[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ Translates Romancing Saga 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

This is the thread for the translation of RS 2 snes title. We teach them how to translate shit. Hackers and translators are welcome.
>>
/a/ has a daily japanese thread, they may want to help us. I'll call for help
>>
>>3266261
They'll help you learn Japanese, they won't translate for you.
>>
Here's how you can start translating Japanese stuff within a week

>Start by familiarizing yourself with the Japanese writing system by reading Tae Kim's sections hiragana, katakana and kanji. Skipping the videos is fine.
www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing

>Grind the hiragana and katakana column by column until you remember them all somewhat consistently, should take 3 to 5 hours. Hiragana should be properly memorized, katakana you can just look up for when you need it.
http://realkana.com/

>Read Tae Kim's grammar guide up to the end of essential grammar. Don't get caught up on hard vocab or big tables of verb conjugations, just get familiar with it. Can take up to a week.

>Get the rikaisama add on and download kanjitomo so you can cheat through all the kanji, no one has time for those.

That's all you need to translate like half of everything Japanese. Good luck with your shitty games.
>>
>>3266258
>ITT: OP tries and fails to make people translate jap shit
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79KB, 1920x1080px
>>3266297
Thanks /a/. And good luck with that FBI witness protection program we're all rooting for you.
>>
>>3266298
How many people are even interested in this? It seems more practical for them to learn Japanese than take the effort to hack and translate it. A patch would only let them play another game, learning Japanese opens up a whole new universe.
>>
>>3266309
>>>/jp/
>>
>>3266258
Learning Japanese anon here, what is this game and why should we care? Why would we not just play it in Japanese ourselves, since we've done the work already? Why translate it?

(I know I could probably google, but why bother; it's OP / other board members who need to drum up interest in this, is it not?)
>>
>>3266309
>le translation meme
>>
File: 1646M[1].png (6KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1646M[1].png
6KB, 256x224px
>>3266325
Because:
- It is actually a good test for exercising your learnings. One thing is being eable to understand x and another thing is being able to translate it
- RS 2 is a classic game that deserves a translation >(inb4 recent release)
- It is a way to return every favor the internet has given to you
- You dont want to act like a faggot
>>
File: 1396497190086.gif (938KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
1396497190086.gif
938KB, 500x339px
>>3266331
Anon's asking what makes it so good that it deserves a translation. Like, what are it's features? What makes it stand out? I don't know anything about the game either.
>>
File: 0.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>3266297
>how you can start translating Japanese stuff within a week

>How to lose 10 pounds in 1 month
>How to make your spouse smile at you
>How to make America great again
>>
>>3266331
How does learning to translate help me unless I want to become a translator?
Would you want somebody with no translating experience to translate things for you?

How many classic games that deserve translations are there? There's a lot other games where only one version is translated or even none at all.
>>
>>3266339
It works because you skip vocabulary and only focus on easy grammar. You could get a French dictionary and go on some French website right now and probably start translating a good amount of sentences just by looking up the vocabulary.
>>
>>3266357
This is how you put out shitty translations. Manage, just barely, with the little that you can make out and "guesslate" the rest? Not that English-Only speakers could tell the difference, I suppose.

If the game is so great (still waiting on this to be elaborated on), then you would want it to be translated well, no?

>>3266357
Assuming that because French, which is highly related to English, is similar to English grammar & vocabulary = you can do the same for Japanese. It's an island language so different in grammar it doesn't even follow the basic SVO form, for starters.
>>
>>3266373
>Manage, just barely, with the little that you can make out and "guesslate" the rest?
Obviously you wouldn't do it on your own. Ask people that actually know Japanese to do the sentence you can't follow and translate the simple sentences yourself.

俺はこの世界の勇者だぞ
Literally requires no knowledge to translate if you have rikaisama.

>Assuming that because French, which is highly related to English, is similar to English grammar & vocabulary = you can do the same for Japanese.
I never said you can do the same for Japanese. It'll take a week of studying just to grasp the basic grammar, whereas for French you could do it right now. I just gave the example to elaborate on what I was talking about when I said translating Japanese.
>>
I'm baffled that people this stupid can even figure out how to use the internet.
>>
File: saga.png (44KB, 1016x539px) Image search: [Google]
saga.png
44KB, 1016x539px
>>3266382
How much grammar do you even need for RPGs?
Kanjitomo is a powerful tool but you need some basic understanding to use it.
In this case it couldn't recognize the 雄 in 英雄. You can get the correct word by reducing the selection to 英 and scrolling down the list but it might be too much for a complete beginner to recognize.
You also have to type Japanese to fully use it as it tends to work poorly with Kana.
>>
>>3266337
The game is groundbreaking. If you think about rpgs, you have these games where plot is linear (FF, Neverwinter nights), these others in which there is almost noplot/sandbox (Morrowind, Romancing SaGa 1), and then RS 2.

I cannot explain to you in a post what makes it special. I don't expect anyone to work on a translation without playing the game and judging by themselves. It is not like playing a fucking videogame takes you months.

>>3266343
Nah, i think many people working on the translation and discussing it may help, or at least draw attention to more experienced translators.
> How does learning to translate help me unless I want to become a translator?
First, it is a better motivator to translate say a game that doing anki. Second, because it forces you to think on different meanings rather than sticking to what you read. It forces to think on what you are learning from a different angle.
>>
>>3266516
>Second, because it forces you to think on different meanings rather than sticking to what you read.
No, it forces you to think about translations of a word instead of its actual meaning. Instead of thinking in Japanese you have to think in English or whatever language you translate.
I took five years of Latin where we did nothing but translate Latin texts. I still can't understand or speak it.
>>
>>3266516
So did you play the game raw without understanding the dialogue or can you speak Japanese and are already working on the translation?
>>
>>3266516
I don't expect a rundown of the entire game, but jeeze, going to wikipedia and reading a bit there was more helpful as to what the game actually IS than you guys have (even attempted to) explain in the whole thread. Also this was found:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.romancingsaga2_ww&hl=en
which raises more questions: why is this translation not good enough, why translate the sufami version instead?

I'm not trying to be accusing or condescending (though I probably sound that way), just it comes down to: why should we spend our time working on this project?

Sure we could learn SOMETHING from it, but we could learn from anything, theoretically. Why this in particular?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.