[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: MMO events everyone says they were at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 18

File: Death of Lord British.jpg (351KB, 1000x470px) Image search: [Google]
Death of Lord British.jpg
351KB, 1000x470px
Ultima Online
August 8th, 1997

Unbeknownst to all parties, when the server reset shortly before, the toggle that normally protected the devs was turned off — and Garriott didn’t enter the command to reactivate his invulnerability. Nobody, including Garriott, knew that Lord British was now open to attack in a game that was almost entirely PvP through-and-through.

Rainz wasn’t playing his magic character at the time, but some spur-of-the-moment pick-pocketing turned up the perfect weapon for assassination. This was aided by another fortuitous factor: The developers, anticipating lag at the castle, had turned off the guards who would otherwise have caught and killed Rainz for stealing.

“Luckily my character was a good thief who had high stealing skill,” he explained. “I desperately searched the backpacks of those around me and eventually came upon a fire field scroll. After that it was pretty simple: I just cast the scroll on the bridge and waited to see what would happen. Either [Lord British] or Blackthorne made the comment, ‘Hehe nice try!’ — I can’t recall exactly who. It was a humorous sight and I expected to be struck down by lightning or have some other evil fate befall me. Instead I heard a loud death grunt as British slumped to his death.”

The murder caught everyone off-guard, including British and his assassin. Someone took the above screenshot that became one of the most famous in MMO history, showing players’ disbelief as they shouted “HE DIED” and “LB is dead!!!”
>>
>>3233161
I love this one.

Clearly like 15-30 people in all the pictures.
yet everyone always claims they were there.

fucking wackos.
>>
>>3233161
Honestly this is sort of a bad thread.
theres not many, if any, more events like this that are famous that people actually claim they were at.
>>
File: ultima online group.jpg (69KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ultima online group.jpg
69KB, 500x375px
>>3233201

It was also during the Beta, not after launch.

I started playing October of 1997, and everyone talked about this. The game was GOAT MMO.

>Originally no karma penalties for killing with magic
>Don't like some asshole? Kill him and take the stuff he took hours to earn.
>Professions that actually took skill, resource management and time, not just stack clicking
>No vendors or auction systems, sell your wares in the trade window
>No ventrilo, curse or party chat. You used local spoken text, or could *emote*
>People actually roleplayed as their characters
>Female avatars were occasionaly actual women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1gC3BLq2w
>>
runescape falador massacre, yes really
>>
>>3233204
It's not a bad idea but a lot of MMO's have fractured playerbases through different servers that makes events like this less memorable or noteworthy. Noteworthy exceptions like EVE aren't retro.
>>
Some other notable events I know of in MMOs (most not retro, probably):

1. That funeral in WoW that got raided
2. That giant EVE corporation heist that got coverage in PCGamer et al
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident
>>
File: Ima Newbie.jpg (29KB, 296x226px) Image search: [Google]
Ima Newbie.jpg
29KB, 296x226px
I never met the real Imanewbie
>>
I fucking loved UO.

Fuck Age of Shadows.
>>
>>3233215
I started in 2000. Didnt get to enjoy the game long before AOS reared its ugly head. All my friends jumped ship to SWG, but I stayed put because I loved the game.

Samurai empire is where I stopped giving a fuck and played out of habbit
>>
>>3233225
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident
>The conditions and reactions of the event attracted the attention of epidemiologists for its implications of how human populations could react to a real-world epidemic. Counter-terrorism researchers also took notice of the event.
>>
>>3233224
thats true.
>>
File: Corrupted Blood.jpg (233KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Corrupted Blood.jpg
233KB, 600x450px
>>3233225

Corrupted Blood was no joke.
>>
File: bonedude and platedude.jpg (23KB, 220x245px) Image search: [Google]
bonedude and platedude.jpg
23KB, 220x245px
>>
>>3233237
It made the game unplayable in any city.
>>
>>3233237
This shit was hilarious. Can't remember if I was still on Archimonde when this hit or if I had already moved to Mug'Thol, but I do remember Orgrimmar's AH was a sea of bones.
>>
>start talking about UO
>no kid was able to play classic UO so immediately the thread goes fucking off topic to goddamn World of Shitcraft

>>>/v/
>>
>>3233284
Actually, from what I recall in the late 90s, UO only had a peak playerbase of roughly 120,000.

EverQuest got to about 400,000 in 2001.

So, realistically, even if people could talk about UO, the original playerbase was so small and full of much older players (people in their 20s-30s in the mid to late 90s), they would be 50 now and not likely on a /vr/ 4chan board at midnight on Saturday.
>>
>>3233284
I was 8 when I played classic UO. I just ran around a lot and said nigger and got banned a few times. My dad used to get the email logs of what I was banned for and ground me.

I think I finally started caring and really playing it when I was 10, in 2000. And by that time I was getting into EQ too much to care, and some Asherons Call. But I always had a fondness for UO and the world it created.
>>
>>3233293
I started playing it at 14, but yeah alot of older players in the game.

It cost 12.99$ for one thing, required a PC, and nice internet connection. so not alot of kids were on it in the beginning years.

