[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Donkey Kong Country General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: DKC2 Title Screen.png (688KB, 688x593px) Image search: [Google]
DKC2 Title Screen.png
688KB, 688x593px
Holy fuck this game is hard. I only owned 1 and 3 as a kid, I played a bit of 2 at friend's houses and always struggled with it but just assumed the particular level I was playing was hard. But now that I'm playing it as an adult, I realize the game starts hard and gets harder. The first world is harder than any of the worlds in DKC and DKC3, and the bosses of each world always whoop my ass a few times before I figure them out. I can see why people think this game is the best in the series, I'm just not sure I agree. I enjoy a good challenge but this game is almost too much. DKC3 will always be my favorite I think. Maybe my opinion will change though, I only just got to Gloomy Gulch.
>>
git gud
>>
>>3268625

That's the idea. It's fun to git gud. I've had to git gud a bunch of times already just to get to where Gloomy Gulch. Now I have to git gud at dealing with these stupid disappearing ghost vine things.
>>
tropical freeze is harder lol
>>
File: 1456597735221.jpg (41KB, 380x358px) Image search: [Google]
1456597735221.jpg
41KB, 380x358px
>>3268621
>any donkey kong game
>hard
>>
>>3268641

DKCR is pretty tough, never played Tropical Freeze or the re-release of DKCR.
>>
It's not really that hard save for a few gimmicky levels like the wind ones and the Lost World.
I completed the game 102% and unlocked the true ending last week, it was really fun but the way some bonuses were hidden is bullshit, there are bonuses in completely counter intuitive places and in places the player can't possibly know unless he reads a manual or finds through sheer luck, like the ones inside walls that you can walk through.
DK3 did bonuses better, most were easy to find but the hidden ones were hidden in places that made sense for the curious and smart player to explore.
>>
File: 1459217310762.jpg (54KB, 540x472px) Image search: [Google]
1459217310762.jpg
54KB, 540x472px
>Can beat Rayman 1, Crash 1/2, Mr Gimmick, to 100%
>Can't even get half way through any DKC game
>>
DKC1 has cooler style and music imo.
>>
>>3268757
I agree, but 2's level design and overall gameplay is superior.
>>
>>3268762

DKC3 strikes has the best difficulty curve though. DKC spikes randomly and DKC2 is more of a cliff than a curve.
>>
>>3268715

Is there anyway to tell which bonuses you've already completed without completing them all and seeing the checkmark on the coin?
>>
>>3268780
I mostly agree with this, except 3 has two insane levels that nothing in 1 or 2 comes close too: Lightning lookout and rocket rush. Lightning lookout is awesome because it is a true, fair, difficult level that you have to rise to the challenge of. Rocket rush is just gimmicky horse shit.

Then again I've always thought 1 was really easy in general. Only level I ever struggle with in that game is loopy lights.

Never understood the "snow barrel blast is hard" meme, but that seems to be the level always thrown out their when talking about difficulty in DKC.
>>
Animal Antics in DKC2 pisses me off to no end
>>
>>3268810
A stage will have an exclamation point after its name if you found all the bonus levels in it.
>>
Music Rankings:

DCK2 > 1 > 3

3's music just feels so uninspired which is shocking because it was the same guy as 2
>>
>>3269101
It was mainly composed by a woman, Evelyn Fischer. David Wise only gave a helping hand. The music is not too bad but does not catch up to the other 2 games.

>>3268845
It's difficult but manageable until the Squawks part, which is pure bs.
3 still has the hardest level in the trilogy, i don't remember the name i think it's Toxic Tower or Poison Tower.
>>
>>3268621
im sorry sir, but you goddamn suck at platformers if you think donkey kong is that hard
maybe a few levels you have to continue on but jeez GET GUD son or go home
>>
>>3270308
Toxic Tower is in 2, not 3.

