[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super Mario Bros 3 vs Super Mario World

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1743700-jp_smw.jpg (117KB, 500x900px) Image search: [Google]
1743700-jp_smw.jpg
117KB, 500x900px
Even though I know Mario 3 is technically a better game, I can't put my finger on why I prefer Mario World. What does /vr/ think?
>>
>>3246304
i played World before 3. as such, i prefer World over 3, even though 3 is a "better game"

pretty retarded reason, but there you go.
>>
>>3246304
I like world because it's more open and exploratory. SMB3's levels are very dense, if you're skilled you can clear multiple obstacles in a single jump and clear the stage in under 30 seconds.

Meanwhile SMW made me feel like I was exploring, well, a world. A lot of that magic is gone now that I've memorized all the secrets, but it was an amazing feeling
>>
>>3246304

SMW had saving and you could replay levels. It also had Yoshi, better graphics and sound and more levels.
>>
>>3246304

>Even though I know Mario 3 is technically a better game

there is no "better game". it's all subjective

anyway, I like World better because I think the stage design is better. (larger & more open)
>>
Depends on what you value. SMB3 is an action platformer with exploration elements, SMW is an exploration platformer with action elements.
>>
>>3246304
I played the shit out of 3. Ive played a lot of world too, but not as much as 3. Mario 3 was a fucking thing man. World was more of a OMG SNES AND A NEW MARIO GAME thing. Halfway into the snes life span you weren't aching to play it.
>>
>>3246304
I appreciate the overall design of 3 but I love the exploration aspect of World.

3 has better pacing and is more challenging, and encourages more refined platforming skills, compared to World's more laidback feel. I also like the "style" of World much more, and it holds a greater charm to me.
>>
SMW has objectively better physics, and the 2D Mario game with the best physics to date.
Everything else is subjective.
>>
My first game was SMAS+W and I played all the games equally, not knowing one was a later release than the rest.
It striked me odd that the other games had only two 'action buttons' while SMW had extra buttons assigned for spin jump and screen scrolls.
SMW wins for me, but that's not saying the other games are 'bad'
>>
File: welp.jpg (25KB, 279x189px) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
25KB, 279x189px
>>3246376
>The rest are an endless stream of 1up collecting, babby playtime games.
Whatever you say pro star..
>>
>>3246321
>exploration platformer

I don't think that's a real genre
>>
>>3246620
>SMB3's levels are very dense, if you're skilled you can clear multiple obstacles in a single jump and clear the stage in under 30 seconds.
That's part of what makes it so fun. Exploration in World doesn't bother me too much, but it ultimately killed platformers.
>>
Ways in which 3 is better:
- Aesthetics (especially for the SNES version)
- Power-up variety
- Music

Ways in which World is better:
- Gameplay mechanics
- Level design
- Power-up usefulness

3 is sizzle, World is steak. They're both good.
>>
>>3246312
>saving
>better graphics and sound

Fixed in the remaster in All Stars, I loved the NES version, but there is no reason to play it today other than nostalgia, unlike SMB1 and The Lost Levels its not really a remake, its exactly the same, but better (the same for SMB2 USA).

>more levels

I didn't count them but I always felt them similar in lenght and if something without counting I would bet SMB3 has more levels (Both have 8 worlds, smb3 has 90 levels, smw has 96 exits, and there are plenty of levels with multiple exits so its not 96 levels).
>>
>>3246312
>>3247347

>you could replay levels

granted

>It also had Yoshi

granted, but you had more and more interesting power ups in smb3
>>
>>3247347
SMB3 has more levels but they're shorter. So they're pretty even.
>there is no reason to play it today other than nostalgia
IDK man, the physics in SMB3 All-Stars feel slighly off to me, but I can never put my finger on why.
>>
>>3247314
>what is metroidvania
>>
>>3247314
Platformer with large stages and multiple exits that rewards exploration.
Sonic CD is another example.
>>
>>3246994
Why was that post deleted? Jesus Christ the mods are fucking faggots. Kill yourselves already.
>>
>>3247539
>shitposter mad that his shitpost got deleted
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.