Luckily my brother was much older than me and got me into it.
>>
>>3233293
Well, here I am, one of those people. Excuse us if we were actually one of the people enjoying an early non-casualized MMO in the days where a stable home internet connection for an online game was rare.

>>3233296
4chan rules, kid. /vr/ restricts what you can talk about for a goddamn reason. You want to talk about your pretty little casual pile of shit MMOs, go to /v/. Leave /vr/ the fuck alone.
>>
>>3233306
wow dude calm the fuck down. ruining the thread.
>>
>>3233305
You started playing it a lot later than I did. When I played it was 9.99 a month, my brother was the one who also got me into it in 1998.
>>
>>3233306
>kid

This is just a dumbass shitposter. I bet you didn't even play these games.
>>
>>3233314
My brother used to pay my subscriptions until years later. so by time I started having to pay it myself it was 12.99. (they changed to this price in 2003)
>>
>>3233306
Calling people children is a bit over done champ. Seeing as how MMO's were pretty much non-existant until post 2000, you or the OP would've been much better off making a "UO/Everquest pre-2000 memorable moments" thread. That way you and the other 3 or 4 people who were actually into MMO's back then could have your 10 min circlejerk and watch as your stale thread fell off the board.
>>
>>3233339
MMOs were huge in the 90s. You don't remember the bajillion MUDs out there?
>>
The runescape party hat duplication glitch

the guy responsible (sixfeetunder) had a website explaining how it worked and how Jagex reacted. I used to browse it every now and then for the nostalgia but can't find it anymore.
>>
>>3233357
MUD's aren't MMO's though. MMO wasn't even a term/genre until UO's creator coined it in 1997. Of the 16 MMO's that were out pre-2000, I've only heard of / seen people talk about Tibia, Lineage, Dark Ages, UO, Asheron's Call, and Everquest. Not really a huge pool of games to talk about. Hell, even if you wanted to include MUD's under the MMO umbrella, how many events that occured in those games would fall under the topic "MMO events that everyone said they were at". Thread is far too specific with far too few games. This is why people started bringing WoW into the discussion. And honestly I think most people would've been just fine with that... until that assblasted faggot decided to derail the thread into a meta-thread.
>>
>>3233382
MUDs are MMOs. They are not going to get talked about a lot because the players that play MUDs are usually 40-50 year olds back in the 90s that play pen and paper games as well. I have no clue if this board has old people like that.
>>
>>3233386
Fine, MUD's are MMO's. There is still going to be precious little discussion that falls under the thread topic of "MMO events that everyone said they were at" . Even if the board were filled with 500 40-60 yr olds.

And I've heard there are a few older people here, I know back when the board launched it was speculated that a vast majority of posters here were in their upper 20's or over 30 (and more than a few 40-50), although quite a few from the original population are probably gone since >>>/v/ has been leaking in here uncontrolled.
>>
>>3233386
>Multi-User Dungeon
>Typically hosted 100-500 players

>MMO

>hosted 100,000 or more
>>
>>3233227

I was at the ImaTown opening. I think there are a few pictures floating around with me in them during it as well, if the page is still around that is.
>>
File: open-mayor.jpg (52KB, 405x348px) Image search: [Google]
open-mayor.jpg
52KB, 405x348px
>>3233449
>>3233227
>>3233161

Black Robes in front of the right-side door is the character i made on that shard to visit the town. This was an opening day photo on the imanewbie page for some time.
>>
There was nothing better than being a pvper in Ultima Online. A Mage pvper anyway.
(Dexxers just clicked and ran)

Magery, too quick wits, quick combo's, and quick reflexes.

My favorite moment I will always remember is running through the woods near covetous and finding 2 players talking.

I was a red player (murderer status) and they quickly went to battle with me. Normally in a 2v1 situation, most people would run. But I was feeling very confident.

I let them both dump combination after combination on me, healing through it with ease. Then I struck. I killed one, then quickly finished off the other.

I felt in that moment like one of those martial artists in kung fu movies that just know exactly how they are going to get through this and haven't a worry in the world.

I knew in that moment, that I had finally mastered the game.

I have never felt the same kind of accomplished feeling in any other pvp game. It never felt even 1/10 as good as pvping in UO.

-----

PVP in PRE-AOS UO was about both RL player skills, and character skills. It wasn't about the who had the best "gear" and items. You could kill anyone in the game as a mage being completely naked if you were good.

And the best part about PVP was it was FULL LOOT. You took whatever they had on their body. Armor. Weapons. Reagents. Spells. House keys (you could loot their house).

No game has matched it since.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXVMpdLylt8&list=PL2D6D575572C1A7C6
>>
>>3233468
PVP in Ultima Online was great, yeah. Sometimes just walking out of town was tense as fuck, as you never knew if some bandits would come around to zap your ass.

But at the same time, it was REAL tempting to try to kill someone when they think they are safe so that you had a chance to take their stuff.

