[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started playing this game. I'm not impressed so far.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15

File: image.png (3MB, 1495x1025px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1495x1025px
I just started playing this game. I'm not impressed so far.
>>
it's shit
>>
what a brilliant way to start the thread.
how far in are you? I'd say the game gets better once you get Paula as a party member.
>>
I mean the game is awful.
>>
>>3232393
Why would anyone care
>>
it's shit familia
>>
>>3232407
All JRPGs are, the only good thing about them is their good stories.
>>
>>3232415
Should I continue or stop before I waste anymore time with it?
>>
>>3232440
When I first started playing, I wasn't very impressed either. I came to like it more as time went on though. I'd say that things start to pick up after you get to Threed and Saturn Valley. The last fifth of the game is satisfying, so its up to you really. It grows on you as you progress. How far are you right now?
>>
It's on a slow boil, but if you stick with it until Threed, it'll be worth it.
>>
File: gameplayers6.jpg (117KB, 762x432px) Image search: [Google]
gameplayers6.jpg
117KB, 762x432px
It's pretty bad.
>>
>>3232531
Very beginning. Still grinding a bit to get past those animals. Noticing after a while they stop rushing you right away like before.
>>
>>3232393
k
>>
>judging a 20 hour long game by its first ten minutes

You obviously are too retarded to enjoy JRPGs, might I recommend some action games that you can play instead?
>>
>>3232547

>gameplay: 8
>it's a shit game though

I want to cry brit but I don't think it actually released in Europe.
>>
Man people who hate popular games are so cool, I bet they get laid on the regular. I can only aspire to have at least a quarter as much edge as they have when I grow up.
>>
>>3232440
The first time I played it I was in high school, and I didn't like it. Dropped it around Threed, so maybe about a quarter of the way in. Came back to it 6 years later and I appreciated it a lot more, and I actually finished it that time.

You just started the game so you can't judge it yet. I would say you should at least finish Twoson before you decide if you want to continue. The game has its ups and downs so I don't think you can point to a single part of the game where it "gets good" and stays good.

If you don't like it then don't worry. Not liking it doesn't mean you have shit taste, it just means it's not what you want to play right now. I'm going to come off sounding like a hipster retard here, but the game is rather emotionally subtle at times, and you have to be in a particularly patient frame of mind in order to get the full experience.
>>
>>3232624
You do sound like a hipster, but a trust worthy hipster. I'm gonna continue on with this game.
>>
>>3232393

guess what? /vr/ isn't your facebook wall or your personal blog you self-important douche nozzle
>>
>>3232393
Keep playing it. If you're disappointed by the time you finish, at least you can say you had the experience of beating one of the most highly acclaimed JRPGs of all time.

If you play it through, worst case scenario is that your opinion on the game will be reinforced.

If you don't, worst case scenario is you'll be left wondering.
>>
File: image.jpg (306KB, 640x649px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
306KB, 640x649px
>>3232731
>>
>>3232547
>69% is bad
IGN pls go
>>
the first town or two are kinda boring and more of an introduction. i like the puzzles and enemies as it progresses.
>>
File: confused subhuman.jpg (40KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
confused subhuman.jpg
40KB, 505x431px
>>3232432

>JRPGs
>Good stories
>>
>>3232562
Keep at it as others have suggested here are a few tips for the start of the games.

1) Don't use the hotel in Onett, just return Ness' house to heal for free
2) If you didn't already, get the map from the library.
3) I recommend grinding to level 7 or 8 before fighting Frank
4) I also recommend grinding to level 10 or 11 before fighting the guardian of Giant Step.
5) you can get a mr. Baseball cap in the house hidden in the trees by the library.

Hope that helps
>>
File: earthbound.png (411KB, 600x896px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound.png
411KB, 600x896px
>>3232781
Well, there's few games like it, so it's worth experiencing for that alone.

