about it as far as games before my time, unless you count early NES games which I played the hell out of.
>>
Born in '84, first console was Atari 2600. Played the shit out of Burgertime on it. Also had E.T., Pac-Man, Indy 500, and Maze Craze, but I never played them all that much since they all sucked compared to Burgertime.

Got an NES and a 486, then SNES, then got a Pentium 2 around the time I got a PS1. I play tons of games from before my time cause they are fun as fuck. Star Trek(game) originally came out in '71, and it's still fun today. Q'bert, Joust, and Robotron are all awesome.
>>
>>3279007
was there even anything worth playing released before 1988?
>>
>>3279437
Tomoyo is superior
>>
My first console was a Gameboy Color. My first home console was a PS1.

I just really like sidescrollers. That's the only reason.
>>
>>3280054
The first Dragon Quest came out in Japan in 1986.
>>
Born '93 and I only got into gaming seriously in the 2000s. I was always playing old shit on inferior computers so it's normal to me, the gift of hindsight is precious for every generation. NES for consoles and VGA for DOS is where gaming starts being awesome for me.
>>
First console was an NES but I'm young. SNES and NES were before my time, but because I was raised on them I grew an appreciation for them very quickly and hold onto it.
>>
>>3280064
Oh and my cousin had a Dendy (bootleg NES, essentially), so when I was around 8, I actually played a lot of NES games.
>>
I was a poorfag in a neighborhood of poorfags. In 2003 we were playing on Genesis. When I grew up and got a job, keeping up with new electronics and stuff wasn't something I was used to, so I stuck with what I knew. I've still never even played an Xbox or a PS3 even. I don't think it should matter, a game is a game.
>>
I was born in 1989 and had nothing but a NES until 1995, when I got a Genesis. I got a PS1 in 1998 and N64 in 2000.

I don't actually play that many games from before I was born aside from NES and old arcade games. Over the last few years, I've been going back and playing games from the 90s that I missed because I didn't own the consoles (SNES, TurboGrafx, Neo Geo, Saturn, 3DO).
>>
>>3279007
My first system was a windows 95 pc so I started out playing adventure and education games. Then I got a gameboy color. My first console was a PS in 2001-2.

On occasion I marathon the odd NES game or try to get a highschore on the TI-99 4/A if we're talking about systems before our birth. As to why they appeal, I like a lot of 2d Saturn and PS games. I really like good spritework or quality backgrounds, and I play a lot of shmups.
>>
>be a '94 baby
>grew up with a PC that crashed a lot and a Gameboy, parents wouldn't allow consoles because "too many screens to sit in front of"
>brother and I were given a Genesis when I was 9 for reasons I'm not entirely sure of (I think it had something to do with my parents getting the wrong Stargate game)
>this was in 2003, 2 years (3 if you count from the PS2's launch) into the 6th gen
>basically played Sonic games all day every day (Genesis came with 1 and 2, ordered 3 online and picked up S&K from a local store)
>became a huge Sanic autist, basically acted like it was the early 90's in terms of Sega Vs. Nintendo

My portal into using the internet was looking up how to get past the barrel, then finding cheats.
>>
>>3279029
1976 here. First system was Atari 2600 when I was 6.
>>
>>3279036
>>3279029
>>3281112
Dude, you don't need to samefag three times.
>>
>>3279007
>>>/a/
>>
>>3279007
>I can't even escape Sakura posters on /vr/
Fuck

Anyway this is kind of a strange question to me. If a game seems fun I'm going to play it, whether it was released when I was 12 or 12 years before I was born. Granted, I think I'm pretty young for this board since I was born in 93, so I have a pretty good selection of games to choose that were released before I even knew what a video game was.
>>
>>3281552
>There's only one 40 year old guy on /vr/
>>
>>3281616
The 29 year old can't accept he isn't the oldest guy here.
>>
>>3279029
>>3279036
>>3281112
>>3281616
>>3281726
You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time.
>>
>Born 1988
>First console
Sega Genesis.
>Play games older than me
I typically don't go further back than NES.
>Appeal
Check out what I missed. The good and the bad.
>>
>>3281726
I'm 23 but nice try.
>>
>>3281749
End yourself now 90s shitbabby.
>>
OFFICIAL WAYS TO FIX /VR/

1. Ban /r9k/ cancer
2. Ban anyone under 30 from posting
3. Ban Doom threads
4. Ban scanline/upscaler/CRT b8 threads
>>
>>3279007
Would be hard to find a lot of games from "before my time", but I've played thousands of games from systems that I never had access to as a kid.
>>
Depends on how you define "before your time".
>>
>>3281764

Ding ding ding.