Ever gone around and stumbled upon like, five corpses of players? You are scared that whoever did this is still around, but you also want to quickly do some grave robbing too. That risk reward system was awesome.
>>
>>3233505
>Sometimes just walking out of town was tense as fuck

That's what was so exciting about it.
You were actually afraid to die.
You would lose your items. Your time. Your dignity.

Dying in the game to someone you really fucking hate was the worst feeling, but killing someone that isn't a complete newb..oh yes baby. give me MORE.
>>
>>3233515
Hell yes. For that same reason, you got motivated to make friends quickly. If you make friends, you are less likely to get ambushed.

But then again, they COULD try to lure out somewhere out of the way, stab you in the back, and then chop up for corpse for one of their necromancy rituals.

I once walked upon that shit before. It was freaky AND awesome.
>>
File: UIXSS024.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
UIXSS024.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>we will never get UO 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ZEM0Iwf5E

could have been the World of Warcraft of the day.
they goofed.
>>
>>3233525
>tfw never had a lot of friends, because bi-polar
;_;

It made a man out of me soloing anyway.
I was just happy to be in the world with other people.
>>
>>3233541
I can imagine. How many times did gankers stab or blast your ass, anon?

How many deaths did it take for your soul to harden?
>>
>>3233563
Definitely died/killed people in the (probably tens of) thousands by time I quit.

That sting of dying to a rival never stopped hurting though.

Though after Age of shadows came out ,
it all stopped mattering so much.

Item insurance was released with the expansion, meaning nobody lost their stuff anymore unless they were dumb enough to not keep gold in their bank to cover it. (Sometimes if you were lucky, they would die and drop all their stuff worth millions of gold (artifacts from doom guantlet))

Item/gear based pvp was also released with the expansion and the game was never the same.

I stopped playing the game for good a while after Samurai Empire came out and it allowed people to 1 hit kill you.
>>
>>3233538
This looks like garbage
>>
>>3233780
>3D MMO from 1999
>supposed to look good
>>
>>3233784
Let me add that is was still pre-alpha and in early development also.
>>
>>3233468
>>3233505
I always wanted to play UO because this kind of stuff, but sadly i never had the opportunity.
Losing all your equipment by dying remembers me the first Diablo.

I guess the only thing remotely similar could have been some servers in Neverwinter Nights.
>>
>>3233817
There are private servers that are up, but most are a ugly mess, and even the servers dedicated to preserving the original UO rules/feel just dont have any players, or the players are cancer incarnate.

I've noticed that a lot of people who play UO private servers, never even played the original official game.

You will never get that real experience unfortunately.

I missed out on TONS of mmos/ online games I would have loved to experience too, so I know that feel brother.
>>
>>3233832
I know it's lost forever. I still like to listen those old stories though. In late 90's UO was seen as the ultimate roleplaying and videogaming experience. Years later i entered Wow expecting something similar and left after the first month because it was a boring grindfest.

Neverwinter was also a unique on-line experience, and still exists to some extent.
Too bad it's slow as fuck and filled with personal drama. It isn't retro for one or two years though.
>>
>>3233215
No karma at all at first.

They added player vendors not long after launch. I still sold shit in trade windows and got taken by the "put six gold under the correct amount then take away the correct amount after the other party clicks ok" scam once.

Everyone I knew used icq to chat globally, but we all used ingame chat otherwise.

I actually roleplayed a character that was a ghost. Hed run around in just a robe when alive, then if hed die hed follow people around oooOOoOoooOoooOooo'ing people. The death in that game was fucking the best.

A female guildmate of mine was pregnant. Crazy bitch said she flashed her preggo tits to a schoolbus one day... now that im thinking about it, she mustve been a dude or a pedo or just a nympho.
>>
Guys try Aberoth (Aberoth.com), its based on the same design philosophy, unrestricted PVP with item drops and so on
>>
>>3234147
>iphone indie game app graphics
I dunno senpai, I dunno.
>>
File: UO Trinsic.gif (97KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
UO Trinsic.gif
97KB, 640x480px
>>3233339

OP here, you're right, this should have been just a general /vr/ era MMO general thread, but wanted to give folks a chance to talk about other early MMO's that I may not have played (saw someone reference runescape, but you're right, most of the other "famous" events were covered in this post, most within the past 10 years.

>>3233225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P1lx7ayec0

>2016, still want to move to Trinsic

Trinsic is found in the southern region of Britannia, along the eastern coast. Fresh water is supplied through a river delta, doubling the size of the fish market thanks to the city's proximity to the Cape of Heroes. Trinsic is like a larger version of Serpent's Hold -- one gigantic stone wall surrounding the city that completely borders the interior keep.

Nearly the entire city is made of stone, from the reinforced outer walls, to the inner castle, to the shops, homes, and schools in between. The overall style is the traditional Britannian keep, with parapets, battlements and buttresses for the main walls, and solid rock foundations for the private buildings.
>>
>>3233219
Remind me what this was, haven't played RS since like 06
>>
File: worldmap.gif (750KB, 1503x1101px) Image search: [Google]
worldmap.gif
750KB, 1503x1101px
Not really an ingame event (and not quite retro), but there was an urban legend about a leaked set of expansions planned for WoW that tons of people claim to have witnessed "back in the early days", sometimes dated around launch, sometimes as far back as before TFT. It started in 2007 and was most popular around 2009-2010, but the people who claimed to have seen it said they remember it from "early alpha in 2003" or whenever.
>>
File: harbinger of death.jpg (18KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
harbinger of death.jpg
18KB, 280x280px
>>3233237
I was there for this one.