And it's not even the hardest level in 2.
>>
>>3268621
Are you playing it on real hardware? Are you playing it when alert? DKC2 shouldn't be any harder than the others, I can't help but think you're just playing it in poor conditions, either physical or technical and it's making the game hard for you artificially.

Like if you're playing this on an emulator on an old LCD with slow updates with vsync on with a wireless controler while sleep dreprived and hungover of course it's gonna be hard. If you're playing while alert on a SNES hooked up to a CRT THEN you just need to get good.
>>
I really liked DKC1 when I played it at Christmas last year but I'm not enjoying DKC2. It seems like it made everything about the first game worse.
>>
>>3270319

I never said I was giving up you tool.
>>
>>3271017

Yes I'm playing it on real hardware on a Sony Wega TV. The only thing collectors and purists might balk at is I have the player's choice version of DKC2 and not the original. As for state of mind, I enjoy playing games stoned but that has never been a problem for me in the past and I doubt it's the problem here. Hell, there isn't really a problem, it's just a tough game. In DKC and DKC3, I rarely run out of lives but it's happened at least once per world in DKC2.
>>
File: pizza party 234.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
pizza party 234.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
bought this game recently and beat the whole thing in 1 sitting
>>
>Dong Cunt
>hard

There's that meme again!
>>
>>3268832
>tfw Lightning Lookout used to be my brick wall as a kid
>I was able to beat it but not after countless attempts and putting the game down for long periods of time
I wish I still found it difficult. I can get through it on a single attempt now.

Some of the Krematoa levels are still pretty challenging though.
>>
>>3271478
>implying you're not memeing when you claim a challenging game is easy
>>
>>3268715

In DKC2, 102% is doable without a guide. What its OK.

But in DKC, 101% is IMPOSSIBLE without a guide or something like this. You can achive 100%, but that fucking last 1%... THAT bonus hidden in another bonus stage...

And maybe, that was the original intention:

If you want to obtain 100%, is possible. But there is some EXTRA SECRET to obtain 101%
>>
>>3271495
It's not impossible. There's an arrow pointing right to it. Anyone searching for secrets would know something is up.

Also it's entirely possible to get that secret accidentally. You just need to get 3 single bananas.
>>
>>3271526

Yeah, pretty possible to see that arrow, AND to think "I need to obtain the worst prize in the bonus to access here".

Twisted as fuck...
>>
>>3271561
At least they put it in the first half of the stage so you can keep killing yourself to figure it out :^)
>>
>>3268832
>Rocket Rush

This is a common complaint but once you figure out the mechanics behind it it's actually very simple. The team behind the GBA remake evidently didn't understand either so they ended up dumbing down the controls and removing a bunch of enemies.

There are a few bits like that in the trilogy where you'd expect people to figure it out fairly quickly but they just struggle over and over instead, with Lightning Lookout being the other obvious one.

It's basically the carnival night zone phenomenon with less meme.
>>
File: 1448662543799.png (275KB, 452x409px) Image search: [Google]
1448662543799.png
275KB, 452x409px
>>
>>3271495
>THAT bonus hidden in another bonus stage...

Funny because I actually managed to find this bonus by accident when I was little (I didn't beat it 101%, though). I got the single banana in the first slot, then proceeded to get the three of them in a row, because why not. When it rewarded me with a barrel I got confused as fuck, but after playing around with it I managed to open the secret passage to the second bonus.