Turns 31 in a week :/
>>
I was born in 97. There isn't really a /vr/ game that isn't "before my time" assuming that means "came out before you were playing video games"

Why would they not appeal to me? they are video games.

First system was a gba. No I am not the guy who spams gba/meta threads on /vr/
>>
>>3281764
>2. Ban anyone under 30 from posting
nobody would be posting here lol
>>
File: c71.jpg (17KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
c71.jpg
17KB, 334x393px
>>3281821
>>
>>3281843
explain
>>
I'm not sure if the NES counts as before my time cause even though it came out in the 80s there were still many in operation in the mid 90s when I was old enough to pick up the controller. A lot of these posts are echoing that games older than the NES are tough to swallow.

Even the best arcade games from that era have the same harsh sound, black backgrounds, and severe abstraction of images. Sometimes, especially if I've been reading about the technology of the time or otherwise have my head in that period I'll be interested enough to suffer the headache but there's always the acknowledgement that yeah, these suck

I'm pretty sure that acknowledgment existed in 1977 too
>>
>>3279007
that's a difficult one. I've been video gaming since about 1990, but haven't had a console until I bought a 2nd hand PS2 around 2008. So even though I had the right age for them, I did not experience NES, SNES, PS and so on in their respective time. In that regard I do play consoles and games from "before my time" but not exactly. I go "back" to these systems to learn about the other side, as there's been quite a difference of gaming on DOS/Windows vs. consoles.
Depending on how nitpicky you are, I did pick up a GBC in 2000 or 2001, right before the release of the GBA, and later a DS lite. Both are handhelds, not consoles, though.

As for them appealing to me, not sure, actually. Some console games feel very off to me. Like, lately I started Castlevania. The game's fun, quite challenging and focused, but I do not get the purpose of the continues or the score. Seems to be careless leftovers from the arcade? And I noticed, with the NES games I have started, I don't have much patience for the overly frantic and bullshit-y ones. Mind you, they're not bad games. Just not, to come back to it, appealing to me.
In general though, I've started to enjoy mamed arcade games quite a bit, largely because they're so strongly focused. No endless introductions, tutorials, options, and all that junk. Just hit the start button and play a round. And gameplay is tight, because it must grip you within a minute or two Games kind of forgot how important that is.
>>
My first console was a PS1, but many of my friends growing up had genesis or SNES. I also remember playing missile command and space invaders on my parent's TI computer, so I don't really know what would be "before my time" even though I was born in '87.
>>
born 1991, first consoles were SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and N64 in that order.

My favorite is probably NES and I enjoy a number of games from the 80s and 70s as well as pinballs going back even further than this.

I think it's because I follow the games. Maybe because I've 'been around' but getting exposed to GB and SNES/Genesis and N64 sort of warmed me up to a variety of visual experiences, and to the idea that games don't have to look or play a certain way to be good. I guess what I'm saying is that the typical accutrements of newer games which people expect are not things I consider essential, and so I have no issue going back and experiencing more 'rudimentary' experiences.
>>
>>3281739
There's no need to fool a fool, fool.

>>3281749
>i'm 23 and I think i'm the oldest one here.
Yeah, you dun goofed champ.

>>3281837
>nobody would be posting in the emubaby filter threads
And that's bad how?
>>
>>3279007
I and a childhood friend both had older brothers so we grew up playing old systems.

I remember he had the new gamecube and xbox at his house, but we still spent so much time playing Sonic and some Power Rangers fighting game on their genesis.
>>
I can't say why it appeals to me, but I can say it always did. I remember when one of my neighbors got an Xbox original and always wanted to play Halo, but I'd rather mess with his C64 and Genesis. It's not that I didn't like Halo, but it didn't feel like it had anything other than what I had already seen.
>>
>>3279007
I have since I was 3 years old. I was born in 1990 and my first console was a NES. I have fond memories of playing Duck Hunt with my family, and for some reason Dig Dug II.