The funniest part about the Corrupted Blood curse (or was it disease?) was that players and ANY player-spawned pets could get it.

Yes, hunter's pets. Warlock demons. And even the harmless critters.

I had a Westfall Chicken when the first wave of deaths happened in Ironforge. I made sure that my chicken caught the thing, and then summoned something else to "save" the curse for later. When the servers were reset to basically wipe the curse from major cities, I simply took out my chicken right next to the mailbox and the deaths would resume.

I think I was responsible for more than a couple of server restarts on my server alone.
>>
File: 129419596532.jpg (42KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
129419596532.jpg
42KB, 400x398px
>>3234619
You could see alot of crazy things with perseverance and spam jumping in vanilla WoW. Those were the days when me and my buddy would glitch our way into places we weren't meant to see.
>>
>>3234797

What exactly did the Corrupted Blood thing actually do? Other than leave skeletons all over the place.
>>
>>3234867
It wasn't anything ingame though, it was just a list of "planned expansions" posted on forums (google "wolfenhold" and you should find it).
>>
>>3234979
It did periodic AoE damage radiating from anyone who had the disease. Any units hit by the disease had a virtually guaranteed chance of catching the disease as well.

Imagine a dozen players stacked on top of another next to the mailbox, and a chicken spawns out of nowhere with the disease and the AoE goes off. Now almost everyone next to the mailbox has the disease. That's enough damage to kill most players in one tick.
>>
>>3235029

Jesus fuck that's horrifying!
>>
>tfw I played UO through 98-99 and I learn about this years later on a forum.
Seriously no one ever in game spoke about this event happening when I was playing.
>>
>>3234539
for some reason i dont remember a lot of guys were following i think zezima or something at north of falador and someone managed to attack another player outside PvP zone (the wildy) and everyone started killing eachother.
>>
>all this Ultima talk
Never played that mmo and want to try it. Is it too late lads?
>>
>>3233228
it's n-not fun anymore?
>>
>>3235846
yeah. it is.
part of the greatness of the game was the community.

players of private servers are all foreigners/faggots that still use terms like "pwned"

the official servers, are not the original UO anymore, they are an entirely new game pretty much
>>
>>3235870
>tfw
well what game could i play with the same feeling? ive read abut uo today and it sounds fucking fantastic.
>>
>>3235938
There really isnt any other game like it with housing, stealing, amazing sprite work etc.

some people say "darkfall online" is like UO with pvp and full loot and stuff. but it's a 3D game and I've yet to try it.

If you really want to try a game like it, just play a private server. But do some research on whats the best era accurate one to play that actually has a large player base.

do not play "UO second age". the server is good, but here is a faked number of players.
there is probably only a good 30 different people that play that shit, and they are all buddies with each other. they actually make alts without telling eachother just so they can pvp without their friends getting pissed. worst Uo experience I've had.

Maybe try that server "UO forever" supposed to be good I think, but its not really accurate as they add a bunch of content and shit
>>
>>3235965
thanks lad. o you play anything now?
>>
>>3233161
Wasn't actually there, but a few zones over when Sony crashed the server so nobody beat The Sleeper in Everquest.
>>
>>3235986
Nah I haven't tried any servers since UO second age put a bad taste in my mouth.

If I were to try one though it would be UO forever as I said before. It seems to be the one with the best production behind it and thousands of players.

the world is big and you do want those large number of players to run into.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 749x743px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 749x743px
I remember reading about the lord British death in a magazine. I didn't have the connection to play UO so I just read the adventures of some guy who did play on his website. He had one story where there were some PK'ers causing trouble and were about to kill him and some other people so he attacked and just as he attacked a guards weapon glitches through a wall and killed his assailant. The other pker ran off in fear thinking he killed the guy in one hit. I don't remember the site or the players name unfortunately.

I did play MUDs on a local BBS though. MajorMUD was the top game, and I had a deadly rivalry with a fellow ranger over the witchwood spear. I also masterminded a plot to kill a sysop in the game that hoarded all the good items, but those are tales for another time
>>
>>3234539
>>3235825

It was when construction first came out. The first player to hit 99 set up a big party at his house, and when people fought in the arena there or whatever it was and teleported out, it still treated them like they were in a pvp environment, so people started slaughtering others in Falador mostly. Party hats were lost, most of the participants were banned.
>>
Runescape 6/6/6 massacre
>>
>>3233468
The only other MMO I have played with similar ruthless combat is Fonline, which is a series of Russia/Polish made games that are based on Fallout 2 (uses Fallout assets, but a custom engine).
Players can kill each other just about anywhere, and if you die you lose everything on your person.
I played for about 5 years and I managed to build a small reputation as a PKer/thief. At one point I pissed off another player group enough that they made up a mock "Wanted" poster offering their members money in exchange for killing me.
>>
>>3236308
that sounds cool as fuck. i always wished for a game like this but never got around to this stuff
>>
>>3236308
Oh I played that a couple years back. Seemed pretty dead. I was in a /v/ group I think. Was pretty clickish.