How many games can you intentionally make your Favorite Food "cock", then have your mom serve you up some "cock" before going to bed, then later in your adventure, get homesick and start craving "cock" ? Then, visiting a specific holy/magical place, smell a whiff of "cock" in your mind, just for a second?
You could also list your Favorite Thing as "Wank" or "Rape" if you want to

Then there's:
>New Age Retro Hippie
>Mad Taxi
>Territorial Oak (oh god why)
>music references which were in a nervous legal gray area for well over a decade
>estranged fathers
>wading through hip deep streams of poo water
>gang violence
>junk food
>the "Not-KKK"
>vomit monsters
>ancient supernatural horrors from beyond the stars
>the Blues Brothers
>arguably drug hallucinations

And all of this shit kind of makes pretty good sense in the logic of the game world, and a lot of it ties into the plot. It's childish and whimsical, but it also gets serious, sometimes in a really fucked up way, and typically progressively so.

Is it the best game ever? Probably not, but it's unique and amazing.
>>
File: Tripple-Cheese.jpg (76KB, 550x392px) Image search: [Google]
Tripple-Cheese.jpg
76KB, 550x392px
>>3232876
Oh yeah, you'll have to do a bit of grind in the start, once you're strong enough from beating up critters, you ought to be able to take on gang members, one by one, they often drop hamburgers, and hamburgers are a good source of HP early on in the game (there's also bigger and better hamburgers later on in the game).

It's always a good idea to carry some healing items, food is the most common kind, also, getting in the habit of using healing Psi is handy.

Finally, health doesn't immediately detract in Earthbound, your health meter is rolling, so say you've been hit by one or more devastating attacks that does more damage than you have health, if you can finish or flee the battle, or select and go through with a healing action before your health meter finishes ticking down (like the action has gone through and whatever possible related animation has started), the game just lets it go and you don't die.
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 1024x768px
>>3232897
You caught my attention at "cock".
>>
>>3232393

First, you should tell us more.
> Why is it shit? Which part disappoints you?
> Which part is good?

If it's simply shit because it's not your cup of tea or you simply do not understand the game or appreciate what had the game has contributed to the gaming culture, you're a fucking millenial shit.
>>
>>3232897
>How many games can you intentionally make your Favorite Food "cock", then have your mom serve you up some "cock" before going to bed, then later in your adventure, get homesick and start craving "cock" ? Then, visiting a specific holy/magical place, smell a whiff of "cock" in your mind, just for a second?
>You could also list your Favorite Thing as "Wank" or "Rape" if you want to
Wow so funny :) You have a great sense of humor :)
>>
>most overhyped game in retro history
no wonder you are not impressed
>>
>>3232547
>gameplay
>younger gamers should eat this up

confirmation that Earthbound has and always will be "baby's first RPG".
>>
>>3234229
Anon you realize this isn't the smb3 thread right?
>>
>>3234270

There literally is no such thing as an Earthbound fan who likes it purely for the gameplay, my dude. That having been said,

>reviews only matter when they confirm my opinion!
>>
>>3232393
It sucks until twoson.
>>
>>3232897
>get homesick and start craving "cock"
Reminds me of freshman year at university.
>>
>>3234284

You meant this isn't MGS
>>
File: 34-magnet_alpha.gif (417KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
34-magnet_alpha.gif
417KB, 512x448px
>>3232876
Level 8 for Frank? Wtf? You should be just fine taking out Frank at level 5 (when your HP is at about 60) and past 6 means you probably don't have a basic grasp on managing resources. Don't suggest things to make people thing Earthbound is more of a slog than it is (or isn't).

Earthbound, like most Jrpgs, really shouldn't require grinding as long as you're fighting a steady amount of enemies. Though it has its moments, its far from a hard jrpg. Although it seems to be getting a reputation that suggests otherwise, possobly from newer players used to some FF games handing you the win.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. In most post-NES era rpgs, if you're telling yourself you HAVE to go out of your way to stop and grind for exp and gold, its probably a sign that you aren't a good player and need to resource manage better or use more options at the right time.
>>
Here is your reply
>>
>>3234681
That's the funniest thing you've ever said
>>
File: 1457764071984.jpg (222KB, 1200x618px) Image search: [Google]
1457764071984.jpg
222KB, 1200x618px
>>3232897
>actually making your favorite food or thing stupid shit like that
May I ask how you're enjoying middle school?
>>
>>3234702
But at level 7 he would be in a better position for giant step. Those rats can be a real nightmare if your not ready for it.
>>
>>3235196

There are plenty of interviews where Itoi says he's all for that kind of thing, even encouraging it by literally naming a character "Poo."
>>
>>3235447
It's actually pronounced like Po with a double long O. So more like Poh-Oh.
>>
>>3235196
I don't typically do it, but the point is that you fucking can.
>>
>>3235613

