[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo 64DD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: 64DD.jpg (2MB, 2960x2360px) Image search: [Google]
64DD.jpg
2MB, 2960x2360px
Let's talk about the Nintendo 64DD. A relatively obscure piece of hardware released at the very end of the Nintendo 64's lifecycle, this accessory had been continually teased to the public since 1995 as Nintendo's answer to the innovations of the Playstation and later the Dreamcast - namely greater storage capacity and online capabilities for games. It only ever saw a release in Japan, only sold around 15,000 units, only came with 10 pieces of software and all support for the product was withdrawn less than a year after it came out.

So, has anyone here ever had any first-hand experience with this oddity? It seems incredibly strange to me as someone who was only even aware of this product a few years ago that for a time the Nintendo 64 was an online console that had its own social network. If it was released a few years earlier like Nintendo had originally planned I can't imagine it not being a success.
>>
Only worthwhile game was Mario Artist.

Does anyone known if you can use a DD on a non Japanese 64?
>>
>>3276021
That's a funny way to spell F-Zero X expansion.

The whole thing was shit there were no gaems.
>>
Always wanted to own one but not for $600
>>
>literally SegaCD/32X
>what could possibly go wrong
>>
>>3275936

It could have made sense and been a good idea if it were a CD addon with a modest hard drive and a modem.

The modem was already an addon (rand net), the CD addon would have allowed ports from PS1 and overcome the most glaring shortcomings of the system and the hard drive would have given it the ability to save data like the goofy DD zip disks did.

Only all of those features together would really have justified splitting the userbase with the release of an addon.
>>
The Mario Artist games have some really nice music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6d8bS-CoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVZqmgIsvo

64DD units are mad expensive and so are the games though. I never saw one IRL although I know a local collector from my city who has owned once since the early 00s.
>>
I played some of the 64DD games on emulator.
- Mario Artist Paint Studio: A nice Mario Paint successor, without the music editor. Very extensive editor.
- Mario Artist Talent Studio: I spent more time in this than I expected: It's nothing more than the Mii's predecessor with a movie maker. But damn, even the Miis weren't as customizable. You can even import Paint Studio drawings in it as textures for anything. It's the most limited one of the bunch, but man, it was fun.
- Mario Artist Polygon Studio: I'm surprised this exists. It's a simple model editor with lots of weird stuff like talking toasts, Wario Ware microgames (before Wario Ware existed)... It's still the hardest to use of the 3 but it is pretty powerful.
- Sim City 64: I couldn't play it extensively but it does look like a nice 3D and simplified version of Sim City 2000. Dr. Wright is back, too.
- F-Zero X Expansion Kit: The track editor can be complicated but it does work great. Car editor is meh but I still like it. The DD Cups are not meant for beginners.

If I want to play Doshin The Giant I'd rather play the GameCube version which is translated. I did not try Japan Pro Golf Tour 64.
>>
There is a guy on reddit who frequents the retrogaming sub that uploaded a pretty big gallery of him playing one at some convention.

Personally I've never played any of the games, but there are some people converting the game dumps to cart format (for ed64) since the games used all original hardware apparently that's possible, but I know mario artist won't work because those came with a toploader cart for some kind of shit, I forget what it is.
>>
>>3276508
Mario Artist came with an optional capture cartridge. You can still play those on ED64/64drive.
>>
You can play just about all of the 64DD games on a flashcart now, technology eh? Had it been legit a legit CD drive it could've been a real force and would've substantially cut production costs, unfortunately it was just a bit of a mess. It has by far the best version of F-Zero X though, stereo music and all.
>>
File: 0437278424188.png (114KB, 299x301px) Image search: [Google]
0437278424188.png
114KB, 299x301px
>>3276508
>reddit
>>
>>3276021
I'm pretty sure you cannot.
>>
File: 64DD.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
64DD.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3275936

I own a 64DD and some disks. In general, I agree with >>3276485 but I would say that talent studio is my favorite piece of software on it. The capture cart that comes with talent studio works well and you can also take pictures using a GB camera attached to a n64 transfer pak (quality is ass though).

Never tried emulating it, is there a workaround for importing files into the game?

Also, Paint Studio can have up to four players screwing around in it at once. Pretty neat.