I was spouting a bunch of lame memes though and didnt know the game so they probably hated me. haha.

That game is cool because you can have a base, a vehicle, etc.

I remember finding a vehicle key or whatever it is you use to get a vehicle ,(might be a car part) on a npc vendor for cheap as fuck. was so happy.
>>
http://jasonlieu.com/post/79068818303/my-20-totally-biased-reasons-why-ultima-online-was

FUCK! why i never played Ultima?
>>
>>3236558
How in 1997 UO was the coolest thing ever and today every MMORPG it's just a repetitive grindfest with no other real interest than competitive PvP? I just don't get it.
>>
>>3236558
>>3236792

Another cool thing about UO was Treasure Maps & SOS's.

Treasure maps let you dig up chest's all across Britannia. Inside was magic items, armor, gold, items. and monsters to guard it.

SOS bottled maps were nearly the same, you could only find them by fishing.
>>
>>3236836
Listening all the cool things UO had just make me sad.
>>
>>3236836
Are there any proper active private servers?
Like there's the one for SWG and Nostalrius Blizzard shut down for WoW.
>>
>>3236850
I think http://www.uoforever.com/

is supposed to be the most populated server ever . currently has 800 players on it at 5:00 am est.

I don't think it's 100% authentic, to older UO, but it has an active dev team and player base I think. so it may be your best choice.

I havent tried it personally.
>>
>>3236865
anyone wants to try this with me?
fuck i need to play this game
>>
why 4chan doesnt have a UO general or ps?
>>
File: ebonlol.jpg (74KB, 1004x696px) Image search: [Google]
ebonlol.jpg
74KB, 1004x696px
This is not /vr/ but but pertains to the guild Ebonlore who I believe started in UO and played Everquest and I believe one other /vr/ MMO.

Ebonlore is known for ruining games by spawn killing everyone who logs onto the server/makes a new character, hacking, exploiting, etc.

Me and a friend joined Ebonlore in 2007 before the launch of the new MMO Age of Conan. Everyone who preordered the game got to play for a few days before the actual launch, which gave the guild a chance to beat everyone to maxing their levels. I was broke and couldn't get the preorder so I asked the guild leader Axem what to do and he gave me a spare account of his to level up. I worked on his character while getting familiar with the game then spent about a month or two on my account when my friend and I decided we were pretty sick of the game and were ready to cancel our subscriptions.

I was thinking about how to tell the guild we were leaving and remembered I still had Axem's old account, I decided to try to log in and it still fucking worked. I then decided to try the second accounts password with the login "Axem" knowing that leader of one of the most infamous guilds in MMO's wouldn't be stupid enough to use the same password for multiple accounts. Turns out he was that stupid. I quickly logged out to avoid suspicion and tried to log into the guild forums the same way and it worked. I found out in their inner circle they a handful of exploits and bots, as well as a forum for posting nudes of the women in the guild.

I screenshotted everything and posted it on the Age of Conan boards. Logged into Axem's account, got rid of all his items and gold, released our guild's keep (sort of like a castle or one of the big ships in Eve Online..a very big deal), dissolved the guild, then ran around naked as Axem saying dumb shit in general chat.

They got all pissy and threatened a lawsuit against my friend (he logged into the board without a proxy).
>>
File: aoc3.jpg (140KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
aoc3.jpg
140KB, 1600x1000px
>>3238485
The devs eventually gave them their shit back but I think they later got banned for hacking/being assholes.

I just recently found the screenshots we took just before seeing this thread so I thought I'd share. Might be funny for anyone who has dealt with them.
>>
>>3237384

I'll play it with you, anon.
>>
>>3238485
Feel like I've seen this picture before
>>
>>3238671
I screenshotted it from this YTMND that someone made from one our screenshots. I think it's the only evidence of the nude sharing that still exists.

http://axemsextap.ytmnd.com/
>>
>>3237384
>>3238648

I can help you guys get started. I played a couple years ago for pvp.

Some gold or resources if you want them, I'm never going to play again. My houses probably dropped too.
>>
>>3238750
Way to ruin the game for them fuck tard.

Thats the easiest way to make someone lose interest in a game.

> here you go dude all the gold and items you can carry, fuck feeling accomplished for earning it yourself!
>>
>>3238760
I wasn't going to hand them everything.

Do you even UO? Some gold is literally fucking nothing when you're building a char. If anything it keeps most interested because they don't have to kill monsters for hours, most people aren't 13 anymore.
>>
>>3238768
>dude fuck experiencing the game for yourself and learning

>just go straight to powergaming your char even though you know zero information about the game and how to even build an effective char

You're not actually helping them enjoy the game at all, but do whatever. It's not my experience you're ruining.
>>
>>3238774
Do you even play UO?

