[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the Ys games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: ys.jpg (128KB, 1668x942px) Image search: [Google]
ys.jpg
128KB, 1668x942px
Thoughts on the Ys games?
>>
I played 1-3 on the PS2 so far and I enjoyed them.
>>
>>3277803

Ive enjoyed all the ones Ive played
>>
File: ys_4_cover.jpg (2MB, 2600x1572px) Image search: [Google]
ys_4_cover.jpg
2MB, 2600x1572px
I played I and II on the TurboGrafx and really had a blast - easily my favorite game on the system, even if there were a few too many moments of "hug wall until hidden passage reveals itself" and "use obscure item here!" to progress.

I really want to get to play Ys 3 and 4 on the PCE, and I have a stack of CDr's just for that purpose - especially with the fan-translation of 4 being out there.
>>
>>3277803
Played books 1 and 2 on the Turbo Duo back in the early 90s. Loved both games.
Didn't particularly care for Ys3 but Ys4 was good stuff.
>>
File: 2000px-MSX-Logo.svg.png (64KB, 2000x828px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-MSX-Logo.svg.png
64KB, 2000x828px
I have a:
MSX 2
NES
SMS
PCE DUO R
MD
SNES
SATURN

can anyone tell me what Ys games should I play on what system and in what order please?
>>
>>3278287
Start with Ys Eternal/Complete/Chronicles on Windows.
>>
File: ys chart.jpg (595KB, 2158x1961px) Image search: [Google]
ys chart.jpg
595KB, 2158x1961px
>>3278287
>>
>>3278361
Thanks anon i'll start with Ys 1 and 2 on PCECD I guess
>>
>>3278361
I might download I+II on Virtual Console, is there any differences I should know of or is it a good port?
>>
>>3278373
the turbografx/pce remake is one of the greatest games of all time, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
>>
I have no idea what is this. How does it compare to FF ?
>>
>>3278503
It has little in common with FF aside from both starting in 87.
Ys is an action RPG with continuous story revolving around the red-headed Adol Chrstin and the ancient land of Ys.
Characteristic is the bump combat where you attack by running into opponents at an angle.
>>
>>3278373
Couldn't tell you what's different but the vc version is how I played and I enjoyed it. Its only like $8.
>>
>>3278361
Out of date senpai.

V has been translated.
>>
>>3279220
Is it worth playing at all?
>>
>>3279397
Not him but, it's okay
>>
Ys game bundle in on sale on GOG right now.
>>
>>3279397
Just beat it. I'd say play it after the other big Ys games we talk about in these threads. It's mediocre, but easy to breeze through and has its moments (love how people forget Ramzen Gorge when saying the game looks generic/bad). The game's definitely rushed, as Legend of Xanadu II that same year's a lot better in every way, especially programming. And I think it has enormous potential for a remake. The original draft (transcriptions here: http://www2.jan.ne.jp/~psyzans/Kura/Kuramenu.html) is way more coherent, only lacking Stoker and Foresta's part of the story. Haven't tried the PS2 remake yet.
>>
>>3280850
Ys V in the Napishtim engine would've been great.

The music sucks and would need to be remade from the ground up, though.
>>
>>3281734
The compositions are great and feel like Ys. Here's a pop rock version of Charged Trial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMnYBfgW9U

Arrangement of Field of Gale, starts as FM-synth before turning into metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vweoqo0aAgw

It doesn't have as many horse-galloping beats as earlier Ys soundtracks, but V already sounds good and could sound even better. Tracks like Sand Castle, Wind Knight, and Theme of Kefin already sound appropriate.
>>
>>3278287
I & II: Chronicles+ (PC)
III: Felghana (PC)
IV: All three of them (Mask of the Sun, The Dawn of Ys and Memories of Celceta)
V: Original SFC version
VI: PC
Origin: PC
Seven: PSP

Just play I & II before Origin, and Napishtim before Felghana/Origin (same engine but less refined)
>>
>>3278287
Play all the Turbografx ones thourgh 1&2 - 4 - 3 and probally the one on the Saturn, Ys V (maybe if you're addicted to Ys)
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.