I consider that bonus in Web Woods (DKC2) a lot harder to find. Who the hell would ever think of going ALL the way back following that damn canon ball? Specially considering most players would've killed the Kremlin before he even shoots it.
>>
>>3271495
I remember finding THAT bonus room on accident a long time ago on GBC (my first time playing DKC). I thought it was a glitch because of how you have to jump towards the wall with the barrel, or else you'll get kicked back to the main level.
>>
>>3271017
IMO DKC 2 is a decent bit harder than 1 but when people act like it's impossible i definitely don't understand
>>
>>3268718
what happened???
so what about
>shinobi?
>smw?
>or any konami based side scroller?
DKC is not that hard of a series it's like entry level...
>>3268832
this basically...but 2 is really the overall best to me. but I dont get why people hate on DK3 music though? its a different guy but who cares? the stuff is pretty good.
>>
>>3271461
It's only a few hours long. Of course you beat it in one sitting. I have trouble imagining someone playing this for 12 hours.
>>
File: Banana.gif (4KB, 69x48px) Image search: [Google]
Banana.gif
4KB, 69x48px
>>3272831
The big arrow made of bananas pointing at the walls might have been a clue.
>>
>>3271495
>DKC2
>102% doable without a guide

I disagree. Like i said before, there are bonuses hidden in ridiculous places.
I honestly don't believe anyone who says he found all the bonuses completely by himself unless he spent days searching for them.
>>
>>3273321
Yes, but it still tells you nothing about following the canon ball all the way back to the wall.
>>
>>3268715

>>3272803
>>3272852
>>
>>3273463
I got 102% without a guide and I'm definitely not a very good gamer, especially at 100%ing games. It is my favourite game of all time though. In fact one of the amazing strengths of this game I find is how there is practically nothing cheap or boring all the way to 102%. Sometimes you'll be exploring around and wishing you could find it, that just builds up to the ecstasy when you do.

If you think of the bits you can't find as like a puzzle, how did they hide it away.... and it's 2D, so sooner or later, you're bound to find it. I admit that one or two or three times I ended up getting it by accident (in one stage literally just falling into the bonus stage by accident!), but I just made it and I was so proud I did!!! In total contrast I think DKC3 and especially DKC have bonus levels in really awkward and cheap places that you would never find naturally. There are bonus levels in DKC with no markers where you literally have to jump off a platform to your apparent death to find a bonus stage.
>>
>>3273463
The only level with bonuses that feel like bullshit to find is Chain Link Chamber. The DK Coin location in that is pretty stupid. Arguably glimmer's galleon too, though that's not as bad.

Othereise everything in DKC2 is hidden quite well, and fairly.
>>
>>3270319
>maybe a few levels you have to continue

You may want to fix that bit before you start trying to condescend others. The DKC games have a decent amount of difficulty. Not super difficult, but not mario/kirby easy either.

>>3270641

I'm guessing he's referring to the level in the last world of 3 where your controls are all reversed. Could be wrong though.
>>
>>3269101

I really liked the overworld and subworld themes in 3 and the gangplank galleon in 1. Stickerbrush symphony is the best track in the series though.
>>
I really can't beat toxic tower, fuck that shit
>>
loved this game, had some pretty difficult levels, but always fun. The true ending though simple was a really nice touch
>>
>>3269101
My ranking would be 1>2=3

Some songs from the second and third game really stand out like Rockface Rumble, Nuts and Bolts, Forest Interlude and Bayou Boogie. However, the first game has got songs like Aquatic Ambiance that are still just as amazing to listen to as I did after two decades. I also think the first game has the best collection and balanced OST from the trilogy.
>>
File: spyro.jpg (11KB, 204x201px) Image search: [Google]
spyro.jpg
11KB, 204x201px
You dont know what is game if you not try and attempt to clear every stage with Spyro.
One of my favourite and best adventurous game ever since I have borned.
In such cases like a Spyro I always fucking miss each game to found on particular stage.
For whom who play for first time is piece of unknowledge.
I appreciate this japannese man who create this fucking best game for motherfucker like me.
God bless Japan. Spyro forever in my heart and in my dick
>>
>>3276169
DKC2's music is considered not just the best Donkey Kong trilogy music, nor the best SNES music, but the best music of the 16-bit era and the fourth generation of videogames.