It sounds like you don't. I would normally agree with you but you sound pretty dumb in the context of this game.
>>
>>3238776
You're a fucking moron that can't even understand what I'm saying. I've played UO for 18 years.

Every single Person I've ever "helped out" by giving them stuff when they were new quit a week later from boredom.

The ones that earned their way on their own lasted much longer.

I bet you're the type of complete faggot that used gameshark codes in video games for unlimited gold/ lives and thinks its fun.
>>
>>3233215
aw man that music... why do you make me cry?
>>
>>3238784
>18 years

What shard and how long did you play, I hope you didn't play 18 years of retail UO.

You're a retard. A bit of resources and gold has always helped new players. Ive always kept in contact and helped newer players.

The game is too overwhelming for most people, they didn't start playing in 97 or 98 and have no idea why people are pking them every 5 seconds.
>>
>>3238816

I played atlantic. the only server worth playing.

>A bit of resources and gold has always helped new players.

Tell me how a bit of gold is going to help a new player from being pked
>>
>>3238816
Hi I just logged into the game im at a small bank in "britain" please come give gold before I have to go. thanks.

name is new guy for you
>>
>>3238834
So they can buy some regs, a spell book, runebook, horses.

Considering UOF has most people 7x running around pvping, it would help a whole lot so they don't rage quit from it.
>>
>>3238845
You can give a new player a 7x gm character and he will still get buttfucked by a pk in one combo.
>>
>>3238849
Of course.
>>
>says he's quitting
>doesn't give me all his stuff

the fuck is this shit dude.
save some checks for them and give me your stuff.
>>
>>3238880
AYY LMAO I knew it was you. Give them the check then.
>>
>>3238890
Pssh. I don't know the market value of shit on this server, but I can almost guarantee that 100k wont be enough reg money to power train my mage

They ain't getting that shit senpai.
>>
>>3238902
Hah. UOF was breddy gud when I played it. No idea how it is now, skills go up pretty fast compared to back in the day.
>>
>>3238923
>skills go up pretty fast compared to back in the day.

I see. Then it might get me at least close. Thanks.
>>
>>3238836
lads? are you in? i have no fucking idea of what im doing. Im focusing on a mage/fight character with fencing.
>>
>>3239161
You're probably going to want to look up efficient builds for the server.

Like for a mage you will want at least

Magery ( ability to cast high level spells)
Evaluate Intelligence (damage done by spells)
Meditation ( mana recovery over time)
Resisting spells (able to resist spell damage)

You can store stuff in banks by saying "Bank" outloud near a banker. Your bank contents are global.That stuff will never be lost as long as it stays in there.

You gain skills by using them.
Look up a guide on each skill and the best way to gain.

Example : Magery (cast spells to gain skill)
30.0 magery (cast (xxxx) spell until 40.0)
>>
>>3239161
Also, this server has a young player guild.
You may want to join that as soon as you log in your new char. they might help you out!

Like when you log on, it shows a bunch of windows. one of them is for the young player status.
>>
>>3239161
Also, after having a look around. This server is not an accurate experience to the original UO (they added a bunch of stuff to the game) just so you know.

Like when you see portals and glowy shit all over town, that wasn't really how it was. The game had a nice bleak(realistic kinda) feel to it.

the problem is, 100% accurate to original UO servers dont have enough people playing. So I guess you might as well play on UOforever anyway
>>
>>3239192
The people who run it try to create content and events, the pvp is more UO:R instead of t2a or the like.

It's kinda weird but I had fun desu.
>>
>>3239180
i was thinking of
Fencing
Anatomy
Tactics
Healing
Magery
Eval Intell
Resistin Spells

i did got in the young player guild to check it out. Sadly ive heard this is not an accurate experience yeh, but i dont wanna play on a dying server thats gonna close on me
>>
>>3239197
Tank mages are pretty shit imo, go more dex if you want to use a weapon.

Most people go alchemy or heal mage, heal Mage is ok if you're solo.
>>
File: zorro-680x453.jpg (75KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
zorro-680x453.jpg
75KB, 680x453px
>>3239197
any advice? mostly i wanna focus on my fencing partly cause i wanna roleplay as this good lad.
>>
>>3239206
If you're set on using a wep, put more into dex than int, use magery for emergency heals and stuff.

I've seen some people do well with mace tank mages before.

Go to the website, there is a bunch of skill and build guides.
>>
>>3239212
can i name my horse? can i get a black one?
>>
>>3233237
>corrupted blood
>black war mammoth from wotlk
Liar.
>>
>>3239197

I'm not going to critique your build there even though it is probably not that popular to use. I've never made a fencing mage dexxer, so I can't really talk on that matter.

The great thing is, if you find a skill doesn't work for your build, you just turn the arrow down, and start working a new skill in its place.

Yeah, you wasted time training it, but at least its not permanent.

I think most people that go tank mage, usually use a halberd build.

Halberds do insane amount of damage.
An example of one:

Magery
Eval
Med
Resist spells
Swords
Tactics
Wrestling (this is so you dont get hit as much while casting spells).

