[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best and most accurate NES/SNES Emulators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: nes-snes.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
nes-snes.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
As someone who would like to play some NES and SNES titles, which emulator is the best and most accurate to the original consoles which does well enough the job of replicating the original experience?

As someone who never really got into games pre N64/PSX I'd like to know some basic stuff too I guess, any recommendations?
>>
>>3256051
Higan for SNES, accept no substitutes.
>>
>>3256056
Any filter that I should use? any settings recommendations?

I'm going to play Chrono Trigger btw.
>>
>>3256132
Slow down there cowboy. Do you even have an i7? Anything less and you won't even be able to start Higan.
>>
>>3256149
Really? I didnt know that emulator required such processing power, I play often with epsxe and so far I've been able to run everygame at any resolution any filter whatever.

My computer isnt anything special, I've got an i3 last generation 2cores 4threads(?) 3.5ghz I think, its 4000 something.
>>
>>3256158
>i3
zsnes for you then, bucko.
>>
>>3256051
Snes9x is just as accurate as bsnes performance but much less stressful on your system. Byuu himself even suggests people use the latest snes9x for normal play. Nestopia is the best Nes emulator hands down, and it runs fullspeed on everything from the 3ds to Android phones. It has tons of options, perfect compatibility and is very lightweight and portable. So you get a pretty consistent experience. Kega Fusion is the best sega system emulator for the same reasons nestopia is the best Nes emulator. Everything else a shit
>>
>>3256167
zsnes is the best unless you've got a powerful computer is that right?
I had absolutely no idea about that I'm new to emulators and such, thanks for the help.
>>
>>3256192
No zsnes is utter dogshit. I wouldn't even bother emulating if I were you, just buy a console.
>>
>>3256192
>Ignore the helpful post and ask about zsnes. Fuck you too then ya witty cunt
>>
>>3256191
I am playing Megaman 4 on fceux right now and I'm not noticing any problems thus far, but after I finish this playthrough I'll switch to Nestopia.
>>
>>3256196
I'm reading everything and I'm thankful for the help, how do I come off as a witty cunt exactly?

Might need to take a break, uh?
>>
>>3256209
>>3256201
That wasn't me. But fceux is fine too. You won't have issues in any games with it, and it's generally what speedrunners/ta runs use. It's made for slower systems and lacks support of some of the more obscure mostly unused mappers. By slower I mean nestopia has a min specs of like a Pentium 3 whereas fceux can, and does run on an original pentium processor and require sse. It's also designed for speedrjnning and has a wide variety of recording tools included that nestopia doesn't. Either one is perfectly fine for normal play. There's very little reason to switch.
>>
>>3256249
*And doesn't require sse.
You can run it on a 486 if you'd like and it should be playable with frameskip. As long as you use the original fceu and not x.
>>
>>3256254
You're really mad for no reason arent you? If I knew SNES needed a good processor I wouldnt had asked idiot.

>>3256249
I think I'll keep fceux then, it runs well and I'm not going to be messing with anything so its fine.
>>
>>3256051
For NES you have two choices: Nestopia and FCEUX. Nestopia if you just want to play the games and FCEUX if you want to do development or any hacking stuff because it has a lot of great tools built into it.
>>
>>3256273
If you have a Pentium 3 or better snes9x is very accurate and incorporates all of the bsnes fixes besides between line rasterization. (Which Steve snake is working on with the snes9x devs as he emulates it in kega Fusion without any speed issues like bsnes)
>>
>>3256309
My processor is an i3-4130 3.40ghz apparently, I know its not a very good cpu but at the time I didnt need a very good computer.

What is the difference between snes9x and bsnes exactly? Are there cons and pros to using one or another? thanks man.
>>
I use Higan for SNES and Nestopia for NES.

What's good for Game Boy? I've just been using Visual Boy Advance-M
>>
>>3256335
No there really isn't Snes9x is now more accurate than bsnes performance and runs much better. Bsnes/Higan just emulate things to an extreme degree of accuracy that isn't necessary in 99.9 percent of games. Byuu has played all commercial snes releases and has found only one helicopter game and a speedy Gonzalez game where it makes a difference. The speedy Gonzalez game now behaves correctly on both the latest snes9x and even zsnes sadly. The helicopter game uses some really obscure effect to display a shadow under the helicopter to show where your bomb is going to drop. The game is playable without this effect and is only marginally more difficult as a result.
>>
>>3256354
Holy shit, the more you know, I suppose that Byuu guy is the emulator guru, to be able to play all those games and emulate to the last detail.. thats some dedication.

Appreciate the help anon, I can go to sleep now.
>>
>>3256051
download retroarch and try bsnes-mercury. if that's too slow use Snes9x or download znes. those will run on anything.

The people on here that think an emulator not being 100% accurate ruins a video game probably don't play video games because if they did, they would know that minor differences can't destroy good game design.

Also, the thinking that the Super Nintendo's interpretation of a game's code is superior to say ZNES' interpretation of the same rom simply because the SNES was the original hardware is illogical and is essentially falling into the naturalistic fallacy.
On a case by case basis arguments can be made for the experience created by a SNES vs. a computer running ZNES (or any other emulator), but I think the obsession with accuracy shows ignorance for why people play video games, for the game design.

Just don't sweat it too much anon and enjoy Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3256381
Thanks for this post anon, It puts things into perspective, I really know shit about anything and I'm just trying to get a good experience with as less problems as possible so I can enjoy this game that I've heard so well about, I probably wouldnt really notice some minor things that most people here would so I'll take it easy.

I'll try every emulator and see which one I prefer.

I'll enjoy it, thanks.
>>
>>3256402
no problem. it's a great game.
>>
Soft modded wii. It's with it
>>
>>3256381
>download znes
No
>>
>>3256051
http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/SNESAccuracyTests.html

http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html
>>
>>3256746
While a good base to work from, the NES page is somewhat out of date. It has Nestopia 1.40 listed as the one used, when the most recent fork is Nestopia UE 1.47. Hell, it references 0.67 of PuNES when the recent version is 0.100.
>>
File: higanss.png (314KB, 1873x1023px) Image search: [Google]
higanss.png
314KB, 1873x1023px
Hey guys I dont understand why you told me NOT to run Higan.

I downloaded Megaman X and I've been playing the game for a while and I've had 0 problems whatsoever with accuracy higan v098.

The sound is great, the video is great, everything is working nicely, am I going to find any problems really? There is 0 lag whatsoever so far.

Is there any way to have fullscreen from top to bottom while keeping the aspect ratio? kind of like on epsxe?
>>
>>3257983
>I've had 0 problems whatsoever with accuracy higan v098
higan is accurate, if not the most accurate you'll get. It's also a resource hog. That's why people suggest to not use it. The other recommendations are, for most games "good enough", at a fraction of the resource requirement, making them useful on a far wider range of systems.

>There is 0 lag whatsoever so far
In some places that's a humblebrag
>>
>>3256051
Google or bust. Seriously, if you're too lazy to look up this stuff than you're not worth helping even on this site.
>>
>>3257992
No real humblebrag, my computer is rather shitty so I was really surprised with this outcome since I was told I needed an i7 for it to work well.
>>
>>3258018
the i7 thing was a bit off the charts, I'll give you that. Chances are you're not running a decade old system either though
>>
File: 03000048.jpg (58KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
03000048.jpg
58KB, 800x516px
>>3256209
Stop.
>>
>Nes
JNes
>SNes
Snes9x
>GBA
VisualBoyAdvance

I play on these and i don't know why would anyone not use them: fast, easy to use and whatnot.
>>
>>3256051
Best for NES is Nesticle
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.