1 also has incredible music and so does 3, even it it doesn't catch up to 1 and 2, and that's fine, but 2 is on another level, it's a masterpiece.
>>
>>3276170

Take your broken English back to whatever 3rd world shit hole you crawled out of.
>>
>>3276202
>DKC2 music better than FFVI
>DKC2 music better than Chrono Trigger

NOPE
>>
>>3276202

Yep. To say anything is better than DK2 is absolute insanity.
>>
>>3276202
And I suppose you are the wise sage of objective musical taste?
>>
>>3273807
Sometimes you have to use a bit of your critical thinking skills anon
>>
>>3268621
>Nintendo kiddies think DKC2 is hardcore gaming
>>
>>3276259
It is indeed, although those games have great music at well
>>
>>3276437
>an arrow
>oh it obviously means that I should wait for a Kremlin to shoot a slow canon ball and then follow it all the way back to a part of the level that has no decent indication that it has any bonus near it whatsoever, and all that considering canon balls aren't even used to open holes in any other part of the game

It requires a good intuition, not critical thinking skills
>>
File: dc4.gif (3MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
dc4.gif
3MB, 360x270px
>>3268621
>This game is hard.
KEK
dkc3 was the hard one but only with the TUFST code.
>>
>>3276170
Is this a new meme?
>>
>>3268621
It had some choke points (for me : Any bramble vine level or those with the skull carts), but so does every DKC to be honest, I wouldn't say it's particularly worse than the other two.
>>
>>3277153
oh shut the fuck up asshole, it was a good puzzle.
>>
File: swamp[1].jpg (53KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
swamp[1].jpg
53KB, 480x600px
>>3268621
I never understood the "DKC2 is impossible" meme. Maybe it's because I played it as a kid, but I always thought this game was pretty easy.

While I think the DKC trilogy is overall a bit overrated, the second entry is easily one of my favorite games of all time, and one of the finest platformers in existence. However, if I were to criticize one element of the game, it's that it's too easy. I always have 99 lives around world 3, and I can usually 102% it in about three hours.

What particular parts of it do you find so hard, OP?
>>
>>3277336
>I think the DKC trilogy is overall a bit overrated
only the first game is overrated
the second gets the praise it deserves and the third might even be underrated
>>
>>3277230
>being this buttfucked for literally nothing

Did I ever say it is a bad puzzle? My point is that it's a way too cryptic, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to solve without a guide. This game have the most well hidden bonuses of the trilogy by far. The one in Web Woods might not even be the most difficult to find. Out of my head I can mention the bonus hidden behind the wall in Chain Link Chamber or that bonus hidden on top of the other in Haunted Hall with not a single indication that you have to jump there.

Again, they don't require a guide, but are too cryptic nonetheless. And no, this doesn't make the game bad or is a bad thing itself, specially if you like exploration. In fact, I like DKC2 too, it's definitely in my top 10 platformers.
>>
>>3268621
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJyx_yr10G0
>>
>>3273285
>smw
what?
>>
>>3277453
>or that bonus hidden on top of the other in Haunted Hall with not a single indication that you have to jump there.

False. Cranky flat out tells you to look for two placed together. I'll take the Chain Link Chamber one though.
>>
>>3276460

First of all, I'm definitely older than you. Second of all, I never said DKC was "hardcore" gaming, what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>3277336
>99 lives around world 3

Wanna know how I know you use save states?
>>
>>3277721
It's pretty easy to not die up until then (honestly I can count on one hand the levels in this game that you're likely to die on A few times), but who the hell gets 99 lives by then? You'd have to replay levels a shitload to get that.
>>
>>3277596
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJyx_yr10G0
>>
>>3277721
>>3278460
>implying

DKC2 is a breeze, man. And no, I never farm lives, since I very rarely die whenever I replay it. There's tons of secrets in the game though, so maybe I just know about more of them than you.

I usually just save at Wrinkley's and reset the game to start off with 5 lives again whenever I max out the counter. It feels kinda shallow to collect bananas and balloons, while never seeing the life counter increase.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.