Actually it's pronounced プー, which is a "Poo" sound with the line afterward indicating you're supposed to draw it out a little extra.
>>
>>3232393
It's a hit or miss game. You either have good taste, or you're a pleb. It's not your fault.
>>
>>3232393
>>
File: 1457399529211.jpg (103KB, 600x703px) Image search: [Google]
1457399529211.jpg
103KB, 600x703px
>>3232393
It's just ok. Not as good as hipsters/collectors/reseller scum say but its not as bad as epic contrarians say either.
>>
>>3232562
The game starts slow, and the first area of the game is arguably one of the more challenging parts if you don't take the time to grind.

It's an extremely common criticism about the game, and leads a lot of people to have the same reaction that you're having. So common, actually, that I can't believe we're still seeing threads like this in 2016
>>
Every single time I have visited this board since its creation, there has been an Earthbound shitposting thread. Why?
>>
>>3237259
Because it's the ultimate game that separates OGs from bandwagoners
>>
A game like this you really just play for the story, dialogue, characters, and any strange things you can see or do. Honestly the combat in these games is really dull and there's a lot of it. The only interesting part of the combat is the enemies themselves and whatever unorthodox text pops up in the text box for what the enemies do. If you're not interested enough in the story to bother with the poor gameplay itself then you can just play something else, nothing wrong with that. Games like this you either are willing to tolerate the shitty parts or you're not.
>>
>>3237259

Popular game.
>>
>>3237259
Because it hit that point where it transitioned from being a game perceived as underappreciated to being perceived as overrated, which attracts a lot of the shitposting contrarian crowd with their constant "I don't get what the fuss is about" posts. There are other games in a similair situation on /vr/(ex: Radiant Silvergun) but EB is the most extreme case.

/vr/ is at it's best when discussing more obscure games or systems.
>>
>>3232393
I'm on my first playthrough. Can't get past the Fourside Department Store. Halp.
>>
The cut scenes look really good for the time. The intro alone is pretty cinematic, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a fun unique game.. I'm not into RPG's much but I'd go back to this when I'm in the mood. It just takes a lot of patience
>>
File: 1464118438976.png (675KB, 567x839px) Image search: [Google]
1464118438976.png
675KB, 567x839px
>>3241561
What level are you? Mid to late thirties is the recommended. Also if you stocked up on bottle rockets have ness use psi rockin on the enrmies and spam your rockets on the dept store spook.
>>
>>3232407
>>3232396
>>3232421
>>3232547
Can we stop this "It's not my favorite game so it's shit" meme? If you don't like the game don't come in just to shitpost; come tell OP why you don't like it and why you think it is bad, or hide the thread.

I hate that /vr/ is so far towards /v/ levels of shit now.
>>
>>3241601
We don't like how it was the game that ushered in the modern "retro gaming" trend. As a game, it's fairly sub-par for a first party title. As a setting and narrative it has a certain juvenile appeal but that's not nearly enough to save it.
>>
>>3232393
>he goes into a game expecting to be impressed
first mistake

probably should have dropped all your preconceived notions on how to please other men at the door
>>
File: Paula.jpg (248KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Paula.jpg
248KB, 800x600px
Paula is cute!
>>
>>3241581
Bottle Rockets trivialize every boss, it's great.
>>
I would literally divorce my spouse if they didn't like Earthbound good thing that will never have a chance to be an issue amirite

Also I'm not sure why anyone who was born after 1990 would like it, because I'm not sure how they could possibly relate to it, unless they lived in a second world country growing up.
>>
File: 1421695710391.jpg (31KB, 500x535px) Image search: [Google]
1421695710391.jpg
31KB, 500x535px
>>3241837
>I would literally divorce my spouse if they didn't like Earthbound
You should read things back to yourself before you hit the post button.
>>
>>3241864
I am 100% not even joking

it would be worse than if they were a nazi anti-semite

I could at least sympathize with them then
>>
File: 1462747910513.jpg (128KB, 634x801px) Image search: [Google]
1462747910513.jpg
128KB, 634x801px
>It's a "I don't like that game you like" shit posting thread
>>
>>3241826
that's nice to know
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.