[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Controller thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: 1459281209619.jpg (2MB, 3700x2080px) Image search: [Google]
1459281209619.jpg
2MB, 3700x2080px
I'm looking to enhance my retro experiences. Playing with the keyboard hasn't been as comfy as I wished (playing games with keyboard + mouse is fine but two hands on the keyboard hurts my arms). Truth be told I never ever tried a controller on PC so I want to change that.

Any suggestions? What is /vr/ using?
I'm emulating NES, SNES, GB/C and GBA. Might end up emulating PS1 and PSP for their RPGs eventually too. Are those 3 bucks SNES controllers worth anything? http://www.gearbest.com/mice-keyboards/pp_261728.html I'm not exactly rich but I wouldn't mind putting more money into it considering how big my backlog is.
>>
>>3231664
>Are those 3 bucks SNES controllers worth anything?
no
>>
>>3231664
Considering what you're thinking of emulating, I'd suggest a genuine Sony PS controller (dual analog or later model) and any cheap PS to USB adapter. The brand doesn't really matter on the adapter. Even the cheapest piece of crap adapter should work just fine without needing any drivers. You just want to make sure that the controller is first party or a trusted brand.

If you're only going to emulate older Nintendo games, you can try to get a genuine Nintendo SNES controller and a cheap adapter, or you can try a generally trusted brand like Buffalo.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E

Many people here would also recommend a genuine Sega Saturn controller.

In general, avoid off-brand controllers. They're usually terrible quality with awful D-pads.
>>
A XBox One controller is plug and play.
>>
>>3231801
PS1 controllers aren't made for 5Vs, Have fun destroying controllers.
>>
>>3231810
I've never had a problem using a PS1 controller with anything.
>>
>>3231806
You can buy a PS1 controller and an adapter together for less than 1/3 the price.
>>
The new Hori Fighting Commander is excellent for older systems that don't need analog. Anything by Hork is generally top notch. It is USB,and works with every emulator I've tried.

For newer games, a 360 controller works well, though I haven't tried an Xbone controller yet.
>>
>>3231840
And isn't plug and play.
>>
>>3231664
Best overall option is a second hand ps1 controller + a 3 dollar USB adapter or a Wii classic controller with bit more expensive may flash adapter if you want a better dead. Generic and PC game pads are awful and adapters for real game pads are pretty cheap. Money is no object would be a proper arcade stick.
>>
>>3231801
I bought a USB NES controller that was kind of crap. I ended up just taking the PCB and putting it inside of a genuine NES controller and now it's perfect

The Bufallo SNES controller is pretty much perfect. I wish you could just buy the rubber contacts as replacement parts because they're the only good non-Nintendo contracts I've ever found, and it's be a shame to gut a bunch of Bufallo controllers just for parts (fortunately they're not very expensive though).
>>
stop being a cuck and just buy a super fami
>>
>>3231846
Plug controller into adapter. Plug adapter into USB slot. It's plug and plug and play.
>>
>>3231879
Windows wont detect it properly, kiddo.
>>
>>3231880
It's always worked for me for anything that I've ever emulated.
>>
>>3231883
You're a fucking idiot.
You can't even map keys to it with any of the PS1 emulators unless you have the drivers they recommend.

If it's detected at all.
>>
Wİİ classic controller or Buffalo SNES?
>>
>>3231886
I guess I must have had the drivers already. No need to be an asshole about it.
>>
File: Xboxonecontr.jpg (1MB, 1965x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Xboxonecontr.jpg
1MB, 1965x1014px
>>3231908
There's a lot of miss info about controllers out there. A huge amount. It's parroted so much. PS1 controllers being a big thing that's parroted.

They're a bitch to set up and need individual settings for games.

XBox one controller has a far superior dpad. It's plug and play. Lasts a stupid long time on a full charge. Wireless.
It's a better controller overall.

360 is cheaper but garbage. Dpad is horrendous.

PS1. Pain in the ass to set up. Still has odd deadzones. Wrong voltage.

Saturn. Idk. Seems to work ok I haven't messed with them on PC only real hardware.

Other USB controllers. Depends on manufacturer.
>>
>>3231801
Aren't there lags if you use an adapter though? i.e. making the controls less responsive.
>>
>>3231886
So you got a shit one. Everyone else in the world got a good one and has no problems. It's fucking hilarious how you're spouting off bullshit like some sort of guru because you're too stupid to buy a decent adapter.
>>
>>3232115
Yeah theres a bunch of these things floating around. Mine works fine without drivers, except the force feedback. Need the drivers for force feedback to work.
>>
>>3231972
I see you're just parroting stuff without actually trying one yourself?
>>
>ITT: A bunch of faggots who play Windows games talking out their ass

Xbox controllers are in fact often plug-and-play for modern games braindread monkey style like a console

Playstation USB adapters are plug and play as generic USB gamepads

Most emulators will need you to define keys and it's super easy. If they have predefined profiles it's equally possibly they'll have ones for Xbox controllers as for generic USB gamepads, or both.
>>
>>3231664
Just get the buffalo pad
>>
>>3231972
Of course there are lags. You're emulating sport. Or maybe you got a shitty adapter like the bozo who got one that needs drivers. But now, there's no reason you would have to have lag just because you're using an adapter.
>>
>>3231801
I have the buffalo snes it's great.
>>
Japanese Sega Saturn controller (or Hori third-party) with a PC adapter. Cheap easy and rock-solid.
>>
>>3231664
>Playing with the keyboard hasn't been as comfy as I wished

why would you even expect it to be comfy?

anyway, id say pic related is the only correct answer,with any console, but a 3d party usb copy is fine if youre not hc retro.
>>
got myself one of these cause saw it cheap and the fucking pad had separate buttons for each direction. it sux. had to switch it and now it feels fine.
>>
>>3231926
Xboner controllers suck

Why put the dpad UNDER the stick
>>
>>3234450
Why not?