Like I said though, I'm not sure whats best for the server, so look into that.

>>3239202
I think alchemy is probably too advanced for a new player to get good at. chucking pots during combos and stuff.

>>3239213
If you're a tamer you can have a nightmare (which is 1 of 3 shades of black)

You can name your pets, yes.
>>
>>3239217
ok im still kinda getting this skill points thing.
>The great thing is, if you find a skill doesn't work for your build, you just turn the arrow down, and start working a new skill in its place.
wouldnt i be losing points in skills there?
>>
>>3239223
You have 700.0 total space for skill points.

If you have 100.0 (Grandmaster) Fencing, and don't want it anymore, you set the arrow next to it to down.

From then on, that skill point will go down, and your new skill that you're training will go up as you train it.
>>
>>3239217
Fencing
Anatomy
Tactics
Animal taming
Animal lore
Healing
Magery

does this sound too shitty?
>>
>>3239229
haha, you really want fencing.
I recommend taking that other guys advice and just making a pure fencing dexxer character.

The thing with Tamers is, they use their pets to fight monsters etc with. They don't generally whack it with a spear.

They stay back and heal the pet with vet skill.

Tamers can train dragons and stuff to fight for them.

There are some tamer builds for pvp that probably do a tank thing, but I dont have experience with it.

A typical tamer build would be:

-Magery
-Meditation
-Resist spells
-Hiding (any skill you want could go here)
Veterinary
Animal Taming
Animal Lore
>>
>>3239238
well now. can i get taming until i tame a nightmare and then fuck that skill? or the nightmare will lose the respect for me
>>
File: etherealmounts.jpg (26KB, 274x220px) Image search: [Google]
etherealmounts.jpg
26KB, 274x220px
>>3239213
Also, this server has donation items you can buy (if you decide you REALLY like playing there)

You can buy a donation ethereal horse, and buy some dye for it and have a black horse probably.

An ethereal horse is a veteran item that sits in your pack and you can summon it anytime to ride.

It's kind of transparent and black at the same time. Looks like pic related.

You dont need taming or anything for it.
>>
>>3239246
The nightmare will not follow your commands and will release its sell from you eventually if you drop your taming below a certain point.
>>
>>3239246
You want 100 lore and taming.

Keep in mind doing a tamer takes a lot of time and gold.

Look into making a bard, a provocation build can make some good loot in dungeons too.
>>
>>3239215
Not to mention the newer building architecture I just noticed, so that's even more recent. The Naxxramas shiled threw me off, though.
>>
>>3239251
nah fuck donation items. i think it would be cooler if i tame it.
>>3239254
>>3239256
fug my dreams are getting shattered.

fencing
archery
heal
anat
tac
fletch
res

giving away the dream of the black horse
>>
>>3239268
or fletch for hiding.
what do you lads think?
>>
>>3239268
Fletching is a crafting skill.
You don't need to have it to fight with.

Generally you make a separate character to be your crafter.

You can have up to 5 characters on your account.
>>
>>3239272
oh smart! how would you trade the stuff between the 2 chars?
>>
>>3239281
Your bank box or a house.
>>
>>3239281
You can have multiple accounts on this server.
So you could open to clients and safe trade that way.

Or, if you own a house, you drop it in your house, then log in the character you want to grab it.

OR, if you want to be risky, you go to a secluded spot in town, and drop it on the floor, or in a dresser or something. then hurry and run back to it on the character you want it on.

>>3239284
Bank boxes are not for every character.
They store different items for each character.
>>
>>3239284
Also you can create 2 accounts, open two instances and trade.
>>
>>3239290
>Bank boxes
Yeah kinda felt retarded after typing that.
>>
>>3239295
Hehe, no big deal.
>>
its the idea of a fence/tamer too whacky?
>>
>>3239312

Fencing
Tactics
A. Taming
A. Lore
Magic Resist
Anatomy
Healing or magery

what do you think?
>>
Magery
Resist
Eval
Wrestling
Meditation

Are all pretty necessary for any combat oriented Mage.
>>
>>3239332
You'll want magery to be able to recall

Soooo maybe...
Fencing 100*
Tactics 100*
Animal taming 100
Animal lore 100
Resist spells 100
Magery 100
Meditation 100

*Would strongly suggest replacing tactics and fencing with evaluating intelligence and wrestling.
>>
>>3233161
I remember it coming with a demo of the Ultima games that was exactly like Online, except you were stuck in one city and had to talk to a wisp a lot. Anyone idea what I'm thinking of?
>>
>>3239752
that was the UO:98 demo.
>>
>>3239425
What do you mean with recall?
>>
>>3239873
Not him but in UO there is a spell to recall, and a spell to gate travel.

You can mark a "rune" with the spell "mark".
What this does is bind your current coordinates to the rune, and you can teleport to that location whenever you want.

Recall teleports you to that spot.
Gate travel opens a portal anyone can go in.

