[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Famicom Color Palette:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 5NUrm6U-1-[1].png (228KB, 1550x816px) Image search: [Google]
5NUrm6U-1-[1].png
228KB, 1550x816px
Which is your favorite?

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Famicom_Color_Palette
>>
Any of them except RGB which stands out like a sore thumb
>>
>>3239780

What would the Wii VC Palette look like if the brightness were turned up to normal? That would probably be perfect.
>>
>>3239780

Red Brick Master Race.

Shit tier emulators use purple brick palettes as default.
>>
what ever the default is
>>
>>3239876

That's the point, there is no default
>>
>>3240020

There is in emulators :)
>>
>>3239876
>hook NES up to TV with screw in cable
>turn on

That is default. If it varies at all that's your TV's settings to adjust. But the same game with the same default hookup should have a standard look.
>>
>>3240041
Can you at least do a little research before posting? Or at least read the link in the OP?
>>
>>3240041

There is no default because the Famicom has no colors. It all is created on the tv's end. Different tvs produce different colors.
>>
>>3239780
kinda hard to pick with 1 game used and no greens and blues
>>
>>3240136

Feel free to make more screens. The Palette downloads can be found in the Wiki link in the OP.

SMB intro sceen is nice for blues. A lot of palettes render it purpleish.
>>
>>3239780
YUV, it seems like it should be closest to the specs
>>
>>3240118
Never realized that, in that case Consumer and ALT
>>
The one that makes SMB1's skies look blue instead of purple.
>>
>>3240351
they are blue. The purple is just the result of you looking at the screen through rose-tinted glasses
>>
>>3240118
>Different tvs produce different colors.

There are standardized color spaces for analog television and that's what should be used to map rgb colors to.
From my limited research:
USA - SMPTE C
Japan - NSTC 1953
Europe - EBU Tech 3213
It seems that NTSC 1953 has been used in the other two before but later changed. I would suggest NTSC 1953 as a starting point.
>>
>>3240412
if I understand OP's article correctly YUV would be matching the standard. Though it seems plenty of household TVs didn't match the standard well. There comes a point where a developer has to ask themselves, do they adhere to the standard, or do they go with what looks best on the de facto hardware. And in turn, someone emulating needs to decide, do they want to go with the standard, knowing that nobody actually saw the game like that, or do they go with one of the empirical models based on actual hardware
>>
>>3240352
Heh
>>
>>3240412

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png
>>
>>3240427

Yeah, that's why Consumer is pretty good. It's what a Sony TV actually was like. It fits most games.
>>
>>3240118
So you're saying when Miyamoto made Mario he had no idea what colors he would actually show up as? Gtfo.
>>
>>3240762

There's range. Everything is some shade of red, or purple, or whatever. But you can't predict exactly what. Devs likely just aimed at what was the standard average tv in Japan at the time. Consumer palette fits this.
>>
>>3239780
Why is Wii Virtual Console so damn dark always?
>>
>>3239780
NTSC = Never the Same Colour
>>
>>3241037
PAL = 50Hz and extra lines of resolution that no games made use of..
>>
>>3241042
I'm not calling pal superior just stating a fact. I import NTSC games even
>>
>>3241042
Why so defensive? It's not that big of a deal.
>>
>>3241037

Australia-kun = Autistic virgin until the day he dies
>>
>>3240807
They're just covering their asses from seizure lawsuits. Otherwise, I have to say the Wii VC nailed it.
>>
>>3240762
>Implying anyone making a game in the 80's had complete knowledge on what they were doing.
I'm sorry to break your bubble, but Miyamoto is not a god
>>
>>3240775
Bullshit, there are literally little Japanese men hand-crafting the photons being shot out of my TV and into my eyes whenever I play Nintendo.
>>
>>3239780
BMF Final 2 seems to be the best for the game in question and it's content, but I imagine it would be too dark and washed out for others
>>
>>3240427
>>3240717
So basically, the "NES can't do yellow but does blue well" is actually a meme and most NES colors on actual TV were pretty "yellowish" in real life? Wow.

Like, imagine if devs at the time knew that. Maybe Megaman would be yellow?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.