I see this listed as a con a lot. Anytime I ask in /v/ why the fuck it matters I usually get no response or someone lists some shit game. I don't play much modern trash but in my book if a game wants you use the stick and dpad at the same time it's a trash game game. At least has trash controls.

So many dumbass kids rag on the Xbone controller and they don't even know how it was made. It's kinda sad that is what gaming has come to.
>>
>>3234456
Because using the stick, you're going to hit the dpad with your thumb joint by accident. Same with the black/ white buttons on the second gen Xbox controller
>>
>>3234464
My hands aren't malformed so no. It's not a problem for me.
>>
>>3234456
because for games that mainly use the dpad it feels like shit.
Also what that other dude said you will hit the stick a few times if you're playing fighting games and that will completely screw you over
>>
>>3234801
The dpad is a direct copy of Nintendo's dpad. Just has tactile switches.

This is the google parrot and plain ignorance I'm talking about.
>>
>>3234821
i wasnt talking about the quality, I was talking about the placement
>>
>>3234835
Like I said before I don't have malformed hands. Not a problem.

If anything the Wii U controller's dpad feels farther down and to the side. No problem with that either.
>>
>>3231841
>The new Hori Fighting Commander is excellent for older systems that don't need analog.
This thing looks awesome. Not a bad price too, think I'll get one.
>>
>>3234906
well you asked why other people dont like it so what does that have to do with you not having a problem with it?
>>
>>3234974
Just odd.
>>
File: DSCN3947.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3947.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
The only correct USB SNES controller is a real one.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=44
>>
>>3232418
>>3232578
I've heard the pad felt weird compared to a real SNES controller, how true is this?

On the other hand people are saying the rest is pretty much the same.
>>
I heard the GameSir G3s controller is good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019H5II8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ouLqxb1NG950R
>>
>>3231664
I have the 3$ Snes controller. They are fine as a spare but the D-Pad feels very mushy compared to the regular one (maybe this has to do with my SNES controller being well used and I'm used to that feeling now compared to a new controller?) and the body definitely feels really "cheap" but it works and it's a great spare for 3-4 player games if you don't want to spend big money.

Does anybody have an opinion on the cheap (15$) eBay N64 controllers from China/Hong Kong? I only have 1 real controller from when I was a kid and I want to have 3 spares for playing 4 player games without spending much money.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Game-Controller-Joystick-for-Nintendo-64-N64-System-Blue-FL-/111809450163?hash=item1a085cd0b3:g:e-QAAOSwd0BV4V2d
>>
>>3235667
It feels different. Most kids shilling it have never used an original pad so they don't know. It's not a very good controller. Certainly doesn't justify the price. But if you gotta have that hipster cred it's the only safe bet. I have a quality supplier of cheap chink controllers but that was after testing units from many, many different suppliers. There is a lot of shit tier shit out there.
>>
>>3231664
Saturn pad. End of discussion.
>>
>>3236074
Has nobody bought these cheap n64 controllers? I'm hoping to buy 2 controllers, maybe 3 so I can play some Super Smash with a couple friends. Are the sticks any good compared to the original or even the gamecube? Are the buttons mushy?
>>
>>3231801

>Turbo and Clear buttons

Awful

>>3236074
>>3239126

Also wanna know. I wanna play Mario Party again, but with actual N64 controllers and not using a weird mix of PS3, Xbone and 360 controllers.
>>
File: 1443440712607.jpg (22KB, 265x259px) Image search: [Google]
1443440712607.jpg
22KB, 265x259px
>>3239154
For the price it almost seems worth it just to try it out and have a spare for when a friend comes over infrequently Here you go bro, just like when we were kids you get to use the cheap unofficial controller I actually didn't do that, I only had the official controllers or I let my friends use the good controllers when they came over
>>
>>3239126

The N64 controllers are *okay*. The stick feels okay, but there's a huge deadzone. Hard/Impossible to use the full range for stuff like tiptoeing in Mario 64 or aiming the bow in Zelda. They should work fine for smash though.

The USB N64 controllers are even worse - the stick and the d-pad are mapped together (not a huge deal, most games use one or the other, not both), but the fucked up part is that the "analog" stick isn't actually analog at all. Just full on or full off. Again, might be okay for smash, but useless for goldeneye etc.
>>
File: stumpf.png (167KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
stumpf.png
167KB, 480x360px
>>3231806
you need a dongle first. dont spread lies
>>
>>3231894
Wii classic controller pro is way better
>>
>>3231664
PS4 pad + DS4windows. Works perfectly for absolutely everything and has great mapping for anything tricky you need to do. Just try not to smash your PC getting it bluetoothed. USB is a breeze.
>>
>>3239239
My plan is to buy a Flashcart and play a lot of games I used to have but Smash is one that I will be spending most of my time playing. If these cheap 12$ controllers won't work well in other games then I might as well not buy it. Do you have any recommendations other than the original controllers that are all worn out by now?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.