[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wario Land series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: serveimage.jpg (317KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
317KB, 640x360px
Favorite? Least favorite? Let's discuss Nintendo's best handheld platformers. Wario Land 4 discussion is perfectly fine, chill out anon.
>>
File: virtual-boy-wario-land.jpg (41KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
virtual-boy-wario-land.jpg
41KB, 300x300px
>>
>>3266927
This seems to be a consensus around here. As for least favorite, I'm not crazy about going through 3 right now. I 'get' the invincibility concept, but honestly, sometimes I'd rather just die and respawn, then retread multiple rooms because of an unfortunate status effect.

Speaking of 3, which levels do they highlight after you get the throwing glove? I missed one of them.
>>
File: RetroArch-0603-154652.png (5KB, 800x720px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0603-154652.png
5KB, 800x720px
WL1 is great in a kind of austere, simple way. Four colors, nothing too complicated going on. Even when playing it on GBC they left it tastefully monochrome and only added color to the sprites.

I find it very relaxing to play.
>>
>>3266960
Definitely one of the comfiest GB games. It's actually surprising how fleshed out it is compared to Mario Land 1 & 2.
>>
File: wl2.png (1MB, 898x900px) Image search: [Google]
wl2.png
1MB, 898x900px
>>3266908
I really, really like II's game design.
>>
>>3266978
The branching paths were incredibly cool to my middle school mind. But like 3, I'd prefer just being able to die. I think that's why I put 1 and 4 in a different tier.
>>
I haven't actually played 1 or 2 yet, I grew up with 3 and 4 and love them to death though.
I said "yet".
>>
>>3266994
1 is a must play. Besides Pokemon, it's probably the second most technically impressive OG GB game.
>>
>>3267010
Since I actually played 4 first, then 3, I was going to play 2 before 1 in a similarly retarded fashion, should I just play 1 first?
>>
>>3267017
I mean, you're already going backwards, why not keep up the trend. You can get sort of a reverse appreciation of how the series evolved.
>>
>>3267019
That's what I was thinking, it's fun seeing how things were improved upon, eg the dashing mechanic and it's animations appear to improve with the jump to GBC.
>>
File: warioland-vb-3ds.png (222KB, 600x528px) Image search: [Google]
warioland-vb-3ds.png
222KB, 600x528px
2 > VBWL > 4 > GBWL > 3

Wario Land 3 was a mistake. Locking away your abilities and making you explore each level 4 times sucks.
>>
>>3267046
No, you're wrong because Wario Land 3 was good.
>>
>>3267048
I gotta agree with him. I appreciate the novelty, but the ability locking, and backtracking half a level if you slip up is infuriating. It has good ideas, but doesn't execute them that well. 4 perfected them, imo.

Also the same shitty golf minigame for every blocked treasure. Not a fan.
>>
>>3267058
I must have just played it well, I didn't feel like I was backtracking, I didn't mind re-playing when things had been changed.
I didn't even mind the golf game either.
I used to prefer 4 when I was younger, but the more I played 3 I decided it was my favorite. Maybe I'll love 1/2/vb.
>>
>>3267065
By backtracking, I mean replaying half a level after an unfortunate status effect shoots you back to the beginning. It basically boils down to single hit deaths here, because you're starting from the beginning after getting hit once. That shit needed to die with the NES.

Just going back through the levels to see the changes isn't particularly painful.
>>
Am I going to trigger anyone's autism by posting about Wario Land: Shake It? Because it's by far the best Wario Land game and it plays enough like the rest of the series that I think it should be allowed.
>>
>>3267115
>Shake It
>best Wario Land game
How can someone's taste be this shit?
>>
>>3267115
It's a great fangame for sure.
>>
>>3267115
You're not alone, but you are among fools.
Have you genuinely ever completed any of the original Wario Land games? I enjoyed Shake It to a degree, but it was more art than game, it just wasn't clever enough.
>>
>>3267153

I've played all the Wario Land games as they were released.
>>
>>3267158
Oh shit my man, I apologise!
What do you like so much about Shake It? I've wanted to re-play it recently, but I can't bring myself to it after my first play through.
>>
>>3267145
>official Nintendo product
>fangame

I'm sorry your autism got triggered. To be fair I did use the autism tags.

>>3267162

I've replayed it a number of times, it's worth it I think. I just love the graphics, the music, the level design, the new mechanics, it's the perfect evolution of the Wario Land series. I also love that it wasn't Wario World 2. Not that Wario World is bad, just that one is enough.
>>
>>3267167
How is Wario World honestly? I think it looks kind of meh but I assume it gets better later on or something, should I play it for the first time in 2016?
>>
>>3266908

Wario Land 4 is NOT RETRO FAGGOT
>>
>>3267192
Shut the fuck up wee lad
>>
>>3267181

I think it would hold up in 2016, not really worth replaying though. It's exactly what you'd expect a Wario game to play like in 3D, I just think the formula works better in 2D.
>>
>>3267167
>>official Nintendo product
Technically, it was done by ex-Goemon designers, not Nintendo.

Anyway, the problems with Shake It:

>tedious/subpar level designs (especially Subwarine)
>have to farm money to open up new levels
>waggle gimmick should've been optional or gone
>plays it safe by taking too many ideas from WL4
>>
>>3266908
I miss his old round hat. It should come back.
>>
File: wario-laughs-at-poor-people.gif (913KB, 400x245px) Image search: [Google]
wario-laughs-at-poor-people.gif
913KB, 400x245px
http://poal.me/r9a9fy

VOTE, NOW!
>>
finna play some wario land 4 on my 3ds ambassador
>>
>>3267631
Finna play the entire series on my A9LH XL. Would post a screenshot of the collection, but idk how.
>>
>>3267046
>making you explore each level 4 times
You explore different parts of the level each time so I don't see how it could be bad. It's basically like another level branching out of the same starting point.

>>3267089
>replaying half a level after an unfortunate status effect shoots you back to the beginning. It basically boils down to single hit deaths here, because you're starting from the beginning after getting hit once

Well, 'half a level' is an exaggeration. Specially when you compared it to a single hit death that literally sends you to the beginning of the level. In WL3, you're rarely sent far from the place you got hit / affected. Usually the game just sends you a few squares back and you're ready to try again.
I actually prefer this style of gameplay over dying. Mostly because you don't need to replay any previously beaten parts of the level, just those related to the specific part you failed. I particularly love in WL3 when, after I failed a boss fight, I can simply give a few steps to re-enter the boss room and try again; no need to replay the level itself.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.