[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living room retro emulator setup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: wii_u_vc_small.jpg (30KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_vc_small.jpg
30KB, 400x225px
I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to run 8/16/32 bit console emulators on my living room TV. I'm trying to decide whether I should just buy a used Wii U and jailbreak it, or build a mini ITX media center PC. Which option gives me the most bang for my buck? The Wii U would be a bit cheaper, but the ITX PC would be a lot more flexible and powerful. What does /vr/ suggest?
>>
>>3240634
Buy a backwards compatible Wii and install the Homebrew Channel. cheap and easy as fuck
>>
Get a HDMI and USB cables and hook up your computer to your living room. Costs less, offers more.
>>
>>3240662
I don't want to lug my big heavy desktop into the living room every time I feel like playing Zelda II or Tecmo Super Bowl. I'm looking for something that I can just leave in there that is reasonably priced.
>>
>>3240658
I'd be pretty skeptical about the original Wii running PS1 games comfortably.
>>
>>3240665
That's why you have to get those cables, otherwise you wouldn't have to pay anything. You can get 50ft cables for cheap and longer ones should still come cheaper than building a weaker PC.
>>
>>3240671
WiiSX runs like charm
>>
>>3240675
>>3240662
>USB
>50ft
Not with out it have its own power.
>HDMI
>50ft
>Cheap
Pick 2.
>>
>>3240634
Outside of a PC the Wii is probably the best emulation machine out there that's easy to load homebrew on. Alternatively you could probably load emulators onto a raspberry pi.
>>
>>3240692
Getting an active USB hub isn't a big deal.
50' HDMI is like $20. You're definitely not getting a new computer for that.
>>
>>3240634
If you're going for cheap and can handle it, get a Raspberry Pi and install RetroPi. All you need is the Pi, cables you probably already have (HDMI or 3.5mm to RCA for video, and a Micro USB power adapter), and some USB controllers.
>>
>>3240692
Only pick 2 if you're stupid and paying for the brand. I have 4 50' hdmi cables I picked up for $10 a pop between monoprice and Amazon and they work fantastic for gaming and movies with zero issue.
Same with USB as long as you do it right.
>>
>>3240658
This.

This is how I play retro games at the moment. Would recommend it.
>>
>>3240741
Do the Raspberry Pi's emulators have some form of anti-aliasing? If so, does it run the games at full speed when it's on? I really like having anti-aliasing when running 8/16 bit emulators on an LCD.
>>
>>3240658
>>3241013
Does the Wii's emulators have nice anti-aliasing? I don't want the games to look like horseshit, as they so often do on LCDs in the absence of filters.
>>
>>3241282
I'm not a tech fag. I have my wii connected using the component cable (sold separately ) and to me, picture looks fine on my 50" plasma
>>
I've just got my old Phenom II x4 PC with 2 DS4 controllers and a wireless mouse and keyboard for my livingroom emulator setup. The tower just sits behind the TV.

No fancy interfaces or whatever, just Win 7 with the font size set to 175% for comfortable reading from the couch.

Works WAY better then any other convoluted setup I've ever tried.
>>
>>3240692
$18
http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Ultra--wall-Installation-Supports/dp/B005OYT2D8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464137466&sr=8-3&keywords=HDMI+50%27
Shits cheap now man. Has been for a while. Only runs about $25 if you want one that is latest spec and can do 4k
>>
>>3240634
An original Wii runs NES, SNES, and PSX almost perfectly, plus you can get some N64 stuff from the Virtual Console running too. I'd recommend getting a CRT to play it on (you can get a good Trinitron for $15 at any thrift store), but that's not entirely necessary if you're already used to playing retro games on an LCD display.
>>
>>3241340
Actually considering you can switch Wii to 480p 16:9 it works equally well on HDTVs
>>
>>3240634
>build a mini ITX media center PC
I did this, it was awesome.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102140&cm_re=intel_nuc-_-56-102-140-_-Product

Here's a cheaper version of what I got. I think I paid around 270 for mine with an extra 30 or 40 bucks for cables, SDD and ram. I wanted to be able to use it as a media pc, always on torrent box, and also to emulate and play somewhat recent and indie games on it so I didn't mind shelling out a bit more.
>>
>>3241359
Just realized mini ITX is a larger form factor than that thing so you could probably even get it much cheaper for the same performance. But I wanted the low profile for aesthetics' and portability's sake.
>>
I use an rk3288 Android TV box with a couple of ds3 controllers. Cost 45 bucks, runs N64 and psx at 1080p with fxaa. Or even Mednafen PSX if accuracy is your thing. It's also very small, I have it powered through my tvs usb port and taped to the back of the TV with a Scott command strip. Been using it for nearly a year now without shutting it off and no issues.
>Inb4 lag droid
>>
Seriously what games run well in WiiSX? The only one I tried was SotN and the shit just wasn't playable
>>
File: intel-compute-stick-large.jpg (120KB, 2104x1267px) Image search: [Google]
intel-compute-stick-large.jpg
120KB, 2104x1267px
>>3241360
You can also get the compute stick or clones if you want portability over everything.
On the other hand ATX components will be the most bang for your buck and have the largest variety.
>>
File: tumblr_o7bwimlloI1t1od71o1_1280.jpg (423KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7bwimlloI1t1od71o1_1280.jpg
423KB, 1280x720px
>>3240634
Oh yeah, forgot to say this, but even if the Wii U has been jailbreaked, the only emulators aviable are the official ones in Wii U mode wich compatibility is iffy at best (seriously, if you were thinking on using the Wii mode you would be better buying a BC Wii) That said, it is an amazing DS emulation machine, injecting games is overly simple.

There's a Retroarch port in proccess, but so far with only one person is in charge, the scene is too centered on modding and piracy (wich doesn't even work well) instead of doing something interesting.

For about 40 € + renting an exploitable game of your choice you have a really competent emulation machine (don't expect to emulate N64 decently tho)
>>
>>3240634
Buy a second hand Dual Core laptop for $50 or less, install a fresh copy of Windows Xp on it, install emulators, load it with roms and plug a 5$ USB controller to it, hook it to your TV using a 5$ cable and you are all set.
>>
>>3242943
Why XP of all things? You could get GNU/Linux for KMS and other fun or 98SE for retro Windows games. Or just get Vista/7. XP seems like a half baked choice.
>>
>>3242947
XP is all what you need to run emulators on a cheap laptop.
>>
>>3241359
I did this and I love it, retroarch does almost everything. PSX generally requires per-game configuration but its totally worth it

>enable cd cache
>map left analog to dpad for older games
>disable dithering
>some games cant do 2x resolution
>older multi disc games require an .M3U playlist and the discs can be cycled through via quick menu
>>
>>3242953
What makes it better than the rest? Or is it simple the only thing you know?
>>
>>3242953
I was running into driver compatibility problems under xp so i got and SSD and installed win 7. It runs very nearly the same
>>
>>3242957
What part of CHEAP, second-hand laptop can't you understand, boi?
I would love to see you trying to install W7 on a old-ass dual core with 120.GB HDD and 2 GB RAM that you just bought for $30 at your local GoodWill store.
>>
>>3242986
That was my computer until last year. Never had trouble with installing Windows.
>>
>>3242986
That's literally the recommended specs for Windows 7. A lot of emulators will run better on XP though, front ends too. I think crt_emudriver may also want xp
>>
>>3242986
Windows 7 uses less ram and has lower processing requirements than XP. There's videos of people installing Win7 on their pentium pros and it runs pretty decent. XP is a fools choice nowadays
>>
>>3243316
>my wife loves windows 7
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.