You can buy a runebook that will not drop when you die, to carry all your runes.
>>
>>3239896
thanks lad. i think im going for that build.
if hope is playable
>>
>>3239418
You should get a defensive wrestling bonus from anatomy+eval too, if you don't want wrestling.
>>
The talk about skills and flipping an arrow makes me realize how different the game is.

When I played you had to be super careful about doing random shit because you might just lose a point in swordsmanship if you look at that tree wrong and gain a point in lumberjacking.
>>
File: shrooms.gif (4KB, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
shrooms.gif
4KB, 50x50px
>>
>>3233215
Lets not forget that there wasn't a chat window.

Stand next to someone to hear them.
Stand near someone to see have of their chat get cut of the screen.
Stand away from someone and never know they're talking (if you even know they're there).
>>
>>3240602
depends on the emulated era/patches I believe
>>
>>3241162

There was also the seldom used "crystals of communication." You could buy them from vendor jewelcrafters and synch them to speak at a distance. Of course, most people even in 1997 had ICQ or AOL IM, so it was mostly the purview of the extreme RP'ers.
>>
>>3241240
UOF has that bonus. Wrestling is still useful for stun and defense bonus though.
>>
>>3235029
Not to mention that is was an AoE effect caused by a level 60 raid boss. Sure level 60 characters might survive a few hits, but this disease spread to everyone. For anyone under level 40, it would probably kill you before you could react. That's what made it so deadly.
>>
>>3241309
That all sounds pretty neat actually. I miss the days of chat only mmorpgs.

But anyway, is their anything more to do in UO besides pk/pvp? I always wanted to try this game, but if all their is to work towards is getting OP to pvp, then I"ll pass.
>>
>>3242383
Ultima Online is an open world mmo.
You make your own adventures.

So it will probably bore most kids these days that grew up with quest line grinds and shit
>>
>>3242406
Well I'm looking to dungeon crawl and explore. Are people down to do that? Hell I'll even RP if it's decent. Not hoping for much on that topic, but exploring and dungeon crawling for sure.
>>
>>3242406
But to answer your question:

***IDOCS (if you dont refresh your home in (designated time) your house falls and all your stuff falls to the ground for anyone to pick up.

This is a good way to get rich fast.

**Champion Spawns (depending on server)
That drop powerscrolls to up your skill caps.

***Running a player vendor shop

**Crafting

**cant think of much else right now because im trying to eat
Faction town control (a form of pvp)
>>
>>3242425
>Are people down to do that?

Most people who play uo are veterans of the game, so no, finding people to want to do that would not be common.

You don't need a group to do that anyways, just explore as you gradually gain your skills.

Most high end spawn is killed by tamers since they can have their dragons take all the damage

Champion spawns are super hard bosses that require a team effort. they drop valuable scrolls, and gold
>>
Honestly, I don't think I would recommend this game to new players anymore.

Its overwhelming learning a new game Like UO, and most people still play it for nostalgia I think.

It was a great game, but that was 15+ years ago, with a different community, and a professional development team working with it.

private servers are almost all run by tacky fucks that add needless crap/ unofficial shit to the game and ugly it up.
>>
>>3239752
that demo was pretty fun lol
The city was Occlo and you had to get a magical sword to slain a drake I guess
>>
>>3233161
The memories. This game should be called the douchebag simulator. The ammount of energy people spent trying to find new ways to scam, kill and generally annoy others was amazing. You could even steal house deeds LOL. Being an always angry teen at the time is probably the reason I enjoyed it so much along with pvm not being mandatory.
>>
File: 1407102789163.jpg (81KB, 560x419px) Image search: [Google]
1407102789163.jpg
81KB, 560x419px
>>3242446
Pic related is what's going to happen to any newbie ITT followed by them getting murdered and all their shit stolen.

That's how you play UO.
>>
>>3242674
kek
>>
>>3242674
how's that a bad thing kid?
>>
>>3242721
Never said it was. Like I said, that's how you play UO. Care bear faggots and RPers can fuck right off and kill themselves.
>>
I can't even remember if there is any PvE shit to do in this game, I spent most of my time hopping from Murdertower to Murdertower gangbanging blues and taming the occasional dragon to help me kill blues.

Would it be worth replaying it with a couple of friends just exploring?
>>
>>3242727
There's nothing wrong with roleplayers.
>>
>>3242754
Yeah definitely.

Make Provocation bards or thieves and get loot from dungeons.

>>3242782
Literally

The Orc rp guilds were the best, I had the most fun fighting them.
>>
>>3242968
Do you reccomend any server or shard(?) that I wouldn't get rekted on or do I just gamble and pick one?
>>
>>3243143
The most active I've played is UO Forever, mentioned above.

It has stuff added and the pvp is more UO:R and later. Any classic UO shards, t2a or pre t2a have long since died.
>>
>>3243143
If you're just trying to explore OLD UO, go on a server like UOsecondage. its not as populated as other servers, you can still die, but its more unlikely.

Its a 95% era accurate server though, besides some event arenas they added.
>>
>>3243889
>UOsecondage
Interesting, I'll check it out. I am interested in exploring this game and not really fighting people. Eventually I'll try that stuff, thanks
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.