[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I listen to raw video game music? Do I need to make a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1726x884px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1726x884px
How do I listen to raw video game music? Do I need to make a board and buy the synthesizer chips like pic related?
>>
>>3243806
i think a flashcart and the actual system would work as well.
>>
>>3243806
Compared to some of the shit that gets called autistic here this goes far above and beyond.
>>
>>3243990
Yes what about it? Is this bad to you? Is it bad for someone to be dedicated to their hobby that they're willing to find a way to listen video game music without it being compressed in MP3 quality? Gee anon you sure are above me because I don't conform to your own social norms, you got me good.
In fact lets
Give this anon a big round of Applause for calling me "autistic"
>>
>>3243806
Just like rip and play the wav file on your pc
>>
>>3244004
Have you been in a rock? You can get plugins that read music ripped right from the ROM. I have hundreds of raw video game files and not one of them is MP3. chill out

http://www.zophar.net/music.html
>>
>>3244004
Jesus chill. I wasn't calling you autistic. We all love the shit out of games, I was just being sarcastic. I'm sure a lot of my modding projects would get mocked the same way. I was more mocking the notion of how people call things autistic here.
>>
>>3244032
>no snatcher rip from the tg16 version

Welp
>>
>>3243817
I think this is probably the right answer to the question OP was trying to ask. Interestingly the Everdrive does not support this but the Power Pak does.
>>
OP, were you referring to music from arcade machines? Or do these console-specific answers apply?
Image Source; it's the sound chips for the "1943" arcade game
http://www.geocities.jp/team_zero_three/YM2203/
>>
>>3244220
Both arcade and consoles, anon. I've seen videos where people have a motherboard with ym2151 chips installed on to them and of sorts hooked up to their laptops and I was thinking of that was a way to authentically listen to video game music without it being emulated. Because I strive to get a good quality of the original sound and some day compose my own versions with different Yamaha chips
>>
Something like this is pretty rad: http://youtu.be/Dm9TLXRWUOY
>>
>>3243806
Except for CD-based games, most retro games either used MIDI or FM synthesis. They didn't have raw uncompressed music.

This works just fine anyway >>3243817
Or the more autistic option>>3244019
Of course for FM and MIDI tunes, you'll need to record them to WAV or whatever format you like.Duh.
>>
>>3244032
>Shilling outdated ZSNES based software.
>ZSNES
>ZSNES
>>
>>3245051
>Except for CD-based games, most retro games either used MIDI or FM synthesis. They didn't have raw uncompressed music.
Even if this was true (it's not unless you start "retro" at like 1990) individual consoles still have discrete FM and MIDI synthesis hardware that sounds very different than a PC's.
>>
>>3243806
Just boot up your favourite game and go under options -> sound test.
>>
>>3245103
>individual consoles still have discrete FM and MIDI synthesis hardware
That's what I said. Now go back to retard school.
>>
>>3245181
You said most retro consoles use midi and fm sound. They don't.
>>
>>3245051
>>3245181

These posts are so misinformed it's absurd. FM synthesis is just one of many means of synthesis and Midi is just a standard for sending data that tells something to make sound, midi is not a sound signal in and of itself. The midi signal is used to tell the synthesizer to make the sounds. The synthesizer might be a PCM/"wavetable" synth or it might be an FM synth and both were found on retro computers and consoles. I shouldn't have to point out that consoles didn't use use midi and for computer games that did, the entire sound of the music changes depending on what kind of sound card/module you used, again, because the sound card was a synthesizer with preset sound banks that just respond to the midi signal. An FM based Ad-lib card has a different sonic character compared to a PCM sample Roland MT-32 module. The NES uses a square wave generator, the Genesis FM synths and a square wave generator, and the SNES used a pcm samples.

You're correct in that they don't have audio files in the sense that we think of them today, but then you go on to say that you can rip WAVs. You can't. CD audio systems did sometimes have Redbook standard audio on disk like in Saturn games.

>>3244234
Technically there's nothing wrong with a computer doing your FM synthesis. The ym2151 used in the DX keyboards is outdone by modern standards in synths like the DX7 emulator FM7 and it's more usable offshoot FM8. Now these are useless for your purpose, so I'm only mentioning it because I think certain "purist" mindsets are annoying. If you wanted to make music you could just look at the chip datasheets and mimic the behavior in a softsynth, but that may not be "authentic" enough for you.
>>
File: m1 raidenx.png (119KB, 1349x825px) Image search: [Google]
m1 raidenx.png
119KB, 1349x825px
>>3244234
For arcade machines you can also use M1 which is based on Mame.
>>
I use a "retrocade synth" for live music and it's doing great so far. It's FPGA based
>>
>>3246873
For who
>>
>>3243806

Does anyone have any good links on info and how to make the boards in OP's pic? I'm a computer engineer and am interested to see what I can learn from these things.
>>
>>3248015
I want to know too
>>
>>3243806
vgmrips.net/wiki/Libraries
>>
>>3248918
But how do I play the files? Do I make a circuit board too?
>>
>>3251260
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_gep
>>
You can just listen to what you want on youtube. You're making this more complex than it needs to be.
>>
>>3243806
if you want real hardware sound, it's generally far easier to a: use the sound test in a game, b: use a flashcart with whatever system specific format (eg, using a .nsf player on the NES, .vgm player for Genesis, .spc player for SNES, etc)

almost no point in building a board like that other than the fun of it (one thing I've wanted to do was build a board with a SID and a YM2151 strictly for synth purposes)
>>
>>3252213
Don't talk to me goober. Don't talk to me goober, I hope you feel good about yourself trying to defend women trying to get laid when they don't even put look at you well enough to deserve you.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.