I think the internet capability with the modem card and options for swaping disks, using disks as expansions for carts and being able to import media would have made it a great addition but it was released way too late. Not worth it at the price it is now and I'm not sure if it was worth it at release. Your better off emulating it... wonder if that Dezaemon 3D 64DD expansion disk was every dumped and set up for emulation?
>>
File: WARIO.png (14KB, 180x137px) Image search: [Google]
WARIO.png
14KB, 180x137px
>>3276025

F-Zero X Expansion is clearly the best game on the system but Mario Artist was also pretty good. Mario Artist: Polygon Studio laid the groundwork for the Warioware series which is a plus in my book. The first set of microgames in the original Warioware game? Came from Mario Artist, except you'd digitize objects in place of Wario. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nShk242IQc
>>
>>3276508
>reddit
just get out already
>>
File: 64dream9712-07.jpg (148KB, 497x695px) Image search: [Google]
64dream9712-07.jpg
148KB, 497x695px
>So, has anyone here ever had any first-hand experience with this oddity?

Some guy made a pinterest board cataloging all the Zelda DD stuff, but it's just hearsay. Not hands-on. https://www.pinterest.com/allytogood/zelda-64-disk-drive/

>If it was released a few years earlier like Nintendo had originally planned I can't imagine it not being a success.

The internet was still in its diaper if it had been out in 1997. It does show Nintendo was ahead of the game with interest in online, but too ahead. There is no way they could have sold the thing.

● Although the N64 has reached its true form with the release of the 64DD, consumers know very little about the system. We get a lot of questions asking, “Just what is the 64DD?”

● Miyamoto: We haven’t really been sure to what extent we need to explain it to magazines. The 64DD was originally meant as an alternative to CD-ROM. When it comes to the future of gaming media, Nintendo will continue to make cartridges, but we concluded that DD was a better option than CD for expanding the range of gameplay. It would have been easier to understand if the DD was already included when the N64 first came out. It’s getting harder to explain after the fact. (laughs) Here’s the difference between each media: CD holds a lot of data, DD holds a moderate amount of data and backs the data up, and ROMs hold the least data and process the fastest. By attaching a DD to the game console, we can drastically increase the number of possible genres. Distributing hardware that can make these new genres is a benefit of the long life of this industry. The market’s only going to shrink if there’s nothing but price drops and scale expansions for preexisting genres.
https://yomuka.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/itoi-miyamoto-interview-64dd/

It's hard to determine what Shiggy means by "genres." Like, does he mean the gameplay mechanics increase like Zelda was supposed to with hard memory features? Or does he mean player-made mods? Etc.
>>
>>3277270
Holy fuck, that's so cool. Smart how they manipulate the model into different positions for different interactions.
>>
File: 1464339184953.jpg (37KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1464339184953.jpg
37KB, 960x960px
>>3277295
>>3277270

Oh, I see what Miyamoto means by new genres here now >>3277284

TFW I could be living in an alternate universe where the 64DD was realized.
>>
>>3275936
Why aren't we talking about Doshin the Giant?
>>
File: segacd2.jpg (26KB, 630x330px) Image search: [Google]
segacd2.jpg
26KB, 630x330px
>WE ARE GETTING OUR ASS HANDED BY SONY WHAT DO WE DO?
>LETS RELEASE A CD ADD-ON FOR OUR CONSOLE IN THE END OF HIS LIFESPAM WITH A RIDICULOUS PRICE AND NO GAMES
>WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
>>
>>3277732
>WE ARE GETTING OUR ASS HANDED BY SONY WHAT DO WE DO?
But the Sega CD was released before the PS1 anon.

> IN THE END OF HIS LIFESPAM
More like "into its lifespan".

>NO GAMES
Had more notable ones than the 64DD I would say.
>>
>>3277732
Sega CD was fairly successful.
>>
>>3277732
Sega CD was only released because Sega were getting their ass handed to them by NEC in Japan
>>
>>3277750
>>3277751
>>3277914
I think the other anon (>>3277732) was trying to compare the N64DD with the Sega CD. It's not an apt comparison for the reasons you guys stated. If the 64DD is like any Sega add-on, it would be the 32X.
>>
>>3277942
The 32X wasn't presented as a beacon of hope years before it came out.
>>
>>3276021
You totally can, I run mine on an American system.
>>
I remember having daydreams about the 64DD, hoping it'd introduce level editors for Goldeneye (was really into Quake 1 level editing at the time) and maybe new campaigns, addons and whatnot. Quite the disappointment. when it didn't make it over here.

The only thing that reminds of it now is that Ocarina Master Quest for the NGC which I'm currently playing.
>>
>>3276021
Yep, the N64 region lock was limited to cartridge shape.
>>
File: GQGpeRr.png (373KB, 656x562px) Image search: [Google]
GQGpeRr.png
373KB, 656x562px
>>3277253
Dezaemon DD is dumped. I unfortunately cannot release the dumps I have, but they're useful for emulation, which unfortunately, emulating blue disks (development disks) is harder than expected.