When I was 12 or so I played NES a lot again because of Animal Crossing's NES games.
>>
I was born in 1997 and grew up with my brother's SNES and GB. The furthest I go back is NES though. Early famicom games like portopia are really not that fun though.
>>
>>3282167
You must be 18 to browse this website.
>>
>>3282347
So why you here angry little baby?
>>
>>3282425
>>3282347
>>3282167
>>3281739
Samefag
>>
>>3282301
Get the fuck out. Nobody born after 1985 should be posting here.
>>
born in 95, only consoles growing up were my older brothers NES and SNES. The NES broke before I could really enjoy it though. Now I PC game. I have an interest in older games, but never get around to playing them.
>>
>>3282439
Angry baby is still angry there are people here older than his dad. Deal with it little bitch.
>>
I'm 20 years old but my dad was into videogames so my first console was a dos with Dark forces, he also gave me his old vectrex wich is pretty neat although it's hard to find new games.
I come here because I don't get much enjoyment out of the games coming out these days while I can waste hours screwing around with games older than me just because they're more fun to play.
>>
>>3282578
>I'm 20 years old
>my first console was a dos
Don't mean to pick on you sport but this is a shining example of the kind of retarded shit kids say. Happy to hear you enjoy good games.
>>
>>3282592
If it has to be a real console I gues my first one is gbc and if handhelds don't count it's ps1. But hey dos is still my first gaming experience.
>>
>>3282568

>>3282481
That includes you, 1996 shitbabby.
>>
This is truly a bad thread.
>>
30 year old american here who enjoys the zx spectrum
>>
93 here, i enjoy NES gamess and late 80s arcades, i don't really enjoy old loopers like a2600 stuff or early 80s arcades.
>>
>>3282481
>Nobody born after 1985
I can understand like early 90s but why 85?
>>
>>3282706
Because then it would be likely that you at least started gaming in the third gen and actually know some shit instead of getting all your opinions second-hand from 4chan.
>>
>>3282719
Someone in born 86 to early 90s probably had 4th gen. At least 5th gen anyway.

Someone born 80-85 wasn't around for most 2nd gens and early arcades. Later years would had missed most of 3rd gen too.
>>
>>3282731
>At least 5th gen anyway.
But that period is well documented. Any time fourth gen and earlier is discussed half the thread is people who weren't there parroting shit they have no idea about.
>>
>>3282761

If you think 5th gen is free from parrot shit then I don't think you've been here long.
>>
I was born in 1990 and my first console was a SNES. I admit I'm not much for console games before that, besides a few gems here and there.

I do however love older computer games. Discovering old ass games and finding ways to play them make me feel like some kind of Indiana Jones of games.
>>
>>3282647
That's true for most /vr/ threads since /v/ took over.
>>
File: smugsakura.jpg (28KB, 337x404px) Image search: [Google]
smugsakura.jpg
28KB, 337x404px
>>3280058
>implying
>>
'98fag here, first system was N64. Some of the most fun I've had with vidya was playing Pong on the 2600 with friends.

Good games are good regardless of age.
>>
>>3282706
I think even 85 is too late. If you were born in 85 your probably a playstation baby. You'd have to be born in the 70's or earlier to have grown up with a NES. You also have to take into consideration the overall immaturity here. You see plenty of people here in in their late 20s who are autistic raving manbabies.
>>
>>3279007
>from before your time?

I grew up with NES and 2600 as my first consoles.

I play games from before my time, but most of them simply happen to be the arcade originals of 2600 games I played as a kid anyway (asteroids, defender, joust, space invaders, etc)

Have you ever played asteroids on original hardware?
>>
File: milli-1.png (6KB, 240x256px) Image search: [Google]
milli-1.png
6KB, 240x256px
I was born in the mid-eighties, so I just barely missed out on the early arcade generation. The NES was my first console, but my older brother later acquired a dedicated Pong machine, which we occasionally played.

I remember curiously picking up some arcade compilations for the PS1 in my teenage years and getting into classics like Gauntlet and Millipede. Some of the respective Atari-console ports of these games were too watered down for me to enjoy, but I did like the arcade originals. I think the farthest I can go back is 1980, when Centipede was released.

I'm also a sucker for some of the newer ports and remakes, like Centipede for PS1.
>>
First console was PS1 and born in 95.
I do play games from the 3rd generation and the graphics aren't an issue since it's the same level I had on my GBC, hell a bit better too.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.