Also I had fun with that Dezaemon DD disk on Ocarina of Time US version.
>>
>>3277732
Nintendo's blatant stubborn refusal of CDs is really where they went wrong. If anything, your picture should be Genesis and 32x, not Sega CD, which was a great idea at the time
>>
>>3280749
Idk about that. I was playing psx the other day and wew lad them loadtimes.
>>
>>3278750
Why would you even tell us about it if you're just going to hoard data instead of sharing it with a community that actually cares?
>>
It sucks knowing I'll never be a part of another hype train like we used to have in the 90's.
>>
>>3280787
Probably because his goal is to preserve the data as opposed to satisfy a self entitled brat.
>>
>>3281372
'Preserve' data by hiding it from the world until he dies and the data disappears. Such courage.
>>
>>3281381
>evil genius collector has a crate of explosives linked to a heart monitor that destroys his collection when he dies.
Top kek angry jelly little kid.
>>
>>3281732
I highly doubt he has a will written up stating "Upon my death release this specific piece of data", dumb ass. Get real. When dude dies the best bet anyone has to getting any of his data is picking it up at a theoretical estate sale that most likely wouldn't ever happen.
>>
>tfw no Fire Emblem DD
>tfw no Mother 3 DD
>tfw no Zelda DD
>tfw no Mario 64x4 DD
>>
Some people should have files that will only be released on their death, it could contain all sorts of shit that they wouldn't release while alive. Think whistleblowing, or some information that would be extremely important to release but they don't for commercial or other reasons. Also "well guys, this is what I really think", a post-humous autobiography and such.
>>
>>3281732
I personally have little interest emulating the 64DD.
>>3281745
This is exactly right. I simply can't comprehend having dumps of ultra-rare or obscure games and not sharing. If only one person has something like this, it's not archived, it's not preserved, and it's going to disappear.
>>
>>3281784
if something is rare enough there might be people who'll guess where it came from
>>
>>3281784
Then you you so mad bitch?
>>
the music tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_xXLKyqmc
>>
>>3281845
I don't understand why this is an issue.
>>3282223
I laid it out pretty clearly in the post you're replying to, asshat.
>>
>>3282575
>i whined like a little bitch in the post you're replying to, asshat.
FTFYK
>>
>>3282594
Maybe if you suck that guy's dick hard enough he'll let you see his ROMs, bb!
>>
>>3277270
>Mario Artist: Polygon Studio laid the groundwork for the series that killed off Wario Land
>which is a plus in my book
Kill yourself.
>>
>>3282758
They coexisted for a while. You can't just blame Wario Ware because it became more popular. If anything, bland shite like New Super Mario Bros. killed off Wario Land by robbing the series of its niche
>>
>>3277732
Sega CD was ahead of the curve and came out during the SNES years. Unfortunately it did suffer on the software end but there are a handful of those games that are still incredibley memorable. My first experience with The Lunar franchise was on Sega CD.

Sega fucked up because the overextended themselves. They had three different systems in play when Nintendo only went from SNES to N64. And eventually Sony crashed into the scene with PlayStation.

Gamers got tired of Sega baiting people into their systems only abandon support within a short period of time.

I still say that had Sega just left things alone and went straight from Genesis to Saturn and then onto Dreamcast, they'd still be in the hardware bausiness today. While I personally loved the Sega CD, the support wasnt great and it spawned the 32X which was not needed and only hurt their brand. By the time Saturn came out, a lot of people were pretty much like "fuck you Sega, not this time.".
>>
Nintendo intentionally sabotaged 64DD sales because they thought it'd fail.

What retard goes with the mentality "It might fail, so we should assure it fails"?!
>>
>>3282575
You laid out that you're retarded, that's all. You don't own any unreleased games so you don't know whether people who do archive and preserve them. I know for a fact most people do. I also know for a fact many people hate sniveling little self entitles shits who feel they have the right to have anything they want. You can spout all the preservation bullshit you want but at the end of the day you know you're just one of those shits.
>>
>>3283503
Not the anon you're replying to, but I can't imagine anybody more deserving of the title "self-entitled little shit," than somebody who hoards away perfectly replicable content just to keep it from the rest of the world. That's both selfish and cowardly.
>>
>>3278750
Jackass.
>>
Can you play 64DD stuff on a flashcart?
>>
>>3282838
They probably could have still came out with the Saturn and the Sega CD had they never made the 32x, and made the Saturn backwards compatible with Sega CD games.
>>
>>3283662
Can you read the thread? If I gave you the answer would you even be able to read it? Can you even read these questions?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.